Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Death from the Sea wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:Is he shown going through all the hoops, going through the waiting period, coming back later to pick up the weapon, et all?

This was presented as a documentary. IIRC he's basically shown opening an account, and walking out with a firearm. Yeah, that's editing. It's dishonest editing.
who said michael moore was honest? :wink:
Well...

..not you.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

M wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:Is he shown going through all the hoops, going through the waiting period, coming back later to pick up the weapon, et all?

This was presented as a documentary. IIRC he's basically shown opening an account, and walking out with a firearm. Yeah, that's editing. It's dishonest editing.
Michigan doesn't actually appear to have a waiting period.
No, but they do have the NICS check and you're still required to fill out a 4473.

IOW, it's not quite as simple as opening an account and walking out with a gun.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Patrick Degan wrote:Cool. You can stick up the gas station with your free gun. 8)
If Death from the Sea's experience is true, Kel-Tec has HUGE quality control problems with their guns, so if the gas station attendant calls your bluff, you might hear a "click" instead of a "bang!" when you try to fire a warning shot.

Personally, I'd take the gas card. (But if they offered something that will go "bang!" instead of "click" when I squeeze the trigger, like a GLOCK...)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

H&K USP .40, baby.

Accept no substitutes.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Sidewinder wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Cool. You can stick up the gas station with your free gun. 8)
If Death from the Sea's experience is true, Kel-Tec has HUGE quality control problems with their guns, so if the gas station attendant calls your bluff, you might hear a "click" instead of a "bang!" when you try to fire a warning shot.

Personally, I'd take the gas card. (But if they offered something that will go "bang!" instead of "click" when I squeeze the trigger, like a GLOCK...)
I used to own a Kel-Tec .380, and had no problems out of it in the 200 or so rounds I put through it (it wasn't a 'fun' gun, so I didn't try to run a few thousand rounds through it) for practice.
Though I've seen a lot of bitching on gun forums about their QC and am willing to believe that my experience was atypical.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Re: Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

Post by Winston Blake »

gizmojumpjet wrote:In any event, it's not like you get the car and the gun is already sitting in the glove box. I'm reasonably certain they give you a coupon that can be redeemed at a local licensed firearms dealer who will run the background check and then give you the gun.
I assumed it must be some kind of gift card too. It's just like any promotional stunt between two businesses, and it's certainly gotten them publicity. The firearms dealer probably had a surplus of crappy mouseguns he wanted to shift.
Kanastrous wrote:Given a choice between a Kel-Tec and a gas card, I'd take the gas card.

Of course, given the choice between a Kel-Tec and a sandwich, I'd prefer the sandwich.
Madness. Sell the gun and buy thirty sandwiches. Then raise your sandwich-caked fingers and cackle.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: Buy A Car, Get a Free Gun!

Post by Kanastrous »

Winston Blake wrote: Madness. Sell the gun and buy thirty sandwiches. Then raise your sandwich-caked fingers and cackle.
Oh wow.

I see a halo around you right now.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Kanastrous wrote:H&K USP .40, baby.

Accept no substitutes.
Looking at a 9mm myself now. Also it's a gun you either like or don't, it just doesn't fit some peoples hands.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Glocksman wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:

I used to own a Kel-Tec .380, and had no problems out of it in the 200 or so rounds I put through it (it wasn't a 'fun' gun, so I didn't try to run a few thousand rounds through it) for practice.
Though I've seen a lot of bitching on gun forums about their QC and am willing to believe that my experience was atypical.
when you say it wasn't a fun gun... what do you mean by that?

because when asked by others, I also said something similar about mine before it broke. I thought that the gun being so thin was great when I bought it because it would allow me to conceal it much easier on my body armor under my uniform. BUT when I started shooting it, I found out that it's thin profile made it sting to shoot in my hands.

did you also find it stinging to shoot?
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

By 'fun' gun, I meant a plinking weapon such as my Ruger 22/45, not a self defense gun like the Kel-Tec.

That said, yes it did sting when shooting it.

Oderint dum metuant
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I've never understood advertising, except that has to work or it wouldn't exist. At Redneck Motors you can buy a crappy car and a crappy gun in the name of patriotism, what a deal!
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:H&K USP .40, baby.

Accept no substitutes.
Looking at a 9mm myself now. Also it's a gun you either like or don't, it just doesn't fit some peoples hands.
Taurus PT111 is a good gun for a 9mm. I'm wondering how much reworking it would require to upgrade it to .357 SIG-- ah forget it, .45ACP for great justice!!
Glocksman wrote:No, but they do have the NICS check and you're still required to fill out a 4473.

IOW, it's not quite as simple as opening an account and walking out with a gun.
No waiting period either. I walked in, browsed the rack, found me a shotgun I liked even if it was wearing a longass barrel (easily fixed with a hundred bux), filled out the 4473, ran the NICS check, picked up new shells while it ran, and forked over the cash when it greenlighted. Total time: 45 minutes.
Image Image
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

As long as you didn't cut it shorter than 18 inches or make the overall length less than 26 inches, you could have used a dremel and cut the barrel yourself.

Oderint dum metuant
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

OT, but if you're really into collecting guns cheaply, a curio and relic FFL is worth the cost.

Thanks to my 03FFL, I've bought Nagant M38 and M44 carbines for $80 delivered, a Manurhin PP for $250 delivered, and a Yugo M59/66 SKS for $100 delivered.

My next purchase is a CZ 82 9mm Makarov that'll run about $220 delivered.

Oderint dum metuant
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Gonna pick up any Garands while you're at it?
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

If I had the $700 or so needed, I would.
Too bad that both the Garands and $500 M1 Carbines being imported are out of my price range.

Oderint dum metuant
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Glocksman wrote:As long as you didn't cut it shorter than 18 inches or make the overall length less than 26 inches, you could have used a dremel and cut the barrel yourself.
:shock: eeeek.

Thanks but no thanks, I like my guns uncircumcised. I'd much rather get a dedicated barrel for housework (read: Defense) anyway so I don't ruin the default Hunting Barrel it's now wearing. I'll eventually also get a Slugger (fully rifled) as well to shoot Sabots with.
Image Image