Original Song vs. Cover

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

A lot of these are just "Woooo! Hard rock is intrinsically better than classic rock!" rather than the song ACTUALLY being better in, say, the sense that the cover better represents the lyrics poetic ideas (Trent Hurt vs. Cash Hurt) or the song is presented with superior musical ability (Name a song by Leonard Cohen).

Victory of Style Over Substance ITT.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Zuul wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
Zuul wrote:Graveworm - I need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)
So I know you're a huge fan of death metal or whatever, but no. Just no. The original is way better.
Obviously, my post is not aimed at beardy darkthrone bedwetters or those who do without a shitload of guitars and drums in their listening material.
All the better for the emasculate heavy-pop music aficionados I suppose. :lol:

Seriously though, if it hasn't sunken in yet, I don't think you're less of a person or anything for listening to what you do. I obviously don't like it and you don't like what I listen to and that's all there is to that, so why you're being prickly about it is beyond me.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

My Humps-Alanis Morrisette far superior to the awful Black Eyed peas original. Especially in the context of the video

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: Seriously though, if it hasn't sunken in yet, I don't think you're less of a person or anything for listening to what you do. I obviously don't like it and you don't like what I listen to
On the contrary, I usually like the stuff you listen to. I don't even mind darkthrone. I don't like darkthrone fans, however, because every single one that I've ever talked to, online or in real life, has been a snobbish retard that wants to lecture me on how to be as boring as them.
and that's all there is to that, so why you're being prickly about it is beyond me.
You mentioned/belittled me twice in this thread before I responded, beardo. I don't hold that against you, particularly, I just know you're just like every other darkthrone fan I've ever met, and that means ignoring you whenever you pipe up on what bands other people should listen to.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Zuul wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: Seriously though, if it hasn't sunken in yet, I don't think you're less of a person or anything for listening to what you do. I obviously don't like it and you don't like what I listen to
On the contrary, I usually like the stuff you listen to. I don't even mind darkthrone. I don't like darkthrone fans, however, because every single one that I've ever talked to, online or in real life, has been a snobbish retard that wants to lecture me on how to be as boring as them.
And what do you think you're doing when you snap at casual music fans in this forum for listening to nu-metal, eh? You've got a shitty attitude when the shoe is on the other foot, Suzie.
and that's all there is to that, so why you're being prickly about it is beyond me.
You mentioned/belittled me twice in this thread before I responded, beardo. I don't hold that against you, particularly, I just know you're just like every other darkthrone fan I've ever met, and that means ignoring you whenever you pipe up on what bands other people should listen to.
The stench of hypocrisy is fucking rank in here thanks to you, Fool. I was amicable and not the least bit hostile when I first came on here and simply for saying "I tend to prefer more traditional styles of black metal" in one of your innumerable Anaal Nathrakh threads, you launched into some headless screeching rant about how I must be some kind of anti-fun elitist who would be listening to party tunes and other 21st century analogues to Motley Crue if I was genuinely laid-back like you. I've lost my patience for your egalitarian snobbishness, which predates this thread for over a year at least. I'm not going to be the patient doormat anymore. Your claim of ignoring me falls flat on every count, most notably right here in this very thread, and this can't go on like this any more.

If you want to look down your nose at people for listening to nu-metal and toss disdainful remarks their way for your amusement, know that there's nothing to keep you from getting a dose of the same medicine. After all, what's good for the gander is good for the goose, so don't rant at me and try to kill the messenger from inside your glass house.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

G&R's Regular cover of the song
Guns and Roses cover of that song is fucking terrible. Every cover they do is bad. Their cover of "Live and Let Die" for instance, completely destroys the sonic contrast that made the song good in the first place.

The covers I really hate are the shitty acoustic-covers of popular rap songs that are popular with the hip-indie set these days. Ben Folds did some retarded piano cover of "Bitches Ain't Shit," there are a couple of acoustic covers of "Baby Got Back" and "Hey Ya" floating around. It's just so unnecessary- "Hey, let's take this popular black music form and whiten it up by sucking all the life and fun and energy out of the song and setting it to a few acoustic chords! Isn't this IRONIC?" Mandy Moore did a cover of "Umbrella" that, while not intended ironically, still managed to take a good, catchy pop-song and make it irredemably dull.

The ONLY time this has ever worked is when the Gourds did a bluegrass cover of "Gin & Juice", because they actually respected the song and gave it its own groove.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

HemlockGrey wrote:The covers I really hate are the shitty acoustic-covers of popular rap songs that are popular with the hip-indie set these days. Ben Folds did some retarded piano cover of "Bitches Ain't Shit," there are a couple of acoustic covers of "Baby Got Back" and "Hey Ya" floating around. It's just so unnecessary- "Hey, let's take this popular black music form and whiten it up by sucking all the life and fun and energy out of the song and setting it to a few acoustic chords! Isn't this IRONIC?"
Sometimes I imagine Alderaan as being entirely populated by indiefuck hipsters, and I smile. That's seriously annoying.
Mandy Moore did a cover of "Umbrella" that, while not intended ironically, still managed to take a good, catchy pop-song and make it irredemably dull.
Some random producer dude with what I found to be actually good traditional metal pipes did a metal cover of that song. I thought it was amusing until my sister told me that everyone and their mother has a cover of it, but it's still alright.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zuul wrote:
Ok, Zuul? WTF is 'darkthrone'? Is it someone who doesn't like Death Metal?

See, why I ask is simple: I don't like anything you've posted of DeathMetal, because I don't like DeathMetal at all. It reminds me of my little brother and his best friends going into my dad's work shop late on a summer night and recording "Coconut Brainwash: Greatest Hits", which was nothing more than them BSing around trying to sound as stupid and moronic as possible. Garbled lyrics, overly-loud guitar-mashing, using saws, coke-bottles, and anything in reach as drums.... The themes that Coconut Brainwash joked about in the early 80s (murder, misogyny, etc) seem to have been all wrapped up in a shiny package as Death Metal.

The worst part? Coconut Brainwash I could at least listen to, knowing it was a JOKE.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

LadyTevar wrote:
Zuul wrote:
Ok, Zuul? WTF is 'darkthrone'? Is it someone who doesn't like Death Metal?
It's his catchall phrase for someone like me who doesn't like listening to the metal equivalent of squeaky-clean pop music.
See, why I ask is simple: I don't like anything you've posted of DeathMetal, because I don't like DeathMetal at all. It reminds me of my little brother and his best friends going into my dad's work shop late on a summer night and recording "Coconut Brainwash: Greatest Hits", which was nothing more than them BSing around trying to sound as stupid and moronic as possible. Garbled lyrics, overly-loud guitar-mashing, using saws, coke-bottles, and anything in reach as drums.... The themes that Coconut Brainwash joked about in the early 80s (murder, misogyny, etc) seem to have been all wrapped up in a shiny package as Death Metal.

The worst part? Coconut Brainwash I could at least listen to, knowing it was a JOKE.
I'm not going to stick my neck out very far in defense of what you've targeted, mostly because I think it's a joke, too. What I will say, though, is that like any other music genre, there tends to be a public face that gets a bad rep and some less visible material that's a lot better for the choosing. The "raurgh kill mash vaginal nailbomb" bands are looked on as the latter-day equivalent of a cheesy Manowar anthem by anyone over the age of 15 who isn't a... well, an apt candidate to become the kind of person their lyrics focus on. Some death metal, on the other hand, discusses cosmic themes, religious criticism, and in some cases, left-wing anti-corporate criticism. This is the stuff I don't have to stifle groans when I listen to it, and consequently tend to focus on.

If you don't care for how it sounds, though, then there's really little that can be said to put anything in perspective as per your point on childish mutilation lyrics. What I would ask you, though, is do you listen to any other kind of dissonant music? Modernist classical or free jazz or anything like that? If not, then I'd definitely understand how death metal would sound like a directionless jumble.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
Qwerty 42 wrote:No mention of Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower or Zeppelin's cover of When the Levee Breaks yet?
Ahem. :P
I wrote:Of course there's Bob Dylan's dull "All Along the Watchtower" and Jimi Hendrix's mind-bendingly incredible magnum opus, but that goes without saying.
Ach, mea culpa.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

HemlockGrey wrote:
G&R's Regular cover of the song
Guns and Roses cover of that song is fucking terrible. Every cover they do is bad. Their cover of "Live and Let Die" for instance, completely destroys the sonic contrast that made the song good in the first place.
:lol:

GNR's cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door is okay. I agree with you about Live and Let Die. GNR was in their full blown, "We are rock stars!" phase of the "Use Your Illusion" era so they were doing that song to see who could wank more to it, Axl or Slash.

I wasn't crazy about their cover of Sympathy for the Devil but it's kind of grown on me. Their absolute worst cover is Hair of the Dog. It's just plain awful when compared to the Nazareth version. Plus, it seems obvious to me that half the reason GNR is doing the song is so Axl can over emphasize the lyric "bitch".

Ooooh, how cool, how rock-n-roll rebel. :roll:

Just so people don't immediately think I just hate GNR. I think GNR's Appetite for Destructio is one of the best albums ever. It, Back in Black and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band are the albums I am most likely to listen to all the way through. I won't even listent to most greatest hits compelations all the way through without skipping something.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I think GNR's Appetite for Destructio is one of the best albums ever.
Appetite for Destruction is indeed fantastic album and one of the best hard rock albums ever. The problem is after that Guns 'n' Roses tried to just amp everything up even more, and that resulted in overblown pretentious nonsense like "Civil War" and lame guitar-wanking like "November Rose".
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

The Highwaymen (Not only did they steal the song from Jimmy webb, but they formed a group named after the song so today absolutely nobody knows that that the song was in fact not written by johnny cash..)
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
The Yosemite Bear

The three hit songs written by Kris Kristoforson. "Me and Bobby McGee", "Sunday Morning Comming Down", and I temporarally forget the third. Were all hits for other people...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

LadyTevar wrote: Ok, Zuul? WTF is 'darkthrone'? Is it someone who doesn't like Death Metal?
No, a black (initially death) metal band from norway that shunned modern production methods and claimed that a genre of music was as much or more defined by attitude and ideology as actual music. Suffice it to say, while some of their stuff is good, it sounds like it is recorded outside the studio in a steel bin and is frequently pretty boring.

Example. They and their fans represent an intolerably lame "conservative" movement within black metal, which is something I can only laugh at as patently ridiculous (and worse, boring). They're full of scorn for anyone that does what they want in the way they want it.
See, why I ask is simple: I don't like anything you've posted of DeathMetal, because I don't like DeathMetal at all.
I didn't initially, but once I "got" it, that changed.
It reminds me of my little brother and his best friends going into my dad's work shop late on a summer night and recording "Coconut Brainwash: Greatest Hits", which was nothing more than them BSing around trying to sound as stupid and moronic as possible. Garbled lyrics, overly-loud guitar-mashing, using saws, coke-bottles, and anything in reach as drums.... The themes that Coconut Brainwash joked about in the early 80s (murder, misogyny, etc) seem to have been all wrapped up in a shiny package as Death Metal.

Yes, I'm sure Cannibal Corpse believe they actually are cannibal corpses. And your bro sounds like he was making some retarded grindcore rather than death metal, which tends to be a much more polished product, musically.
TithonusSyndrome wrote: And what do you think you're doing when you snap at casual music fans in this forum for listening to nu-metal, eh? You've got a shitty attitude when the shoe is on the other foot, Suzie.
I wasn't snapping at them for listening to nu metal you silly bearded bastard, for one, I wasn't being serious in calling someone a "false metaller", and for another, I explained in that thread I was rebuking someone in a silly manner for thinking CoB sound like Slipknot, not for listening to Slipknot, which is something I have no issue with. Hell, I like Slipknot. And Korn. And Deftones. And Machine Head's "Burning Red" album. Listening to nu metal doesn't raise ire from me.
The stench of hypocrisy is fucking rank in here thanks to you, Fool. I was amicable and not the least bit hostile when I first came on here and simply for saying "I tend to prefer more traditional styles of black metal"
And that marked you out as a darkthrone fan that has lived up to the stereotype I mentioned earlier. Not seeing any issue here.
If you want to look down your nose at people for listening to nu-metal and toss disdainful remarks their way for your amusement, know that there's nothing to keep you from getting a dose of the same medicine. After all, what's good for the gander is good for the goose, so don't rant at me and try to kill the messenger from inside your glass house.
What makes you think I dislike nu metal? Ironic parodies of "true metal" retards?
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Zuul wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: And what do you think you're doing when you snap at casual music fans in this forum for listening to nu-metal, eh? You've got a shitty attitude when the shoe is on the other foot, Suzie.
I wasn't snapping at them for listening to nu metal you silly bearded bastard, for one, I wasn't being serious in calling someone a "false metaller",
and for another, I explained in that thread I was rebuking someone in a silly manner for thinking CoB sound like Slipknot, not for listening to Slipknot, which is something I have no issue with.
That certainly wasn't clear - all that got across was that someone wasn't living up to your standard of what ought to and ought not be metal, and you were giving them a taste of the medicine you so hate to receive.
Hell, I like Slipknot. And Korn. And Deftones. And Machine Head's "Burning Red" album. Listening to nu metal doesn't raise ire from me.
And you think Darkthrone-style metal is boring? :lol: Come on, when every song is a series of predictable farty-sounding "bwarp-bwa-bwang-bwang" notes being pulled off from low frets, you're not on very solid ground to cast stones at me for raising my standards above some simple and obviously banal formulas.
And that marked you out as a darkthrone fan that has lived up to the stereotype I mentioned earlier. Not seeing any issue here.
The fact that you're being a holier-than-thou cunt about it. I know this seems like an opportunity to superciliously huff about irony to you, but the fact remains, Suzie, that I'm not trying to force my taste in music on people any more than you are (as per your latest stance anyways) - I'm just being honest about what's shitty, formulaic cookie-cutter melo-metal being churned out ad nauseum by major labels that differs minutely from one album to the next and brings nothing new to the table. I don't want to hear rehashes of Iron Maiden and In Flames melodies, I don't want to hear spick and span brocore rearrangements of some Suffocation riffs, and I don't want to hear trem-picked notes arranged at random a la Marduk or Belphegor. I don't want to hear what's already been done to death a thousand times, and that includes a lot of the bands you'd tar me without investigation as being solely interested in. If you want to listen to any old thudding guitar being pushed off the assembly line by Andy Sneap or Devin Townsend and cobbled together color-by-numbers, that's your business, but you look like a gigantic imbecile when you cry and flail and whinge about what a killjoy I am when I point out that your 21st century analogs to Motley Crue are just interchangeable party anthems with all the menace of an old man's Halloween display.
What makes you think I dislike nu metal? Ironic parodies of "true metal" retards?
Your unambiguous remark to that effect that you're now trying to retcon as something else?
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

So that's what that smiley is meant to represent. It works fantastically against such a dark background.
That certainly wasn't clear
Rye wrote:Taste is not the issue, the issue is thinknig[sic] slipknot sound like Children of Bodom.
And you think Darkthrone-style metal is boring?
Yes.
Come on, when every song is a series of predictable farty-sounding "bwarp-bwa-bwang-bwang" notes being pulled off from low frets, you're not on very solid ground to cast stones at me for raising my standards above some simple and obviously banal formulas.
Whatever the reason "traditional black metal" a la darkthrone is significantly duller to listen to than Godflesh, Dimmu or Korn, it's not something worth getting wound up over. Much like people who swear by power violence or Sunn0))) I'm just going to file it under "difference of opinion."
brocore
No idea what this means.
Marduk or Belphegor.
Are fucking ace.
I point out that your 21st century analogs to Motley Crue are just interchangeable party anthems with all the menace of an old man's Halloween display.
How does an old man's halloween display differ from a young man's, or an old woman's? What's wrong with listening to music for enjoyment anyway? :lol: Is that not why you listen to music?
Your unambiguous remark to that effect that you're now trying to retcon as something else?
I've never begrudged people for listening to slipknot. According to last.fm they're my 23rd most listened to band.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Zuul wrote: That certainly wasn't clear
Rye wrote:Taste is not the issue, the issue is thinknig[sic] slipknot sound like Children of Bodom.
[/quote]

Right, which makes them a "false metaller" for not knowing - and to that, you have nothing but your silly backpedaling over what your true intentions were when you said it.
Come on, when every song is a series of predictable farty-sounding "bwarp-bwa-bwang-bwang" notes being pulled off from low frets, you're not on very solid ground to cast stones at me for raising my standards above some simple and obviously banal formulas.
Whatever the reason "traditional black metal" a la darkthrone is significantly duller to listen to than Godflesh, Dimmu or Korn, it's not something worth getting wound up over.
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion about what is or isn't dull, inexhaustive and superficially based though it may be, but after you've flown into a snit several dozen times about my being an "elitist", Suzie, you don't have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to telling people not to get wound up.
brocore
No idea what this means.
Ug-ug tuffguy hardcore written by "bros" for "bros", a la Terror, Madball, Divine Heresy. Don't know if you have it on that side of the pond or not because most of the bands this catchall-term applies to tend to have their roots in bonehead hardcore from Orange County and more than a small smattering of Pantera, but over here, it's a fucking plague.
Marduk or Belphegor.
Are fucking bland as hell and could have significant portions of any of their songs switched for any other notes picked at random and not sound any different.
Here, I think this is what you were aiming for.
I point out that your 21st century analogs to Motley Crue are just interchangeable party anthems with all the menace of an old man's Halloween display.
How does an old man's halloween display differ from a young man's, or an old woman's?
Red Herring.
What's wrong with listening to music for enjoyment anyway? :lol: Is that not why you listen to music?
How can you enjoy predictable music? If I know what's coming next and it's no different than any other fucking album in the same vein being pumped out, my reaction tends to be "ugh, not again," not "whee, the same thing as before!" I stopped being amused by the exact same thing over and over sometime around eighteen months of age when the same old rattles and chew toys weren't cutting it. Maybe you just haven't picked up on these patterns?
I've never begrudged people for listening to slipknot. According to last.fm they're my 23rd most listened to band.
Whatever, if the case happens to be that you listen to Slipknot then I'll concede it as it's not especially relevant. It's consistent with your taste if nothing else.

Anyways, in the interests of mutual understanding and all that, If I were to throw out a guess as to what exactly you liked to listen to and what you looked for in music, I'd have to say you're drawn more to a certain tonal quality of the instruments than to their arrangement. It's more important to you that the instruments have a certain tone than that they have certain chord patterns or use certain scales. In all honesty, I probably listen to a lot less metal and a lot more contemporary orchestral music for this reason. I want to hear unpredictable things, you want to hear a certain sound in instruments. Is this at all accurate?
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: Right, which makes them a "false metaller" for not knowing - and to that, you have nothing but your silly backpedaling over what your true intentions were when you said it.
It also had a smiley after it, it was not serious by any stretch.
Ug-ug tuffguy hardcore written by "bros" for "bros", a la Terror, Madball, Divine Heresy. Don't know if you have it on that side of the pond or not because most of the bands this catchall-term applies to tend to have their roots in bonehead hardcore from Orange County and more than a small smattering of Pantera, but over here, it's a fucking plague.
Oh, that's popular here now, yes. Not really my thing, but I can grasp why people like it. I do like deathcore, though.
How can you enjoy predictable music?
I don't know how or why some things are monumentally more satisfying than others. Take, for instance, the Berzerker's 20 minute song "Farewell"... that's very plodding and repetitive but it's rare I'll skip it.
Anyways, in the interests of mutual understanding and all that, If I were to throw out a guess as to what exactly you liked to listen to and what you looked for in music, I'd have to say you're drawn more to a certain tonal quality of the instruments than to their arrangement. It's more important to you that the instruments have a certain tone than that they have certain chord patterns or use certain scales. In all honesty, I probably listen to a lot less metal and a lot more contemporary orchestral music for this reason. I want to hear unpredictable things, you want to hear a certain sound in instruments. Is this at all accurate?
Possibly. It would also half explain why I like deathcore but not metalcore, for one. I also think I listen to the rhythm and how that's mixed up more than chord progressions and the like. So stuff like The Amenta is a decent example, as is the song "Self Bias Resistor" by Fear Factory. I enjoy most music that's really bassy sounding and rhythm heavy.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Zuul wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: Right, which makes them a "false metaller" for not knowing - and to that, you have nothing but your silly backpedaling over what your true intentions were when you said it.
It also had a smiley after it, it was not serious by any stretch.
Conceded, as stated earlier.
Oh, that's popular here now, yes. Not really my thing, but I can grasp why people like it. I do like deathcore, though.
"Brocore" is just an umbrella term for that attitude that pervades certain bands within that style of music, and can cross the line from deathcore to metalcore. Divine Heresy is a perfect example, which is the only time that band and the word "perfect" will share any sentence.
How can you enjoy predictable music?
I don't know how or why some things are monumentally more satisfying than others. Take, for instance, the Berzerker's 20 minute song "Farewell"... that's very plodding and repetitive but it's rare I'll skip it.
I think there's a difference between music that has ambient, droning qualities, and music that attempts to stimulate by keeping the tempo and chord patterns at a certain rate but inevitably fails by not putting their own stamp on it, nevermind innovating.
Possibly. It would also half explain why I like deathcore but not metalcore, for one. I also think I listen to the rhythm and how that's mixed up more than chord progressions and the like. So stuff like The Amenta is a decent example, as is the song "Self Bias Resistor" by Fear Factory. I enjoy most music that's really bassy sounding and rhythm heavy.
I think some music benefits from strong production, don't get me wrong, I've never denied that. The link to Origin's MySpace is a perfect example of that, because their music is very busy and demands a certain level of clarity in order for every note to be heard. Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, the first Decrepit Birth album, mayyyybe the last two or three Immortal albums... I just think that most bands have very flat, mid-heavy tone (Like Slipknot, for instance, ironic considering how few mids there are) or they just fall into writing mishmashes of riffs that end up being featureless and unstimulating, like Skinless or Belphegor. I can't hear or feel the sweat and the labor and the love of playing when it's been pitch-corrected and tempo-adjusted and has that ugly ProTool gloss over it, for the most part. When a band is fucking ON POINT and play tight as a rivet on their albums, like Origin or Absu do, then it's really fucking exhilarating. I don't smell anything fake about that, and I hate being duped.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

With something more on topic..

Richard Cheese's version of 'Down with the Sickness' almost made me shit a brick when the lyrics clicked and I realized just what he was singing. Evidence

It made me snap a bunch of his tracks off of napster to.
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

Rush's cover of The Seeker was pretty kick-ass.
The Yosemite Bear

The tune by the Who?

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: The Sound Of Silence by Nevermore - Simon & Garfunkel
That was horrible. They weren't even singing. How in the world can think that was better than Simon & Garfunkel's original? That was even worse than Marylyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams". As much as I hate to sound like an old fogey, that stuff isn't music; it's just noise. To each his own and all that, but ich.

Not that either song is really awesome, but McKuen's "Seasons in the Sun" is far better than Jack's cover. Why the latter was such a hit I can't fathom. I think I like Brel's original version best, but I don't believe what McKuen came up with could really be called a cover.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter