favorite religious songs

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Another one that I'm recalling right now. The Theme song from "The Wire"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Baba Yetu, also known as the Civilisation 4 theme.
The lyrics are actually the Lord's Prayer in Swahili (Least IIRC it's Swahili, certainly one of the African languages)
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I've always enjoyed Elvis' "How Great Thou Art" from his 1970's concerts. He keeps the traditional feel with the gospel harmonies (his backup groups were all gospel singers), but then kicks it up a notch with his band, a full horn section, and orchestra. He always managed to get an extra long standing ovation with that one.

Actually, almost any gospel music from Elvis is top notch. I think the only grammies he received were for gospel (which goes to show how much of a joke the grammies are... but that's another story :wink: ).
Aquatain
Padawan Learner

Post by Aquatain »

Not being Christian myself i much prefer a really old folksong to commentate the flight of one of Odin's ravens :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VtcFYUj-6OI
There Lives More Faith In Honest Doubt,Belive Me,Than In Half The Creeds. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

"Amazing Grace" and "O Holy Night" are right at the top for me. Actually I got that Celtic Woman Christmas set (I think it was the 07 version, not sure) and quite a few of them were very nice as well. So most Christmas music of the religious sort can get me. "Silent Night" being one of them.

My mind is totally blanking on titles though. :(
Lord Pounder wrote:Jeff Buckley does an amazing version of Hallelujah. Same with Rufus Wainwright, when he's not stoned.
I second this. There's no doubt some other religious music I'm missing as well.

And I'm not even going to try to get into the classical stuff. Just way too much there. :)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In the Sky :)

Amazing Grace

Battle Hym of the Republic - I mean it's got the glory of the Lord and stuff about a sword. It's kind of cool. 8)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.