lyric refrences that puzzle you

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

lyric refrences that puzzle you

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Creedance Clearwater Revival: Choolin (yes they have the phrase in several songs, including "Keep on Choolin", "Born on the Bayou", "Proud Mary", etc.)

Deep Purple, Guns And Roses: Rocket Girl/Rocket Queen, ("Knocking on your Back door", "My Woman From Toyko", "Rocket Girl") Well aside from hte context that she's apparently quite energetic in bed...

Leadbelly, Bob Marley, various Irish Folk songs, The Cops Theme song: Sheriff John Brown (either there's a bunch of mean nasty cops named "John Brown" over the centuries or this has some other meaning)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

"Knocking on your back door" also makes me think of the Led Zepplin lyric, "I wanna be your back door man".

I think at the time it meant someone who was sneaking in the back door of a house for some illicit loving and had nothing to do with anal sex, which can kind of be implied these days.

Zep's "Bustle in your hedge row" --- WTF?

Steve Miller - "Some people call me Maurice Cause' I speak of the pompitous of love"
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The Yosemite Bear

yes, back door man, is a blues tune from way back, and it refers to the guy that delivers sweet lovin to the bored house wife. Entering the house through the back door. it's also in a doors cover of the Howlin Wolf version.

"if there's a bustle in your hedge row don't be alarmed ma'am it's just a spring clean for the May Queen"
Translation: if you find a package in your garden it's just the fairies getting rid of shit.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Tsyroc wrote: Zep's "Bustle in your hedge row" --- WTF?
That whole song is subject to a wide variety of interpretations, but I always took it as an admonition to "not distress yourself with imaginings." The speaker is saying that if someone seems malicious (bustling in your hedgerow,) don't become paranoid and distrusting, because it could be innocuous or even helpful (don't be alarmed now, it's just a spring clean for a May Queen.)
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Re: lyric refrences that puzzle you

Post by Darth Ruinus »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Deep Purple, Guns And Roses: Rocket Girl/Rocket Queen, ("Knocking on your Back door", "My Woman From Toyko", "Rocket Girl")
Isnt the song called Rocket Queen? Unless that Deep Purple band has a song called Rocket Girl?
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
The Yosemite Bear

Ok your right. let me try and google it now....