"Rate my Rig" thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Ace Pace wrote:I need a second opinion on this rig for a friend:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
G.Skill DDR2 2048MB (1024MBx2) 800Mhz CL 4-4-3-5 HK
Leadtek WinFast PX8800GT GTB 512MB PCIe
Seagate ST350032AS 500GB SATA2

Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU 520W
Enermax Chakra ECA3052 BLUE
SUNBEAM TUNIQ BLUE LED FAN

ASUS DRW-2014L1T X20 DVD

1) Is the core setup of CPU/Mobo/RAM/GPU balanced? Preferabbly with an eye towards atleast a moderate OC?
2) Is the Case and PSU any good?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Don't know about the case, but everything else is fabulous.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I need help deciding which parts to put in my new system. So which is better:

Motherboard option 1: same as Ace Pace's, GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R. Notable features: Four DDR2 and 2 DDR3 RAM slots and advertised as "Ultra Durable 2 & Dynamic Energy Saver." Price: $141.99.

Option 2: GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6. Notable features: DDR2 1200 RAM, 2 PCIe x16 2.0 slots, dual gigabit lan, and onboard firewire. Price: $269.99

Ram option 1: Patriot Viper 2x2gb DDR2 800. Notable features: None, but is cheapest option at $106.99 before $15 mail-in-rebate.

Option 2: OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR2 800. Notable features: Big fat heat pipes coing off both sides of both sticks, looks really cool. 8) Price: $134.99

Option 3: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066. Notable features: runs at 1066MHz, also includes their own fan. Price: $179.00 before $40 mail-in-rebate.

Processor option 1: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. Notable features: cheapest option at $189.99.

Option 2: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Notable features: Quad core. Price: $254.99.

Option 3: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850. Notable features: Highest clock speed of any options. Price: Not much different then the Q6600 at $269.99.

This is the part I need the most help with. The E6850 has a higher speed then the Q6600, so will run better then it in any single threaded or dual threaded applications. It's only when you start getting into apps that are triple threaded or greater that the Q6600 gets better then the E6850. (or the E6750, for that matter...) So should I accept the performance hit now and future-proof my system, or should I stick with what I know will work? Or do I even need such a good Proc or just go with the cheapest option?

Graphics card option 1: EVGA Superclocked GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16. Price: $179.99 before $15 mail-in-rebate.

Option 2: EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16. Price: $229.99 before $30 mail-in-rebate.

Option 3: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI Express x16. Price: $414.99 before $50 mail-in-rebate.

There's absolutely no reason why all 3 of these are EVGA. They were simply the highest rated products in their chipsets on Newegg. Feel free to suggest ones that are not EVGA.

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 700W. Notable features: advertised as having an MTPF of over 100,000 hours and has 4 12v rails each running at 18 amps. Price: $134.99 before $30 mail-in-rebate.

Case: Raidmax Smilodon. Notable features: Tool-less design and 4 case fans, 2 80mm and 2 120mm. Price: $92.99.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

MB: Neither. DDR3 is expensive right now, and you can't use both DDR2 and DDR3. Dual PCIe X16 doesn't help much if you're not using crossfire. So get the P35-DS3R.

RAM: RAM is RAM, so long as you're using good stuff. 1066MHz is great... if you're overclocking.

CPU: E8400. Somewhat scarce in retail channels still, but cheaper and faster than the E6850.

GPU: 8800 GTS w/ 512MB RAM.

PSU: Seasonic M12-II 500W. Bigger isn't better.

Case: Antec P182. Bit more expensive, and not quite as tool less, but quiet as hell.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Well, I'm currently shopping around, so I suppose I'll post what I'm on the cusp of purchasing:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board DP35DP

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz

RAM: 4 x 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800 Mhz

GPU: GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

HD: 750GB SATA II 7200 RPM

Power Supply: Sparkle Power 650W ATX

Comments?
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Try and use 2x2GB modules instead of 4x1GB. Also, if you plan on overclocking, you'll have to choose another mainboard.

The 8800GTX really isn't worth it, especially with that CPU. You might as well get an 8800GT 512MB, which gives you similar performance at a much lower price.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Power supply is overkill, and GTX isn't worth it over GT unless you're running at 2560 x 1600. Other than that, it looks good.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Thanks guys. I don't intend to overclock and I had actually originally requested the GT, but they were willing give me a GTX for no additional cost, so I saw no reason not to take them up on it(I'm not worried about bad parts, because I also receive a 3 year complete parts and labor warranty).

The critique of the RAM setup and the power supply are noted, though.
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Just finished building my new Difference Engine:

Intel Core2Duo Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz, overclocked to 3.29 ghz
ThermalRight ultra 120 extreme heatsink with a Scythe ss21f 120mm fan.
2x2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 DHX RAM
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB by EVGA
Seagate 3.0 gb/sec SATA 320 and 500 GB drives
Seagate UATA 133 120 and 60 GB drives (from previous incarnation)
DVD-RAM
Antec 500W power supply
Matrox digital video IO card

3.29 is the highest I've pushed the processor so far. After repeated torture tests under 4-threaded prime95, it's still as solid as a rock and has not gone above 47 C.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Here's the new build I'm contemplating. I want something I can run Vista 64 in and get at least 2-3 years of reasonable computer gaming out of with minimal upgrades (Yeah, I'll end up needing new video cards in a year or two. I realize this is unavoidable). The reasoning behind the EVGA mobo/GPUs has nothing to do with being an EVGA fanboy (I've never used one of their cards) and everything to do with "one stop shopping" when something goes wrong. The less time I have to spend dealing with tech support the happier I am. My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, so I expect to be able to take advantage of the video cards.

In terms of processors I'm currently debating between the Q6600, the E8400, or the Q9450. I would *prefer* the Q9450, but given how hard it has been to find, I may go with the Q6600. I've also debated the Q9300.

Though this is primarily a gaming rig, I am uninterested in overclocking this system. Translation: I am scared to death of overclocking any system.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: Nine Hundred

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #: 132-CK-NF78-A1

(2) EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Model #: 512-P3-N841-AR

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply
Model #: CMPSU-620HX

(2) Crucial Ballistix 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA804
Model #: BL2KIT25664AA804

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
Model #: WD1500AHFD

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Model #: WD7500AAKS

(2) LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S

Advice or suggestions are welcome. I have been doing some research, particularly at Tom's Hardware, but I may have missed something.

Oh, I do intend for this to be an air-cooled system. I have zero experience with water cooling. This is only my 2nd computer to have been built personally, though I've done enough replacements to parts in the first one I may as well have built a second already.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So my computer is about five years old now, but I'm wondering if it's still "decent" or if there's some glaring weakspot in it.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Display Memory: 64.0 MB

So?

EDIT: And what's that (2CPUs) business? Am I like dual core or something?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

RogueIce wrote:So my computer is about five years old now, but I'm wondering if it's still "decent" or if there's some glaring weakspot in it.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Display Memory: 64.0 MB

So?
Depends on what it's being used for. As a general-purpose home office rig, it's probably fine. I'd have put a 2nd gig of RAM in by now, myself, even for home office use; but I like having a lot of memory.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Jaevric wrote:Depends on what it's being used for. As a general-purpose home office rig, it's probably fine. I'd have put a 2nd gig of RAM in by now, myself, even for home office use; but I like having a lot of memory.
I do like to use it forgames, too. While I'm sure high-end games would make it cry, what about for those within the stats I have? Basically I'm asking if there's something "weaker" than the others, or if my specs are generally on the same level.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

RogueIce
The graphics card is by far the weakest component. The problem is finding a replacement AGP card(the type of card you have) is going to be quite expensive today. Ebay hunting is really your best hope there.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

An AGP 7600 GS or GT would really transform your system, and I think you can still find them fairly cheap. AGP 3850 would turn it into a gaming powerhouse, but the CPU and RAM would hold you back and it might be more than you're looking to spend at ~$220.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Well, I'm finally getting around to the upgrade I've been wanting to do for over a year, now. I've already ordered half the parts I'll need, and with my next two checks I'll be getting the others. I'll be running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

New parts I have yet to order:
Core 2 Duo E8400 (if any come back in stock, otherwise Core 2 Duo E6850)
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1

New parts I've already ordered:
BFG 8800GT OC
2x Corsair Dominator 2GB (2x1 GB) DDR2 1066 ( yeah, I know, but the 2x2 GB dual-channel kit has been out of stock for weeks, and I didn't see any single modules)
Corsair CMXAF1 Fan

Current parts which I'll be reusing:

Antec Nine Hundred (3x 120mm + 1x 200mm fan = monster airflow)
Antec Truepower Trio 650W
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series
Lite-On 16x DVD±RW
Lie-On 16x DVD-ROM
Ultra 3½ Floppy/5-in-1 Card Reader Combo
2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA3.0 Gb/s
Belkin Wireless G Desktop Adapter
Thermaltake X-Ray (cup holder and cigarette lighter adapter)

I'm going that specific motherboard because it has all the new features I want, while still having 2 PCI slots for my sound and wireless cards. I would've preferred one with a 790i chipset, but both they and the DDR3 they use are out of my upgrade budget. Depending on how my temps are, I might take out the DVD-ROM (since I almost never use it) and get a pair of TriCool fans and set up the VGA wind tunnel that the case is capable of doing.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Update: The processor has just been ordered. Luckily the E8400 came back in stock at Newegg today, since it's 60 bucks less than the E6850 and presumably uses less power due to the die shrinkage. I also ordered a Zalman CNPS9700 NT. Next week the mobo will be ordered, so hopefully by the 28th I'll have everything in place for the upgrade.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

'Nother update: The motherboard has now been ordered. I got UPS Next Day Saver shipping on it, with rush processing added, so I should have it tomorrow and be up-and-running in time for my weekend off. :D
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Final update: Currently posting from the more beastly machine! Unfortunately, it appears one of my RAM sticks was DOA, so until I RMA it I'm only running 3 gigs. I'm also having trouble with my Copperhead (detected, but not moving, using a cheap Dell mouse in the interim) and with my X-Fi (not being detected, using onboard HDA). There are no x64 drivers for the Belkin F5D7000 v5 Wireless G card, so I'll probably pick up a D-Link WDA-2320 when I can to replace it. In the meantime, I'm using a Linksys WUSB54G v4 with unofficial x64 drivers. Other than these minor SNAFUs, most of which are caused by my using Vista x64, everything is running smoothly.

EDIT: I've solved the issues of the Copperhead (re-flashing the firmware fixed it), the X-Fi (oddly enough, it wasn't fully seated, and it won't seat when screwed to the back of the case, so it's currently stabilized by a zip tie), and the wireless card (found x64 drivers from Atheros, who makes the chipset the card uses). Unfortunately, the other RAM stick from the dead one's pair has evidently gone bad now. Meh, at least it's still fully operable at two gigs. I can run Crysis on Very High settings with no AA at my LCD's native res of 1280x1024, at ~30-40 FPS. Orange Box titles are 80-100 at max settings, with slowdown only occurring if I turn up the number of rendered portals all the way to 9. Even with the issues I had at first, I'd consider this upgrade a success.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I would appreciate any feedback on the following parts

Case: Beantech Igloo 9 Aluminium ATX Midi-Tower
+ Aluminium, removeable mobo tray, fanfilters
- only has 3 80mm fans

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 600 Watt

CPU: Intel CORE2DUO E8200

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R

Videocard: XFX GF 9600GT, 512MB, 1800/650MHz

RAM: Mushkin SP2-6400 2x2GB Kit, DDR2-800, CL5-5-5-18
Should I bother getting RAM without heatspreaders? Is it worth getting the exact same RAM with HS which would be slightly more expensive than the kit without?

HDD: Samsung HD501LJ, 500GB, SATAII

WLAN card: ZyXEL G-302 V3 PCI Adapter

CPU Heatsink: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, EN, DSP, SP1

Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module

And in case the case doesn't come with fans, or if they're shit, I'll get 3 Jamicon 80mm Fans

Thanks

Edit: The optical drive, soundcard, and a HDD (320GB) will come from my current computer
Last edited by [R_H] on 2008-05-01 04:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Should I bother getting RAM without heatspreaders? Is it worth getting the exact same RAM with HS which would be slightly more expensive than the kit without?
Unless you plan on OCing the RAM by over-volting it, no, you don't need heatspreaders.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Ace Pace wrote: Unless you plan on OCing the RAM by over-volting it, no, you don't need heatspreaders.
Don't plan on doing so. I'm considering getting 2 of those 4GB kits, or would that be overkill?
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Why not the E8400? Cost considerations or availability? They're only about $20.00 more in the US but are a 3ghz chip versus a 2.66ghz.
May also look at the 8800GTS(G92), which is a terrific card, probably more powerful than the 9600GT despite being a little older. Depends on what resolution you're running as well.
I'm considering getting 2 of those 4GB kits, or would that be overkill?
I'm running Vista 64 Home Premium myself, and I asked the same question over on Tom's Hardware -- I basically only got one response, and that was that the person hadn't seen any difference in performance between 4 gigabytes and 8 gigabytes on his system.

If someone on here has more experience and feedback I'd be glad to hear it also.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Jaevric wrote:
Why not the E8400? Cost considerations or availability? They're only about $20.00 more in the US but are a 3ghz chip versus a 2.66ghz.
They're about 70CHF more expensive here, and it doesn't really fit into my budget of ~1200CHF.
Jaevric wrote:
May also look at the 8800GTS(G92), which is a terrific card, probably more powerful than the 9600GT despite being a little older. Depends on what resolution you're running as well.
Again, an 8800GTS would be ~100CHF more than the 9600GT. My monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050, but a lower resolution wouldn't kill me while gaming.
Jaevric wrote:
I'm considering getting 2 of those 4GB kits, or would that be overkill?
I'm running Vista 64 Home Premium myself, and I asked the same question over on Tom's Hardware -- I basically only got one response, and that was that the person hadn't seen any difference in performance between 4 gigabytes and 8 gigabytes on his system.
Is there much of a difference between 2GB and 4GB though? Most of the new configurations being posted in this thread seem to be going with 2GB of RAM. I would be dual booting Vista (gaming) and some distro of Linux for everyday use.

If someone on here has more experience and feedback I'd be glad to hear it also.[/quote]
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I think you have the right idea [R_H]. You're unlikely to see any real difference between 2.66 and 3 GHz or between 2 and 4 GB RAM in gaming. You'd see a difference between 9600 GT and 8800 GTS, but I doubt it would really change the gaming experience much and the price difference is large. I'm running a 9600 GT and it's an amazing card, especially for the price. I run everything on high or max at 1680 x 1050 except Crysis, and even with that, most of the settings are on high.

Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Regular Vista or XP only recognizes up to 4 gigabytes of RAM, and from what I understand subtracts the RAM on your GPU from that total. For example, under regular Vista before SP1 my computer displayed as having 2.53 gigabytes of RAM despite having 4 gigabytes installed (running SLI video cards so a lot of GPU RAM). SP1 changed that and Vista displayed my computer as having 4 gigabytes of RAM but still couldn't access all of it.

Vista 64 otoh can actually use up to 16 gigabytes of RAM, assuming the software supports it. So 4 gig + the RAM on your video card is no problem. Anything past 4 gig may not be useful because most software just isn't written to work on more than 4 gigabytes, or at least that's my understanding.