Idea for WTC replacement...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Barad-Dûr for WTC-replacement... what say you?

Yay
57%
Nay
43%

Total votes: 30

Deimos Anomaly
Village Idiot

Idea for WTC replacement...

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

How about building a perfect full-scale replica of the Tower of Barad-Dûr topped out with a giant holographic Eye of Sauron.

All in favor say yay
PROUD TO
BE A
BRIT!

Ich werde Sie töten!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Uhmm.... Image
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

It'd have to be next to a replica of minas morgul or Isengard.
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Indeed a good idea.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

I like it. However, could there also be a happy face to alternate with the Eye of Sauron? It would just give the tower a more happy appeal. :)
One True Spoon
Youngling

Post by One True Spoon »

...And to protect from further attacks by planes, the Nuzgul could patrol the area...
"There is only one [True Spoon], only one who can wield it. And he does not share [Spoons]."
-Gandalf
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

One True Spoon wrote:...And to protect from further attacks by planes, the Nuzgul could patrol the area...
Okay, now that would be cool.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
meNNis
Padawan Learner

Post by meNNis »

paladin wrote:I like it. However, could there also be a happy face to alternate with the Eye of Sauron? It would just give the tower a more happy appeal. :)
[/qoute]...And to protect from further attacks by planes, the Nuzgul could patrol the area... [/qoute]

muaha.. those would both kick ass
<middle finger> Fuck political correctness </middle finger>

"Most people are of average intelligence." ~ Wicked Pilot (I happen to disagree)

Anti-PETA / Anti-Facist League

PROUD to be a Libertarian-American-Warmongering-Warsie-Asshole, Thank you.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
One True Spoon wrote:...And to protect from further attacks by planes, the Nuzgul could patrol the area...
Okay, now that would be cool.
What are you talking about, the Naz'Ghul already DO patrol the area. Its NYC for fucks sake.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

I could imagine conspiracy maniacs would have a field day if that was built, fortress of doom, and the eye and all.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

So, do we build Orthanc in the UK, as they seem to be our lackey? :wink:
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

paladin wrote:I like it. However, could there also be a happy face to alternate with the Eye of Sauron? It would just give the tower a more happy appeal. :)

I think the space would beter used for advetising. How much money do you think Coca-Cola would pay to put their logo there?

(this idea brought to you by Sewer, Gas, & Electric)
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Raxmei wrote:I think the space would beter used for advetising. How much money do you think Coca-Cola would pay to put their logo there?
Hey, show some respect for the dead.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Barad-Dur isn't tall enough. IMO, it should be at least as tall as the WTC was.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

We could dig a cool moat of lava around it too, and create a lot of smoke around it
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
blkmage
Redshirt

Post by blkmage »

Yay... I think the planes will leave it alone once they gaze into the Eye of the Dark Lord Sauron and fear is etched into their minds...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

that would be definately better than this piece of crap:

http://www.wtc2002.com/start.lasso

which wouldnt even be half bad if it wasnt for the 2 most idiotic concepts of the roof. *shudder* :evil:
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

salm wrote:that would be definately better than this piece of crap:

http://www.wtc2002.com/start.lasso

which wouldnt even be half bad if it wasnt for the 2 most idiotic concepts of the roof. *shudder* :evil:
God, damn that's a hideous design.

Barad-dur would kick ass. Could we find Bin-laden and stick his head over the gates?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

i favour this proposal:

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The best serious proposal I saw was for a complex of skyscrapers centered around a central plaza where the main monument would be. They'd restore the street grid to what it was before the WTC was built, and the buildings themselves would be built in a more early-20th century style, to blend in with the classic skyscrapers of Lower Manhattan. The central building would be taller than the Petronas towers by nearly a hundred feet.

The biggest problem I've seen with most WTC replacements (those that wouldn't be an utter engineering nightmare to build) is that 1) they're piss ugly, and 2) they look even more completely out of place in the skyline than the towers did. The biggest complaint people had about the WTC from the beginning was that they totally ruined the symmetry of the skyline and they were complete architectual misfits in Lower Manhattan. Replacing them with something uglier, more unbalancing, and more out of place is a sub-deal solution.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

What about one big, low and wide building instead of two tall and thin buildings??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:What about one big, low and wide building instead of two tall and thin buildings??
no way! that´s like saying: "hey terrorists, you did your job well, we´re now scared to build high buildings"
meNNis
Padawan Learner

Post by meNNis »

salm wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:What about one big, low and wide building instead of two tall and thin buildings??
no way! that´s like saying: "hey terrorists, you did your job well, we´re now scared to build high buildings"
i concur. i suggest whatever we build be at leas as tall, if not preferably taller than the origninal WTC. i actually think a perfect replica of the original WTC would be nice, but if we could make something taller.... :twisted: :twisted: FUCK OFF TERRORISTS!!

ps, on a side note, that URL posted above to the WTC building site.... is HORRIBLE...... *gag
<middle finger> Fuck political correctness </middle finger>

"Most people are of average intelligence." ~ Wicked Pilot (I happen to disagree)

Anti-PETA / Anti-Facist League

PROUD to be a Libertarian-American-Warmongering-Warsie-Asshole, Thank you.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

meNNis wrote:
salm wrote:
i concur. i suggest whatever we build be at leas as tall, if not preferably taller than the origninal WTC. i actually think a perfect replica of the original WTC would be nice, but if we could make something taller.... :twisted: :twisted: FUCK OFF TERRORISTS!!

ps, on a side note, that URL posted above to the WTC building site.... is HORRIBLE...... *gag
naaah! a perfect replica would be like deniing what happened. the attack took place and there´s nothing we can do about it but put up a new building which honours the dead. a model of the original will be placed somewhere i´m sure.
i´´m not saying that it should be less impressive than the original. it should be bigger, taller, better than the original, but not the same. the old one is gone, now it´s time for a new one.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

How about this.

Four towers all in a row.
(going from left to right , looking from Iraq) 2nd and 4th are same height, 1st is slightly shoter and 3rd is much rtaller than the rest.

note: you can do a really good impression of this with your fingers, try it.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!