Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

Post by Crazedwraith »

TheBBC"]

A car dealership in the United States is offering a free handgun with every vehicle sold.

Max Motors in Butler, Missouri, says sales have quadrupled since the start of the offer.

Customers can choose between a gun or a $250 (£125) gas card, but most so far have chosen the gun.

Owner Mark Muller said: "We're just damn glad to live in a free country where you can have a gun if you want to."

The dealership sells new and old vehicles, including General Motors and Ford cars and trucks, and its logo shows a cowboy holding a pistol.

It has sold more than 30 cars and trucks in the past three days, an increase which the owners put down to their promotional offer.

Inspiration from Obama

Mr Muller said that every buyer so far "except one guy from Canada and one old guy" chose the gun, rather than the gas card.

He recommends a Kel-Tec .380 pistol, which he describes as "a nice little handgun that fits in your pocket".

He added that the promotion was inspired by recent comments from one of the Democratic nominees for the presidential election, saying: "We did it because of Barack Obama.

"He said all those people in the Midwest, you've got to have compassion for them because they're clinging to their guns and their Bibles. I found that quite offensive. We all go to church on Sunday and we all carry guns."

The website advertisement for the offer, which continues until the end of the month, mentions that an approved background check on gun ownership is required.
So you're objecting to him... By proving him right? Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period for guns as well? Or do they get around that by it being a gift.[/quote]
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

So you're objecting to him... By proving him right? Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period for guns as well? Or do they get around that by it being a gift.
On the surface, Obama's statement can be taken as offensive as it implies they're being unreasonable in 'clinging' to guns and religion.
Of course, context is everything and the quote was merely a poorly phrased way of explaining why many voters vote against their economic self interest by backing conservatives.

As far as a waiting period goes, unless Missouri state law requires one, all that's needed under Federal law is the NICS 'instant check' the dealer runs when transferring the gun.

Unless Max Motors holds a FFL (a gun dealer's license), what they're doing is sending customers to a gun dealer who'll complete the paperwork, run the NICS check, and be the one who actually transfers the gun to the customer.

If Max Motors directly gave guns to new vehicle purchasers, it'd be dealing in firearms without a license and that's a felony.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

In America it is indeed "offensive" to speak out against either guns or religion as being unreasonable in a presidential election... sadly.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Re: Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

Post by gizmojumpjet »

Crazedwraith wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period for guns as well? Or do they get around that by it being a gift.
Waiting periods vary by state. In Texas, there's no waiting period. I could go buy a gun over lunch if I wanted to. In any event, it's not like you get the car and the gun is already sitting in the glove box. I'm reasonably certain they give you a coupon that can be redeemed at a local licensed firearms dealer who will run the background check and then give you the gun.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Stas Bush wrote:In America it is indeed "offensive" to speak out against either guns or religion as being unreasonable in a presidential election... sadly.
It's either 'offensive' or politically suicidal to do so since a majority of the populace is either religious, gun-owning. or both.

Running on a platform of gun bans and disparaging religion might win votes in some areas on either coast, but it's a sure loser in the rest of the country.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
MichaelFerrariF1
Youngling

Post by MichaelFerrariF1 »

From what I heard, it's just a voucher. You still have to go to Academy, get checked out, pass the test, or whatever the local law is.
You need a Ferrari, no, two Ferraris powersliding around a Bentley...that's also powersliding. - Jeremy Clarkson
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Given a choice between a Kel-Tec and a gas card, I'd take the gas card.

Of course, given the choice between a Kel-Tec and a sandwich, I'd prefer the sandwich.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

MichaelFerrariF1 wrote:From what I heard, it's just a voucher. You still have to go to Academy, get checked out, pass the test, or whatever the local law is.
Federal law is a baseline law.
IOW, no matter what the law is in your state, it's illegal to violate federal law WRT guns.
Unless MO has more strict laws, all a customer has to do is pass the NICS criminal records check.

That said, I've read in other articles that Max Motors gives you a coupon to take to a local FFL to get your gun.
That's perfectly legal, as you still have to pass the NICS check and applicable state laws before you get the gun.

Honestly, it's not much different than if they offered a '$250 cash rebate' on all car models.
Such 'rebate' of course being padded in on the purchase price of the car.
It's a marketing gimmick peddled for those who are dumb enough to believe they can get something for nothing.

Oderint dum metuant
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Kanastrous wrote:Given a choice between a Kel-Tec and a gas card, I'd take the gas card.

Of course, given the choice between a Kel-Tec and a sandwich, I'd prefer the sandwich.
I have a Kel-Tec... in fact I have the .380 that they refer to in the article. But I would still choose the gas card. I paid less than $200 for mine only 2 years ago. And that gun already broke with less than 200 rounds through it.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Cool. You can stick up the gas station with your free gun. 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What brands do they offer?

Do they have Sigs? FNs? Walthers? HKs? Anything good?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What brands do they offer?

Do they have Sigs? FNs? Walthers? HKs? Anything good?
Kel-Teks.

Which is to say, nothing good.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Kel-Tec .380. Hmmm. So, basically, a free paperweight with every car. Of course, if someone breaks into your house, you can put the Kel-Tec in a sock and swing it around and cause a concussion... :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Or jump them and stuff the sock down their throat.

Probably safer than involving the Kel-Tec, at all.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

This offer is no where as good as the one that one bank had in the Michael Moore movie 'Bowling for Columbine'... the bank was giving out rifles. Much better imho
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Plus, they just let him walk out with his, on camera.

Brilliant.
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

Kanastrous wrote:Plus, they just let him walk out with his, on camera.

Brilliant.
Well, according to him, the bank was a licensed FFL, so again, there's no problem.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

You lost me at "according to him."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Who cars about ‘according to him’? If you just freaking watch Bowling for Columbine, a women who works for the bank specifically tells Moore that the bank is a licensed firearms dealer and has IIRC 350 different guns in its bank vault at the time.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Cars, guns, now all they need to do is offer hockey masks and Butler, Missouri is all ready for the Road Warrior. Maybe Mr. Muller can mutter something about priceless "black gold" just to top it off...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Who cars about ‘according to him’? If you just freaking watch Bowling for Columbine, a women who works for the bank specifically tells Moore that the bank is a licensed firearms dealer and has IIRC 350 different guns in its bank vault at the time.
I recall one of those "exposes" on Moore, suggesting that he had arranged before hand with the bank to "just walk out" with the weapon, since, hey, that makes for better film, even though people aren't actually allowed to do that, in real life.

Now, if everyone who signs up is basically handed a rifle and sent out the door - which, IIRC, is what Moore does in the film - then that's documentary.

On the other hand, if people in reality are required to undergo the BG check and waiting period, and Moore arranged to be allowed to casually walk off with a rifle, in order to misrepresent what went on there, that's propaganda.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Kanastrous wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Who cars about ‘according to him’? If you just freaking watch Bowling for Columbine, a women who works for the bank specifically tells Moore that the bank is a licensed firearms dealer and has IIRC 350 different guns in its bank vault at the time.
I recall one of those "exposes" on Moore, suggesting that he had arranged before hand with the bank to "just walk out" with the weapon, since, hey, that makes for better film, even though people aren't actually allowed to do that, in real life.

Now, if everyone who signs up is basically handed a rifle and sent out the door - which, IIRC, is what Moore does in the film - then that's documentary.

On the other hand, if people in reality are required to undergo the BG check and waiting period, and Moore arranged to be allowed to casually walk off with a rifle, in order to misrepresent what went on there, that's propaganda.
it is called editing. He had to go through the hoops every one else does to legally buy a gun. In fact, IF memory serves, there was a minimum balance that you had to keep in the bank to get the rifle too.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Is he shown going through all the hoops, going through the waiting period, coming back later to pick up the weapon, et all?

This was presented as a documentary. IIRC he's basically shown opening an account, and walking out with a firearm. Yeah, that's editing. It's dishonest editing.
M
Redshirt

Post by M »

Kanastrous wrote:Is he shown going through all the hoops, going through the waiting period, coming back later to pick up the weapon, et all?

This was presented as a documentary. IIRC he's basically shown opening an account, and walking out with a firearm. Yeah, that's editing. It's dishonest editing.
Michigan doesn't actually appear to have a waiting period.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Kanastrous wrote:Is he shown going through all the hoops, going through the waiting period, coming back later to pick up the weapon, et all?

who said michael moore was honest? :wink: