Original Song vs. Cover

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Original Song vs. Cover

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I thought it would be interesting to compare interpretations of various songs by different bands, it doesn't even have to be the original vs. a cover thereof, it's fine to compare two covers as well. I'll start with a couple.

Land of Confusion
Original by Genesis
Cover by Disturbed

I listened to the Disturbed version first, and didn't know it was a cover until reading the video comments. I grew to like the Genesis version much better. The cover has a somewhat angry tone, and after paying attention to the lyrics, it really doesn't match what the song is saying. Not only that, there's little emotional variance, the stanza that starts with "I remember long ago..." should feel tender, but it doesn't at all. Disturbed's singing really seems to just be going through the paces, there's really not much feeling behind it. Another example is the lines, "But I can see the fires still alight, they're burning into the night." They stick out when Genesis sings them, but when Disturbed does it they sort of get lost amongst everything else.

Of the two videos, I like the original better as well. They both seem to deal with the subject of the song only tangentially, the lyrics don't exactly fit what's going on. The video that goes with the Disturbed version, done by Todd McFarlane btw, is a bit "cooler", but the pure crazyness that is the Genesis video is more fun.

How I Could Just Kill A Man
Original by Cypress Hill
Cover by Rage Against the Machine

The cover is better, hands down, in all categories. RAtM took a mediocre rap song and turned it into pure awesome. The music, the way they sing the lyrics, the emotion behind them, everything is superior by a long shot.

The music videos are kind of meh, on the one hand Cypress Hill's video isn't very good, on the other RAtM's music video is just one long commericial for themselves and has nothing to do with the song. So I'm going to hand it to Cypress Hill for staying on topic.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The cover Blitzkrieg by Metallica is better then the original Blitzkrieg by Blitzkrieg.

Two ties I can think of are the original Easy by The Commodores and the cover Easy by Faith No More. Also the original Hurt by NIN and the cover Hurt by Johnny Cash. I know that most people favor the Cash version, even Reznor, but I find them equally powerful.

The Boys of Summer by Don Henley is far superior to the Ataris popcrapulastic cover.

I really like Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith over George Micheal's original version. It's just way more fun.

More to come...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Waiting 4 - Peter Gelderblom

Technically it's a remix, and not really a cover, but it has my favourite lines in it: Standing in line to see the show tonight and there's a light on / By the way I tried to say I'd be there / Danni the girl is singing songs to me beneath the marquee...

I think the RHCP version is of course, a lot more relaxed, but it's nice to find a dance version of an old favourite. I'm listening to Filthy Rich's What You've Been Waiting 4 Remix at the moment.
XXXI
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Judas Priest is king here.

Mediocre Fleetwood Mac original
Priest obliterates the original

Diamonds and Rust, a silly love song about Bob Dylan.
Diamonds and Rust, a fucking beautiful and mellow heavy metal masterpiece. (Note, this is the best youtube I could find of it, Halford's voice is a little shaky in this particular performance)

Of course there's Bob Dylan's dull "All Along the Watchtower" and Jimi Hendrix's mind-bendingly incredible magnum opus, but that goes without saying.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The cover has a somewhat angry tone, and after paying attention to the lyrics, it really doesn't match what the song is saying.
I didn't know it was a cover for a long time, either - but I like the Disturbed version better, since I think the song sounds better angrily sung.

I've always liked the Goldfinger cover of "99 Red Balloons" more than the original German version (particularly since they sing the second-to-last stanza in German).

I vastly prefer the Quiet Drive version of "Time After Time", although it's still fairly generic stuff.
The cover Blitzkrieg by Metallica is better then the original Blitzkrieg by Blitzkrieg.
Speaking of Metallica, I really like their cover (or rather, variation, since it is a folk song or something like that, apparently) of "Whiskey in the Jar." It's probably my favorite Metallica song, next to a certain StarCraft mix of Metallica's "One."
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Covers that are better than the original:

Red Harvest - Dead Men Don't Rape (GGFH)
Anal Stench - Stripped, Raped and Strangled (Cannibal Corpse)
Anorexia Nervosa - Solitude (Candlemass)
Behemoth - Until You Call On the Dark (Danzig)
Emperor - Cromlech (Darkthrone)
Illdisposed - Cromlech
Grope - ...And Justice For All (Metallica)
Graveworm - I need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)
Fear Factory - School (Nirvana)
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Scarlet Begonias--Jimmy Buffet (Grateful Dead)
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I would have to say that Tool's cover of Zeppelin's "No Quarter" is better. Tool's version is just awesome. My favorite part of the song is during the breakdown. It starts off with clean guitar and then the bass kicks in. The tone of the bass is excellent. Then an acoustic guitar comes in, playing over the clean electric and the bass. And finally, the electric plays with the reverse tape delay effect. It is simply amazing.

I also think 311's cover of "Love Song" is better than original.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Speaking of Metallica, I really like their cover (or rather, variation, since it is a folk song or something like that, apparently) of "Whiskey in the Jar." It's probably my favorite Metallica song, next to a certain StarCraft mix of Metallica's "One."
Don't forget their cover of Seger's "Turn the Page." Ditching the sax in favor of slide guitar really made it into something awesome in my opinion.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

Some covers I find interesting for one reason or another:

Hazy Shade of Winter by Bodyjar

The original Simon and Garfunkel version was excellent, but they were such nice guys I don't think they gave their own song the anger and despair it deserved. My favourite cover ever.

Faith by Limp Bizkit

I don't like George Michael or his songs, but Limp Bizkit make this rock... pity about their new stuff.

Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins

An awesome cover I find interesting because I've never heard the original. I heard the Dixie Chicks version and I think they robbed it of the personal nature Billy Corgan gave it.

American Pie by Madonna

How NOT To Do A Cover 101. This song is epic and holds many special memories for a lot of people. Don't give it a dance feel and don't skip any verses. WHAT? She did fucking what to the song? Oh for fuck's sake...
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey look Zuul posted a buch of death metal I've never heard of. THAT never happens. :lol:

JLTucker
Yeah... I know a lot of people like A Perfect Tool and think they are all godly and stuff, and I have heard that cover. Yeah... No one should cover Zeppelin.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Motley Crue's cover of Helter Skelter is much better than the original Beatles' version, and still better than the version from Across the Universe which I think is a bit of a cross between the two versions.

Other than that I like a lot of more rock oriented covers of good songs.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground
RHCP video, Stevie's Funky version, RHCP live on Arsenio, RHCP Live on Letterman

Queensryche's cover of Simon & Garfunkle's Scarborough Fair
S&G audio version, Queensryche audio with a bunch of LOTR movie stuff :roll:, Another Geoff Tate version

Korn's cover of Cameo's Word Up is cool, although I think the official video is kind of lame.

Cameo, try not to laugh at the guy's cod piece. :lol:, Korn's video with all the dogs :|, Korn, live on Jimmy Kimmel 8)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

havokeff wrote:Hey look Zuul posted a buch of death metal I've never heard of. THAT never happens. :lol:
moar like centurymediacore :P

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting by Flotsam & Jetsam - Elton John
The Sound Of Silence by Nevermore - Simon & Garfunkel
Kneel To the Cross by Agalloch - Sol Invictus
My Sharona by Destruction - the Knack
Whiplash by Motorhead - Metallica
Nazi Punks Fuck Off by Napalm Death - the Dead Kennedys
I'm Alive by Luca Turilli - Helloween
Nailed To The Gun by Halford - Fight
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
Red Star
Padawan Learner

Post by Red Star »

Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting by Nickelback, I prefer this version over Flotsam & Jetsam or Elton John

Holy Diver Original by Dio but I prefer the Killswitch Engage version

Simple Man I like both versions so I cant decide between Shinedown or Lynyrd Skynyrd
I become death, destroyer of worlds.

Rule 37: "There is no 'Overkill.' There is only 'Open Fire' and 'I Need to Reload.'"
Schlock Mercenary
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

No mention of Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower or Zeppelin's cover of When the Levee Breaks yet?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Zuul wrote:Graveworm - I need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)
So I know you're a huge fan of death metal or whatever, but no. Just no. The original is way better.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Qwerty 42 wrote:No mention of Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower or Zeppelin's cover of When the Levee Breaks yet?
Naturally, Hendrix's version is better than Dylan's original version. Since Hendrix basically made the song his own, what with Dylan now covering Hendrix's cover when he performs it, I'm going to have to go with the other cover we all know: Bear McCreary's cover for Season 3 finale of nBSG. The BSG cover is a lot neater, but Hendrix just has more passion in it than Bear's brother.
XXXI
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Qwerty 42 wrote:No mention of Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower or Zeppelin's cover of When the Levee Breaks yet?
I think the fact that I'm a fan of both and know that they are covers and yet still didn't think of them suggests just what amazing covers they are.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

RogueIce wrote:
So I know you're a huge fan of bland corporate melodeath metal or whatever, but no. Just no. The original is way better.
Bothering Rye is fun :P
Phantasee wrote:
Naturally, Hendrix's version is better than Dylan's original version. Since Hendrix basically made the song his own, what with Dylan now covering Hendrix's cover when he performs it, I'm going to have to go with the other cover we all know: Bear McCreary's cover for Season 3 finale of nBSG. The BSG cover is a lot neater, but Hendrix just has more passion in it than Bear's brother.
Best still is Yul Anderson's cover version of it. Imeem has a clip of his version, and if this doesn't make you a Yul Anderson fanatic after hearing it, then check your pulse, 'cause you're probably a soulless corpse.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Ahem. :P
I wrote:Of course there's Bob Dylan's dull "All Along the Watchtower" and Jimi Hendrix's mind-bendingly incredible magnum opus, but that goes without saying.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Twoyboy wrote:Some covers I find interesting for one reason or another:

Hazy Shade of Winter by Bodyjar

The original Simon and Garfunkel version was excellent, but they were such nice guys I don't think they gave their own song the anger and despair it deserved. My favourite cover ever.
You missed the Bangle's version from the movie "Less Than Zero", with Robert Downey Jr.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Johnny Cash stealing Trent Rezner's Hurt?
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

RogueIce wrote:
So I know you're a huge fan of death metal or whatever, but no. Just no. The original is way better.
Obviously, my post is not aimed at beardy darkthrone bedwetters or those who do without a shitload of guitars and drums in their listening material.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well since he's the most covered musician of the 20th century

Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) who sings in mono tone <<< most bands covering a Dylan song

Example:
It Ain't me babe- Cash+Carter duet >>> better then Dylans
All Around the Watchtower- Hendrix >>>>>>>> Galactica Version <Bob's original....

Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door" in the context of the Good Old Sheriff's Death Scene in "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid">>All other covers of the damn song since it's been done to death as a movie death theme >>> Bob's regular version of the song<<<<G&R's Regular cover of the song.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin