Joint Service Open House 2008 (56k Hazard)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Joint Service Open House 2008 (56k Hazard)

Post by Simplicius »

Yesterday I went down to the big airshow at Andrews AFB and got myself very badly sunburnt but came back with a lot of photos. These are mostly snapshotty crap, which is why I have a digital camera, but I also took a lot of slides and if I am lucky they will come out well.

This is really heavily pared down from all the photos I took - I left out a lot of the static displays and the armor, plus some of the aerial stuff as well. If anyone has something they'd especially like to see, or a request for higher resolution, they can look at the thumbnails here and make a request.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

For fans of the RAF or Army Air Force who have 4:3 monitors, I have these images in 1600x1200 if you want to use them as desktop backgrounds. Sorry, wide-screen users, but a wide-screen crop was not possible. Sorry also, fans of the VVS, but a background crop from these photos of the Yakovlev is impossible. If there is more likely material among my slides, and I can scan them, I will see what I can do.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

What's that C-130 with the weird nose? A SIGINT/ELINT variant?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Have to ask Wicked Pilot or one of the more knowledgeable HAB guys to be sure, but I think that's an MC-130H.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm surprised your camera didn't break in fear taking the picture of the A-10's gun. :wink:

I LOVE the F-4! Awesome pics of that.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I love the picture of the huge transport plane and the tiny biplane.

The F-35 is kinda dorky-looking. The F-22 pictures are awesome though, especially the one where it's just off the runway. I never realized how oversized those vertical tail fins looked.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Has anyone noticed that the F-22 bears some resemblance to a flying saucer when seen from the side with its landing gear retracted?

Other wise awesome pics
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

BTW, can I request the full-size pic of the f-22, f-4, f-15, and p-51 flying in formation?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Hawkwings wrote:BTW, can I request the full-size pic of the f-22, f-4, f-15, and p-51 flying in formation?
Linkedso as not to break formatting.

Sorry if the detail isn't as crisp as it could be - that's the best my little 4x zoom can do.
I never realized how oversized those vertical tail fins looked.
Apparently they were even larger on the YF-22, which threw off the proportions of the plane even more.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Beautiful shots of the F-22. :)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Fucking AWESOME. (If a bit too many pictures to comment one ;)). :D .
Is The JSOH is different from the Joint operations, or the JSO show that was for military or diplomatic visitors? (Blasted lack of picture taking by visitors :P).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

They didn't let any of the public approach the F-22s close did they? I was at a smaller airshow in Pittsburgh recently, and except for curious kids and their parents, no one was allowed. So all the pictures I had were from a distance. :?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

DEATH wrote:Is The JSOH is different from the Joint operations, or the JSO show that was for military or diplomatic visitors? (Blasted lack of picture taking by visitors).
I don't know anything about a JSO show. The first day of this show, the 16th, was only open to DoD personnel and school groups, but I'm pretty sure the content was the same. This was a straight-up entertainment affair as far as I could tell.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:They didn't let any of the public approach the F-22s close did they? I was at a smaller airshow in Pittsburgh recently, and except for curious kids and their parents, no one was allowed. So all the pictures I had were from a distance.
A flightline will be closed as long as there are aircraft operating, for reasons of safety. Since the F-22 was a part of the flying show rather than on static display, there was absolutely no chance of a walkaround in any case - although they did bring a few VIPs out to photo-op and talk to the pilots; I saw Secretary Gates there but only recognized him after the fact.

That said, they kept the Raptors much closer than most of the other military aircraft that flew that day, because they were on display. They were maybe 100 or 200 feet from the fence, which isn't much considering that all the other flying military aircraft except the Blue Angels' were way at the far end of the runway, maybe a thousand feet or more from the airshow area.

The F-35 was roped off too, but only to a few feet as you can see. And the E-3 Sentry, which was also roped off and had a notice that anyone crossing the line could be shot, was still accessible to within a few feet where parts of the airplane came close to the barrier. So if the F-22 had been on static display I'd wager it would have been relatively accessible, if not 'walk up and touch' or full 360-degrees walkaround depending on where they parked it.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I was a crew chief on 165(the C-17) for a while.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Have to ask Wicked Pilot or one of the more knowledgeable HAB guys to be sure, but I think that's an MC-130H.
You're right, just looked at the picture of the MC-130 in the Wiki entry on it, and it looks like the pic of Simplicius posted.