Lucasfilm announces Clone Wars theatrical release

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with most of what that Stravo guy said. There's only a three year gap between AOTC and ROTS, and Anakin got his Knighthood status at least one year into the Clone Wars or something if I'm not mistaken. That's an awfully tight timespan to be deemed as experienced enough to take on an apprentice. It definitely feels like a "shoehorned" last minute addition.

Didn't Obi Wan take on Anakin as soon as he was knighted?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Over yoda's objections.

Him getting ani as a padawan was mainly out of respect for Qui-gon, combined with the fact that he was going to do it anyways, regardless of the council's decision.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

The Third Soul wrote:. And the character's name makes her sound like an African tribal princess or something.:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Her name makes her sound like a certain bitch from Evangelion :P.
well

closestthing I could find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka_the_Great
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Darksider wrote:Over yoda's objections.

Him getting ani as a padawan was mainly out of respect for Qui-gon, combined with the fact that he was going to do it anyways, regardless of the council's decision.
The objections were based on Anakins suitability to be a jedi, not Obi Wan having been just knighted.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Why is everyone screeching about Anakin being Knighted and getting a Padawan? In only a couple years? Within a year of the Battle of Naboo Obi-Wan was knighted after the trials and Anakin his padawan.

Let's fast forward: The Clone Wars was a hectic time with numerous padawan's mentors being killed and leaving them abandoned, there are numerous statements about padawan's becoming knights and knights becoming masters long before they normally would, because the Jedi needed to replace their numbers.

It should come as no surprise that Anakin could have being knighted and gaining a padawan crammed within three years. Hell by the time Obi-wan thought he was ready to be knighted Yoda recognized that Anakin's exploits had far surpassed what the trials would require, and completely skipped the trials.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I'm excited about the show, but doubt I'll like it as much as the cartoon. The new art-style just doesn't lend itself to the over the top insanity that made the original Star Wars: Clone Wars so awesome.

SiegeTank wrote:The reality was of course that the tsars didn't really care, or even if they did, they proved incapable of doing anything about it. Once that became public knowledge, well, we all know what happened to the Romanovs in the end.
Well, there was this one good Tsar, Alexander II. He wasn't what I would call a competent administrator, but he was capable of doing something about improving the country's political system. The man freed the serfs, and he was about to grant Russia a constitution and legislature when he got blown up by a bunch of stupid extremists. His son and successor proved to be rather more authoritarian.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

*sigh*

I just wanted a nice, relatively tasteful LIVE ACTION show, with the script written by Aaron Allston (one of the few decent EU authors.)

Who wouldn't want to see a Rogue/Wraith Squadron show in the style of Band of Brothers with a little bit of nBSG thrown in?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

*raises hand*

I don't want any part of neo-bsg's "look at me i'm so fucking gritty" style of crap anywhere near SW.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Darksider wrote:*raises hand*

I don't want any part of neo-bsg's "look at me i'm so fucking gritty" style of crap anywhere near SW.

I meant styles like Band of Brothers, and nBSG that the Characters and story take precedence, as opposed to: "oooh look at all the pretty special effects!!!!11!!"

Call me old fashioned, but I think the effects should serve as a bacdrop for the story, and that the story shouldn't be created to pander to the effects or computer animation.

if the space battles used nBSG style special effects to depict Newtonian physics (Spaceships acting like spaceships as described in the x-Wing novels,) I wouldn't have a problem.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwrr-Y6KQmo

Ignore the Crappy music and examine 2:00-3:00 closely.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I misunderstood your statement then. I really only started to outright hate neo-bsg in season 3 when they turned it into the lee/kara soap opera hour, and removed any sense of light-heartedness or genuinely uplifting character development.

As long as they avoid that, I don't mind

As far as i'm concerned any series that deals with the rebellion/NR has to remember one thing. According to the movies, most of these people are genuine idealists, who believe they are fighting for the right cause, and that they can win, no matter how steep the odds against them are. They fight on no matter what, and don't give into dispair. There shouldn't be a rebel equivalent to Tigh.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

DrMckay wrote:*sigh*

I just wanted a nice, relatively tasteful LIVE ACTION show, with the script written by Aaron Allston (one of the few decent EU authors.)

Who wouldn't want to see a Rogue/Wraith Squadron show in the style of Band of Brothers with a little bit of nBSG thrown in?
You do realize that it's already been stated that there's going to be two SW television shows, right? One live action and one animated.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I thought the animated show would be the only one. As for a "Rebel Col. Tigh" -esque character, Darksider, See: Ton Phannan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton_Phanan#Ton_Phanan

Not that I want any show to go all livejournal-y I disliked most of nBSG season three too.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Call me old fashioned, but I think the effects should serve as a bacdrop for the story, and that the story shouldn't be created to pander to the effects or computer animation.
Since most sci-fi shows treat alien surroundings as mostly similar to backdoors USA, I like SW's emphasis on effects. It's not like it hasn't been that way since the very beginning. I like at least one universe to focus on the other-worldy.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

DrMckay wrote:I thought the animated show would be the only one.
No, the live-action is set to air sometime next year. So far all we know is it's set between RotS and ANH and it's rumored young Boba will be featured to some degree.

Additionally, Oz, McDiarmid, Christensen, Jimmy Smits, Wayne Pygram, McGregor, Temuera Morrison, and Peter Mayhew said they'd be interested in doing cameo's. I have a feeling Morrison is going to be making a lot of them. Finally Sam Witwer (The Secret Apprentice) has hinted he may be interested or may be in it.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sam Witwer's an awesome choice for the Secret Apprentice, and I've not yet seen him in the role (apart from the documentaries on the lucasarts website) - he impressed me on nBSG and he even made an impression in The Mist.

He just looks the part.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

DrMckay wrote:
Darksider wrote:*raises hand*

I meant styles like Band of Brothers, and nBSG that the Characters and story take precedence, as opposed to: "oooh look at all the pretty special effects!!!!11!!"

if the space battles used nBSG style special effects to depict Newtonian physics (Spaceships acting like spaceships as described in the x-Wing novels,) I wouldn't have a problem.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwrr-Y6KQmo

Ignore the Crappy music and examine 2:00-3:00 closely.
The quality of that video is really bad; I liked the music, though.
Are you talking about space combat acting essentially like a three-dimensional, high-speed game of "Asteroids"?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

For me, the most interesting about the video is the scene after Grievous shouts "fire" with the battledroids in the left and the purple rays running through a conduit to the right.

Very similar to one of the scenes in the films prior to the Death Stars firing the superlaser. Homage or something else?
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It's definitely a homage, but the implication is that he's commanding a superlaser weilding warship. Kinda like an early Eclipse.

There was an episode name leak early in 2007 that was called Destroy Malevolence. I have a feeling the second word is the name of the vessel.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Wait, I cant be reading some of the comments on here correctly, are some people here asking how Lucas is going to make this fit with the EU?
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Darth Ruinus, it seems to me that the Flannelled One can do whatever he wants, and the EU will just have fit with with him.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Darth Ruinus wrote:Wait, I cant be reading some of the comments on here correctly, are some people here asking how Lucas is going to make this fit with the EU?
He has never given a fuck what the EU is. He'll take what he likes from it, but the EU can go suck it's own cock for all George Lucas cares.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

The whole "Anakin's" padawan I think is getting misconstrued. In the Clone War comics after the Battle of Jabiim when Obi-Wan had gone missing Anakin was made Ki-Adi-Mundi's "padawan".

2 more things could have gotten Anakin a padawan besides the hectic environment that was the Clone Wars. 1) Probably what happend that Ashoka's master was killed off and the lack of available Jedi Knights left it for the council to give Anakin the role. The 2nd could be that since Anakin was the last Jedi left alive on Jabiim that would give him some credit and having a friend in Chancelor Palpatine wouldn't hurt. I mean, watch ROTS again (just very recently did) the Jedi Council doesn't seem surpised that Palpatine elected Anakin to be put on the Council but rather they seem surprised that he actually did it. Kind of like Palpatine was talking about it but no one believed that he would do it.... If that makes anysense whatsoever.

edited
Just watched the trailer....should have done that first probably but if you watch it again only that Falani guy says that she's Anakin's padawan. Plus Anakin dosen't seem thrilled to have another Jedi around and Ashoka never says that she is to train under and be Anakin's padawan in that small trailer we see. Just because someone is following someone else in a dessert dosen't mean they are an apprentice
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Master_Baerne wrote:Darth Ruinus, it seems to me that the Flannelled One can do whatever he wants, and the EU will just have fit with with him.
Thats what I meant.

I seems like people were wondering how George Lucas was going to make this series fit with everything the EU had already set.

As in, how HE would abide to what the EU had already said bout the Clone Wars.

Which kinda shocked me, as I thought this website generally hated the EU.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.