IG-88 vs Master Chief

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who is the winner?

Master Chief
57%
IG-88
43%

Total votes: 14

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:That's true. But that nuke will take him down easly enough. And if he's smart he can sucker the droid same as Fett.
IG-88E wrote:Or simply the fact that he's a droid. It's a smart move but not some stroke of genius.
I'll deal with this later on.

I'm referring to the sheer AMOUNT of energy Fett used. Think about it: FIVE ion cannons? And not even that managed to shut IG down completetely (irrelevent point, I know). If Fett went in with this much firepower, I'm assuming he knew how tough the droid was.
And IG isn't immune to any blaster, that's a rideuclous idea. Some of the bigger blasters would probably take him down.
Bigger blasters like what? He's taken shots from a rifle at close range. He's been ambushed by FIVE people firing rifles and took no damage. Obviously, bigger guns might hurt him, but sidearms and rifles appear to have little/no effect.
Except for the fight before the Emperor you seem to assume IG and MC will start at arms length from each other. Dumb idea.
Why? There's nothing to suggest otherwise except in #2. The garbage room in Bespin was pretty tight, and the third appears to set up and gladiator-style fight, obviously they will be close together. As for Echo Base, yes, that's a differenct case.
In those cases the Master Cheif would have ample time and ability to evade IG long enough to think and plan an ambush.
If we're assuming they know ALL ABOUT each other (which isn't suggested) what's to say IG-88 won't set a trap?
It's generally assumed that both sides have intel on the other unless otherwise stated. Not necessarily all the intel but a rough idea of it.
In that case, there's nothing in the first scenario to prevent IG from firing concussion and smoke grenades into the room where the master chief's waiting. He'll be roadkill. In the second, both will either hunt each other down or set traps, depending on what they find/what stategy to come up with. In the third, they are preseumably starting at least as close as Vader and Skywalker were, which means it comes down to fairly close-range fighting, and IG has ten blasters to MC's one.
And nothing says that the Master Cheif would be so dumb as to simply wade into a fire fight anyways. He's smart enough to take the time to scope out IG when he can.
In the first and third, there is little other choice. In the second, it jsut depends on what they decide to do.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Whoops, this is what the beginning should look like. Can you edit that, Stormbringer?
Stormbringer wrote:That's true. But that nuke will take him down easly enough. And if he's smart he can sucker the droid same as Fett.

[/quote]
JADAFETWA
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG-88E wrote:
IG-88E wrote:Or simply the fact that he's a droid. It's a smart move but not some stroke of genius.
Whatever.
IG-88E wrote:I'm referring to the sheer AMOUNT of energy Fett used. Think about it: FIVE ion cannons? And not even that managed to shut IG down completetely (irrelevent point, I know). If Fett went in with this much firepower, I'm assuming he knew how tough the droid was.
I know that's tought but I doubt it's 30 megatons of tough.
IG-88E wrote:
And IG isn't immune to any blaster, that's a rideuclous idea. Some of the bigger blasters would probably take him down.
Bigger blasters like what? He's taken shots from a rifle at close range. He's been ambushed by FIVE people firing rifles and took no damage. Obviously, bigger guns might hurt him, but sidearms and rifles appear to have little/no effect.
E-webs and other heavy machine gun analogues might well kill him.
IG-88E wrote:
Except for the fight before the Emperor you seem to assume IG and MC will start at arms length from each other. Dumb idea.
Why? There's nothing to suggest otherwise except in #2. The garbage room in Bespin was pretty tight, and the third appears to set up and gladiator-style fight, obviously they will be close together. As for Echo Base, yes, that's a differenct case.
Oh come on. That's just fucking ridiculous. In three, yeah, that's probably the case and the Master Cheif would go down. However both Cloud City and Echo Base are large enough that it'd be retarded to think they'd start in the same room much less at arms length.
IG-88E wrote:
In those cases the Master Cheif would have ample time and ability to evade IG long enough to think and plan an ambush.
If we're assuming they know ALL ABOUT each other (which isn't suggested) what's to say IG-88 won't set a trap?
It's entirely possible. But it seems to me that IG simply seems to wade in and rely on his durability to survive. And if a human can out fox him with such simple tricks he's not that bright.
IG-88E wrote:
It's generally assumed that both sides have intel on the other unless otherwise stated. Not necessarily all the intel but a rough idea of it.
In that case, there's nothing in the first scenario to prevent IG from firing concussion and smoke grenades into the room where the master chief's waiting. He'll be roadkill. In the second, both will either hunt each other down or set traps, depending on what they find/what stategy to come up with. In the third, they are preseumably starting at least as close as Vader and Skywalker were, which means it comes down to fairly close-range fighting, and IG has ten blasters to MC's one.
His armor has built in sensors so smoke won't be much help a. And if he's cloacked it'll probably hamper IG more than the Master Cheif.

And only in the throne room scenario would in necessarily come down it an OK Corral type fight. In the other ambush and traps would be much more likely.
IG-88E wrote:
And nothing says that the Master Cheif would be so dumb as to simply wade into a fire fight anyways. He's smart enough to take the time to scope out IG when he can.
In the first and third, there is little other choice. In the second, it jsut depends on what they decide to do.
How so? All it says for one is that the Master Cheif replaces Boba Fett. That's it. It doesn't mean he suddenly blips in during the middle of a fight.

And come to think of it, in all but three the Master Cheif would be able to pick up some heavy weaponary of his own. Not good for the droid.
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Post by Admiral Griffith »

Stormbringer wrote:
IG-88E wrote:I'm referring to the sheer AMOUNT of energy Fett used. Think about it: FIVE ion cannons? And not even that managed to shut IG down completetely (irrelevent point, I know). If Fett went in with this much firepower, I'm assuming he knew how tough the droid was.
Wouldn't a 30 MT nuke result in the destruction of both parties, thus ending the fight in a tie? So in effect, all poor Chief can do is a kamakaze attack.
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:
Griffith has a good point: is the chief going to set a nuke off in his face? Besides, my whole point in discussing the ambush was to point out the Boba had done a lot to prepare for IG, while the Chief doesn't necessarily have that time. Moving on:
E-webs and other heavy machine gun analogues might well kill him.
That's nice. Now besides the nuke launcher, what weapon of the Chief has this type of firepower?
Oh come on. That's just fucking ridiculous. In three, yeah, that's probably the case and the Master Cheif would go down. However both Cloud City and Echo Base are large enough that it'd be retarded to think they'd start in the same room much less at arms length.
Ah, have you read the story scenario 1 is based on? Fett and IG WERE in the same room when the fight started. If the Chief wants to set a nuke off in his face, well it's MAD. Wheeee. And if he wants to back off and set a trap, he'll have IG chasing him. Another wheeee.
It's entirely possible. But it seems to me that IG simply seems to wade in and rely on his durability to survive. And if a human can out fox him with such simple tricks he's not that bright.
Not always. He stood outside one target's home for over a day bringing down the defenses electronically to be silent. He doesn't always just wade in.
His armor has built in sensors so smoke won't be much help a. And if he's cloacked it'll probably hamper IG more than the Master Cheif.
Actually, it would be the other way around. Since IG sees at multiple wavelengths, it would probably be easier to detect a body moving through smoke than thin air. And does a cloak snuff the sound of bootsteps? Methinks not.
And only in the throne room scenario would in necessarily come down it an OK Corral type fight. In the other ambush and traps would be much more likely.
In the second, yes. In the first, they're already too close.
IG-88E wrote:How so? All it says for one is that the Master Cheif replaces Boba Fett. That's it. It doesn't mean he suddenly blips in during the middle of a fight.
OK, so he's MC with all of Boba's planning and weps? How the fuck does that change anything?
And come to think of it, in all but three the Master Cheif would be able to pick up some heavy weaponary of his own. Not good for the droid.
He would? Where? In Cloud City, where the guards carry simple sidearms? In Echo Base, which was abandoned by the Rebels, taking everything they had with them, then looted by the Empire? In the Emperor's throne room, where trying to grab a lightsaber will probably result in electrocution? This seems to be a pretty desperate hope.
JADAFETWA
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG, your whole arguement seems to be based around the premise that the Master Cheif start out right under IG-88's gun. That's a dumbass assumption.

Your second assumption is that the Master Cheif would be dumb enough to simply start blasting away. Nevermind that a normal human with a little ingeniuty took IG out. None of his fancy tricks and gadgets saved him from a clever human.

All in all but the last scenario the Master Cheif could win.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:IG, your whole arguement seems to be based around the premise that the Master Cheif start out right under IG-88's gun. That's a dumbass assumption.
In the first and third, HE DOES. They start very close together in these two. In the second, it's a different story.
Your second assumption is that the Master Cheif would be dumb enough to simply start blasting away. Nevermind that a normal human with a little ingeniuty took IG out. None of his fancy tricks and gadgets saved him from a clever human.
In two of the scenarios, he has little choice.

And IG has his own ingenuity. He once set a programming trap that made him appear to be deactivated. Master Chief might walk up to the sprawled body of the droid only to have it come alive and open up at point-blank range.
All in all but the last scenario the Master Cheif could win.
Of course he *can* win. I just think it's highly unlikely.
JADAFETWA
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The Needler might give IG-88 a scrapping, but I don't think that John can handle the deadliest droid assasain in the SW universe.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

2. Can lift 3 times their body weight.

If they are the size of the average human, that means they can lift ~600 pounds. I'm not impressed.
Considering his muscles were augmented to have be vastly increased i n density, and that his bones were boned with lairs of metal and ceramic he probably weighs closer to 350-400 pounds. Meaning he can lift over a ton unaided.
3. Can see virtually in the dark.

IG can see in the visible spectrum, infrared, nightvision, and other wavelengths simultaneously
What part of unaided don't you understand? MC's helmet has these ability to see in these frequencies built into it.
2. Armor doubles users strength

So now they can life ~1200 pounds. I'm still not impressed.
Actually it would be around two tons..... in the prototype armor.
6. Have increased memory, intellegence, and creativity.

Not that this has anything to do with the fight, but come on.
LOL this has EVERYTHING to do with the fight. IG-88 got himself destroyed by Boba Fett THREE times because he underestimated/mistook Fetts abilities, intellegence, and course of action.
IG is a walking database. He designed the IG-2001,
Ah yes, how can we forget that wonderful spacecraft.... the perfect design piloted by the perfect pilot...... and Fett in Slave-1 managed to destroy two of them..... in what, 5 minutes? (probably less) Obi-Wan has a better record vs Slave-1 then they do.
he came up with the idea of downloading himself into the DS main comp. He remembers everything he's ever seen and heard
His miscalculations led to his destruction FOUR times in a relativly short period of time...... too bad his great thinking abilites and wonderful memory didn't allow him to avoid his four seperate deaths.
IG, your whole arguement seems to be based around the premise that the Master Cheif start out right under IG-88's gun. That's a dumbass assumption.

In the first and third, HE DOES. They start very close together in these two. In the second, it's a different story.
Thats my mistake, I really should have been clearer when i set up the senarios........

In the first senario MC just replaces Fett in terms of general role, not the specific room. Master Chief knows that IG-88 is coming for him and hes on Cloud City and has time to prepare.

The third senario was really supose to be a hand to hand combat sort of thing, for the Emperor's amusement..... I really should have clarified, sorry about that. If someone wants to be cute and give them lightsabres to duel out with, Im game.
[/quote]
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:Considering his muscles were augmented to have be vastly increased i n density, and that his bones were boned with lairs of metal and ceramic he probably weighs closer to 350-400 pounds. Meaning he can lift over a ton unaided.
I this guessswork or actually based on something?
IG can see in the visible spectrum, infrared, nightvision, and other wavelengths simultaneously
What part of unaided don't you understand? MC's helmet has these ability to see in these frequencies built into it.
SIMULTANEOUSLY? I doubt it.
So, with your guesswork, he's pretty strong.
LOL this has EVERYTHING to do with the fight. IG-88 got himself destroyed by Boba Fett THREE times because he underestimated/mistook Fetts abilities, intellegence, and course of action.
LOL. So if you're going to give MC complete knowledge of the droid, then IG-88 obviously will have complete knowledge of the MC. Boba Fett was an unknown, and IG underestimated him. With complete knowledge of the MC, that's not gonna happen.
Ah yes, how can we forget that wonderful spacecraft.... the perfect design piloted by the perfect pilot...... and Fett in Slave-1 managed to destroy two of them..... in what, 5 minutes? (probably less) Obi-Wan has a better record vs Slave-1 then they do.
This detracts from the ship's abilities HOW? Can your vaunted Chief design an effective attack ship in less than a month?
he came up with the idea of downloading himself into the DS main comp. He remembers everything he's ever seen and heard
His miscalculations led to his destruction FOUR times in a relativly short period of time...... too bad his great thinking abilites and wonderful memory didn't allow him to avoid his four seperate deaths.
Again, all because he underestimated an unknown. If both of these two are going in with complete knowledge of the other. that won't happen.
In the first senario MC just replaces Fett in terms of general role, not the specific room. Master Chief knows that IG-88 is coming for him and hes on Cloud City and has time to prepare.
Whoa whoa WHOA! So MC has complete knowledge and IG has none? Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
The third senario was really supose to be a hand to hand combat sort of thing, for the Emperor's amusement..... I really should have clarified, sorry about that. If someone wants to be cute and give them lightsabres to duel out with, Im game.
Sonic stunner. Bye bye.
JADAFETWA
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG-88E wrote:
BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:Considering his muscles were augmented to have be vastly increased i n density, and that his bones were boned with lairs of metal and ceramic he probably weighs closer to 350-400 pounds. Meaning he can lift over a ton unaided.
I this guessswork or actually based on something?
Fall of Reach
IG-88E wrote:
It's entirely possible given he's a cyborg.
IG-88E wrote:
So, with your guesswork, he's pretty strong.
Yeah, give the calcs he'd be pretty tough.
IG-88E wrote:
Actually, he was just an idiot and got nailed by simple ambushes. That doesn't speak well of him. He just goes through and attacks.
IG-88E wrote:LOL. So if you're going to give MC complete knowledge of the droid, then IG-88 obviously will have complete knowledge of the MC. Boba Fett was an unknown, and IG underestimated him. With complete knowledge of the MC, that's not gonna happen.

This detracts from the ship's abilities HOW? Can your vaunted Chief design an effective attack ship in less than a month?
And this means what to their combat capabilities?
IG-88E wrote:
Again, all because he underestimated an unknown. If both of these two are going in with complete knowledge of the other. that won't happen.
Not really. He got nailed by simple ambushes.
IG-88E wrote:
Whoa whoa WHOA! So MC has complete knowledge and IG has none? Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
Cry me a river. They have equal knowledge, MC is just there sooner.
IG-88E wrote:
Sonic stunner. Bye bye.
Armor. That isn't likely to work.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:Fall of Reach
Is that the name of the novel? OK then.
IG-88E wrote:SIMULTANEOUSLY? I doubt it.
It's POSSIBLE? And evidence for this?

Actually, he was just an idiot and got nailed by simple ambushes. That doesn't speak well of him. He just goes through and attacks.
Because he UNDERESTIMATED him. If IG was a stupid droid who blundered into everything, he wouldn't have racked hundreds of kills in just a few years.
And this means what to their combat capabilities?
That was my original point, this has nothing to do with the fighting. Blkbrry decided to make it an issue.
He was ambushed ONCE. The second time, Fett pulled a dogfighting manuever he couldn't duplicate, hardly an ambush.
In that case, there's nothing to stop IG from pumping a few missiles into the city's repulsorlifts, thus winning before he ever lands.
Sonic stunner. Bye bye.
Oh, so the armor is soundproof? Riiiiiiight. Do you even know what a sonic stunner is? It produces a piercing wave of sound directed at the opponent. Unless your Chief wears armor that completely blocks sound off, it'll cause him a hell load of pain.
JADAFETWA
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Is this guessswork or actually based on something?
Its educated guesswork..... I'm 6 foot 3 and I wiegh 250.... and im not even particularly "buff". Taking into account his height, "buffness", denser muscle structure, and augmented skeleton I don't its unreasonable to assume that he wieghs at least 30-50% of my weight.
I seriously doubt that there will be a situation where he will need to use these vision modes simultaneously.
So, with your guesswork, he's pretty strong
Yes, when compared to your less accurate guesswork......
LOL. So if you're going to give MC complete knowledge of the droid, then IG-88 obviously will have complete knowledge of the MC. Boba Fett was an unknown, and IG underestimated him. With complete knowledge of the MC, that's not gonna happen
Fett didn't have complete knowledge of IG-88, he just knew that it was an assassin driod with a dismantle on sight order...... IG-88 will also assume that MC is just another Biological warrior who may look like a driod but will be unable to compete with one.
I was making the point that neither THE PILOT nor/or THE SHIP can be all that good if Slave-1 can destroy TWO of them in less then five minutes.... thus either the ship or the pilot are ineffective (or both) ...... take your pick.
Again, all because he underestimated an unknown. If both of these two are going in with complete knowledge of the other. that won't happen
I notice your defining "complete knowledge" as the level of knowledge at which IG-88 will know every move MC will make before he makes it, thus dooming him regardless of what move he chooses to make..... after all IG-88 will know its coming because he has "complete knowledge of Master Chief.
Too bad even "complete knowledge" can't keep IG-88 from getting himself destroyed.... when IG-88 was sitting in the DS-2 computer core he had "complete knowledge" of the rebellion, he had "complete knowledge" of the ship positions on the battlefield, he had "complete knowledge" of the star fighters penetrating the interior of the Death Star..... yet he still dismissed, or didn't even concieve any threat biological creatures could pose to him. All he did was sit there, pondering his delusions of grandure while the rebel alliance penetrated the DS core and blew him to oblivion. For all his calculating ability, which was even further magnified by being part of the DS computer core, he was unable to foresee his own, perfectly possible, death.
Where do you keep getting this stupid idea that MC has complete knowledge about IG-88? All Chief knows is what Fett knows.... what a droid is, that IG-88 is an assassin driod, that hes after him, and the relative firepower needed to stop most things in the SW universe.
Quote:

Sonic stunner. Bye bye.
What part of unarmed, hand-to-hand combat don't you understand? The instant the IG-88 pulled out that stunner Lord Vader or the Emperor would use the force to rip it out of his grip.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG-88E wrote:
IG-88E wrote:SIMULTANEOUSLY? I doubt it.
I said it's possible. There's no reason all the data can't be displayed at once.
IG-88E wrote:
Because he UNDERESTIMATED him. If IG was a stupid droid who blundered into everything, he wouldn't have racked hundreds of kills in just a few years.
Or he just was lucky. He seems to simply wade in and rely on his tricks to survive. Fett's ambush wasn't that creative but it was effectire.
IG-88E wrote:
He was ambushed ONCE. The second time, Fett pulled a dogfighting manuever he couldn't duplicate, hardly an ambush.
He's still dead isnt he? So techincally he got suckered instead of ambushed. Still that impressive.
IG-88E wrote:
In that case, there's nothing to stop IG from pumping a few missiles into the city's repulsorlifts, thus winning before he ever lands.
Yeahhhhh. Let's start the WMD angle. It's silly and unrealistic to see IG nuking cities to get one bounty.
IG-88E wrote:
Sonic stunner. Bye bye.
Oh, so the armor is soundproof? Riiiiiiight. Do you even know what a sonic stunner is? It produces a piercing wave of sound directed at the opponent. Unless your Chief wears armor that completely blocks sound off, it'll cause him a hell load of pain.
It doesn't have to be soundproof. It just has to dampen it enough. Given that some headgear (ref. Essential Guide to Weapons) can take care of it full body armor should do it just fine.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:
Is this guessswork or actually based on something?
Its educated guesswork..... I'm 6 foot 3 and I wiegh 250.... and im not even particularly "buff". Taking into account his height, "buffness", denser muscle structure, and augmented skeleton I don't its unreasonable to assume that he wieghs at least 30-50% of my weight.
So you're guessing at every variable.
I seriously doubt that there will be a situation where he will need to use these vision modes simultaneously.
I can see it. IG drops some smoke grenades. That gives him a slice of time to act while MC searches for an unimpeded view.
Yes, when compared to your less accurate guesswork......
None of what I've said about IG's capabilities is guesswork. It all comes from the books I've read about him.
Fett didn't have complete knowledge of IG-88, he just knew that it was an assassin driod with a dismantle on sight order...... IG-88 will also assume that MC is just another Biological warrior who may look like a driod but will be unable to compete with one.
Yes, but remember, IG-88 is also going for a kill here. He wanted to humiliate Fett, and thus held himself back from finishing him.
I was making the point that neither THE PILOT nor/or THE SHIP can be all that good if Slave-1 can destroy TWO of them in less then five minutes.... thus either the ship or the pilot are ineffective (or both) ...... take your pick.
False Analogy. Besides, as stated above, IG was holding back. If he'd been out to kill Fett ratherthna humilated him, he wouldn't have hesitated to fire the final shot.
I notice your defining "complete knowledge" as the level of knowledge at which IG-88 will know every move MC will make before he makes it, thus dooming him regardless of what move he chooses to make..... after all IG-88 will know its coming because he has "complete knowledge of Master Chief.
Complete knowledge is knowing every bit of your opponent's capabilities.
Too bad even "complete knowledge" can't keep IG-88 from getting himself destroyed.... when IG-88 was sitting in the DS-2 computer core he had "complete knowledge" of the rebellion, he had "complete knowledge" of the ship positions on the battlefield, he had "complete knowledge" of the star fighters penetrating the interior of the Death Star..... yet he still dismissed, or didn't even concieve any threat biological creatures could pose to him. All he did was sit there, pondering his delusions of grandure while the rebel alliance penetrated the DS core and blew him to oblivion. For all his calculating ability, which was even further magnified by being part of the DS computer core, he was unable to foresee his own, perfectly possible, death.
This blissful little picture ignores the fact the IG killed well over 200 people during his hunts.
Where do you keep getting this stupid idea that MC has complete knowledge about IG-88? All Chief knows is what Fett knows.... what a droid is, that IG-88 is an assassin driod, that hes after him, and the relative firepower needed to stop most things in the SW universe.
That's nice. I haven't seen anything to suggest he'll be able to take advantage of that knowledge.
What part of unarmed, hand-to-hand combat don't you understand? The instant the IG-88 pulled out that stunner Lord Vader or the Emperor would use the force to rip it out of his grip.
It's BUILT INTO HIS ARM! Do you know ANYTHING about IG-88? Unless you're going to completely strip IG of his built it weapons while MC retains his fancy-shmancy armor?
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:
IG-88E wrote:
I said it's possible. There's no reason all the data can't be displayed at once.
There's no reason it CAN, either.
IG-88E wrote:Or he just was lucky. He seems to simply wade in and rely on his tricks to survive. Fett's ambush wasn't that creative but it was effectire.
Yes it was. But MC doesn't have access to the same type of weapons Fett used to pull the ambush off.
He's still dead isnt he? So techincally he got suckered instead of ambushed. Still that impressive.
It wouldn't have happened if he'd been going for a kill.
Yeahhhhh. Let's start the WMD angle. It's silly and unrealistic to see IG nuking cities to get one bounty.
Oh yeah? Why? You're the one who claims IG always goes in with brute force. He's wiped out fortresses to kill one man. No reason he wouldn't blast CC.
It doesn't have to be soundproof. It just has to dampen it enough. Given that some headgear (ref. Essential Guide to Weapons) can take care of it full body armor should do it just fine.
Some SW headgear, yes. Halo headgear?
JADAFETWA
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG-88E wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
IG-88E wrote:
There's no reason it CAN, either.
Actually, given his vision is enhanced by direct input into his brain I see no reason it couldn't.
IG-88E wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Or he just was lucky. He seems to simply wade in and rely on his tricks to survive. Fett's ambush wasn't that creative but it was effectire.
Yes it was. But MC doesn't have access to the same type of weapons Fett used to pull the ambush off.
Sure he doesn't. But he does have weapons that will do the job.
IG-88E wrote:
It wouldn't have happened if he'd been going for a kill.
True but the point is that he can be beaten.
IG-88E wrote:
Oh yeah? Why? You're the one who claims IG always goes in with brute force. He's wiped out fortresses to kill one man. No reason he wouldn't blast CC.
He probably could. That's not the scenario objective though. The idea is it's the setup from TESB but MC replaces Fett.
IG-88E wrote:
Some SW headgear, yes. Halo headgear?
They aren't any fancier than sound dampening earmuffs. That's not that difficult to produce.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:Actually, given his vision is enhanced by direct input into his brain I see no reason it couldn't.
This is new info. Hmmmmmm. OK then.
Stormbringer wrote:Sure he doesn't. But he does have weapons that will do the job.
He does. Care to extrapolate, aside from the nuke launcher?
Yes.....when he hamstrings himself.
He probably could. That's not the scenario objective though. The idea is it's the setup from TESB but MC replaces Fett.
The objective is for one to kill the other, using any methods and resources available right? Boom, goes Cloud City.
They aren't any fancier than sound dampening earmuffs. That's not that difficult to produce.
The SW Essential Guide to Weps and Tech implies that it's not that simple. Certain tech is required to stop the sound wavers, and there's no reason to assume the Chief has it.

And with that, I'll see you tomorrow. Gnight.
JADAFETWA
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IG-88E wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Sure he doesn't. But he does have weapons that will do the job.
He does. Care to extrapolate, aside from the nuke launcher?
IG-88E wrote:
Yes.....when he hamstrings himself.
Not really. He simply makes stupid calls and gets killed because of it.
IG-88E wrote:
The objective is for one to kill the other, using any methods and resources available right? Boom, goes Cloud City.
I thought it was a setup where they were on the city and fighting like IG and Fett were.

If he does concussion missle the place he might well take the place out. I don't know how well armored Cloud City is and what sort of redundancy it has.
IG-88E wrote:
The SW Essential Guide to Weps and Tech implies that it's not that simple. Certain tech is required to stop the sound wavers, and there's no reason to assume the Chief has it.

And with that, I'll see you tomorrow. Gnight.
It's simply sound damping head gear will do the job.. That's not exactly beyond us even today. There no reason to assume fancy tech is needed.
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

I can see it. IG drops some smoke grenades. That gives him a slice of time to act while MC searches for an unimpeded view.
His built in AI, Cortana, would rapidly select the best vision mode for him, regardless I doubt MC would just sit there and let IG-88 slice him IF he was blinded by a gas grenade.
Complete knowledge is knowing every bit of your opponent's capabilities.

Then IG-88 must be pretty fucking stupid/ignorant to have thought that setting up a trap wasn't a capability of the best Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy......
Quote:

This blissful little picture ignores the fact the IG killed well over 200 people during his hunts.
I love how you completly ignore my point of how IG-88 gets blown to smithereens, and dosen't see it coming, even when he had "complete knowledge" of the situation.

Your point also dosen't mention that many of these peope were brutish thugs or in some cases even unarmed scientists/engineers. Certianly no-one who was the equal of Boba-Fett or Master Chief.