2007 Wings & Wheels Show (90+ Pics; No 56K!)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

2007 Wings & Wheels Show (90+ Pics; No 56K!)

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Last September, I attended the 18th Annual Wings N' Wheels show at Wings Field in Blue Bell, PA, USA (just outside of Philadelphia). It was mostly civil aircraft and autos, not something I normally go out of my way to see, but it was a nice day and only 25 minutes away, so I figured, why not? And I'm glad we went, because I saw some cool stuff. So, hopefully this is of interest to those of you who like aircraft or cars.

Larger versions of the images are available here. Most of my originals are 1600 x 1200, but the image host drops them down to 1024 x 768. That is a temporary situation, until I sign up for the paid service again. The last few originals are also 1024 x 768, because I was running out of room on the only memory card I brought along.

The pictures with numbers above them are vehicles I don't know anything about, so if anyone can fill me in (or help me complete some of the incomplete captions), let me know and I will edit the post.

I didn't get pictures of everything I wanted, but I also generally avoided taking pictures of specific aircraft I've seen at other shows in the area. I have them elsewhere and intend to get them up, eventually.

Enjoy!

One of the few military vehicles. This is a 1944 GMC CCKW:

There was also an M38A1 Willys Jeep around somewhere, but I had to delete some pics to make room for others as I forgot to bring additional memory cards.

1943 Piper J-3 Cub:

1969 Mercedes Benz Z80 SE Coupe:

Corvette:

Thunderbird:

Corvette:

Thunderbird:

Triumph TR-3A

1952 Jaguar XK 120 CPE:

Hm, that looks like a chess set made out of hood ornaments. Hey, that is a chess set made out of hood ornaments!

Chevrolet Corvair (notice the engine is in the rear):

Chevrolet Impala:

1965 Chevrolet Corvair:

Possibly a Piper Pacer something-or-other. I can't read the N-number or quite make out the model number on the nose. But it appears to read "Pacer 1??" (can't make out all of the digits).

1972 Breezy Pusher. This was one of several more unusual aircraft at the show:

Pfft. Canopies, windshields... Screw that!

Bomb-release lever.. er, throttle and mixture controls.

A single cotter pin holds the wing to the, um, "fuselage." No, not really. TWO cotter pins. No, not really.

This one of the other unusual aircraft. :) Can you guess why?

A-ha! It's a teeny-tiny little speck of a thing. Incredibly enough, all three of these men fit inside. It's like a clown car.

No, not really. It's a single-seater. Barely.

It's a 1992 Wilson Cri-Cri. The pilot stated it is fully aerobatic. He also talked of the aircraft being slightly hard to spot from other aircraft in the air. Hum.

Cessna 170:

2001 Pitts S-1-E:

Check out the transparent section under the instrument panel.

2003 Rutan Defiant. As you can see, it has an engine at each end of the fuselage.

Getting ready to take off. It did take off and then flew off somewhere. I was at the show for at least 30 minutes afterwards and it never returned. At least I never saw it return.

1962 Piper Cherokee 180:

1973 Cessna 172M:

1973 Grumman AA-1B:

1993 American General Aircraft Corporation AG5B:

1974 Chapman Pazmany PL-1. Hey, looky-see! It's a Luft-wanna-be. Ha!

This 1969 Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee belongs to the Knox County Flying Club in Owl's Head, Maine:

1952 Cessna 170B:

This Bell Jet Ranger was giving brief rides to paying customers.

This wrecker looks like a bulldog! It's a 1948 Ford C-5, custom modified from a tractor and is equipped with a 265 Chevy engine. More info here.

Red Corvette:

2006 Cessna 172BS:

Blue Corvette (and Red Corvette):

MG TD:

1944 Goodyear FG-1D Corsair, "Marine's Dream" (which I have seen at several other airshows). Its rather bare website is here. This aircraft mounts 6 .50 caliber machine guns, 3 in each folding wing. There was a 1944 GM TBM (carrier-based torpedo bomber) scheduled to attend, but it never showed up.

1948 Ford F-100 with matching canoe:

2007 Cirrus SR22. The taller of the two men near the aircraft's propeller was the Cirrus representative and VERY interested in talking about his aircraft! The trailer in the background apparently had a full Cirrus fuselage inside that visitors could examine, but I never made it inside.

1993 Pitts S-2B

Not sure what it is, but it's got a Corvette engine:

Closer view of the motor:

1995 Ferrari 348 Spider

Anyone seen Magnum? Here's a 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS:

1996 Rutan Long-EZ. Incidentally, the singer John Denver was killed in an accident while flying a similar aircraft. That fact was not mentioned at the show, however. I learned that looking up the aircraft on my own. In case anyone is wondering, the sign (that most likely no one can see in this small picture) on the nose reads, in part, "Yes I have a nose wheel but my owner parks me this way because I would tip over backwards. When we are ready to fly he picks up the front and extends the nose wheel, gets in and off we go."

Wings AND Wheels. I don't know anything about the car, but The T-34 in the background is owned by the company which has its name painted on the car:

1991 Staudacher S-300

Cessna 172RG with V tail:

Big Band!

1929 Travel Air Staggerwing

Dogs were supposedly not permitted on the field, however this fellow was walking around with impunity.

Flight Design CTSW:

Edit: Added a picture and some information.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2008-02-14 01:56am, edited 7 times in total.
Darth Mall
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mall »

Great pictures! I love that 52 Jaguar. The old Ferrari's look good too.

I've been in a plane just like that 2006 Cessna 172BS. I think it was a '01 172SP. Quite interesting with my friend flying it.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Darth Mall wrote:Great pictures! I love that 52 Jaguar. The old Ferrari's look good too.

I've been in a plane just like that 2006 Cessna 172BS. I think it was a '01 172SP. Quite interesting with my friend flying it.
Thanks!

Strangely enough, there weren't a lot of aircraft actually in the air at the show, other than the chopper, the Defiant and a few others that were up briefly. I'm planning to go again this year. Hopefully I'll get better pictures of some of the stuff I missed (and remember to take all of my memory cards!).
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Heh...Corvair.

Nice pics man, thanks for sharing. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

havokeff wrote:Heh...Corvair.

Nice pics man, thanks for sharing. :D
Thanks! I kinda like that Triumph TR-3A.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

That chess set is pretty neat.

Were there many more antique airplanes than the ones you photographed? That '29 Travel Air looks like fun.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Simplicius wrote:That chess set is pretty neat.

Were there many more antique airplanes than the ones you photographed? That '29 Travel Air looks like fun.
No, there weren't any others that I saw. According to the program, it was the oldest one there. There was supposed to be a 1930 Bellanca Skyrocket (it was listed in the program) but if it was on the field, I never saw it. A few of the listed aircraft weren't present and there were some present that weren't listed at all.

Here is another picture of the Travel Air.

The original large pic is here.