Death's Photography thread [19/5 Update - Africa]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Death's Photography thread [19/5 Update - Africa]

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I've finally decided to make a consolidated thread for my photography. I'll be posting a mix of new photography here, and some of my best older work (Which may or may not have popped up in the past in other threads).

I'm hoping for as much critique, reviews and comments as possible, so please, be free to tell me how much I suck, could do better, or that you want to buy my works. (Only 15$ each!).

The following batch is comprised of forty of my best "Starred" photographs. There's a story behind each and every one, that I'd be glad to tell upon request. (Only reason I'm not doing so in advance is that the nifty formatting tricks I did make it almost impossible to align text).

Close flower

Reflected mountain

Reflections

Reflected mountainscape

[imghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2036/2489046391_44c5fc794f.jpg[/img]
Petals from the tree

a quickr pickr post
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2008-05-19 12:29pm, edited 9 times in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

:shock:

Damn, just Damn man.
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Wow. That's really great.
Get some
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I don't know how you managed but I see pics stacked over other pics.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Man. You take some really good shots. I have no training or feel for photography, but I know I like looking at your pictures. I think you should pursue this.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

You have a real eye for composition, or at least a very good photo editor. Keep up the good work.

PS: What, no nudes?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:You have a real eye for composition, or at least a very good photo editor. Keep up the good work.
Please, I don't photoshop, I may crop and straighten slightly with Picasa, but my photos are 96% natural. (I do some "I'm feeling lucky" adjustments at most. Photoshopping just seems like a cheat to me).
Havokeff wrote:Man. You take some really good shots. I have no training or feel for photography, but I know I like looking at your pictures. I think you should pursue this.
I bow down to the artistic master ;). You inspired me to start up a complete thread, Y'know ;).
Bob the Gunslinger wrote: PS: What, no nudes?
Alass, the only nudes I have are the ones from the nude bathing beach near my house. And it's a beach in the eurotrip tradition, so unless you want pictures of very fat fishermen with a newspaper held aloft... :P .
Enigma wrote: I don't know how you managed but I see pics stacked over other pics.
Look at the code ;). (IMG=right).
Thanks everyone :).

And now, some new stuff.
I call this "set" "Skylines". It's my first experiment in a while with a common theme, and while it's not spectacular. (Again, a walk around the village), It was an attempt to try to follow some form of structure.

So, thoughts? Thanks for the comments anyone :).
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2008-05-16 05:32pm, edited 5 times in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Nice photos.

However next time, please avoid using the left/right tags. It may make it look better for you, but when I don't have room on my screen for two pictures beside each other, it places the second picture on its own line, but aligned to the right because of the tag.

I'm also getting pictures with a large gap between them because the two pics don't have sufficient combined width to fill the my screen.

If you want pictures on the same line, just stick them on the same line without tags. This should make it look better for people using different resolutions.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote:Nice photos.

However next time, please avoid using the left/right tags. It may make it look better for you, but when I don't have room on my screen for two pictures beside each other, it places the second picture on its own line, but aligned to the right because of the tag.

I'm also getting pictures with a large gap between them because the two pics don't have sufficient combined width to fill the my screen.

If you want pictures on the same line, just stick them on the same line without tags. This should make it look better for people using different resolutions.
I'm actually using a 13 (Or 15, not sure) laptop, and the second photo being side by side is intentional, it means less scrolling down, and looks better.
Still, since you were nice enough to comment, I'll go with the tried and tested method of a long line of photos. (I just wnated to spice it up, after getting complaints in the past about long boring lines).
Photography
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Most of the skyline pictures are good, but in this single set, they're quite repetetive. Most of the clouds are in a common shape, so you get the feeling "same clouds, slightly differant foreground object"
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You can make a career out of this, DAETH! This is most un-LAEM! :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Ace Pace wrote:Most of the skyline pictures are good, but in this single set, they're quite repetitive. Most of the clouds are in a common shape, so you get the feeling "same clouds, slightly different foreground object"
Well, that is the problem with a single "theme" ;).

Now for something pretty old, a walk around the ancient city of Ako (Also known as "Napoleon stopped around here"). (This is from 2006 or so, so forgive the weaker technique despite the wonderful area).

The walls of Ako
No, this shot is not a panorama, it's le naturale ;).

Flying Boy
Flying Boy jumping off away

I love the style of this shot, even if the detail/IQ is naff.
There were a half dozen kids jumping off the wall of the old fortifications. It was a ~20 meter drop with a thick slab of rock under the wall, so unless they had some momentum behind them the land would result in their feet coming out of their mouth.

Ako Market
The market, with one of the 2 best "Hummus" restaurants in Israel located here :).

Ako's mosque
I love the old style grainyness of this shot :).

I was told to practice some photojournalism, and shot the kids and these three old men sitting, chatting, eating and smoking on the waterfront. I couldn't capture one of those awesome "smoke ring" shots though :(.

Mid-jump
Freeze! Camera time!

The area where the old men and jumping kids were. (The kids were further along the wall, higher up).

Birds off
Birds taking away for a snack in the water and breadcrumbs.

Two brothers.

I love how this shout could be 20 years old and wouldn't be an iota out of place :). It just feels unchanging. (If rather lacking in energy/chemistry I'm afraid).
Streets of Ako
The winding streets, with narry a soul wandering in the heat of the early summer day.

So, the format is conducive, which means I'd like some reviews or critique. (Although flattery is also good, especially if you have any suggestions ;)).
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Needs more chicks!
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote:Needs more chicks!
We can't all be rugged supermodels who have all the girls on the beach asking him to take pictures of them in their new bikini! (Well, neither are you at least).

And now, some even older stuff: Monkey shines! (Pictures from a monkey Zoo).
(I LOVE the fine detail and hairs on some of these shots. Even if you can't see them on these low quality versions ;)).

Baby monkey gaze
Wide eyed little bugger. So CUTE :).

Black Ape face
These two (Above) were in the same cage on the same wooden stick.

Monkey family
Baby and me

The hugging Black monkey

Forward for Monkey and son!

Baby and me
Baby

Wistful monkey stare
Monkey stare?

Toothpick

Monkey bored

In the bird jar

a quickr pickr post
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

No comments on the adorable monkeys? You guys suck :P.
Now for some stuff that's almost as old, one of our first trips to Turkey, sailing the oceans fair...

Turkish fort

Sunset off the port ridge

Old school turkey
Upmast
The Bow

darkening water

Green on water
Opening water
Going up?

Illuminated night fort

So, comments? Some pictures here were taken with a compact, so forgive the lower IQ. (The night shot for example. Steadying a camera on a tipping boat for ~2 seconds is surprisingly hard to do by hand :P)
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

New England

And in the summer of 2007, New England (Not in the autumn though, I didn't know how to use a camera back then).
Most of the best stuff had family members in it, but some nifty stuff is left, from the shores and hikes :). (And please, comment, critique, anything?).

This one is Niiice. (Best seen in large).
Dive! Diiiiive!

Hit your afterburners pilot! :).
The train that once went up to Mt Washington. We took a car, better scenic route.

Sisters

Family
Burka-Face :).

Tree of glow. (Natural, no editing)

Sepia edited. (I prefer how the one from Turkey came out via editing).
The Inn we stayed in in New England. We cycled everywhere from it :).

Now that you've seen all that, here's a little secret. (Just about) Every single picture was taken with a poncy little 3 year old compact camera :D. Does it show? ;).
Photography
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Did you venture outside New Hampshire while you were in the Northeast?
Now that you've seen all that, here's a little secret. (Just about) Every single picture was taken with a poncy little 3 year old compact camera. Does it show?.
Another little secret is that more often than not, its the photographer rather than the equipment that counts. It's quite possible to take good pictures with a compact if you avoid or can work around the limits of the instrument. The benefit of more advanced cameras is merely that fewer limits are imposed on the user.

You too have too many photos to possibly comment on all of them individually, so I will only pick out the few I think are best. You've improved since your older pictures so I won't say anything about them, besides which it wouldn't exactly be fair as my home turf is located in New England so I am somewhat jaded when it comes to people from away and the things they take pictures of.

The photo of the ice looks good, though you might want to look at cropping it a bit - the sea ice in the foreground becomes a bit redundant, while the bit of rock outcrop on the left tends to draw the eye out of the frame. Try a crop from the left that covers just the width of that rock, and then up from the bottom to bring it somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:4. That will tidy the image up, though it won't address its main weakness, which I will get to as a general comment.

The one of people climbing up the slot canyon is another potentially good one, though it suffers from the blown sky at the top of the canyon. Cropping all but the bottom of that works but makes the canyon walls seem shorter, so the best solution might have been a composite exposure. If you had taken a second shot metered for the sky, and then carefully Photoshopped that sky in, it might have fixed it. Also, as a matter of perspective, a wider-angle lens would have let you stand closer to the hikers at bottom right without reducing your view of the canyon, which points toward the general comment once again.

A note: Using Photoshop sounds like a dirty trick, but photographers have been compositing, dodging, burning, pushing, and cross-processing before us whippersnappers with digital cameras and computers ever existed. Most photographs could stand a at least a little post-processing; it's the chumps who go nuts with filters, vignetting, oversaturation (or desaturation), and OMG TRUE HDR who give Photoshop a bad name. If you don't have Photoshop, dig out Gimp or Paint.net and see how subtly you can use it. It will come in handy, and it's not really cheating - a bad photo is a bad photo, but an almost-good photo could become a keeper if you post-process intelligently.

The one of the three rock spires would probably have been better in portrait format. As it stands now, half of the photo is dead space, and you miss out on the built-in rule of thirds. The topography itself is good, but the photo is compositionally quite weak.

The photo of the squadron of seagulls lifting off is probably one of the stronger 'scene' photos here, in that you have a scene but also something in the foreground for the eye to track in on. But more about that later.

The two guys fishing - you probably didn't mean to cut off the taller one's feet, right? It's usually a good idea to include the ends of extremities in the frame if most of the extremity is already in (this goes for arms, legs, head).

Best monkey shot is the one with the adult and juvenile on the tree branch, except for the blown sky and missing tail tip. It also looks like you've got a bit of blue on the edge of the branch in the upper right, probably because of the difference in brightness between the light and shaded areas. I don't know what you could have done to prevent that at the time; sometimes it is unavoidable.

"Old School Turkey" would have been better had the Zodiac been closer to the camera and to the center of the frame; as it is, there's a lot of dead space and background without foreground.

Now for the general comments, of which there are two. 1.) When shooting a single obvious subject - a flower (or few), a bird, an airplane, a person, etc. - do all you can to fill the frame with that subject. Get as close as your lens permits, or crop tightly if you can't get close, but that subject should absolutely dominate the image. Unless the background provides some context - as a workbench in a photo of a carpenter might - it should be minimized, as it is dead space that isolates the subject from the viewer. If some background is necessary for context, you should still direct the viewer's attention to the subject of your photo via framing, lighting, and depth of field.

2.) When shooting a scene, rather than a subject, be mindful of where the viewer's eyes will be directed when he looks at your photo. You aren't just presenting a flat image - "Here is this mountain; isn't it majestic" - "Behold this tree" - "Lo! How a rose e'er blooming" :wink: - but a compressed representation of three-dimensional space. Instead of giving the viewer something to look at, give him something to look into. This requires that you have a foreground, a middle ground, and a background even in a landscape. And while you are thinking about where the viewer's eye will go, try to compose the shot so that it is naturally led toward the most important part of the photo (this goes for subject-oriented photos as well). For this, study up on leading lines and broaden your compositional horizons.

You've improved, but you've still a ways to go. I'd say you're edging into garden catalogue and desktop background territory, with the occasional glimmer of further progress.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Simplicius wrote:Did you venture outside New Hampshire while you were in the Northeast?
Oh yesss, We were in New York and another state in New England as well. (can't remember which one). How did you recognize the area, by the beach town, the inn or Mt Washington?
Now that you've seen all that, here's a little secret. (Just about) Every single picture was taken with a poncy little 3 year old compact camera. Does it show?.
Another little secret is that more often than not, its the photographer rather than the equipment that counts. It's quite possible to take good pictures with a compact if you avoid or can work around the limits of the instrument. The benefit of more advanced cameras is merely that fewer limits are imposed on the user.
The equipment does matter in IQ up to a point, beyond which returns are marginal. I can very easily see the difference between a picture on an old DSLR and my compact, I've seen pictures (blown up portraits with hairs) that looked better simply due to the large sensor.
Still, yes young photographers, as long as you use a DSLR then the difference between brands is small for taking snapshots. I like my compact as well, 5MP, and a nice Leika lense. (Panasonic TZ1-K).
You too have too many photos to possibly comment on all of them individually, so I will only pick out the few I think are best.
Well, this is just the first of a few. Thanks for commenting :D. (I'll be updating a lot, why not subscribe like I do? ;) [Arrogant laugh, bwahahaha]
You've improved since your older pictures so I won't say anything about them, besides which it wouldn't exactly be fair as my home turf is located in New England so I am somewhat jaded when it comes to people from away and the things they take pictures of.
You're talking only about the first batch of starred photos then? (sorry, but "picture of Ice is a bit confusing ;)). Thanks for the improvement compliment, how would you say that it's visible? I thought that most of my stuff from abroad is much better, even if it is with a compact and no time to frame shot shot (whilst hiking/cycling/touring).
The one of people climbing up the slot canyon is another potentially good one, though it suffers from the blown sky at the top of the canyon.

If you had taken a second shot metered for the sky, and then carefully Photoshopped that sky in, it might have fixed it.
Also, as a matter of perspective, a wider-angle lens would have let you stand closer to the hikers at bottom right without reducing your view of the canyon, which points toward the general comment once again.
I think I tried that then... Bloody filtering of photos, I deleted that second shot... (All taken with a compact. Yay +-1 Exposure!)
A note: Using Photoshop sounds like a dirty trick, but photographers have been compositing, dodging, burning, pushing, and cross-processing before us whippersnappers with digital cameras and computers ever existed. Most photographs could stand a at least a little post-processing; It will come in handy, and it's not really cheating - a bad photo is a bad photo, but an almost-good photo could become a keeper if you post-process intelligently.
Now you tell me this, after I chose to enroll (10 minutes ago) in a photography course course that doesn't have photoshop. (But it does have excursions, which should be more fun. Comprehensive, academic credentials and teaching is for the proffessionals and non army people ;)).
The one of the three rock spires would probably have been better in portrait format. As it stands now, half of the photo is dead space, and you miss out on the built-in rule of thirds. The topography itself is good, but the photo is compositionally quite weak.
The Torres del Paine from Chile? I have a portrait style one of that that also includes the ice lake, I'll dig it up when I upload a larger batch from Chile. (It was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen, but horribly hard to capture, especially with a compact. I'd left my dad's DSLr in the wrong suitcase before the flight to the most beautiful trip of my life. Good thing I had a back up camera in my backpack)
The two guys fishing - you probably didn't mean to cut off the taller one's feet, right? It's usually a good idea to include the ends of extremities in the frame if most of the extremity is already in (this goes for arms, legs, head).
I was young, bad at composition and the E-300 has a tiny, crappy viewfinder. It was a fuckup, not intentional.
"Old School Turkey" would have been better had the Zodiac been closer to the camera and to the center of the frame; as it is, there's a lot of dead space and background without foreground.
You recognized the craft? Wow, I AM impressed :D. (As for the picture - duly noted, my bad for not having the telephoto lense with me).

I'll take your general comments to heart, that's some excellent, original advice. (Bloody useless fluffy online guides and books).
You've improved, but you've still a ways to go. I'd say you're edging into garden catalogue and desktop background territory, with the occasional glimmer of further progress.
Please, I am in desktop background territory, give me that much ;). (If not garden catalogue level :P).
Thanks a lot for commenting, you're setting an excellent example. :P
Photography
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Mt. Washington was what gave the game away; I'm from Maine so I don't know NH intimately enough to be able to pick out a beach or an inn.
The equipment does matter in IQ up to a point, beyond which returns are marginal. I can very easily see the difference between a picture on an old DSLR and my compact, I've seen pictures (blown up portraits with hairs) that looked better simply due to the large sensor.
There's also the fact that a small-diameter lens introduces a lot of distortion because it has to be thick, or that automatic compacts don't always make the right decision when it comes to auto-exposure and auto-focus. But as always, good men with poor ships are better than poor men with good ships... So much of the photographic process happens not in the camera but in the mind of the photographer that the technical capabilities of a camera really are secondary. A skilled photographer will make his equipment work for him rather than the other way around, and the overall result will be superior to an unskilled photographer shooting crisp, detailed snapshots of his cat and his potted geraniums.
You're talking only about the first batch of starred photos then? (sorry, but "picture of Ice is a bit confusing). Thanks for the improvement compliment, how would you say that it's visible? I thought that most of my stuff from abroad is much better, even if it is with a compact and no time to frame shot shot (whilst hiking/cycling/touring).
There was no title for the ice photo - it was in the set of starred photos, 2489019403 if that helps any.

Well, comparing some of your previous threads - the flowers, and the burnt-out village one, for instance - you've got a generally higher ratio of respectable photographs than, say, the New England component of this thread. As for this thread, it didn't seem like it was in a clear chronology so it would be hard to gauge progress. It could just be circumstantial, but I wouldn't be surprised if your compositional eye is improving with practice.

One reason why you might find the stuff you took abroad to be better is because the actual content of the photo is more interesting to you. It's as with my airshow photos, which are very mundane as photos go but are still interesting for someone who likes to look at aircraft.
Now you tell me this, after I chose to enroll (10 minutes ago) in a photography course course that doesn't have photoshop. (But it does have excursions, which should be more fun. Comprehensive, academic credentials and teaching is for the proffessionals and non army people).
You'll still benefit from a straight-up photography course; it will just take that much longer to put the tools of post-processing in your toolbox. I have yet to dip into that world myself; the most sophisticated trick I know is that you can bump the saturation without uglifying the image by pasting into a new layer, oversaturating that layer, and then making it semi-transparent. It will be quite a while before I can make best use of image editing programs.

As an aside, most photography schools will have a whole slate of classes on Photoshop as it pertains to different types of photography. Hell, if you have money to burn when you're out of the army, go check out the Maine Media Workshops. They run summer courses and apparently have got a world-wide reputation; I've worked there and have seen all manner of people come and go.
You recognized the craft? Wow, I AM impressed. (As for the picture - duly noted, my bad for not having the telephoto lense with me).
I have to admit, my comment was almost suppressed by my distaste at combining the concepts of "Zodiac" and "prominent."

It's not always a matter of a particular lens; positioning plays a role too. A telephoto from that same place might have narrowed your field of view such that only the inflatable or the cliff could be framed at once, which would have undone the shot altogether.
I'll be updating a lot
One thing you might want to consider is that this thread will load more slowly the more photos you put into it, which puts your most recently added material at the very end of the load time. This is kind of an inconvenience for someone who would check the thread only to see what's been added or what comments have been made.
Please, I am in desktop background territory, give me that much.
Sure, sunsets and mountain ranges practically make themselves into desktop backgrounds - but even desktop backgrounds benefit from strong composition, even if they tend to be flat as images go. I say edging because you're pretty good with the sunsets, but the mountain ranges could use a little work. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

simplicus wrote:Maine Media Workshops. They run summer courses and apparently have got a world-wide reputation;
It seems...interesting. A bit far away, though, and I'll be in the army until winter-spring. You have given me an idea though, I'll need to remember to try to find something similiar in the UK. :).
Simplicus wrote:
There was no title for the ice photo - it was in the set of starred photos, 2489019403 if that helps any.
Found it, the one with melting ice and the mountain range in the background.
simplicus wrote: I have to admit, my comment was almost suppressed by my distaste at combining the concepts of "Zodiac" and "prominent."
They're not THAT bad. (Albeit, I've never been in one for more than 1 minute or two :P).
One thing you might want to consider is that this thread will load more slowly the more photos you put into it, which puts your most recently added material at the very end of the load time. This is kind of an inconvenience for someone who would check the thread only to see what's been added or what comments have been made.
I realize that, but I don't know how to get around that with the board's lack of advanced options for that.
Maybe disabling bbcode would help, but would other users be able to enable it per post? Don't think so, it would require quoting and that's a bloody bother. (And it's not as though many people have seen the thread.
A pity that I can't get the thread to show only a limited amount of posts per page either. :? .
simplicus wrote: Sure, sunsets and mountain ranges practically make themselves into desktop backgrounds - but even desktop backgrounds benefit from strong composition, even if they tend to be flat as images go. I say edging because you're pretty good with the sunsets, but the mountain ranges could use a little work.
Even the ones with a whole reflected mountain range :?: . Never saw it that way, interesting to hear that perspective.
Photography
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

They're not THAT bad. (Albeit, I've never been in one for more than 1 minute or two).
I'm a wooden boat person. Rubber, plastic, and fiberglass are all anathema to me.
I realize that, but I don't know how to get around that with the board's lack of advanced options for that.
I was merely thinking that a "DEATH's Photography: Part the Second" would be advisable before this thread bogged down under its own weight, which would happen as you continue to update.
Even the ones with a whole reflected mountain range?
They're pretty and all, but they tend to look the same after a while when it's just the mountains splashed up there and nothing between them and the viewer. It gets back to the whole depth thing - it's not such a problem for sunsets because not only is the foreground made strongly flat by being silhouetted, but the color draws the viewer's attention away from what would be the foreground anyway. There are good sunsets and bad sunsets, of course, but they don't require a scene to be made to nearly the same extent a photo of a mountain that is fully-lit does. There, the elements of depth and leading all come into play, even if it's just for a desktop.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Simplicius wrote:
They're not THAT bad. (Albeit, I've never been in one for more than 1 minute or two).
I'm a wooden boat person. Rubber, plastic, and fiberglass are all anathema to me.
I was merely thinking that a "DEATH's Photography: Part the Second" would be advisable before this thread bogged down under its own weight, which would happen as you continue to update.
I was hoping to go through pages quickly due to comments (As in Havokeff, Muffinking's cases), and it loses the point of a single thread that would generate maximum ease of update checking, and reference. (To prevent double posting stuff, with each one in it sown thread as was the case up till now).
Still, if it's my ego vs the convenience of anyone willing to take a look, then how could I ever betray my loyal fans ;).
I'll upload one more batch to here (, before making a new thread.
Even the ones with a whole reflected mountain range?
They're pretty and all, but they tend to look the same after a while when it's just the mountains splashed up there and nothing between them and the viewer. It gets back to the whole depth thing - it's not such a problem for sunsets because not only is the foreground made strongly flat by being silhouetted, but the color draws the viewer's attention away from what would be the foreground anyway. There are good sunsets and bad sunsets, of course, but they don't require a scene to be made to nearly the same extent a photo of a mountain that is fully-lit does. There, the elements of depth and leading all come into play, even if it's just for a desktop.
Interesting, I never thought about depth.
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Last one for this set. A trip to Africa without much skill, without a spare memory card, and no zoom lense. Still some nice stuff, if mediocre. (It's ooold. From 2005 as I recall).
Photography
The Wench
Youngling

Post by The Wench »

Wow. Those are some fantastic photos! (no sarcasm!) That image from the Inn in New England with the sun setting behind it, just a little pinkish red agains the clouds, is really beautiful.

It seems a lot of personality comes out in these photos...the ducks with their heads underwater, certain angles not everyone would consider, those are things that are nice to see. The image of the fort at night is also very nice. Catching people in action is always fun to see, but even better when it appears they're in thought about something the viewer ends up contemplating while looking at the photo. Very nice!

Though - if you don't mind me saying - I thought the Lion in close proximity to the truck was far more interesting than giraffes and cheetahs doing their regular thing. I think that contrast of domestication (man and his truck) invading the wild and the two appearing very content with each other, even for a moment, was really though provoking. That could potentially have an underlying statement to make about man and nature...if you wanted to put that thought out there...
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The Photofest continues HERE
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 90#2784290

I'm taking S's advice.

Wench? Thanks :D.
Photography