The Twilight War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

The Twilight War

Post by Stravo »

Here it is. As promised. The very first chapter in a new saga. It's a lot longer than most chapters I've ever posted but there was a lot to lay out in the first chapters. Please enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

The Twilight War

by Frank Fontaine

Chapter 1: A Brave New World

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

--Hamlet Act 1 Scene V

He slowly closed the book and glanced up out the view port of the shuttle. The pilots were busy chatting to each other softly as they approached the mothership. He subconsciously smoothed out his uniform shirt and squinted to catch more of the pearly white object floating serenely in the darkness. He had longed to see her since he received his orders. She would be his command.

His first command. The thought made him excited and frightened at the same time.

“Excuse gentlemen, but what’s our ETA?” he asked.

The pilots exchanged a bemused expression.

“Eager to get to your ship, Sir? Don’t you worry, we’re on final approach now and we should be docking in 5 minutes.”

“You will be happy to know, sir, that she’s just come back from a major refit. Just about every inch of her has been replaced or renovated. Those five year missions can be a bitch on systems and crews.” The copilot added.

“So I hear, gentlemen, so I hear.” He replied softly as he began to make her out more clearly now in the view port. The pilot smiled and motioned for him to approach.

“Come on sir. We’ll give you a good view as we approach.”

He smiled and quickly crossed the passenger area and stood behind the two pilots and peered out to see her.

“She’s more beautiful than I expected.”

“I don’t know sir. I’ve been doing these runs now for 8 years and I’ve seen plenty of these ships come and go, after a while they’re all the same, seen one seen them all.”

“No.” he shook his head. “No, this one is different.” He looked down at the copilot. “You see this one’s mine.” He replied with a boyish grin.

“Aye aye sir.” The shuttle pilot laughed as they lined up with the huge vessel. Its warp engines swept back on struts she moved through the stars like an angel, glowing white in the darkness, a beacon for all to see. Her name etched proudly on a saucer.

NCC-1701 USS ENTERPRISE

“A word of advice sir, if you don’t mind me saying so.”

“Please.”

“This ship has just come back from one the most successful five year missions in Federation history. Captain Christopher Pike is stepping down to become a Commodore and he’s leaving a ship and crew that adore him. You’re the new guy coming in. Be a little careful how you tread around here. Things were done a little differently on Enterprise than on most Federation ships. You are going to have to adapt to that if you want to run a tight ship.”

He nodded slowly.

He knew that he was filling some very large shoes but he had come to a decision last week when he was finally told of his new assignment. This ship would be his. He did not care what sort of legacy had been left behind, he needed to make this ship his. He would not be a caretaker Captain.

“I’ll take your words under advisement, Lieutenant.” He replied. The pilot and co pilot exchanged dubious expressions. They had heard of him, the youngest Captain in Federation history. So far he had not impressed them.

“Would you look at that.” He breathed as the sun caught the hull just right and the ship was lit up like a moon. Her hangar bay was slowly opening.

“Shuttle Currie to Enterprise. We are requesting permission to dock.”

“We copy that Currie. Standby for autopilot.” A cold female voice replied.

“We copy that Enterprise.”

“You ever wonder about her?” the co pilot asked.

“Who? Number One?! You’re one horny bastard, she is a block of ice.” The pilot exclaimed.

“Gentlemen, let’s keep our minds on our jobs.” He interjected and patted the pilot on his shoulder before returning to his seat in the passenger section. He picked up the book he had been reading, marked it and closed it shut with a snap. His brother Sam had sent him the book as a gift. He didn’t know what to do with it. He was not a fan of antiques. He much preferred reading his stories on a datachip.

He could not deny however that it was a good story. He looked at the spine again. “The Three Musketeers.” Not a bad story at all.

“Docking in one minute sir.”

“Thank you Lieutenant.”

He stood up and adjusted his gold shirt and slipped the book under his arm. He waited patiently as the shuttle entered the cavernous hangar bay of the Enterprise. The Constitution class cruisers were enormous by Starfleet standards, they were the largest starships in active service, only the new dreadnought classes were larger and then not by much. It was a sight to behold as the shuttle was swallowed as if by a leviathan and came to rest on the hangar bay floor.

“Well, we’re here sir. Just give the hangar a moment to pressurize and we can be on our way.” The copilot explained as he rose and switched off his controls.

He watched him for a moment and noticed that he was slinging a duffel bag over his left shoulder and smiling at the pilot.

“Thanks for the ride, Jacobi. Always a good thing to keep the old instincts up after flying these beasts.” the young Asian man said with a wink.

“Are you kidding? I’d give up piloting these little flying shoeboxes to get a shot at flying that beauty.” The pilot grinned and winked.

“See you in five years.”

“Watch yourself. When I said five year missions wreck ships and crew I meant it. Lost a lot of good mates on these missions.”

“I intend on coming back.” the co pilot responded with a confident tone.

“See you.”

The copilot smiled and strode up to him.

“Well captain, I’m reporting for duty.”

He eyed him for a moment.

“Who are you?”

“Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu, sir. I am your new Helmsman.” he responded with a sharp salute.

He smiled.

“Welcome aboard Mr. Sulu. That was rather deceptive of you.”

“How so, sir?” Sulu asked with a straight face.

He examined Sulu with a bemused expression.

“I see you’ve played Poker before.”

“I consider it a game of skill equal to 3-D Chess, sir.” Sulu replied grinning now.

“Well, I’ll have to keep that in mind. By the way, you gave me the advice on the Enterprise, yet you haven’t served on her before. Any reason why you were willing to dole out that advice?”

“Well sir.” Sulu began sheepishly. “Captain Pike’s the reason I went into Starfleet. He’s been a personal hero of mine for years and I just find it hard to believe that it will be easy to fill those shoes.” Sulu suddenly realized what he had said and who he had said it to. “Uh, what I mean by that sir-”

“I know precisely what you mean Mr. Sulu and I understand. If I were serving on a ship with Garth of Izar I would feel the same way.” He replied.

The doors to the shuttle cycled open. They stepped out onto the bay and he took in his first breath of air on his ship.

The doors at the far end of the bay opened and they made their way there quickly. Sulu could not help but ogle the size of this ship. He had served on a Constitution class cruiser early on as an ensign, but spent the rest of his brief career on lighter ships.

They stepped through and Sulu was immediately confronted with his childhood hero.

Captain Christopher Pike stood at the doorway along with his first officer, the coldly beautiful Number One. He was a tall slim man with graying hair at his temples. Sulu was struck by one detail right away. Pike did not look dashing or heroic in any way. He looked tired. There was a weariness in those eyes that he could not fathom.

Sulu was actually taken aback by the man’s appearance. There was no doubt that he was in command, but it obviously weighed on him like a cloak.

“Captain James T. Kirk, I presume.” Pike said with a polite smile. Kirk smiled in return and extended his hand.

“A pleasure and an honor Captain Pike.”

They shook, Kirk noted his firm grip and was put at ease by his calm easy going manner.

“Let me introduce you to my first officer, Number One.”

“Number One, a pleasure.” Kirk shook her hand, she took it but the grip was almost nonexistent, as if she did not really want to touch him.

“I have heard of you Captain Kirk. Your reputation proceeds you.” She said with a nearly prefunctionary tone.

“Well, Captain, now is better than never, if you please to our main rec room, I have the crew assembled and we can get on with the business that needs to be completed. As I understand it, Starfleet is actually quite anxious to get the Enterprise underway again for a new mission.”

“Yes, there have been very positive signs from our deep range probes of the existence of a wide swath of M Class worlds just beyond the Rigel colonies.”

“Whole new worlds to explore, eh Captain?” Pike replied but there was an odd lilt to his words, almost as if he were not excited but actually angry about the revelation. Kirk had heard rumors that Pike had suffered several serious setbacks in the last year of his mission, including an encounter that had instituted the sole death penalty provision in Starfleet law.

“You know how it is, Captain, eager to get to space.” Kirk glanced over at Sulu who was standing sheepishly. “Speaking of which, this is the new helmsman, Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu. Starfleet really is desperate to get this ship underway, they’re cramming as many people as they can into the incoming shuttles. I hear that one of the perks of command is being able to be alone for a little bit.” Kirk said with a grin.

“Sir.” Sulu saluted sharply.

Pike examined the young lieutenant.

“Welcome aboard, Mr. Sulu. My last helmsman got me out of more trouble than I care to remember. I hope that you can do the same for the good captain here.” Pike said with a weak smile. He glanced back at Kirk. “Oh, and Captain, you’ll find that being alone is not so much a privilege of command as it is a curse.” He added and without another word turned and indicated for them to follow as he took them towards the first set of turbolifts.

Kirk began to wonder just what had jaded the man so. Space exploration was in his blood. He remembered wanting desperately to be there from the first time he looked up at the night sky.

The turbolifts took them to the deck 7 and they quickly made their way to the rec room. Kirk noted that there were still some engineers working on last minute upgrades and refits as they worked in the halls installing new circuitry and power conduits, they even had to dodge a set of legs dangling out of a Jeffries tube.

The doors to the rec room hissed open and Kirk was suddenly faced with several hundred crewmen crammed into the large room. A tall slim Vulcan stood to the side and suddenly announced loudly.

“Attention! Captain on the deck!”

The assembled crewmen all snapped to attention. Sulu hustled away from the others and took his place among the assembled crewmen.

“At ease.” Pike said with a soft smile. Suddenly, the dark cloud that seemed to hang over him parted as he was among his crew.

“On this date, I have been authorized by Starfleet to relinquish command of the Enterprise to Captain James Tiberius Kirk. I now formally acknowledge this order and give her over to you Captain.” Pike announced and there was an odd sense of relief in his voice, but his eyes were sad as he looked out at the assembled men and women of his command. It was a rare pleasure for him to see his crew gathered like this in one location.

“Thank you, Captain.” Kirk replied formally and they exchanged salutes.

“If I may I would like to address the crew.”

“Of course.” Pike replied and gestured for Kirk to step forward as he stepped back. Kirk looked out over the eager young faces of his new crew and saw much in their eyes, concern, curiosity and even suspicion.

“I am honored to accept this post. It is not a secret in Starfleet command which is the finest ship in Starfleet. The Enterprise has come to symbolize more than just being one of the greatest starships in the Federation, it has come to represent the Federation itself. Here in these very corridors walks the ideals and freedoms that we aspire to and defend. As we walk out and explore the vast new reaches of the stars laid before us we know that we may be far from home but home is also here, in the deck plates, in the very air we breathe. We take the Federation with us into the deep void beyond and we must never forget that honor and privilege just as I will never forget the honor and privilege of working with you in the next five years.”

Most of the crew smiled politely, it was obvious that many simply did not know where to stand in regard to their new Captain but it did not bother him. It was a natural reaction. He remembered being on the other side of these gatherings and not being sure about his new captain.

“Thank you, captain. If I may I would like to address my crew for the last time.”

“Of course, Captain.” Kirk replied and stepped back. Suddenly the gathered crewmen all seemed to lean forward intently as Pike began to speak.

“We have been together for a long time. I remember many of you from the first day I stepped aboard her five years ago and Captain Robert April handed her over. An untried ship and untried crew. The Constitution class was considered by many at the time to be a disaster waiting to happen. The largest starship ever attempted to fly. The untested warp engines, the experimental systems, I could go on but we all heard it before.”

Several of the crew smiled knowingly while others nodded. But they were all riveted as their ex Captain continued to speak.

I was given this vessel to complete one of the first five years missions ever devised by Starfleet as the Federation attempted to take its first tentative steps into that great unknown. We have been through much over those five years. WE lost many friends, many comrades, but we made contact with many new alien races and civilizations and we went where no other human being has ever set foot. I am very proud of the fact that at the end of our Five year mission, the Federation has grown in that time to encompass several of those new worlds and alien societies.

We have been ambassadors and teachers and unfortunately even soldiers, but thankfully we have shown that the human race has come far in many ways but still held on to the ideals of the explorer and voyager. We have grown to be more than we have ever been but remain essentially human.”

Pike paused as he took a moment to regard his crew and see then all like this for the last time. As he looked out upon them, he saw something the others did not, floating at the edges of the assembly, the ghosts of all those lost in the “adventure”. He saw Poplar, smiling and laughing, before a poison from one of the plants on Mynos IV transformed his body into a haphazard twist of shrunken ligaments and brittle bones. He saw Kelly his somber attitude that had seen them through on more than one crisis after another. Kelly’s fate had been almost comical if not for the fact that he had been a friend. A loader dropped a skiff of supplies right on top of them. Kelly had pushed he and Number One out of the way and taken the brunt of the blow, killing him instantly. This from a man that had fought hand to hand with some of the fiercest aliens he had ever encountered. Killed by at loading dock accident. Pike could almost hear the universe laughing.

The ghosts were congregating and there were so many of them. So many faces, so many people, all with wonderful lives cut short because of one crisis or another, and often because he ordered them into the danger. In many ways, he wondered, these ghosts must blame me somehow. An even darker thought crept into his conscience as well. Will they haunt me now for the rest of my life? Will the shattered remains of these crewmen be there, watching him as he moved through life?

He cleared his throat.

“Many have asked the question, is this worth it? Is the exploration of new worlds and civilizations worth the cost in blood and treasure?” Pike looked out at his crew, caught the eyes of several ghosts. One Ann Marie, young little ensign with a cute giggle that kept everyone’s spirits up had gone up in an explosion as the Enterprise took a hit from an alien warship that later made peace with the Federation. That peace did not bring her laughter back.

She was mouthing something to him and smiling.

“The answer to that question is up to you.” he stated firmly.

Many of the assembled crews nodded.

“You must answer that question for those that do not know. You will blaze a trail for others to follow and you will write the pages of history. It has been my honor to serve with the finest crew in Starfleet. I have no doubt in my mind that history will never forget the name Enterprise.”

“History will never forget the name Pike!” someone shouted from the back of the assembly and soon all the crew was shouting their own encouragement to their Captain. Pike smiled but it was an empty one. He did not know the answer to that question.

Ann Marie’s ghost did not seem to think so. He just realized what she had been mouthing.

“You know the answer.”

He turned away and walked out of the recroom with Kirk and Number One. The tall Vulcan nodded to Pike and turned back to the crew.

“Dismissed!” he ordered loudly.

The crew quickly broke up and began leaving the rec room.

The Vulcan joined Pike and the others as they congregated outside in the main corridor.

“Very nice speech Captain. This crew obviously earned your respect” Kirk noted.

“They earned it the moment they stepped aboard this ship to go far away for five long years, captain. Now I want to introduce you to Mr. Spock. He is my Science officer and a perfect replacement for Number One as first officer when her transfer comes through.” Pike commented.

Spock nodded to Kirk.

“Captain Kirk, I have heard of your missions on the Farragut’s Five Year tour as well as your other exploits. Youngest Captain in Starfleet history is quite an accomplishment.

“Thank you, Mr. Spock, and if you don’t mind me saying, I had no idea that there were Vulcans in Starfleet. I thought that you’re people had a distinct aversion to service in Starfleet, something about violating your pacifistic natures.” Kirk replied.

“I am half Vulcan and for the record I am the first and only Vulcan currently serving in Starfleet. There is talk of more Vulcans joining but those are discussions that do not concern us at the moment.”

“And you, Number One, where are you being transferred to?”

“I am waiting for a spot to open up in the Vulcan Academy.” She replied coolly. Her manner was very put offish to Kirk. He had never met a woman like her and he was a little uncomfortable around her already. In many ways, he was glad that she would soon be off his ship because he did not think that they would gel as well as she and Pike obviously did.

“Vulcan Academy? I didn’t think there were many humans that qualified to get into the Academy. That must be quite an accomplishment for you.”

“I do not see it as an accomplishment, Captain. It is merely the one institution in the Federation that I feel can challenge me and has the resources available for me to further my studies on subspace phenomena.” Number One glanced at Spock and nodded to him. “If not for Mr. Spock’s wonderful recommendation it is highly doubtful that I would have been admitted.”

“Well, I’m glad the people here help each other out.”

“Once Number One leaves, what plans do you have for your first officer?” Pike asked noting Kirk’s evasion of the previous suggestion.

Kirk tried his best not to look uncomfortable. He knew that sometimes it was best to face something head on.

“Actually I have the person in mind for the job. He’s been assigned as the ship’s navigator but as soon as the slot opens, I fully intend for him to be my XO.”

Pike blinked.

“Oh.”

Spock did not reveal any emotion at all, but Number One did purse her lips nearly imperceptible.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Spock, I’m sure that Captain Pike is correct and that you would make an excellent second, but the position has been set aside for someone else. I’ll understand if you wish to transfer to another ship.” Kirk replied.

“I see no reason to transfer. It would be illogical to suggest a course of action to appease feelings that I do not have.”

“Oh? I just thought it would be best to avoid any potential problems with the incoming XO.”

“Captain, you proceed from a false assumption, I am Vulcan, I have no ego to bruise.” Spock assured Kirk.

“But aren’t you half human?” Kirk asked curiously. Pike watched the interplay with interest. There was something about these two, Spock was usually quite reserved but he was actually having an exchange with Kirk that had nothing to do with science or shipboard functions. Quite frankly, Spock was an odd person. There were times when Pike had seen Spock actually smile in joy at something beautiful as he did on Talosia. But ever since that mission, Spock had become more reserved and in some cases more Vulcan than most Vulcans.

He suspected that it had something to do with Number One’s sudden interest in attending the Vulcan academy. It was almost as if she had pricked something within him to remind him of who he was. He had spent the last five years with humans alone.

“It is a part of me that I do not acknowledge, Captain. I am a Vulcan and I follow the Vulcan philosophy of logic.”

“Interesting, so none of this bothers you at all?” Kirk pressed.

“You’re making an issue out of nothing, despite the fact that you’re installing an XO that knows nothing about this ship or its crew. The logical alternative would have a crew member from this crew serve as an XO.” Number One interjected.

Kirk looked from Spock to Number One and Pike could tell that he felt slightly overwhelmed.

“Speaking of which Captain. Just when is your navigator coming. I thought we received the last of our crew replacements this morning.” Pike asked softly, breaking the oncoming debate.

Kirk looked relieved for a moment but when he thought about the question he pursed his lips before speaking.

“That’s a very good question Captain Pike. I have no idea where he is.” Number One and Pike exchanged knowing looks.

The buzzing of the alarm was incessant and cut through the sleep like a chainsaw. It was occasionally interrupted by a soft female voice.

“The time is 0635, please wake up.”

His hand suddenly lanced out from under the covers and slapped the snooze button. The computer voice announced: “This alarm will commence again in 7 minutes.”

He mumbled something into the pillow.

His head was pounding and there was no relent to that. He groaned loudly and finally rolled on to his back and sighed deeply.

“Someone help me, this is abominable.” He groaned.

Someone else groaned beneath the covers and there was movement. He slowly rose out of the bed and swung his legs over the edge and sat there for a long minute staring at the floor and wishing he were still asleep. His gold uniform shirt was tossed on the floor by the bed, enmeshed in a tangle of women’s underwear and a single boot.

“Okay, where’s my other boot.” he mumbled as he finally gathered up enough energy to get up. “Whoa, that was a bad idea.” he snapped as his head suddenly swam.

“Mmmm…Gary is that you?” a soft voice cooed from underneath the covers.

“I don’t know.” he replied groggily as he stumbled over to the bathroom and stood in front of the mirror.

Gary Mitchell examined his face in the mirror. His eyes…oh god his eyes. His eyes were bloodshot and looked as if they had not seen sleep in days. He waited for his brain to reboot. This was the hardest part of any of the mornings after he partied.

By far the worst was after graduation. Good old Jim Kirk stood by his side the whole time as he suffered the agony of the monstrous hangovers that were a gift from the Saurian Brandy that he and Jim liked so much.

Gary opened up the medicine cabinet and with drew a tab from a bottle and put it back on the shelf. He swallowed the tab with a hard crack of his neck as he turned his head suddenly and the world became a little clearer.

“The guy who invented this should most definitely get a Nobel prize.” Gary announced to no one in particular. The anti-toxin was a staple of any hard drinking party. Its effects were nearly instantaneous as they flushed out all the toxins from the body after alcohol consumption. Meant to be taken before you started drinking to stave off any inebriation people soon discovered that it was just as good dispelling the worst of hangovers.

He washed up, the cool water on his face finishing the job of waking him up and he slapped on some beard suppressant on his face. He preferred the vibroblades to shave, but when one was in a hurry, a slap of beard suppressant was usual enough to at least keep it down to a respectable five o’clock shadow.

He dried his face with a towel and as he did he suddenly stopped.

“Computer, what time is it?” he asked.

“The time is 0642.”

Gary slowly put the towel down, an awful sense of dread coming over him.

“The day?”

“Tuesday.”

Gary cursed and threw the towel down to the ground and rushed over to his closet.

“What’s the matter honey?” a beautiful blonde asked as her head emerged from under the covers.

“I have to go. Damnit!! I think I missed my transport to the Enterprise.” he snapped as he found a clean gold uniform shirt and slipped it on. He suddenly felt a sharp pain in his right shoulder and paused. That pain always acted up every now and then. He had taken some sort of spear in that shoulder six months ago and the doctors told him that the poison contained in that spear had permanently damaged some nerves there. It would act up occasionally, particularly if he was stressed.

Missing your assignment to the Enterprise and hopefully as XO was definitely stressful.

“Damnit!” He cursed as he started to slap and shove random articles of clothing and devices into his duffel bag.

“Where is my other boot!” he snapped a she passed over the pile of clothes and the single boot.

“Can’t you calm down. I don’t like to see you like this.”

Gary paused and took a deep breath.

“Look, Patricia.”

“I’m not Patricia!” the blonde exclaimed angrily, face turning bright red.

“Uh…”

“What did he say!” another woman poked her head out of the covers. She was a slim brunette with sparkling black eyes and she looked even more exhausted than Gary but she was wide awake now.

“Lizette?” Gary offered with a hopeful glance.

“I’M Patricia, SHE’S Lizette you jerk!” the brunette spat and threw a pillow at him.

“Ladies.” he replied calmly. “I’m sorry but being brought to the heights of passion as you have done, oh so skillfully has all but fried my brain. I’m sure that I was moaning the names correctly last night.”

The girls exchanged glances.

“Well…”

“I think…”

“Good!” Gary exclaimed with a wide smile and quickly gathered what else he could and walked over to the comboard as he was trying to jam in his foot to one boot. he hopped over and slapped the comboard.

“Control here.”

“Control this is Gary Mitchell, Serial number 01223-S89. I need immediate access to a transport to the Starship Enterprise NCC-1701.”

“The last transport to Enterprise left three hours ago, sir.”

“I’m aware of that or I wouldn’t be calling you.” Gary replied as he finally managed to get his boot on.

“I’m sorry sir, but we don’t have any transports on the board for off system transit. I’m sorry.”

Gary looked up at the monitor, glad that the communication wasn’t visual but angry nonetheless.

“Listen to me control, I am a lieutenant commander and the chief navigator for the Enterprise. I NEED to be on that ship before she leaves. Get me a transport now or I’ll have to go over your head.”

“Feel free to go over my head if you wish, sir, but the facts arte the facts, we simply do not have any available transports to get you over to Enterprise.” the voice was tight with annoyance.

Gary sighed heavily.

“Switch me over to your commanding officer.”

“Of course sir.”

“You blithering idiot.” Gary added under his breath.

“Control here, Commander Dalton.”

“Commander, this is Lieutenant Commander Gary Mitchell, I need a transport to the USS Enterprise, I don’t care if she’s a garbage scow. I need something to get me over there, now. I am the duty officer for the navigation station and how’s it going to look if the Chief Navigator isn’t there?”

“That’s sounds to me like its more your problem than mine, Lieutenant Commander.” He replied wanly.

“Damnit! What kind of answer is THAT?”

“The kind you get from a Commander who does not appreciate a junior officer bullying his men. When my men tell you that there are no transports then there aren’t any.”

Gary passed his right hand through his hair in frustration as he spied his other boot jammed in beneath the bed.

“Listen to me carefully, if I have to hire a civilian transport I will, but I am asking you, as one officer to another, I need to be on Enterprise and if its on a laundry ship I’ll take it, hell, strap a warp drive on my back and I’ll call it a day.” Gary asked softly as he reached under the bed and pulled out the errant boot.

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the com.

“Hold on a sec, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Many thanks, Commander.” Gary replied with a smile as he started jamming on his other boot.

Jim was going to kill him.

“Gary?”

“Hold on a sec hon, I’m about to find out whether I should be packing to leave Starfleet or just leave on a monumental mission.”

“He’s such a drama queen.” Lizette said with a roll of her eyes.

“Lieutenant Commander?”

“Yes?”

“You’re are one lucky son of a bitch, we have a transport enroute from Earth dispatched straight from Starfleet command. Its final destination is Enterprise. This transport just appeared on my manifests. This tells me it’s an emergency addition. I can waylay her to you, but it will be at your location in under 20 minutes.”

“I can make it Commander. Thanks again!”

“My pleasure lieutenant Commander. And good luck, I lost a very good friend on one of those missions. Watch your back.”

“I always do.” Gary replied and deactivated the com. He turned quickly, took one last look at the room and slung the duffle bag over his shoulder.

“Gary! Where are you going!” Patricia called out after him.

Gary paused at the door and gave them a warm smile.

“I’m off on a mission, ladies. I’ll look you up after I get back.”

“When’s that going to be?” Lizette asked pouting.

Gary smiled mischievously.

“I’ll be back in about five years.” he replied and quickly left.

The girls looked at each other and shook their heads.

“What an ass.”

“I hate guys like that you know.”

“Guys like what?”

“They think they’re gods or something.” Lizette replied and drifted back down under the covers.

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY

“You know, I am a Jedi Knight now, there’s no reason for me to call you master or even ask for your advice.” Anakin Skywalker replied tartly as the two Jedi strolled down the main concourse of the Jedi temple.

Usually at this hour in the day, the temple would be alive with the sound of people moving and talking as they went to their appointed rounds. Padawans on errands for their masters. Young padawans rushing to get to Master Yoda’s lessons. Masters quietly discussing events around the galaxy, Jedi knights proudly striding through the halls on various missions and quests for the Republic.

Now it was silent as a tomb. There was no life here. The padawans and knights were dispersed through the galaxy valiantly engaging the forces of the Separatists and the masters were in strategy sessions with the Republic leadership as they planned the next set of campaigns. The youngest padawans had diminished in numbers as the worlds that had broken away from the Republic no longer sent their children to the temple and some worlds had even gone so far as to demand the return of the children. When the Jedi refused, this caused a massive uproar in BOTH the Separatist and Republic circles as the Jedi were portrayed as child kidnappers and worse.

Things were slowly unraveling in ways no one had predicted. This was particularly disturbing for the Jedi who prided themselves on the ability to predict any danger that lay on the road ahead. Instead, it was as if the Jedi were walking blindly into a minefield.

Their support in the Republic was slowly eroding away as the casualty reports returned from every battle. The Jedi, premier warriors and leaders of the galaxy were losing many battles and the ones that they were winning was costing the Republic in lives and treasure.

No one noted the fact that over 2/3 of those casualties were actually clone troopers. Obi Wan Kenobi mused.

The leadership of the Separatists was headed by Count Dooku, who was doing everything in his power to paint the Jedi as corrupt and arrogant, master manipulators who used the force to mold minds and shape ideas in the minds of the senate. He decried the foul use of the force in such a manner and declared for all to hear that the sins of the Jedi had driven him from their very ranks and forced him to raise a banner of independence from a Republic that he once loved.

The Jedi knew the truth. Dooku was a Sith lord and he was obviously using the Dark side of the Force to fan the flames of dissent and rebellion among the Separatists. He was using them to further his agenda.

Unfortunately another series of setbacks had wracked the rapidly dwindling number of Jedi. Dooku’s power had called to the untrained and ambitious padawans, and sadly some knights, to join his cause and embrace the power that the dark side offered. As Master Yoda said upon hearing the news that a renown Jedi knight, Mako Talus who had held one of the key worlds in the Sluis sector had turned to the dark side and betrayed his garrison to the Separatists “Wanting to be on the wining side is one of the hardest desires to fight against when you are facing defeat.”. So much for Jedi unity.

As Obi Wan looked out at the silent temple he felt a sense of dread close to his heart. It had grown since Geonosis.

The Jedi were dying.

But there was one Jedi he was currently annoyed with.

“You like throwing the fact that you’re a Jedi knight now around don’t you.”

“I earned it, Obi Wan, on Geonosis. If it wasn’t for me you’d be dead.”

Obi Wan nodded slowly as they began to ascent the main stairs.

“True enough my young Jedi KNIGHT, but in the end, I am a Jedi Master now and I can press you to call me master if I wish.” Obi Wan replied with a shadow of a smile. Unfortunately his joke struck the wrong chord in his old padawan. Anakin’s face darkened and a terrible shadow crossed his proud features. Obi Wan could sense the anger in him.

He reached out and touched his padawan’s arm.

“It’s just a joke, Anakin. You’re right, I owe you my life and for that I am forever grateful…old friend.”

Anakin glanced down at Obi Wan and at his hand that gripped his arm.

“Certain sacrifices were made, Obi Wan. Sacrifices I will not forget.” he replied stiffly. Obi Wan suddenly realized that he was gripping Anakin’s prosthetic arm. Obi Wan slowly withdrew it.

“Anakin, you should let go of your anger regarding that wound. Many Jedi have cybernetic implants, its not uncommon and its almost as good as your real arm.” Obi Wan consoled softly. “Besides, Anakin, a Jedi cannot hold on to hate. That path leads to Dooku and who knows what else. Be calm, at peace.”

Anakin frowned hearing the wisdom in his teacher’s words.

“I try, Obi Wan, I really do.” he replied softly. There was a deep sorrow in his voice that troubled Obi Wan. He had been so different since Geonosis. There was an edge that he had not seen in Anakin before, and sometimes in the heat of battle he could feel Anakin struggling to hold his anger in check as he fought. He meant to bring it up to Yoda but was not sure how it would be received.

Anakin had grown to be one of the few heroes amongst the Jedi ranks to the general populace. Anakin won stunning victories in small engagements near Alderaan and an attempt by the Separatists to launch a surprise attack on a Republic shipyard was nearly single handedly stopped by Anakin.

Obi Wan was proud of his old Padawan, he had grown to be a fearsome Jedi knight, great pilot an a cunning warrior.

But there was always the anger just beneath the surface and something else as well that he could not quite get a handle on.

“Let’s discuss something else then, for instance I wish you would assert a little influence on the Senator from Naboo. She is constantly bringing up peace motions on the senate floor and she is gathering support, despite the fact that the Separatists are most certainly at our throats she still wants to talk peace.”

“What do you mean by influence?” Anakin asked sharply. Obi Wan could feel suspicion in his old padawan’s heart.

“I meant that you two are friends and after all we went through on Geonosis you would think that she would be a little more supportive of our war effort.”

“Padme is a pacifist and she always has been. She’s never been proud of what she did on Geonosis. She still thinks that a political solution must be found.”

“The only political solution Count Dooku is interested in is the dismemberment of the Republic.” Obi Wan replied.

“She doesn’t agree on behalf of the trade guilds and Federation. She thinks that they are merely trying to exert some independence and the direction this government has taken under the Supreme Chancellor.”

“Oh no, not that again. I will admit that I never really trusted Palpatine but he was backed into a corner by the Separatists and what else was he supposed to do. I was there Anakin, I saw them building those droid armies, I heard them planning. That army was there to black mail the Republic. They’re only crying foul because we found out about it and preempted them.”

“You don’t have to convince me, Obi Wan, I’m a supporter of Palpatine. I was merely relaying what Padme feels.”

“I really do wish she would wake up soon, her naivety, it will be the end of her if she’s not careful.”

“Don’t say such things!” Anakin snapped.

“I’m sorry.” Obi Wan replied hesitantly as they finished the long walk up the main flight of stairs and made their way to the small chambers of one of the order’s chief masters. The rest of the walk was in sullen silence as they approached the door, chimed and waited patiently.

“Come in.”

They entered the Spartan chambers to find Mace Windu sitting on a cushion, legs crossed over each other in the traditional Jedi meditative pose. Master Windu opened his eyes and coolly regarded each of the Jedi. Yoda had privately confided to Windu that these two Jedi were the key to the survival of the Order. The force seemed to be focused on them, whirling around them like a storm. To what purpose, not even Yoda could divine.

“Master Kenobi, Jedi Knight Skywalker, please, have a seat. We have much to discuss.” Anakin and Obi Wan quickly obliged the Jedi Master and were soon seated in the same position across from Master Windu.

“What I am about to tell you is a state secret of the highest order. Only a handful of people in the entire Republic are aware of this fact and you have been allowed into that circle.”

Anakin and Obi Wan exchanged furtive glances.

“We have been in negotiations with an extra galactic civilization.”

“When you say we…” Obi Wan began.

“I mean that the Republic is attempting to establish diplomatic relations and the Jedi have been asked to mediate these negotiations.”

“Extragalactic, when did we discover this civilization?” Anakin asked.

“Several months ago, one of our deep range scouts discovered odd readings in a deserted sector of space, deep in Republic lines. This scout upon further investigation discovered a wormhole which leads to another galaxy that is not even in this galactic cluster. The civilization we made contact with is known as the United Federation of Planets.”

Obi Wan and Anakin were both shocked. Not a whiff of this had escaped to become rumor or innuendo and that spoke of how tight the security around this must have been. The Republic was infamous for not being able to keep any secrets for long.

“I suppose we have a goal in regard to these negotiations? The Republic is not in the business of making contact with new civilizations particularly when we are engulfed in the most horrific war this galaxy has seen in millennia.” Obi Wan commented.

“You’re instincts serve you well, Obi Wan. The Republic has not posted the latest casualty reports from our campaign in the Korvis Cluster. But the most pessimistic reports indicated something on the order of 9 million dead and 680 warships the Force only knows how many fighters.”

“9 million?!” Obi Wan gasped.

“We can’t keep taking losses like that.” Anakin added.

“No, we can’t. This new civilization would prove useful to us as an ally.”

“In the war? Why would they be willing to help us in a war that has nothing to do with them?” Anakin pressed.

“That is something that our negotiator is trying to work out and a fact that was discovered during the Korvis campaign that could prove to be useful for our negotiations.”

“Which is?” Obi Wan asked.

“I’m sorry, Obi Wan but only members of the Council and the Supreme Chancellor know of this secret and I have not been authorized to share it with you.” Windu replied plainly.

“Is this how it is then? Secrets between Jedi.” Obi Wan replied darkly.

“Obi Wan this has nothing to do with our opinion of you but certain facts have come to Master Yoda and my attention which could prove devastating to the order itself if we were to be more open.”

“What are we talking about here?” Anakin asked suspiciously.

“Nothing that concerns you, Anakin. The reason why you are here is that our negotiations have reached the point where the Federation is willing to send a ship across to investigate our claims for themselves and from there come to a decision on whether to ally themselves with us. The Supreme Chancellor has made it very clear to us and our negotiator that they must decide in our favor.”

“I’m sorry, Master Windu, but I don’t like the sounds of that. It almost sounds to me as if the Chancellor is telling us to lie if we have to in order to have this Federation ally with us. That does not sit well with me.” Obi Wan commented darkly.

“Chancellor Palpatine is a wise man and leader. He has guided us through these dark times and if he says that we need this alliance then there is no reason to paint his orders in such a harsh light.” Anakin interjected.

“What?” Obi Wan exclaimed.

“Master Windu, Master Obi Wan has a well documented dislike and prejudice of politicians, I posit that his feelings are not clear on this matter.”

“You’re presuming to tell me about my feelings being clear?!” Obi Wan sputtered in shock.

“Gentlemen, please! This is not a matter up for debate. We are the Jedi, we do as we are told. The Senate wishes us to do our best in helping this new government see things our way and we shall do so.”

“You mean Palpatine wishes the Federation to see things our way.”

“That’s uncalled for!” Anakin protested.

“Enough!”

Anakin and Obi Wan were suddenly quiet, but both exchanged glares.

“The mission to bring the Federation ship across with our negotiator is in danger.

Anakin and Obi Wan instantly forgot about their turmoil and gave Windu all of their attention.

“What’s happening?”

“The Separatists may have discovered the location of the wormhole and they know that the Federation are scheduled to come across very soon. We fear that Dooku is planning an ambush of the Federation mission.”

“Isn’t the wormhole guarded by Republic forces?”

“Unfortunately it was decided to keep as low a profile as possible in regard to this wormhole. No ships were dispatched to patrol it because we knew it would draw Separatist attention. We were hoping to hide it in plain sight until the time came that the Federation would begin using it. However, as it has been the story of this war so far, the Separatist’s intelligence gathering network is far superior to our own. While we seem to only be able to guess where they are and the disposition of their forces, they know intimate details of our own deployments. This is one such success for them. They know where the wormhole is and they are dispatching ships to intercept the Federation mission.”

“Why doesn’t the Republic dispatch a fleet immediately, if we can get a fleet underway now we might make it to the wormhole in time.”

“There are no fleets available in range. We cannot detach any ships from the Coruscant defense force because we are under constant surveillance by the Separatists. Chancellor Palpatine will not allow even the barest threat to Coruscant exist. Therefore I am dispatching my two finest Jedi knights to the war zone in a dreadnought and its support ships right away.”

“A single dreadnought?” Anakin noted with some distaste.

“You realize master Windu that the Separatists have a habit of attacking in large numbers with overwhelming force. We may most likely be overwhelmed at the wormhole.” Obi Wan added.

“There are no other resources available at the moment. I am sorry but this is the mission. You’re sole objective and goal is to insure the survival of the Federation mission. That is all.”

“One more thing, Master Windu, who is leading the mission for the Republic?”

“Jedi Knight Meerlinda Farstrider.” Windu replied. “Now hurry. The fate of the galaxy is in your hands. Again.” He added with a shadow of a smile.

Obi Wan and Anakin bowed their heads slightly and started to quickly file out.

“I could have handled this alone you know.” Anakin whispered to Obi Wan.

Obi Wan smirked.

“In your dreams my old padawan.”

“Oh, gentlemen.”

They turned to face Windu who was not looking at them as he spoke while adjusting some controls on a computer readout.

“Master Yoda and I have come to a decision that we must begin pooling our resources in this war. The Jedi have been dispersed throughout this galaxy and we’re suffering heavy casualties. It would be best from now on to pair Jedi knights and masters together for maximum effect and security.”

Obi Wan knew what was coming. So did Anakin from the growing look of alarm on his face.

“Because of your prior relationship and effectiveness working together it has been decided that you two will be officially designated as a team.”

“Master, I don’t need his help.”

“Anakin, what is the second prelate of the Order?”

Anakin looked down at the floor for a moment then glanced up with a dark expression.

“Obedience.”

“Then follow it. Don’t make us regret making you one of the youngest Jedi knights in our history.”

“Yes Master.” Anakin replied stung by Windu’s words.

“Hurry and May the Force be with you.”

“Thank you master.” Obi Wan replied and gently tugged at Anakin to follow him out.

As they emerged from the chamber Anakin refused to look at Obi Wan.

“Was I that bad of a master?” Obi Wan asked quietly as they walked quickly to the hangar bay.

Anakin paused for a moment.

“No.” he replied. “But I am a Jedi now, not some young padawan. I led the defense of Alderaan when the Separatists launched that surprise attack and I held them off without any other Jedi’s help. They left you alone after Master Qui-Gon died. They did not saddle you with other masters looking over your shoulder. Sometimes I feel that they’re treating me like a child, as if I didn’t earn this knighthood.”

Obi Wan stopped and turned to face his old padawan. Anakin continued walking a few steps but stopped as well.

“Anakin, I was never alone after Qui Gon died. I had you.” Obi Wan noted and smiled warmly at his old padawan, remembering the young child that he had been.

Anakin nodded slowly.

“You’re right and I’m sorry Obi Wan. You’ve always been the father I’ve ever known. Sometimes I don’t think I let you know that.”

“It’s alright Anakin, everyone rebels against their father sometime. Come now we have a mission to complete. But maybe you can tell me whether your intuition told you something in there that has ,e worried.”

“You mean the fact that Master Windu was hiding something?” Anakin replied proudly as they entered the hangar that housed a squadron of Jedi Starfighters.

“Yes, and what that implies.”

“I’m not sure I follow.”

“The Separatists intelligence network may not be as good as we claim it is.”

Anakin paused at his starfighter.

“Are you saying we may have a traitor in the Republic?” he asked quietly.

Obi Wan frowned sadly.

“No, Anakin, I think it goes far deeper than that. I think we may have a traitor within the order.”

The glare of the red battle stations lights were dimmed as he checked the readouts on the tactical display one more time. There was no doubt of it now.

“Dominion fleet inbound on attack vector.” Worf reported and his fingers hovered over the fire controls.

Benjamin Sisko stood calmly on the bridge of Deep Space Nine and waited for his enemy to come to him. Major Kira stood by his side.

“Captain. Is Starfleet sure about this? We’re the most valuable target in the Alpha Quadrant. They said they weren’t going to send any ships or are they sending ships and you just can’t tell us?” she whispered as the Dominion fleet grew on the screen.

“Major Kira, I do not lie to my staff or my friends. Starfleet’s resources are needed elsewhere. I assure you, matters are in hand and in control.” he replied softly and watched as the Dominion fleet quickly formed up into attack wings as they approached, never once adjusting their speed to slow down or speed up. He had never seen such precision in a fleet before, even the Federation’s.

“Come on Dukat. Show me what you’ve got.” Sisko whispered as the Dominion fleet seemed to pause for a moment as if gathering strength then they surged forward like a pack of wolves.

The Dominion ships unleashed a storm of fire as they lashed into the station, intent on tearing through her shields and rendering her helpless. The First wave was certain of victory as their bright white anti-polaron beams swept the length of the station like deadly scythes.

Fires blossomed along the stations shields but no damage leaked through to the vulnerable hull.

On the bridge Sisko and Kira held onto their stations as the bridge rocked from the numerous impacts.

“Mr. Worf, all weapons fire at will.” Sisko ordered.

Worf savagely stabbed at the weapons controls. The arrays lining the station began firing into the Dominion fleet. Torpedoes exploded within the Dominion lines, vaporizing the smaller vessels as phasers raked the larger ships.

“Enemy ships are closing on the Defiant.” Nog warned.

“Mr. Worf!” Sisko shouted.

“I’ve got them!” Worf replied triumphantly as he locked on to the wave of Jem Hadar fighters racing towards the Defiant. Torpedoes exploded in their path as phasers lashed out and picked off the remaining fighters.

“Sir, the station’s shields are holding.” Damar reported with some surprise.

“That’s impossible, Federation shields have always proven useless against our weapons.” Weyoun interjected as he looked over Damar’s shoulder at the tactical display.

“I have found it wise never to underestimated the Federation’s technical skill or Captain Sisko’s resourcefulness.” Dukat replied smugly. “Damar, bring us around for another pass.”

The Dominion fleet slowly wheeled around and unleashed another barrage on the station. Fires erupted all along the shield grid but they held. A phaser blast cut through a diving Cardasian light cruiser and the vessel could no longer pull out of its dive, crashing against the shields in a burst of plasma and flaming debris.

On the Defiant, Jadzia Dax flipped on her communicator.

“Chief, how much longer?”

“Just another couple of minutes. Take us to our final set of coordinates.” O’Brien replied busily punching data into a pad as he watched his crews feverishly working on the mines in the bay.

“Helm, take us to-”

The Defiant shook violently as Jem Hadar fighters dove down in an attack on the Federation starship. White anti-polaron beams lanced into the Defiant, her shields barely able to hold back the vicious onslaught.

“Chief, I’m going to have to take evasive maneuvers.”

“You do that and you risk setting off every mine on this ship.” O’Brien replied loudly as he held onto a railing for support.

“And if I don’t we may not have a ship left.”

The Defiant moved along in a straight line, an easy target for the hunting fighters. Suddenly a shadow passed the Defiant and the shadow coalesced into a solid form. A Klingon Bird of prey fired her forward disruptors destroying the lead Jem Hadar fighter of the pack. The other two peeled away in opposite directions breaking off their pursuit of the Defiant. The Bird of Prey did not hesitate and locked onto one of the fighters following her.

On the bridge of the Defiant Jadzia smiled as General Martok’s face appeared on her viewer.

“You may continue your work commander. I will handle the Jem Hadar.”

“Who says there’s never a Klingon around when you need one?” Dax asked with a grin. Martok chucked with glee.

“Shields at 35%” Nog reported as a console erupted into a shower sparks behind him.

“Mr. Worf make every shot count.” Sisko urged.

Worf nodded and returned to his duty as he found more targets on his tactical display than he had weapons banks for.

“All wings and batteries, concentrate your fire on the outer docking ring. We have to get their shields down.” Dukat urged.

The fleet soon clustered around the station, inching in closer despite the withering fire and firing their weapons on the outer ring of the station, engulfing it in writhing clouds of fire and plasma.

“We’ve lost main power to the shields!” Nog shouted in alarm.

“Switching to auxiliary power but we do not know how long it will hold.” Worf added as he gripped the sides of his station. A heavy volley of fire rocked the station.

Explosions wracked the bridge of the station sending personnel tumbling over railings or sprawled out on the floor.

“Defiant to Captain Sisko.”

“Dax, go ahead.”

“We’ve set the last mine.”

“Activate field and return to the station.”

“Acknowledged, Dax out.”

The Defiant spun away from the minefield as it slowly faded from view.

“The minefield-”

“I have eyes, Damar.” Dukat snapped.

“This isn’t turning out quite the way I planned.” Weyoun added dejected.

“It’s a minor setback Weyoun. Once we take the station we’ll be able to dismantle the minefield without interference.” Dukat soothed.

“Let’s both hope you’re confidence is justified.” Weyoun replied icily.
Dukat leaned in close to Dumar. “Dumar, signal the reserves to prepare for a final assault.”

Damar nodded.

The fleet gathered for the final push.

“The Dominion fleet is regrouping. And I’m detecting a new wave on enemy ships entering Bajoran space.” Kira reported, despair in her voice.

“What do we do Captain?”

Sisko nodded to himself.

“We wait.”

“Sir?” Kira replied hesitantly.

“Sir, I’m picking up a strange subspace distortion in the midst of the Dominion fleet.” Nog relayed obviously confused.

“I’ll say this for them. They are punctual.” Sisko noted.

“Sir?” Worf asked.

Suddenly on the screen, the Dominion fleet was scattered by several enormous objects that flashed into view from nowhere.

“What in the name of the prophets is that?” Kira breathed.

Seven enormous ships were suddenly in the midst of the Dominion fleet. Enormous spheres surrounded by an armored ring, the ships were firing on the Dominion fleet from numerous quad mounted turreted weapons that were clustered around the main ring of the warship.

The Dominion fleet was in complete disarray, the chaos only increased as the weapons detonated with tremendous power. Dominion ships erupted like fiery blossoms ringing the new comer ships.

Several Jem Hadar fighters broke into a tight formation and began attacking the lead ship, their harsh white anti-polaron beams lanced into the ring section of the warship, only to flare up into a frenetic light show with no visible effect on the ship’s hull itself. Torpedoes flashed away, several detonating harmlessly against the spherical central hubs of the alien ships.

More withering fire was the response and several more of the larger dominion ships were shorn in half by the heavy fire. The detonations of near misses were more than enough to send the smaller fighters into out of control spins.

“Those are warships of the Trade Federation.”

“Trade Federation? I’ve never heard of them, or seen ships like that before.” Worf replied as he watched the Dominion fleet literally disintegrating before his eyes.

“You won’t believe the power outputs I’m reading on those batteries. They seem to be firing some form of plasma based energy.”

“Captain, who are these people?” Kira asked in amazement.

“They are our new allies.” Sisko replied with a slow smile as the last of the Dominion fleet fled into warp.

The small town looked as if it had been standing in the center of the fields since time immemorial. Townsfolk wandered around quietly, each attending to their own business. There was a silence that pervaded this town, a sense of utter stasis.

The breeze was weak and almost inconsequential as it moved through the town, occasionally kicking up a small dust cloud before disappearing into the surrounding builds, rattling a few signs along the way.

A single road ran down the center of the town but it looked as if no one had driven on the road in a long time. Paved but perfect, not a single crack or loose pebble on its black top surface, not even a stray weed or plant poking out of a corner.

A middle aged man sat on steps leading up to a small house staring up into the sky as if seeing something that wasn’t there. He seemed to be lost in thought. He suddenly paused as if he heard something far off, like the distant rumble of thunder.

His eyes narrowed on the far horizon up the road past the tattered scarecrow.

His face suddenly betrayed surprise and dismay.

“Oh no.” he muttered and stood up quickly.

The rest of the townsfolk seemed to feel his distress and several turned to regard him with a passing curiosity.

“No, not this, not now.” He muttered.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Nice, very nice. Only comment: IIRC, Pike was on the Enterprise for two Five-year missions, not just one.

Other than that, quite good.
JADAFETWA
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Cool! More Stravo goodness to feed our addiction.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Whoa. :shock:

Great stuff, but a little long for one chapter.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yay!!!

More crack for our addiction :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

temporal mechanics gives me a headache, and what do you do Stravo, you go and get me hooked on a time twisting tale with sooooo much potential... in the words of stewie from the family guy "DAMN YOU TO THE BOWELS OF BLODDY HELL!" lol

keep up the good work man!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Ah. This is much different from SC. I think I see the central topic of the story, and I look forward to seeing more of it, Stravo.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

I like it, and I'm anticpating Kirk butting heads with somebody....And a minor nitpick:

“I am half Vulcan and for the record I am the first and only Vulcan currently serving in Starfleet.

*coughT'Polcough* Excellent as per usual. :D
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I like it, and I'm anticpating Kirk butting heads with somebody....And a minor nitpick:

“I am half Vulcan and for the record I am the first and only Vulcan currently serving in Starfleet.

*coughT'Polcough* Excellent as per usual. :D

Although technically correct there are two reasons why I don't consider myself wrong here:

1) I do believe that Starfleet has not been formed yet in Enterprise, that the ship is an Earth exploratory vessel with T'pol onboard as an advisor.

2) Enterprise does not exist in my world....EVER. :wink:

desertjedi
Padawan Learner

Post by desertjedi »

I thought T'pol was a Vulcan Government Attache or representative. Wasn't there an episode where The Vulcan government was going to recall her back but Archer somehow changed their minds or something? I think that's why she doesn't wear a Starfleet uniform either.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Enterprise pre-dates the formation of the UFP. Spock may still be the first vulcan to serve in the Federation Starfleet
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Your name is Frank Fontaine?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Stravo wrote:Although technically correct there are two reasons why I don't consider myself wrong here:

1) I do believe that Starfleet has not been formed yet in Enterprise, that the ship is an Earth exploratory vessel with T'pol onboard as an advisor.
Right then, so you get off on a techincality, stupid non-UFP Akiraprise BS...
2) Enterprise does not exist in my world....EVER. :wink:
Oh really? Tell that to Captain Archer of Starcrossed then. :P
HemlockGrey wrote:Your name is Frank Fontaine?
Well judging that it says so at the top of this and Starcrossed, I'd say yes, yes it is.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

A new Chapter in my new story. Introducing a race from SW that always intrigued me but never got any attention on screen. If the EU contradicts their portrayal here...*Shrugs* I like them the way I wrote them. Anyway please enjoy this new chapter.

Chapter 2: Marching Orders

“O that a man might know the end of this day’s business ‘ere it come.”
Julius Caesar
Act 5 scene i

“I am most impressed” Kirk commented with a satisfied nod as he examined the cavernous engineering section of his new ship. He could hear the dull steady thrumming of the great warp engines that echoed in the long chamber. The warp core, behind a mesh wall of tritanium was quietly powering his vessel. Engineers were moving throughout the section, checking stations and making minor adjustments, each one intent on his or her duty.

“Mr. Scott, I have heard about you in my years of service, and every time your name was mentioned it was always quickly followed by the appellation of miracle worker. I can see now why that must be true.”

Montgomery Scott smiled softly.

“Tis a moniker that I am most uncomfortable with sair. I am merely doing my duty as a Starfleet engineer. It is my job to make sure these vessels are functioning correctly.”

Kirk smiled as he ran his hand over a console and it came away completely dust free.

“I read in an after action report that on the very first five year mission when the Enterprise left space dock under the command of Robert April the Enterprise’s warp drive refused to function despite simulations that said that they were fine. A battery of self diagnostics later revealed the ship’s warp drive was lightly out of balance and it would take the engineering teams three days to rebalance them. You went in here with a team of your own crew and rebalanced the engines in 16 HOURS.” Kirk relayed softly as he glanced down the long bay where the intermix chamber led off into the deep recesses of his ship, way back to the struts leading up to the engine nacelles. before when he served on these beautiful ships he never really had the time to admire the ships.

“Well, sair, in all fairness to Captain April, he was the one that urged I do so before the launching of the new Constitution class be dubbed a fiasco. There was quiet a bit of pressure to perform then.”

Kirk nodded.

“Modest, I like that, very well Mr. Scott, I fully intend for us to be underway within the next twelve hours. Will the warp drive be ready?”

“You have my word sair. When you give the word, we will be ready.” Scotty replied with a proud smile.

“I don’t doubt it.” Kirk said with a wink and walked out of engineering. Mr. Spock fell into step beside him.

“We have been ordered to take on a transport immediately.”

“Oh?” Kirk asked with a wry grin. Gary had pulled one of his little miracles and actually linked up with the ship. Still, it was not going to spare him from the drubbing Kirk was going to give him for coming late to his assignment, particularly when Kirk wanted him for the post of XO. How could Gary be so reckless?

“Starfleet command wants us to take on Lieutenant commander Elizabeth Dehner immediately. She has special eyes only orders from Starfleet that you will need to see as soon as she arrives.”

“This doesn’t sound like your standard milk run does it Mr. Spock?” Kirk asked slightly concerned.

“Milk run?” Spock asked.

Kirk stopped in mid-stride and glanced over at the Vulcan. There was no sign on his face that betrayed any humor.

“Oh, of course, human colloquial term. It means the simple ferrying of passengers or equipment. I thought Starfleet was anxious to get us back into space.”

“Priorities seemed to have changed. There has been a major outbreak in the Deneb colonies of Rindallan fever. The Lexington was dispatched to the colony to provide medical assistance.”

“What does that have to do with us?” Kirk asked curiously as they entered the turbolift.

“The Lexington was on a mission to an unknown part of space, the transport was originally intended for the Lexington when it was rerouted to the Enterprise in mid transit.”

“And how do you know this?”

“I make it a habit to know the patrol and duty rosters for sister ships in the vicinity for just such occasions. Captain Pike was routinely waylaid from his missions by emergencies which arose that the Enterprise was the only ship in the area to respond to. As a Constitution class vessel we have become the workhorse of the Federation, acting as both diplomatic, humanitarian and military vessel.”

“True enough. But I was rather looking forward to taking my first step into the unknown, not ferrying passengers to god knows where.” Kirk replied with a dejected tone as the turbolift took them to the shuttle bay.

Gary smiled softly at the beautiful blonde seated across from him in the shuttle. She was reading over some reports, almost too diligent. He had seen her furtive glances and continued to smile wolfishly at her throughout the whole transit.

“So tell me, Doctor, what are you assigned to on the Enterprise?” he asked.

She hesitantly looked up.

“I am going as a special consultant. I am a doctor of psychology, specializing in human and alien psychology.”

“Really?” he replied leaning forward. She leaned back.

“I have experience on two other five year missions and many consider me the top of my field in interspecies negotiations.” she offered feeling very uncomfortable under the intense young man’s gaze.

“I’m considered top of my field in interspecies relations as well.” Gary said meaningfully.

“Mr. Mitchell, would you please.”

“What?” he asked innocently, leaning slightly closer.

“You are invading my personal space, there are some species in this galaxy that would consider that an offense worthy of taking your life.”

“Oh, I see, so you’re afraid.” he noted with a twinkle in his eyes.

“I am hardly afraid of you, Mr. Mitchell. In fact, I pity you.” she replied haughtily with a toss of her head.

“Pity?” he asked sharply, drawing back as if stung.

“Yes, I see in you many traits that speak of a man over compensating for some deficiencies.”

“Oh Christ, are we resorting to member size jokes because that’s just childish.”

“Oh no, Mr. Mitchell. What I’m talking about is much more than that. The deficiencies I speak of are self perceived true or not you see flaws and weaknesses within yourself that you try very hard to compensate for with this easy going devil may care attitude of yours. Frankly, I don’t know how you weren’t tagged with this during the battery of psych tests performed in the first year at the academy. You obviously display traits that indicate a willingness to take risks in order to succeed and you measure success as total or none.”

Gary watched her speak, part of him fascinated by her insight, part fascinated by how beautiful she was, the way her chest heaved as she poke, the slight inclination of her long willowy neck, the unconscious toss of her head that sent light spiking through her short blonde hair.

“Your ease with women indicates a general uneasiness around members of the opposite sex and most likely includes the fact that you have no close female friends as you either tend to objectify them as conquests to satisfy your ego or threats to your emotional stability.”

Gary opened his mouth to protest only to realize that he did not have any female friends.

“Your bonds with males is always rivalry whether friendly or not and you cannot connect on a deep emotional level with anyone because you must maintain some semblance of control.”

“Uh.”

“And in fact I do believe that if we go further than that I see a potential for you to even develop a god complex given enough command authority or power in order to exert yet more control. Quite a failing in command material that would have been weeded out if you didn’t sleep with your psych evaluator.”

“How in the hell..”

“Lauren really thought you liked her, Mr. Mitchell. you played her for a fool and I was there to pick up some of those pieces.” she added coolly.

Mitchell sat back and rubbed a hand through his hair.

“Despite the fact that your body language indicates a general agreement with my points I could still be wrong.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, you could simply be an asshole, Mr. Mitchell, a run of the mill asshole.” She replied coolly and returned to her report. Gray stared at her in shock and amazement. He slowly sat back and smirked.

He did not want to think about what she said, she was a headshrinker after all and they tended to be quiet arrogant and self deluded about their own skills.

He opened his mouth to say something snide.

“And as I understand that you weren’t very good either.” She added without looking up from her report. Gary’s mouth hung open.

“Uh, we’re here sirs.” the pilot announced as the shuttle entered the cavernous hangar bay of the Enterprise. The pilot had been secretly entertained by the back and forth between the two.

“Thanks a lot.” Gary said with a smile and gathered up his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder. Dr. Dehner gathered her own belongings from an overhead compartment and loudly struggled with a heavy piece of luggage. She glanced over at Gary who was standing whistling to himself. Gary smiled at her.

“This is the 23rd century, DOCTOR Dehner. You ladies fend for yourselves now, no?” he replied and sauntered over to the airlock. Dr. Dehner muttered to herself and managed to pull it down. She struggled over to the airlock as it cycled open and Gary walked out without taking a look back. She glared at him and continued struggling down the shuttle ramp into the hangar bay.

Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock stood waiting patiently as she reached them. Gary and Kirk exchanged smiles.

“Lieutenant Commander Gary Mitchell reporting for duty, sir.” Gary said and snapped a sharp salute.

“Doctor Elizabeth Dehner reporting for duty sir. I have this for you from Starfleet command.” she handed Kirk a data disk and saluted.

“Thank you, Doctor. We will convene a briefing as soon as I have a chance to look at this and be under way.”

“Coordinates for our rendezvous have been loaded here. please have this course plotted and entered. We are under some time constraints and have to arrive at our destination as soon as possible.”

“Of course, Mr. Mitchell?”

“Sir?”

“Since you’re the chief navigator, I want you to plot this course and get us under way immediately.”

“Ji-Uh, Captain I just arrived.”

“According to my duty roster you should have reported for duty 12 hours ago.”

“Well, uh-“”

“That’s all mister.” Kirk snapped.

“Yes sir!” Gary replied stiffly and snapped a salute and stalked off the bay. Spock watched him curiously. As far as Spock knew, Gary Mitchell and Captain Kirk had been friends since the academy. They had served together on almost every assignment. He found it refreshing that Kirk had not allowed this friendship to creep into the professional relationship. Spock was satisfied that the new Captain may not have been as subject to cronyism as Number One had suggested last night over dinner.

“Mr. Spock will show you to your quarters, Doctor. I will attend to Starfleet’s orders and we’ll meet again for briefing in let’s sat one hour?”

“That would be acceptable, Captain.” Dr. Dehner replied with a nod. Kirk walked out of the hangar deck holding the data disk in his hand and wondering what was the rush?

“Is this his first command?” Dehner asked as she watched him leave.

“Yes.”

“I thought so. Starfleet was worried about this but we really don’t have much of a choice.” she muttered aloud.

“May I inquire as to the nature of this assignment?” Spock asked.

“I’m sorry Mr. Spock, but that’s up to your Captain, not me. By the way, Lieutenant Commander Mitchell is a little senior to be a navigator, don’t you think?” she asked casually as she organized her luggage.

“I had not noticed. Nevertheless, he will not be for long. The Captain intends to make him First Officer as soon as our current XO is transferred.”

“First officer?” she replied in shock. “THAT man?”

“Is there a problem.”

“No.” she muttered and fixed her uniform, fuming at the thought that a pig of a man would make it to first officer in Starfleet.

“Well, Mr. Spock, if you will.” she gestured for him to lead the way. Spock eyed the luggage.

“Perhaps, Doctor, I can be of assistance.” he indicated the luggage.

“Why Mr. Spock, didn’t you know, it’s the 23rd Century. We women want and demand equality.” she replied with a lop sided smile and grunted as she hefted her luggage.

Spock raised an eyebrow in response before leading her out of the hangar bay.

Kirk sat back with a groan and slipped the disk into his computer.

“Computer play message from Starfleet Authorization James T. Kirk, Captain of the Enterprise.”

“Working…voice print confirmed.”

The viewer sitting on his desk flashed on and Admiral Nogura spoke.

“Captain Kirk, this is an emergency situation. What I am about to tell you is on a strictly need to know basis. On stardate we made contact with an alien species from another galaxy.”

Kirk sat up straighter.

“This species is remarkably similar to our own, at least the initial contact was, upon further negotiations it turns out that like the Federation this society was a collection of alien species that calls themselves the Galactic Republic. They have close to a million worlds under their control and governance.”

Kirk whistled.

“Currently they are involved in a Civil War with a group of Separatists representing a small but powerful minority of the Republic that are trying to break away and blackmail the Republic through the use of an illegal robot army. This army has inflicted heavy casualties on the Republic military and has forced them to resort to mass cloning to keep up with the Separatists building program. The Republic on the surface appears to share very similar cultural values and a system of government almost identical to the Federation’s.”

“Their technological development is also incredible, surpassing most any other alien civilization we have yet encountered in our five year missions. They have offered to share this technology with us but they are also eager to have an ally in this civil war. The Federation High Council is extremely interested in getting this technology but at the same time weary of entering into a war in a conflict we can hardly understand at this point. The Federation agreed to dispatch a Starship to investigate the matter first hand. The Lexington was originally assigned to this task, Captain Trason was rated best in his class for diplomacy and he is in the middle of a five year mission now. However a recent medical emergency has forced us to reroute the Lexington to save the Deneb colonists. This leaves the only ship which can undertake the mission, the Enterprise.”

Kirk sat back and shook his head slowly. This was certainly what he did not expect.

“Doctor Elizabeth Dehner has been dispatched to act as an observer and consultant. She is an expert in alien human interactions and she has met with the Republic’s representative several times so she has some familiarity with the issues that may come up. You are to utilize Doctor Dehner as a consultant for you, Captain. Your mission is to see if they are indeed what they claim to be. Pay particular attention to the war situation. See what sort of opposition we can expect and what the true gripes of the opposition are. The Republic is an ancient space faring civilization and we will accord them the utmost respect. While in their galaxy you will be representing the Federation so do your best to uphold those ideals and beliefs.

On weightier military issues, you have the following restrictions in regards to rules of engagement. Should Separatists ships enter your area you will not fire first, nor will you initiate hostilities in any way. If you come under fire you have permission to return fire but look for retreat where possible. We cannot afford to be dragged into a war just yet unless we have reason and proof that our potential allies are worth the cost in blood and treasure we will undoubtedly incur. Put it this way, captain. We are not looking for war but we will not back down from it should it come looking for us. You have authorization to negotiate with the Republic any technological exchanges or treaties save an alliance. That must be negotiated by our diplomatic corps. This is essentially a fact finding mission, Captain. A very open ended fact finding mission. You will unfortunately be out of contact with the Federation for the duration of the mission. So far we have been unable to set up a communications link through the wormhole so you will be on your own, captain. Make us proud. Admiral Nogura out.”

Kirk stared at the dark screen for a long while as the depths of the mission slowly sank in.

“Welcome aboard sirs. It is an honor to have you aboard my vessel.” Captain Leeto beamed as Obi Wan and Anakin strode into the command center of the Dreadnought Valor’s Gaze.

“It’s a pleasure, captain. We hope that all is ready for deployment.”

“Of course, Master Kenobi. The last fighters have been ferried up from Coruscant and my escort ships are just now taking up position for the jump to lightspeed.” the Rodian replied with a proud sweep of his arms.

“Good, then there’s not a lot of time. We have to get underway immediately.” Anakin added darkly. Obi Wan glanced at him for a moment and turned back to Captain Leeto.

“Please, captain, we don’t wish to get in the way of your crew’s work. Anakin and I will be setting up our quarters. Do we have an estimated time of arrival?”

“My navigator tells me that we should be able to reach the target area in 13 hours if the hyperspace lanes are kind.” Leeto replied.

“Have you been fully briefed on our mission?” Anakin asked pointedly.

“Why yes, master Jedi, I have indeed.”

“Because this is not going to be a walk in the park. We may be facing down a major Separatist battle group at the target area.” Anakin replied. Obi Wan was concerned by Anakin’s intensity.

Leeto blinked, his snout twitched slightly, a sign of confusion among his people.

“I am well aware of the hazards we may face, Jedi Skywalker. My crew and I just came back from the Korvis campaigns. We know all about the Separatists and what their fleets are capable of. Nevertheless I will do what I can for the Republic and so will my crew.”

“Very good, Captain. We would ask for nothing less. Now if you will excuse us.” Obi Wan bowed his head respectfully and nearly dragged Anakin with him off the bridge. As they walked down the long corridors that led down into the bowels of the ship Obi Wan glanced over at his old padawan.

“Do you mind telling me what that was all about?” he asked.

“Did I say anything wrong?” Anakin replied.

Obi Wan frowned.

“No, but there is a way to convey what you were trying to do without confusing or frightening the crew. You don’t need to remind them that we’re heading into a very difficult battle.”

“Why not?” Anakin snapped and turned on his heel to face Obi Wan. “Why shouldn’t we tell them plainly that they are facing horrible odds. We have vast armadas at our disposal but the best we can do is this ship. Tell me you don’t feel it Obi Wan? There is something else at work here and we’re in the middle of it.”

“Anakin, I will not deny that I too have a strange feeling, like something else is wrong, somewhere, but that does not change the here and now.” Obi Wan blinked for a moment as he remembered his old teacher and realized how he had just mirrored Qui Gon’s philosophy. Sometimes, he wondered, if Anakin ever felt the same way about his own teachings.

“The here and now, Obi Wan? That’s precisely what has me worried.”

Obi Wan’s eyes suddenly narrowed.

“That’s not all, Anakin. There’s something else.”

Anakin grimaced and turned away but Obi Wan could feel it clearly now, despite Anakin’s frantic attempts at covering the emotions raging within him.

“Your thoughts betray you Anakin. You are worried about Senator Amidala.” Obi Wan said softly.

“You stay out of my mind!” Anakin hissed.

“Anakin!” Obi Wan replied hotly. “We are Jedi and you were my padawan. My thoughts and yours have ever been open to each other.”

Anakin stood quietly facing Obi Wan for a moment and he saw a terrible dark shadow pass over his old padawan’s face. For a moment it looked as if Anakin’s face had been swallowed in shadow.

“I apologize, Obi Wan. Yes I am worried about Padme. She is very special to me.” Anakin replied in an almost sheepish tone, but there was an edge there as well, as if it had cost him to even conceded this small point.

“I thought we discussed this.”

“What was there to discuss? As I recall you lectured me as if by you telling me it could erase what was in my heart.”

“I’m not asking you to do that, Anakin. No Jedi could control his heart in such a manner, but loving someone in the way you love Padme is forbidden. A Jedi must not have attachments, you know this. I AM telling you that a Jedi can control his feelings, we must do so at all times. The way down the road that you wish to travel is paved with horrible consequences, Anakin.” Obi Wan reached out and touched his old friend’s shoulder, gently squeezing it. “I’m telling you this for your own good.”

Anakin looked at his old mentor and tried to smile.

“I understand.” he replied softly and walked down the corridor without looking back. Obi Wan watched him s he disappeared down a bend and tried to ignore the warning in his own heart. There was something more Anakin was not telling him.

“And you’re saying that this was known by Starfleet all along?” Worf demanded as Sisko led his staff to the main airlock.

“That’s right Mr. Worf. Our allies would secure Deep Space Nine while a combined Federation-Klingon armada struck at the Dominion shipyards. These two blows have crippled their current offensive and they will be put on the defensive now.”

“I don’t know sir, these allies appearing out of nowhere to help us, nothing comes this way for free.” Kira noted darkly.

“Major, I would agree with you except that I already know the answer.”

“Oh?”

Odo stood stoically waiting for them at the main airlock.

“All security precautions have been made, Captain. Your guests will be arriving shortly.” Odo reported.

“Thank you, Constable.” Sisko replied and stood in front of the airlock waiting patiently.

“You didn’t answer the question.” Kira pressed.

“I just got here, Benjamin, I hope I didn’t miss much.” Jadzia interrupted as she approached walking quickly, O’Brien right behind her.

“No, old man, looks like the fun is about to start.”

They could hear the sound of airlocks coupling and a hiss as atmospheres were mixed and pressurized in the airlock housing. They could also see shadows moving behind the thick glass of the observation window.

“Captain.” Kira began.

“Major, a little patience.” Sisko cut her off.

The doors slid open. The gathered officers snapped to attention as several figures stepped through the airlock onto the station itself.

The first figure was a short and slim alien, with large head and black doll like eyes with a nictating membrane. He moved easily in his long flowing robes and made way for two three others that followed. Two wore impressive battle armor that covered their entire bodies and helmets that covered their faces only revealing a black T on their face plate, no sign of eyes at all. They moved like predators as they cleared the airlock, each one was armed and Sisko noted the way their hands never strayed far from their weapons. Unless he was mistaken, those were missiles strapped to their backs. The last figure was a tall slim female, blue skin and red glowing eyes. She wore a tight form fitting combat suit with black robes that flowed behind her. She was unarmed save for a small metal handle that was clipped prominently to her utility belt.

The alien moved towards Sisko and bowed his head.

“Captain Benjamin Sisko, I presume.” The alien said with a thick accented English.

“Yes, and you must be Biblos Tannas.” Sisko replied with a nod.

“Permit me to introduce my associates in the Separatist Union.” Biblos began and stepped back to allow the two armored warriors to approach. They stopped and slowly pulled off their helmets. One was male the other female. The male was rugged and handsome, a long white scar ran down from his right temple down to the corner of his lip. His eyes were dark and penetrating like a blade and he seemed to be aware of everything going on around him. Streaks of iron gray hair streaked along the sides of his head and his hair was a short austere military crew cut.

“My name is Tantos Dree, Supreme Commander of the Mandalorian Protectorate.” The man said in a dangerous near whisper.

“Commander Dree.” Sisko replied and nodded. Tantos held out his hand. Sisko eyed it for a brief second and extended his own. Tantos without hesitation gripped Sisko’s forearm, wrapping his hand around it and giving it a firm squeeze, Sisko responded a heartbeat later with his own hard squeeze. Tantos smiled but it was like ice.

“You have a good firm grip, Captain. You are a fighting man I presume?” he asked as they released each other.

“Something tells me that the next step may be whipping them out and measuring.” Jadzia whispered to Kira who did her best to withhold the snort.

“I consider myself a commander and diplomat.”

“Ah, evasive are we? I suggest you may be a wolf among sheep captain Sisko. I specifically requested to meet you from reading your record.”

“I had no idea you had access to that.” Odo interjected.

“We are allies, the tripartite agreement was signed on Andor on your stardate . We want to know who we will be fighting alongside.” The woman interjected coolly.

“Allow me to introduce my Adjunct, Vania Lisus.” Tantos added in his whisper.

Vania was a tall dark skinned human with long luxurious hair that she kept in an intricate braid running down the back of her suit. She was young, definitely the youngest in this group but her eyes spoke of experience, stress lines around the eyes and mouth betrayed that she had endured far more than her years should. Her eyes were like ice, slowly passing over everyone and passing no judgments, simply accepting things as they were.

She was also incredibly beautiful.

Sisko took a moment to gather his thoughts.

“Ms. Lisus, a pleasure.”

“Thank you Captain.” she replied and offered her hand which he took and gripped her forearm and she in return.

“My adjunct is fiercely protective of our interests.”

“And by our interests he means the Alliance in general.” the last woman spoke and her voice was calm and quiet, but there was an edge to every word.

“Finally allow me to introduce Severance Tan, she is the apprentice of the leader of our organization, Count Dooku.”

“Ms. Tan.” Sisko nodded. Severance Tan moved as if she were floating through the very air. She glided over to them and regarded each one stoically.

“Captain Sisko, I assume that your government’s ambassador and liaison is on his way? We are anxious to get the operation underway. A pause in the conflict has come and we must do what we can to gather our strength.”

“The Enterprise is enroute. captain Jean Luc Picard will be heading up that mission to your space. The Enterprise is due to arrive in 8 hours.”

“Excellent, I look forward to meeting Captain Picard. His correspondence has been very illuminating on your culture and government.” Severance Tan replied. Kira shivered slightly as she looked at the tall blue skinned woman. It wasn’t the eyes, there was something else about her. While the Mandalorians were obviously dangerous like Jem Hadar, she was dangerous in another way that she could not quite place.

Tantos smiled suddenly as he caught sight of Worf.

“This must be a Klingon.” he stated and eyed Worf. Worf looked slightly uncomfortable with the sudden attention but responded by keeping his eyes trained on Tantos. They stared at each other for a long moment and Tantos finally smiled, it was a cold emotionless smile.

“I have so longed to meet a Klingon and I am not disappointed.” Tantos replied and nodded affirmatively to Vania.

“I am happy that you are pleased. I have never met a Mandalorian. I assume you are warriors?” Worf replied.

Kira rolled her eyes.

“Warriors? Mandalorians are not just warriors, we are the personification of war. We are dedicated to the struggle, our lives begin in blood and torment and end in the same way. Death and we are intimate lovers the old Mandalorian saying goes. But you will see soon enough. One does not dedicate themselves to war with the Jedi lightly.” Tantos replied proudly.

“Shall we retire and discuss matters in a more comfortable setting?” Sisko suggested.

“Of course.” Biblos replied and bowed.

Vania looked around the station as they walked through the promenade.

“This facility is crude but it should proof adequate for our purposes.” Vania commented to Tantos.

“I’m sorry, what would that be?” Jadzia asked suspiciously.

Tantos smiled coolly.

“Why, my dear, Deep Space Nine is going to be transferred to our galaxy to act as a defensive station for the wormhole between our galaxies.” Tantos answered quietly as they made their way through the promenade.

“You really must forgive my adjunct, Captain Sisko. She is young and inexperienced, my people are not known for our diplomatic skills. We leave that arena to our esteemed allies from the Trade Federation.” Tantos added and Biblos nodded cordially.

“And we would not have survived as long as we have without the Mandalorians at our sides. They really are fanatastic warriors, captain as you will soon see. The Separatsist Union is a brotherhood of many disparate powers that do not take kindly to despots and dictators.” Biblois added with his heavy accent.

“After closely studying your Federation and its culture we knew that you would fit in well with the union. The other powers of this quadrant simply do not share our ideals of freedom and justice.” Severance added softly, her glowing red eyes quietly regarding each of them as she spoke.

“And this Dominion least of all.” Biblos added.”

“Cloners.” Tantos spat. “Nothing worse than cloners. Don’t you worry Captain we fully expect to be landing troops at Cardasia Prime in 14 hours.”

Sisko stopped short.

“You just entered the war! Cardasia has rings of fortress worlds you have to penetrate before we can directly assault Cardasia.”

Tantos nodded sagely.

“True enough, but we can bypass these worlds and strike at the heart Captain. Then we can take our time tearing apart the fortress worlds. Without supplies and orders from the capital world, it is our experience that the rest withers on the vine.” Tantos gripped Sisko’s shoulder. His voice dropped to an intimate whisper. “Trust me, Captain. My people have been fighting wars for millennia. We know what we’re doing., You will soon be free of the Dominion and we will have stopped another cloning power from gaining ascendance.”

Kira could not help thinking about what she had said earlier in jest. Nothing was free, everything had a price. Kira and Jadzia exchanged troubled glances.

Zaku-chan
Rabid Monkey

Post by Zaku-chan »

Waitaminute....am I reading this right?

Are you going to pit TOS and TNG-era starfleets against each other? :shock:

Awesome. :twisted:
"The arrow can only be fired once...we'll see how it lands." -Admiral Delaz
Hail Zeon!
Image = Newtype Monkey, BotM
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Sisko-Seperates talk... is it just me or did that entire thing feel rushed?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Actually Bean, they're walking in the Promenade discussing things, the actual sit down talks occur in the next chapter. This was a getting to know you thing.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Woo! Severance Tann! :D
JADAFETWA
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

[quote=Stravo]I see a potential for you to even develop a god complex [/quote] Just the tiniest allusion to Star Crossed? :)

So if DS9 is going to be gaurding the wormhole and Kirk is going to take the E-Nil through the wormhole... :twisted:
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Actually Bean, they're walking in the Promenade discussing things, the actual sit down talks occur in the next chapter. This was a getting to know you thing.
Yes... I dunno, can't put my finger on it but honsetly, I never have much problem with your work but the entire exchange seems like.... welll pure unadultrated crap, no other way for saying it, Sisko seems out of charater and the Mandorian's seem like villians of the week rather than impossing

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

So now Starvo has not one, BUT TWO kickass fanfics going at once :shock: And here's me having trouble finding time for one! Can he dilate time or something!!!

But the fic is kicking ass so far, and it's good to see a prequel era SW in a SW vs ST fanfic. (Is this the first?)
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Mr Bean wrote:
Yes... I dunno, can't put my finger on it but honsetly, I never have much problem with your work but the entire exchange seems like.... welll pure unadultrated crap, no other way for saying it, Sisko seems out of charater and the Mandorian's seem like villians of the week rather than impossing
Really??! Well then that is troubling to me as that is precsiely what I don't want to project regarding the Mandalorians. Hmmmm...how about you give me until the next chapter and if you really don't like their portrayal then we'll discuss things and see what can be done to improve things.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Also, since SC will be finished after this years GSDA's does that mean that both SC and this will be eligable for next years GSDA's? If so how many people are prediciting a clean sweep for Stravo?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 3: Encounters and Deliberations

“Have more than thou showest, speak less than thou knowest.”
King Lear Act 1, Scene iv

“And why doesn’t she want to use the transporter?” Kirk asked softly as he adjusted the collar of his dress uniform. He had not worn one of these in a long time and his first as Captain. Doctor Dehner eyed the medals on his lapel and breast. He may have been an inexperienced captain but it was obvious that he was no stranger to stressful situations. Most of the commendations were for valor and service above and beyond. This was no paper pushing administrator.

“Her people are inexperienced with transporters. Frankly I think that they don’t trust them.”

“I had an acquaintance of mine that felt the same way about them back on Earth, a Dr. McCoy, perhaps you heard of him?”

“Actually I have. He’s quite a skilled surgeon but has never had the drive to want to go anywhere higher up than a mere ship’s surgeon.” Dehner replied as she helped Jim adjust the collar and paused as she watched Gary Mitchell hurry into the corridor where the other senior staff were assembled.

“A mere ship’s surgeon Doctor? I wasn’t aware that saving crewmen’s lives was not something to aspire to.”

“Perhaps I misspoke.” She replied frostily as she continued observing Mitchell in her peripheral vision. He did not spare her a glance as he slapped Kirk on the shoulder and whispered to him.

“You always looked pretty in your dress uniform.” and quickly slipped back to his place among the staff. Kirk spared him a frown before returning his attention to the dress uniform. He felt uncomfortable with all the medals and commendations. Quite frankly he felt like a walking ornament.

Hikaru Sulu stood there as well, looking very uncomfortable. He was not where he was supposed to be. He assumed he would be the helmsmen of the Enterprise until he ran into a foe he never thought he would face and knew immediately he could not defeat.

Federation Bureaucracy.

It was a vile thing and it reared its ugly head as soon as he came aboard and wanted to report for duty. The duty officer looked down at Sulu’s report chit and back at his log, back at the chit, back at his log and shook his head.

“You’re not the helmsman of the Enterprise.”

“Excuse me?” Sulu’s normally bright grin faltered.

“Lee Kelso is the chief helm officer of the Enterprise.” He said in a cool monotone.

“That’s where you’re mistaken my friend, Mr. Kelso was scheduled to rotate out to another ship and I was to take his place.” Sulu replied hoping that this nice bit of logic would be enough to dispel the dark pall of red tape.

“Nope. Lee Kelso WAS scheduled to rotate out but his ship left port early and so he was reassigned to Enterprise until a new berth opens up.”

Sulu stared at the duty officer for a full minute.

“What about me?” he asked.

The duty officer looked at Sulu’s duty chit again and back at his roster.

“Astrophysics.”

“Excuse me?”

“We need a chief of astrophysics. You’re duty chit says you taught astrophysics in the Academy for two semesters.”

“Yeah, I taught astrophysics that doesn’t make me-”

“Mess hall supervisor.”

“Huh?” Sulu blinked at the robot like change in attitude.

“It’s either head of astrophysics or mess hall supervisor. Considering that there’s now a line building up behind you I suggest you choose quickly, Mr. Sulu.”

“Listen this is-”

“I guess its mess hall supervisor.” The duty officer continued without missing a beat as he started to write something on his duty roster.

“No! Wait!” Sulu exclaimed holding up his hands in surrender. Damn you, brought down by red tape. SO close yet so far. Sulu shook his head. “I’ll take head of astrophysics.” He muttered.

“Very good. Report to duty at 0500 on deck 8. Next.” The duty officer handed Sulu a disk with all the relevant information on his department and waved the next person over. Sulu slunk off, holding the disk in his dejected hands.

Now he stood here, with the others wearing his science officer’s uniform and watching Lee Kelso with barely repressed jealousy as he laughed quietly with Gary Mitchell.\

“Jedi, remember her title is Jedi and she has met with us in the past.”

“Do they really believe they are in tune with some mystical energy field?” Kirk asked sardonically as Dr Dehner inspected each of the frontline officers. She nodded to her satisfaction.

“Indeed they do, Captain. I must tell you she has demonstrated some remarkable capabilities in the past meetings which would indicate some from of psi talent superior to Vulcans.” she answered.

Spock nodded.

“Fascinating.”

The com whistled. Kirk walked over and slapped it on.

“Kirk here.”

“Sir, the Starfighter has berthed in the shuttle bay, we are finished cycling and pressurizing. your guest is almost at the door way.”

“Understood, Kirk out.” he slapped it off and nodded to Scotty who activated the airlock.

The doors to the shuttle bay snapped open. Kirk and the other assembled officers snapped to attention. Scotty blew the welcoming whistle as a hooded figure gracefully crossed the airlock threshold and swept into the corridor.

The figure paused for a moment and slowly lifted her hood.

Kirk stared.

The Jedi Knight was a tall slim woman with full lips and a thick mane of emerald hair that gently cascaded down her shoulders in shimmering locks. She smiled softly and calmly regarded each one with a blissful gaze. There was an air of serenity to her and her eyes, like chipped emeralds were piercing.

Kirk had to stop himself from staring. She was perhaps the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

“I am Jedi Knight Meerlinda Farstrider. Thank you fro welcoming me aboard your vessel Captain.” she said and bowed her head slowly. Kirk opened his mouth for a moment, nothing came out, coughed, and spoke. Gary was suppressing a fit of laughter behind him.

“Ms. Farstrider, I am Captain James Tiberius Kirk, welcome aboard the Enterprise.”

“Thank you, Captain. However, I must admit some confusion as my report stated that I would be picked up the USS Lexington under command of Captain Trason.” She replied watching each of the officer’s with a keen gaze.

“Meerlinda, I am sorry for the confusion but my government was forced to dispatch the Lexington on an Emergency relief mission and the Enterprise was the closest vessel to the rendezvous point.” Dehner explained with a smile. Meerlinda smiled in return.

“Ah, Doctor Dehner, a pleasure to see you. I was hoping to see you again on this mission. I understand of course, these things happen.”

“Ma’am, if you will allow me I can give you a guided tour of my starship and then we can retire for dinner after you have a chance to freshen up.”

“That would be fine, Captain.” She looked at him for the first time. Really looked at him. Yes, he was a very handsome young man, rugged, strong, and there was an air about him, charismatic, a natural leader. But most importantly of all was the fact that he was strong in the Force. The light of its power shone and radiated off him like the sun. He would make a powerful Jedi, and curiouser still, he was one of the few in this galaxy so far who she had seen touched by the power.

She decided right away to keep an eye on him and instantly suspected that the chance encounter with the Enterprise and the delay of the Lexington was no chance at all but the will of the Force.

Her master had been very adamant in teaching her that there were no such things as coincidences. The Force moved all to its inscrutable will.

“Allow me to introduce you to some of my senior staff.” Kirk began and motioned her forward gently. He watched her move, with all the skill and grace of a panther, sinewy muscles moving under taut skin. Her Jedi cloak parted slightly to reveal a comfortable tunic and pants, boots that were obviously accustomed to heavy wear and tear by the amount of scuff and scrapes around the point and heels, and the only thing adorning her body was a simple silver metallic handle clipped to her plain black belt.

“Number One, my Executive Officer.” Kirk said of the cold woman with short black hair.

“My pleasure.” Meerlinda said with a soft smile. Number One nodded stoically to the woman.

“Mr. Spock, Chief Science Officer of the Enterprise.”

“A Vulcan? I was unaware that any Vulcans were currently serving in Starfleet.” Meerlinda noted with a nod.

Spock raised an eyebrow ever so slightly, surprised by her intimate knowledge of the Federation and particularly Starfleet.

“I am indeed the first Vulcan to serve on a Starfleet vessel.” Spock replied nonchalantly. “I was unaware that you would know Federation member species so well.”

“I make it my business to know these things, Mr. Spock. I am a Jedi and trained in the arts of diplomacy and arbitration. I have found that only by immersing oneself in the culture and history of the culture I am dealing with can I truly understand the other side.”

“A wise policy and imminently logical.”

“Why, Mr. Spock you flatter me.” Meerlinda replied with a light airy laugh. Kirk could not help but stare at her for a moment, to bask in the light that seemed to come from her.

“And this is Dr. Piper, my chief Medical officer.”

“Doctor.”

“Ma’am.” He replied with a bow of the head.

“Gary Mitchell, chief navigator.”

“Mr. Mitchell.”

“Miss, a pleasure.”

She paused. There was something about this one, something odd. When he looked up at her there was an odd silver glint in his eyes and she felt as if his voice were speaking from within a deep well. The image passed as quickly as it came.

“Ah, thank you.” She replied doing her best to hide her unease. He watched her with a mixture of confusion and satisfaction. Dehner watched the corners of his mouth upturned in some mockery of self satisfaction.

That idiot thinks he distracted her with his charm and brilliant smile. Dehner knew otherwise, she recognized fear and apprehension when she saw it.

“Tell me Captain, does you navigator have cybernetic implants in his eyes?” Meerlinda asked softly as they continued down the line of officers.

“Gary?” Kirk replied perplexed.

“Never mind, Captain. A trick of the light, that’s all.” She replied quickly when noting his confusion. She was subject to such flashes from the Force. First Master Yoda than her own Master Thane tried to teach her how to control them but they always came unbidden when she least expected them.

“Mr. Montgomery Scott, my chief engineer.”

“Mr. Scott.”

Scotty smiled at the beautiful lass.

“Now, if you’ll follow me, I can give you a guided tour of the vessel and we can have dinner to discuss your government’s plans for us when we make the crossing.”

“Of course Captain. Elizabeth, will you be joining us?”

“Yes, Meerlinda. The Captain and I will be the primary liaisons between your government and ours.”

“Excellent. Then there will be much to say over dinner, Captain. But I must stress that time is of the essence and the sooner we make the crossing the better. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine is most anxious to meet with you.”

“And I him.” Kirk assured her. They walked down the corridor, Meerlinda in the center, Kirk and Dehner flanking her on opposite sides as they spoke. Gary watched them for a moment before smiling broadly. Sulu glanced over at him.

“What are you smiling about?” Kelso asked curiously.

“Nothing, my friend, but its good to know that I still have the Mitchell touch.” Gary said, pretending to buff his nails with his breath and examining them proudly.

“Oh? I thought it was the Mitchell ego.” Kelso replied wanly.

Gary mock frowned.

“You better watch it, Lee. You better be good to me.” Gary replied in an offended tone. He winked at the helmsman and put his arm around him his shoulders.

“Let’s get out of these monkey suits and hit the Rec deck.”

“You know, Gary, sometimes, just sometimes I really believe you could hurt somebody that crossed you.” Kelso replied half joking. Gary glanced at him in bemusement.

“Come on Lee, I’d never hurt a fly, especially you old buddy.” Gary replied with a gentle squeeze of the helmsman’s shoulder. Kelso and Gary had served together on another starship out of the academy and had forged a friendship that was serving Gary well now that he was the newest guy on the Enterprise.

Sulu watched them leave and shook his head. He doubted he would ever get the helmsman’s spot and wondered if that possibility were realized whether he could work with this ego maniac, Mitchell.

There was only breathing. He focused on the half remembered automatic action, slowly descending into the peaceful core of his being. This is what Obi Wan taught him, that in the center there was always peace, the very serenity that all Jedi strove for.

But ever since Geonosis there was no serenity, there was no stillness and peace. There was only roiling emotion, shame, fear and most disturbing of all, anger. He had not found peace even within the depths of his being. The pain of loss, loss of his innocence, his arm, his purpose. Shame, shame of his defeat, his weakness his hiding his love and marriage to Padme. Anger, anger at Dooku for coming into his life and changing it and the galaxy forever, at Obi Wan for standing in his path to power, and most of all at himself for not fully realizing his place in the order of things.

He remembered Qui Gon’s words as clearly now as the day he uttered them in the council chamber years ago.

“He is the chosen one, surely you can see that.”

I am the chosen one and here I sit in some meditative trance hoping to recover the calm and serenity I need to wield the Force as well…no better, than any Jedi. I AM power incarnate. He researched his past, hints given to him by his mysterious benefactor. Someone linked to Palpatine he was certain of that but who he had no clue.

His benefactor began slipping notes to him on his private link. At first they were only cryptic, telling him to look into certain archival books or simply warning him to be more aware of danger, the next day an assassination attempt against the Supreme Chancellor averted by his sharpened senses.

But soon his benefactor began giving him clearer signals. One of them spoke of his mother and Qui Gon’s private notes. All Jedi, particularly masters were encouraged to keep journals to be kept in the vast holo records of the Jedi Archives. Qui Gon’s were short and to the point, but there was an entry containing information about Anakin in his last entry before heading to Naboo for what would prove to be his last mission.

It spoke of Anakin’s past, his birth most curiously of all devoid of a father. He concluded that the midichlorians themselves had conceived him. In other words he was a living personification of the Force. Did anyone else realize what this meant?

I should be more powerful. The force should flow more easily through me, in fact the force should obey my every command, for I am more a part of it than any other Jedi before me. I should be power incarnate, able to move the great energy field without effort.

Then why was it so hard? Why did he struggle with it as others did? Why did it not flow like water for him?

His confusion led to annoyance then anger, sparking more dark emotions in the supposed serene core of his being. I should be powerful, more powerful than any Jedi. He had stopped the Trade Federation attempts to takeover Alderaan in a bid to seize more core worlds in order to force Palpatine to the negotiation table. He had single handedly unearthed the plot of dark Jedi that were planning to betray the Jedi at Maltusia and defeated their leader in a duel of both lightsabers and force skills, a Jedi knight considerably older and more experienced than Anakin and he had defeated him.

Yet there was always two specters looming in his thoughts. Two very distinct ghosts from his past. His mother’s kind loving face, always ready to help and to teach Anakin about charity and compassion. Slain by the animalistic Tusken raiders despite the fact that he was a powerful Jedi, he was not powerful enough to decipher his dreams, to travel to Tatooine and save her. And Count Dooku, the yin to his mother’s yang, the dark half that laughed at him as he callously sliced off his arm and sent him sprawling to the ground like a discarded piece of refuse after Anakin had given his all, opened himself to the force as he had never done before and for a moment, a brief shining moment, felt as if he were truly one with that awesome power.

But then he was defeated, maimed and tossed aside with seeming ease and he began to wonder, was the power enough. Was the Dark side that Dooku worshipped stronger? It had defeated him at his most powerful, when he felt as if the entire universe were revolving around him and the Force was completely his to command, his lightsaber moving with blinding speed, completely trusting to the precognitive flashes of the force and feeling invulnerable.

Then the searing pain of the cruel cut and the savage force push that sent him crashing to the ground like a rag doll.

All for nothing. All that power and he could not defeat this apprentice to the dark lord of the Sith.

Secretly in places that Anakin rarely visited when he meditated, he gnawed on the notion that the Dark side was indeed stronger and strength is precisely what he needed to win. Winning not for himself, for that would be selfish and make him no better than Dooku, but for the galaxy at large, to stop the chaos and the death that was consuming this galaxy. In the span of a little more than a year, millions of soldiers had died, billions displaced from their homes and worlds, entire star systems scarred by the weapons of war unleashed on both sides.

He wanted it all to end. But in order to do that he would have to be more powerful than he had ever been. More powerful than anyone had ever been.

He did not want to think about one road available to him and instead he brought himself out of his trance and his eyes snapped open, staring at the far wall and the single candle that was lit on the small table.

He stared at the candle for a moment and even it did not bring him peace. It reminded him of the greatest secret of all. The secret that would end his knighthood in utter shame. The single solitary candle reminded him of Padme, alone on Coruscant, away from him. The only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had married.

The secret could destroy them both and these thought s now flooded the young Jedi knight’s mind, filling him with apprehension and fear. He could feel it, on the very edge of his consciousness, events were in motion and he could not see them clearly, but they were like the long distorted shadows dancing on the walls behind him. They were creeping in slowly and he could not see their substance yet.

The conference room was abuzz with preparation as various aides moved along the table, handing their delegates datapads and other materials. On the view screen overlooking the table an image of a galaxy not unlike the Milky Way was projected with various color codes for areas of control and conflict. Symbols for fleets and military bases flashed intermittingly on the screen and a constant scroll of data including hard facts and statistics.

Captain Benjamin Sisko was examining the screen for a moment as an ensign handed him another datapad and a glass of water. Worf was watching the two Mandalorians. The others had not noticed he was sure but the Mandalorians had been adamant about choosing their seats. Worf noted that they did not sit with their backs to the door, in fact they had chosen the one spot in the conference room where there was no reasonable avenue of attack, away form the door and even the window behind the table. They sat calmly, allowing the Trade Federation emissary and Severance Tan to dominate most of the conversation but there was no doubt who was more in control of the facts at hand.

They were calmly letting the others take point as Tantos Dree and his aide Vania Lissus watched them with hooded expressions, their helmets neatly resting on the table before them but still wearing their armor, sans rocket pack and missile system. Chief O’Brien stared at them in disbelief as they calmly handed in their backpacks before heading into the conference room.

“As I understand it then, the initial wave of Federation forces will not be deployed to the front lines.” Sisko asked Byblos, but keeping his eyes on Tantos Dree who calmly returned the gaze.

“That is correct, until we can complete emergency refits to your vessels they will be more a hindrance than an asset on the front.” Byblos replied.

“You see, despite the fact that your technology is quite advanced in this galaxy, in our galaxy your offensive and defensive capabilities are simply not up to par with our standard warships. Your fleets would be a liability that would need to be protected more than taking part in the war effort.” Severance Tan added, sounding conciliatory.

“Although I must add that we welcome the addition to the Federation for both their bravery and their leadership.”

“Leadership?” Jadzia asked. “I don’t know about any of you but I can’t see how we can take any kind of leadership role when we have next to no knowledge of your galaxy or this war. I thought we would be junior partners for some time unless those were just words to assuage our wounded egos.” She replied and eyed Tantos warily.

Tantos smiled softly.

“I think I can answer that question old man.” Sisko interjected.

“Oh?” Kira asked curiously.

“The Separatists use war droids as the vast bulk of their armed forces. These wardroids have proven to be fairly limited in their strategic and tactical thinking if I read these after action reports correctly.”

Tantos’ smile broadened slightly. He was right about this man. He was a warrior not just some bureaucrat or glorified scientist as many of the Federation’s officer corps seemed to be. Here was one worthy of having the name ally.

“Indeed, our war droids, though powerful and deadly have proven to be very one dimensional even with extensive strategic and tactical databases downloaded into the officer units. The officers are only marginally better than the standard battle droid. We are e=lacking in a strong officer base, ones that can think on their feet and match wits with the Republic’s forces, particularly the Jedi.” Tantos replied in his soft whisper.

“These Jedi, there is scant information on them. What little is in these dossiers seems a little…far fetched.” Jadzia stated glancing down at her datapad.

“Why farfetched?” Byblos asked.

“I do believe she is responding to our analysis of their force using ability.” Severance tan replied with a sly smile.

“Ah, they would be skeptical. I understand, it is hard to believe but there you have it. My people and theirs have been at war for untold generations. They have a primal connection with a spiritual energy field.”

“Perhaps it’s some kind of esper energy the likes of which we have seen among some of the higher esper rated races in the Federation?” Jadzia theorized.

“Why is it so hard to believe in a spiritual energy field?” Kira countered.

“Let’s not veer off topic, shall we?” Sisko interjected.

“Captain Sisko, we currently have technical teams enroute to begin immediate modifications to your station that will make it a power to be reckoned with. It will become a true battle station and stationed at the mouth of the wormhole between our galaxies, it will ensure that Republic forces are not tempted to either violate your space or try to tamper with the wormhole.” Byblos reported.

“These modifications, what would they involve?” O’Brien asked seriously. He was allowed in the meeting for the plain and simple fact that Sisko wanted an engineer there to see if any of their technical analysis or assessments was questionable. So far, they had been true to their word, telling them everything they wanted to know and as far as O’Brien could tell, they were on the up and up.

“A replacement of your power core first of all, a far more powerful hypermatter reactor will be installed. Your photon torpedo launchers will be modified to fire proton torpedoes and your phaser arrays will be augmented by several turbolaser batteries. We would also need to provide you with a new shield generator grid that would significantly increase your defensive capabilities. The armament should be enough to deter all but a determined fleet level assault.” Byblos replied.

“We have also decided to station several squadrons of droid fighters in your hangar bays to give you an added offensive punch and further add a level of defensive capabilities at your disposal.” Severance added.

“We seem to be changing roles. Deep Space Nine was a station that acted more as a commercial hub for our world and this sector than as a battle station.” Kira commented.

“Let us be frank, Major Kira, this station has been more of a battle station of late with your conflict with the Dominion and the fact that the wormhole makes it the most strategically vital station in your Alpha Quadrant. We are simply optimizing it for its role in our galaxy and most importantly of all it protects YOUR galaxy, not our assets.”

Kira blinked.

“Believe me, Major Kira, you would not want Republic ships rampaging through your Federation in your current state of technological development. It would take a fleet of your starships to bring down a Republic battle cruiser.” Severance Tan added, her glowing crimson eyes boring into Kira.

“I do believe that this might be a good time for a brief break. We’ve been at this now for over eight hours and I would hate there to be any kind of problems caused by frayed tempers.” Sisko announced as he cleared his throat.

“Agreed Captain, even warriors need refreshment after hours of friendly debate.” Tantos added with a slap on the table for emphasis as he rose up from the table. The others did so as well and filed out.

Sisko nodded to the others as he made his way out of the room. Jadzia slipped in beside him.

“Benjamin?”

“You don’t trust them.” Sisko replied with a soft smile as they walked through the corridor.

“No, frankly neither does Kira. They’re too good to be true, and damnit, didn’t Starfleet think before entering into an alliance with a power already at war. A rebel power mind you.”

“Starfleet did not have much of a say.” Sisko replied.

“What are you saying?” Jadzia snapped and pulled on Sisko’s shoulder, pulling him around.

Sisko looked at his old friend, not seeing the beautiful trill woman standing before him but the old Kerzon Dax, looking at him with that determined glint in his eyes. Once Kerzon got a hold of something, he did not let go. Sisko appreciated this trait in his friend, when it wasn’t directed at him.

“Old man, look, all I know is this. This Count Dooku came here himself and had several meetings with the diplomatic corps, then addressed the High Council itself in a closed session and next thing you know, an alliance is signed on Andor and we are now members of this alliance.”

“Ben, you know it too, don’t you? I know you, you’re playing good soldier but you’re not a fan of this alliance either.” Jadzia replied, eyeing him with concern.

“Dax, let’s face facts for just one moment. We’re Starfleet, we do as we’re told. Already, the medical technology they have supplied us, including this stuff called Bacta has saved millions of lives. They are willing to share more and we have a mandate from the Federation High Council to do what we can to help them. I might also add that it’s pretty obvious to me that our allies want to make sure we are ready and stand a chance against their enemies by refitting our ships free of charge with the latest in their weapons and defensive technology. It’s not like their sending us in unprepared waves to plug up their lines. This is a concerted effort to make this alliance work.”

“Then why do I get the same chill up my spine when I look at Severance Tan as I did when we dealt with Weyoun?”

Sisko and she exchanged a long look.

“I do too, Dax. But that does not change a single thing. We are Starfleet, we follow our orders, and they have done absolutely nothing to harm us. We have to wonder one thing.”

“What’s that?” she asked softly.

“Whether we’re actually responding out of fear against facing a truly galactic empire that can inflict heavy casualties on us and make us pay dearly.” Sisko replied.

Jadzia opened her mouth in shock.

“Think on it Old man before you respond. Are we really not just afraid of what lies ahead and project that on our allies? If we’re truly fair and reasonable, we have to think of all the possibilities and that troubles me. Because they’re fighting for freedom, the very freedom that the Federation is based on, the freedom to choose our own destinies, why are we not as enthusiastic about fighting this war? Maybe it’s because we can lose this war very badly and that troubles me, that we can walk away from our very ideals because of fear of losses and death.”

“I don’t think-” Jadzia’s voice trailed off and shook her head. “I taught you to do that didn’t I?” She added sheepishly.

“To look at a problem from all sides? Sure. It’s served me well and it obviously still is. Now I appreciate your caution, so I will tell you this.” Sisko leaned in closely. “Watch them. Closely.”

Jadzia smiled and nodded.

Sisko sighed softly as he put down his datapads and looked out the window in his quarters. Out there was a new frontier. One waiting to be explored and discovered, but it would prove very bloody. Many friends would die and perhaps even the Federation could face destruction. But there was that possibility, that they might win, that they would spread their influence and philosophy to another galaxy altogether.

He glanced down at the desk by the window at the few pictures collected there. His wife, Jake, they were smiling up at him, a comforting presence during times like these.

“You had a wife?”

Sisko whirled around reaching for a phaser that was not at his belt.

Tantos Dree stood quietly in the doorway, hands up displaying nothing in them.

“Please, Captain, please, there is nothing to fear, I mean you no harm.” Tantos said in his whisper.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Sisko snapped.

“We needed to talk.” Tantos replied walking in slowly, helmet off, backpack missing and no weapons in his holster but Sisko was willing to bet that the armor was its own walking arsenal.

“We just came out of an eight hour session of talking. Couldn’t you have said what you needed to then?”

“No.” Tantos replied evenly and stood stoically against the far wall, examining the apartment with a casual gaze.

“Say what you have to say, I have no idea how you got in here-”

“It was a simple matter for my armor to bypass the rudimentary magnetic locks, but that’s neither here nor there. I forgot about your wife until now, it is in your service file—”

“You know I am getting sick and tired of you mentioning our service files and I have never even gotten a peep at yours.” Sisko interjected angrily.

“But I guess it was my own personal feelings getting in the way.” Tantos continued through the interruption.

‘What?” Sisko’s eyes narrowed on the dangerous looking Mandalorian and saw a flash of something in his eyes.

“You were married?” He asked softly.

Tantos nodded.

“My wife was lost in a shuttle accident, killed instantly. I do not like to think of such things and is probably the reason why I forgot it. But in the end this only reaffirms what I think about you.”

“And what do you think of me?” Sisko asked.

Tantos smiled sadly and walked around to Sisko’s desk.

“You don’t trust us.” Tantos added as he examined the pictures on his desk.

“No, I don’t.”

“Why?” Tantos asked, hands pausing over a picture of Jake and he blinked, as if stung.

“Because I don’t understand why we’re trading one war for another.” Tantos did not reply. Sisko cleared his throat and continued. “You saved us from a war against the Dominion only to have us available to drag us into a war against this Republic. That doesn’t sound like a good decision.”

“No, you’re right. It does not. I on the other hand prefer to see it another way. We have come offering you technology beyond your dreams. Imagine power sources that would make your matter antimatter technology obsolete over night, medical technology allowing you to cure almost any disease and extend your lives, weapons technology that will allow you to destroy the Borg and insure the ascendancy of your government for ten generations.”

“Always have to cap things off with the weapons.”

“I’m a warrior, I do not hide this fact. I think of all matters through that lense. My people are dying, Benjamin Lafayette Sisko. We have warred against the Jedi for millennia and it has taken its toll. This war will either be the last war of the Mandalorians or it will be the new renaissance of my people as we end the tyranny of the republic.”

“But that’s really not why you’re fighting, is it?” Sisko asked as he stepped closer to Tantos.

Tantos glanced up at the human captain. I was so right about you. Tantos thought.

“You have a son.”

“Yes.”

“My wife was with child during the shuttle accident.”

“I am sorry.” Sisko replied and his eyes did not leave Tantos’

“The shuttle company knew that the repulsorlifts were failing on that model. But they bribed the senator of Brellia to overlook this fact. The repulsors failed and my wife was slain. My son…would never be a warrior.”

Sisko blinked. Tantos looked human now. Not the cold gruff warrior, but a father grieving for a lost wife and child. My god, did I look like that after Jennifer died?

“The corruption at the heart of the senate was always something I railed against. It was a trite thing to complain about when accusing the Republic. But after that accident, I now knew what corruption could do. People laugh, Sisko, they laugh at the political jokes regarding corrupt politicians, they wink at the fact that the beings they have elected to be their voice routinely ignore them and kill them through vice and betrayal. Their corruption is a stain on the soul of all free beings and after that day when I cradled the broken body of my wife, knowing that the son she carried had his light extinguished, I swore that I would bring down this Republic, I would fight for the freedom of those that wanted to be free of this stain.”

“This is personal.”

“Sisko, there is nothing more personal than revenge.”

They stood together silently for some time. Tantos finally sighed softly and sipped a datapad on Sisko’s desk and began to stride out.

“What is this?” Sisko asked.

Tantos turned his head and looked at Sisko. He smiled softly.

“That is the service record of all those in the briefing room with you including mine.”

Sisko nodded slowly holding the datapad.

“Tantos.”

He remained standing in the doorway.

“Maybe, just maybe, trust can begin between two people. People like you and I.”

“Indeed it can Benjamin Lafayette Sisko. As one friend to another, keep an eye on Severance Tan. The others are dedicated to the cause, but I have had the darkest suspicion that she is following her own agenda, and Dooku is in the dark about it. I’ve never trusted the Chiss and I wouldn’t if I were you as well.”

“That’s a hell of a thing to say about an ally.”

“Unless I found an ally I can trust implicitly, Sisko.” Tantos replied and walked out of the room as silent as a ghost.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Wow. I'm the first to comment, and I didn't get a chance to look through it for a long time.

Stravo, I don't know what Mr. Bean's talking about. I think that this fanfic is shaping out to be... well, I don't want to say better than SC this early, but it certainly has the potential to be.

Excellent work.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."