IG-88 vs Master Chief

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who is the winner?

Master Chief
57%
IG-88
43%

Total votes: 14

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

IG-88 vs Master Chief

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

The Assassin Driod IG-88 vs Master Chief.

Senario 1.

Master Chief is subbed for Boba Fett at Cloud City.

Senario 2.

Master Chief and IG-88 face off in the deserted Rebel Base on Hoth.

Senario 3.

MC and IG-88 face off in the Imperial throne room on DS2..... in front of Vader, Dark Side Luke, and the Emperor. IG-88A is NOT in the DS2 computer core.

*note: In the given senarios MC faces only ONE IG-88 model.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: IG-88 vs Master Chief

Post by Kuja »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:The Assassin Driod IG-88 vs Master Chief.

Senario 1.

Master Chief is subbed for Boba Fett at Cloud City.
Last I checked, Master Chief does not have an Ion cannon. Dead.
Senario 2.

Master Chief and IG-88 face off in the deserted Rebel Base on Hoth.
Unless he manages to rig up some incredibly useful trap in the few minutes it takes the droid to find him, dead again.
Senario 3.

MC and IG-88 face off in the Imperial throne room on DS2..... in front of Vader, Dark Side Luke, and the Emperor. IG-88A is NOT in the DS2 computer core.
Face to face? He's dead and doesn't realize it.

Think about this. Neuronic whip, sonic stunner, flamethrower, flechette granades, concussion grenades, gas grenades, blaster-tipped fingers. All encased in a body that can take SW-level explosions, reflect blaster bolts (the palms are mirrored), can see 360 degrees in multiple wavelengths, with motion and sound detectors. Yes, the Master chief is a walknig dead man.
JADAFETWA
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Alright, now how about an unbiased opinion from someone who read the book.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:Alright, now how about an unbiased opinion from someone who read the book.
Fuck off. You ask for an opinion and you get one.
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Assassin droids are considered a match for Jedi Knights.

And Boba Fett won because of cunning and a tad bit of Luck.

Master Chief is decent but facing something that usually is faced by pre-cog superhuman fighter, with a weapon that deflects blaster shots.

Sorry IG-88 takes this one.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

All right, just to present the appearence that I am unbiased...

Just what, exactly, is the Master Chief capable of? What weapons does he use?

Because if they aresn't SW-level, he's gonna be dead meat BIG TIME.
JADAFETWA
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I wanna hear the Halo fans views on this now. :P

But maybe a better match would be IG-88 Vs. Skaffen-Amtiskaw. :twisted:

Oh and there are multiple IG-88s aren't there? Have them all fighting at once.
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Well lets see what we can infer about the Mast Chief.

1. He doesnt have to breath.

2. His shield system can stop any weapon up to a large bazooka type weapon and still regenerate (the 12' tall aliens with the laser bazookas did not kill you in one shot)

3. His shield system destroyed anything physical that tried to latch onto him. (the Flood minis exploded on contact unlike how they reacted to normal humans or aliens)

4. He has a perfect stealth system. Never once is his presense in the game detected until someone spots him visually. This is even when he is inside the Alien cruiser.

So we can infer that in a fight between the two IG-88 will be limited to visual sensors to track the Master Chief. The fight though will really depend on the weapons the Master Chief carried. My favorite loadout was varied with who I was figting.

Against aliens - Blaster rifle and sniper rifle.

Against Flood - Blaster rifle and combat shotgun.

Against IG-88 I would carry a blaster rifle and sniper rifle. The blaster rifle took down ANY shield it hit in three shots no matter what. The sniper rifle killed everything it hit with a head shot. Furthermore I would make sure to have a full load of plasma grenades. Those grenades stuck to a target when they hit and you never saw any enemy pull one off which suggests that you cannot remove them.

IG-88 will have superior reflexes but most of his weapons are useless:

Neuro whip - Does what to a shielded cyborg?
Sonic Stunner - Same as above
Flamethrower - No chance against shield
Flechete Grenade - Will slowly degrade shield
Concussion Grenade - This one will hurt just as grenades in the game
Gas Grenades - Master Chief is in a sealed enviro suit.
Blaster tip fingers - This should function as well blasters in the game. This is IG-88's best choice of weapons to use.

So there is no sensor advantage between the two and weapons are roughly equal since IG-88 is designed to deal with unshielded humans. So it comes down to reflexes, situation, and the overall damage inflicted by the weapons the two carry.
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Oh I also forgot that the Master Chief's suit can interface with active stealth systems that make him 99% invisible to sight (he is just a slight blur).

He can also interface with a shield supercharge system that triples his normal shield strength with the two extra shield layers being ablative in nature and lasting until they are blown off via weapon impact.

If the Master Chief has these two items when he goes into combat I give him a slight edge.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

DocMoriartty wrote:Well lets see what we can infer about the Mast Chief.

And I doubt given his sealed nature of the suit IG-88 is going to use gas.
2. His shield system can stop any weapon up to a large bazooka type weapon and still regenerate (the 12' tall aliens with the laser bazookas did not kill you in one shot)
Extrapolation because of game mechanic...I might as well say Katarn is the greatest Jedi is existence because his shield can withstand At-ST shot...do you have any calculation of the weaponry used against him?
3. His shield system destroyed anything physical that tried to latch onto him. (the Flood minis exploded on contact unlike how they reacted to normal humans or aliens)
An even further extrapolation...just because one thing does....does not mean all things do.
4. He has a perfect stealth system. Never once is his presense in the game detected until someone spots him visually. This is even when he is inside the Alien cruiser.
A far fetched extrapolation...just because the game doesn't spot you until you're seen is because of game mechanics...not because of actually sensory array.
So we can infer that in a fight between the two IG-88 will be limited to visual sensors to track the Master Chief. The fight though will really depend on the weapons the Master Chief carried. My favorite loadout was varied with who I was figting.

Against IG-88 I would carry a blaster rifle and sniper rifle. The blaster rifle took down ANY shield it hit in three shots no matter what. The sniper rifle killed everything it hit with a head shot. Furthermore I would make sure to have a full load of plasma grenades. Those grenades stuck to a target when they hit and you never saw any enemy pull one off which suggests that you cannot remove them.
Any calculations that any of this will be able to pierce IG-88?

Also given that Iggy carries weapons on the caliber of Han and above(possible something akin to a CE disruptor)...Master Chief better have some incredible shielding...and so afr no one has offered any say on the level of damage asorbation the shielding contains.

Flechete Grenade - Will slowly degrade shield
Concussion Grenade - This one will hurt just as grenades in the game
Blaster tip fingers - This should function as well blasters in the game. This is IG-88's best choice of weapons to use.

So there is no sensor advantage between the two and weapons are roughly equal since IG-88 is designed to deal with unshielded humans. So it comes down to reflexes, situation, and the overall damage inflicted by the weapons the two carry.
IG-88 is meant to deal with Jedis...Master Chief never once in the book(and please less gameplay since they only serve to benefit the player and hardly indicative of any stat collecting) was on par with that.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

He is a character in a video game. How else are you going to stat him except to take items out of the game?

The Caretaker a basketball sized freefloating AI system powerful enough to travel between star systems could not detect the Master Chief except visually.

Has SW ever shown a tech level high enough to allow travel between stars by basketball sized devices?

I merely listed off all of the weapons because someone else listed them as assets of IG-88. Fair says you explain why they cannot be effective.

The Master Chief also possesses superhuman strength since he easily and quickly flips over crahed vehicles with one hand since he does so with a weapon still drawn.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ghost Rider wrote:
DocMoriartty wrote:
And I doubt given his sealed nature of the suit IG-88 is going to use gas.
He still needs to see, doesn't he?
Extrapolation because of game mechanic...I might as well say Katarn is the greatest Jedi is existence because his shield can withstand At-ST shot...do you have any calculation of the weaponry used against him?[/quote]

Agreed. Do not rely on game mechanics. If I relied on game mechanics, then I could say IG-88 can take a dozen concussion missiles to the face before dying.
A far fetched extrapolation...just because the game doesn't spot you until you're seen is because of game mechanics...not because of actually sensory array.[/quote]

OK, are the aliens actually USING anything beyond LOS detection or are you pulling this out of your ass?

Don't use game mechanics. Blkbrry said there was a book, correct? And plasma grenades stick! Oh goody! Prove that they'll actually HURT IG and that MC will actually be able to land them on his body.

Can pierce armor.
He's got ears doesn't he? This isn't an energy weapon, its a sound wave.
It can melt through DURANIUM. Prove it can't hurt the shield.
They will obscure his vision.
IG-88 is meant to deal with Jedis...Master Chief never once in the book(and please less gameplay since they only serve to benefit the player and hardly indicative of any stat collecting) was on par with that.
And personal shields are common in SW. You don't think IG's weapons can pierce them? As for reflexes, IG was activated, became sentient, and killed ten people without using any of his personal weapons in roughly TEN SECONDS. He also ripped a reinforced door off its hinges and tossed it aside. He can also heat his body to incredible temperatures to burn through armor and possible your ubershield.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

DocMoriartty wrote:He is a character in a video game. How else are you going to stat him except to take items out of the game?

The Caretaker a basketball sized freefloating AI system powerful enough to travel between star systems could not detect the Master Chief except visually.
Whoopee, it's small. Every SW starship comp can travel between stars. That's nothing special.
Has SW ever shown a tech level high enough to allow travel between stars by basketball sized devices?
And this affects the fight HOW?
I merely listed off all of the weapons because someone else listed them as assets of IG-88. Fair says you explain why they cannot be effective.
I'm not saying they aren't. You haven't proved they are.
The Master Chief also possesses superhuman strength since he easily and quickly flips over crahed vehicles with one hand since he does so with a weapon still drawn.
GAME or BOOK?

Even if it is the book, that's nothing special. IG manages to keep up with a landspeeder, throw a busted droid arm like a javelin hard enough to pierce all the way through a human rib cage, and crunch through reinforced windows with a punch. In other words, MC still doesn't have an advantage over him.
JADAFETWA
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

You don't want me to use game material for the Master Chief but you want to use the even more pathetically ludicrous material put out by WEG? When did that poor game material become canon?

Give me a fucking break.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Because games are considered the worst sort...and yes he used WEG...but a great deal of this was already used in novels.

So unless you want to keep spouting insults...you're basically saying because MC does these things in Halo he can do them anyway even though a game is engineered for the player and throws all sense of anything useful to the wind(or any SW debate over X-Wings vs ISD will quickly be destroyed by that in a game I cn kill and ISD....ALONE in my X-wing even though time and time again that was proven to be wrong)

So either post some evidence from the novel...or basically shut up.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Okay, here are some facts I got off mates from the past on Halo Spartan abilities so bear with me, I'm just a messenger.

-Can run a klick in 32 seconds flat.

-Carry 30MT portable nukes

-At age 14 they could lift 3 times their own body weight (they have a lot of GM and cybernetics).

-At 14 their reaction times are rated around 20 milliseconds quicker.

-(By SandwormPhish) Okay.. some info on the MJOLNIR armor.

Multi-layered alloy w/refractive coating to increase resistance to energy weapons.

Gel-filled layer to maintain temperature. Can also reactively change density.

Moisture absorbant cloth layer that constantly regulates temperature and the fit of the suit.

Onboard computer that interfaces with standard neural implants (apperantly yet one more toy the SPARTANs have)

The armor's inner structure is composed of a metal liquid crystal. This doubles the wearer's strength and enhances the reaction time of a normal human by 500%.

-ECM is used in combat by suits.

Uhh, I'll find some more stuff. Have at it.

:D
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

At least this is something...as for the 30MT nuke as weapon in the capability of the Rocket launcher or in a case of self destruct device?

DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Halo was a game first and a poor novel (probably along the lines of the Doom novels second). Obviously the game which came first is the canon material.

All the poor material he wrote about came out of WEG (a RPG as poor as any shooter game) and was later copied from WEG material into novels.

But we can put this at the level you want to. You shut up.

Ghost Rider wrote:Because games are considered the worst sort...and yes he used WEG...but a great deal of this was already used in novels.

So unless you want to keep spouting insults...you're basically saying because MC does these things in Halo he can do them anyway even though a game is engineered for the player and throws all sense of anything useful to the wind(or any SW debate over X-Wings vs ISD will quickly be destroyed by that in a game I cn kill and ISD....ALONE in my X-wing even though time and time again that was proven to be wrong)

So either post some evidence from the novel...or basically shut up.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Okay, here are some facts I got off mates from the past on Halo Spartan abilities so bear with me, I'm just a messenger.

-Can run a klick in 32 seconds flat.
But does that improve their hand to hand? Running in a straight line is a lot easier than punching, ducking, and dodging.
-Carry 30MT portable nukes
??? In bazookas? As a self-destruct?
-At age 14 they could lift 3 times their own body weight (they have a lot of GM and cybernetics).
IG can lift several tons of material.
-At 14 their reaction times are rated around 20 milliseconds quicker.
Doesn't mean they're up to IG's times.
-(By SandwormPhish) Okay.. some info on the MJOLNIR armor.

Multi-layered alloy w/refractive coating to increase resistance to energy weapons.
Wheee! ALMOST like IG's mirrored palms!
Gel-filled layer to maintain temperature. Can also reactively change density.

Moisture absorbant cloth layer that constantly regulates temperature and the fit of the suit.
Doesn't mean it can withstand the heat from a flamethrower or the shock fo the nearonic whip.
Onboard computer that interfaces with standard neural implants (apperantly yet one more toy the SPARTANs have)
And does what?
The armor's inner structure is composed of a metal liquid crystal. This doubles the wearer's strength and enhances the reaction time of a normal human by 500%.
hmmmm. With that, they MIGHT be on equal ground in hth.
-ECM is used in combat by suits.
What kind of ECM?
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

DocMoriartty wrote:Halo was a game first and a poor novel (probably along the lines of the Doom novels second). Obviously the game which came first is the canon material.
Bullshit. What's canon: X-wing the game, or X-wing the book series?
All the poor material he wrote about came out of WEG (a RPG as poor as any shooter game) and was later copied from WEG material into novels.

Yes. COPIED INTO NOVELS. That made it canon. Your argument makes my point for me.
JADAFETWA
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The portable nukes are bazzokas I believe, plus at average age the suit and Spartan can lift over 2 tons weight.

I really know little on this, this is all stuff others have found out. They like using kinetic weapons too (one Covenant ship fired a 3000 ton slug at 0.4c, that's a MAC 20 cannon and is rated at teraton range, theire most powerful non-nuclear weapon I hear).

Unsure about most of their handheld weapons though, I'm betting a lot are kinetic.
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

IG-88E wrote:
DocMoriartty wrote:Halo was a game first and a poor novel (probably along the lines of the Doom novels second). Obviously the game which came first is the canon material.
X-Wings existed long before the game came along. The same cannot be said of the Master Chief.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

IG-88E wrote:

Yes. COPIED INTO NOVELS. That made it canon. Your argument makes my point for me.
When it comes down to game only scenarios then the game is of the highest order of canon usually be it ingame or cutscene, at least that's how I've seen it work most. The novel adds to that since if the novel wasn't made then there would be no way to debate.

Star Wars novels are official, IIRC but still higher than games which are the lowest SW medium.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Damn

Let's see Iggy brought up the whole X-Wing game vs novel. And the whole game mechanics is brought up nicely in the Samus vs Boba argument(given that Samus' Varia armor can resist Lava but so lowly squirmy can kill her all the same...just take a little longer)

I mean are you going to bring a point?

And you have yet to really grasped WHY game mechanics aren't used.(What Valdemer was much more along the lines to determine this type of fight)

So please present something that isn't extrapolation or like I said shut up

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

DocMoriartty wrote:
IG-88E wrote: Bullshit. What's canon: X-wing the game, or X-wing the book series?
X-Wings existed long before the game came along. The same cannot be said of the Master Chief.
Wrongo.

Xwing book 1, Rogue Squadron:

Acknowledgements from the author:

...Lawrence Holland and Edwards Killham for the X-wing and TIE Fighter computer games...

Mike Stackpole references the games in his thanks. OBVIOUSLY, they came first. They are NOT canon.
JADAFETWA