An X factor Idea.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Omeganian
Jedi Knight

An X factor Idea.

Post by Omeganian »

Mr. Wong has written on his site about the Federation being Communist. Now, the theory is logical, except for one little flaw... How does it hold together?

The Soviet Union only survived by its natural resources. Had it not been able to import grain, it would have collapsed very quickly. It constantly stole technology to keep at West's level. If the feds survive, it must be due to an X factor.

Let's assume it is a library. An ancient and lousily protected database of an ancient race, which the feds found, and are now using to keep a sufficient tech level (they can't decipher something without first understanding the previous parts, so it goes slowly). Maybe they have also used it to build some machines to permeate the Federation with a contentedness field, if you understand what I mean.

Now the idea is, the library is stolen, and the machines are broken by some anti-communist group. The Federation will likely break down unless the database is retrieved. Now, the people sent to find it, upon confronting (and listening to) the stealers, are in a terrible dilemma between order and freedom...
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Your second post, and its the completely wrong forum.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

I think he's pitching this as a story idea.

What, pray tell, would this dilemma be? If you have a genuine conflict that make sense with what we know of the Federation, and it gets developed well, presumably this idea could work. This is a pretty vague outline, however.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Well, consider this a challenge then.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.