Original Song vs. Cover

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Da ya think I'm sexy by the Revolting Cocks is far superior to the original Rod Stewart version. But Paris Hilton's rendition of the classic song made my ears bleed.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Johonebesus wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: The Sound Of Silence by Nevermore - Simon & Garfunkel
That was horrible. They weren't even singing.
THAT'S hardly on-base. He was most definitely singing, in a very operatic style no less. Even as a euphemism for "his singing is dissonant/incomprehensible", the statement holds no water.
How in the world can think that was better than Simon & Garfunkel's original?
By default, because it's really impossible to do worse than that cliched twiddly little hippie tune with saccharine vocals.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I don't know that song is always associated with a young Dustin Hoffman going after MILFs in my mind....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Johonebesus wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote: The Sound Of Silence by Nevermore - Simon & Garfunkel
That was horrible. They weren't even singing.
THAT'S hardly on-base. He was most definitely singing, in a very operatic style no less. Even as a euphemism for "his singing is dissonant/incomprehensible", the statement holds no water.
Have you ever heard an opera? I'm just curious? Because the resemblance between that and opera ends at "pitched sound emitted by human vocal cords."
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Terralthra wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Johonebesus wrote: That was horrible. They weren't even singing.
Have you ever heard an opera? I'm just curious? Because the resemblance between that and opera ends at "pitched sound emitted by human vocal cords."
Several. No, it's not a traditional tone for a baritone to take, but the emphasis and force behind it is analogous to a more traditional baritone. Either way, it's daft beyond words to suggest that it "wasn't even singing".
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Tom Sawyer - Rush

Tom Sawyer - Mindless Self Indulgence

Honestly, I love both, but like MSI's better, it's just far more frantic.

I Touch Myself - The Devinyls

I Touch Myself - The Genitorturers

Genitorturers flat out win this one for me. The Devinyl's version was... tolerable. But the Genitorturers, well, they're just plain audio-sex.

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Don't Fear The Reaper - Unto Ashes

This one I'm genuinely split on. BOC has that delightful subdued rock going for the original. But Unto Ashes has turned it into a simply beautiful dirge, which fits so well with the lyrics.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:
Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Don't Fear The Reaper - Unto Ashes

This one I'm genuinely split on. BOC has that delightful subdued rock going for the original. But Unto Ashes has turned it into a simply beautiful dirge, which fits so well with the lyrics.
I didn't exactly like the cover version but I do like the direction they were trying to go with the song. It certainly starts off well enough.

Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit Nirvana Smells like teen spirit (live from The word) 1991

Tori Amos Smells Like Teen Spirit

I really like Tori Amos voice but I'm not always into her performance style.

Patti Smith Smells Like Teen Spirit

Just the song with no video: Patti Smith.

Patti Smith can be kind of an aquired taste.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear

oh and the one good version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MgubwywhiU

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Twoyboy wrote:Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins

An awesome cover I find interesting because I've never heard the original. I heard the Dixie Chicks version and I think they robbed it of the personal nature Billy Corgan gave it.
You're kidding, right? The Smashing Pumpkins cover is a horrible piece of shit. Billy Corrigan's nasal whining is always bad, but on this song, it sounds like he's actually making fun of Stevie Nicks. No joke; I use the exact same voice when I'm mocking a song I hate. And as for that "personal nature": Fleetwood Mac gave the song a personal nature. The Smashing Pumpkins just made a derivative copy, like a dive bar cover band. Do yourself a favor and listen to the original. It's hardly the best song ever, but it absolutely blows away Billy Corrigan's shitty cover.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The original version of Crossroads as performed by Robert Johnson, clean straight Delta Blues.

The Cowboy Junkies version of Crossroads, which I think is way better. To me it's a lot more intense and emotional.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Yosemite Bear

what about Ry Cooder's version of crossroads?

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Or, for that matter, Cream's?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix

R U Experienced by Devo

I like them both, but being a giant Devo fanboy I have to say I like their version better.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Speaking of which, Coroner added some serious technified Swiss thrash kick to Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Sadly the versions on YouTube are all shit but The Herd's I Was Only 19 is better than the original.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear a decent version of The Clash's I Fought The Law (itself a cover, but meh).
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

A Nazi-fied version of an American folk song "Farewell my Blue Bell." Much more powerful, though I do like the other version as well.

The Battle of the Bulge version of the Panzer Lied. Again, this version is much more powerful.

Liszt's transcription of Bellini's opera Norma. Broken into 2 parts:

An excerpt (my favorite part)
Part 1
Part 2

Too bad though, because there was a mind-blowing performance done by Dmitris Sgouros which was pulled off of YouTube for some unknown reason. If you watch Hamelin's version (especially Part 2) you will aprreciate how much more impressive the Sgouros performance was since it ended up being 2 minutes shorter than this one. :shock:
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.