WTF is a 'ship'?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

WTF is a 'ship'?

Post by HemlockGrey »

I was hoping one of you could answer this. I showed a friend who is into fanfiction some of my earlier work, along with some WoT + Black Company fiction, among other things, and he kept asking 'Do you do ships?' 'What is this ship'?

WTF is he talking about? He goes on incessenantly about them, like it's some coy joke I'm supposed to get. Ever see the Monty Python sketch with the guy who keeps going 'Know what I mean? Nudge nudge, wink wink?'.

He's like that. I have no fucking clue what he's talking about, only I know that when it comes to Harry Potter, it involves Harry and Ron. WTF?

Actually, he's not really my friend. Just an acquitence. Someone I met a few years ago. I don't actually know him all that well...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ship?

No idea.
JADAFETWA
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

By the sound of it, he might mean "ship" as in "relationship", meaning a fanfic that is particularly biased toward a romantic pairing between two characters(whether it makes sense in the context of the source material or not).

Other than that, no idea.
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

I think they're also referred to as "slash" fanfic sometimes, because of the way it's expressed in the title (*/*).
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Bad Acid
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Rhoades
Youngling

Post by Rhoades »

Judging by the intuendo and references. 'Ship' definately is short for relationship. On that note, shippers refers to author who prefer a certain couple, ie Buffy/Willow. But, they don't always have to be slash.