Desktop Thread Mk3

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Desktop Thread Mk3

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Well, the last desktop thread was posted in over a year and a half ago, so I figured I'd start a new one. If you're posting just a screencap of your desktop, would you mind posting a link to the original so people who like it can take it as well?

I'll start us off with the last three I've been using.

One I've got now.

Last one.

And the one before that.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Alright, where are those from?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Click the image for a fullscreen

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Zor wrote:Alright, where are those from?

Zor
The first two I got from an image search for Beksinski, the other one is...umm...a Mass Effect wallpaper.

Except that it's not, I'm pretty sure it's from EVE Online, just some asshole on the official Mass Effect boards slapped the logo on it and tried to pass it off as his own creation.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Emperor Karl Franz II (current)

Col. Samantha Carter (previous)

A Carter WIP (going to add Carter with AT4, Carter with M4, and Carter in Leather Jacket still)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Mine, found it somewhere in the depths of internetz.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

My ex-room mate Dev takes center stage for my current desktop:

Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Click to enlarge:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

My current desktop. Not going to change it unless I can find a better Superman wallpaper.

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yes, I finally broke down and used something Me themed. Sue me. I still maintain it's an awesome picture.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lambda 00
Redshirt

Post by Lambda 00 »

The one I used previous to today
The new one
Edit: Yes I have 3ds Max 7, 9, and gMax...One can never be too prepared. :wink:
Edit II: Argosh, that's DEFCON:
http://www.everybody-dies.com/
Edit III:
Skin: Windowblinds, Old Republic
Last edited by Lambda 00 on 2008-03-04 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
SD.net Celiac (Can't eat Wheat, Barley, Spelt, and Rye)
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Wallpaper: deviantART member Artgerm's "Pepper Mono", stretched to fit the resolution.
Skin: WindowBlinds member JJ.Ying's "Azenis2", on Windows XP. VLC media player is using a different skin.

As you've probably gathered, I prefer my desktop icon-less.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I'm currently using this one, and I was using this one before that. Can you tell I'm really looking forward to this mod?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Lambda 00 wrote:Edit II: Argosh, that's DEFCON:
http://www.everybody-dies.com/
Thanks for the id. :wink:
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Darth Mordius
Youngling

Post by Darth Mordius »

Synchrotron ahoy!
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

I generally use images that I made myself, and since I post my renders here in other threads, there doesn't seem much point in reposting them here. If anyone wants something other than what I've posted before, they can always ask.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Desktop background images are a strange idea. You can't even see it unless you're not doing anything, so why would you be looking at your computer? Unless every time you close a window you want to think 'awww yeah, my badass image, I am the man'? :lol:
Darth Mordius
Youngling

Post by Darth Mordius »

Stark wrote:Desktop background images are a strange idea. You can't even see it unless you're not doing anything, so why would you be looking at your computer? Unless every time you close a window you want to think 'awww yeah, my badass image, I am the man'?
Uh ... duh? Synchrotron? :D
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Stark wrote:Desktop background images are a strange idea. You can't even see it unless you're not doing anything, so why would you be looking at your computer? Unless every time you close a window you want to think 'awww yeah, my badass image, I am the man'? :lol:
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I have two systems running, and on the second, non-intensive work box I keep Trillian running and idle in the Dark Heresy chat so I can keep up with it. That only takes up a small corner of the screen, so I can see the desktop all the time.

For my main system, I guess it's sort of like a forum avatar or something - just a way to customize my set-up and give it some character instead of clicking around the computing equivalent of a sterile clean-room.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Stark wrote:Desktop background images are a strange idea. You can't even see it unless you're not doing anything, so why would you be looking at your computer? Unless every time you close a window you want to think 'awww yeah, my badass image, I am the man'? :lol:
Because I like it? And I'm not always running programs full screen, so I prefer to have a good looking image as the background instead of a featureless blue screen.
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Let me guess; you don't have any posters on your walls, do you?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

My desktop image is of me. So yeah, I do think that every time I close all my windows. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I know Stark basically hates EVERYTHING but I, too, fail to see the problem with your desktop looking nice. Yes, chances are when you're actually USING the PC for something productive you can't see it but what about the times you leave it running just in case? In case somebody shows up on AIM, in case somebody shows up in the fora you are in...
Not that I really see the problem with having a background picture you like to begin with, mind you.
Yes, maybe I'm not going to see it except in the few moments after booting.
That's a reason NOT to have a background picture I like how, exactly?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Incoming whatever it is has right of way

I go for a nice desktop picture because it's nice to look at when I'm not running things fullscreen, and it adds a dash of personality. I'd rather have one than have a boring empty screen.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.