Armageddon???? - Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Excellent stuff. The author clearly enjoys writing the battles. :)

It should be an interesting contrast between the B-52 bombing and the wyvern bombing. :)
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

As usual, I almost feel sorry for the Baldricks. They haven't even reached the lines of mines and razor wire yet, and already they're taking massive casualties.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

The Vortex Empire wrote:As usual, I almost feel sorry for the Baldricks. They haven't even reached the lines of mines and razor wire yet, and already they're taking massive casualties.
Their northern flank hasn't even fully entered the main zone of resistance yet, and their southern flank is moving slower...and they've already sustained 10% casualties.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

At what ranges it actually occurs? If the Russian divisions have the Nona in any considerable numbers, the "wall of fire" could be maintained by firing mines up to as close as 400 meters away from the actual Russian positions, reaping a "second harvest" of dead demons right there. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

JN1 wrote:It seems that some of the RAF Tornados lost in '91 during airfield attacks were due to USAF PIs marking the bomblet damage as 'strafing' and tasking a re-attack.
What's a PI? (I'm assuming you're not referring to private investigators.) And how did they contribute to the Tornados' losses? By mistakingly thinking the targeted airfields weren't damaged to the point they couldn't be used, and ordering the RAF pilots to launch another attack on them? By not coordinating USAF attacks with the RAF, leading to midair collisions and/or friendly fire incidents?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Read this with 'The Russian Artillerist's March' playing. Very appropriate.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Stuart wrote: Cheered at the thought, she folded her wings, expelled gas, and dropped like a stone on the defense position beneath.

.”
How unlady like.
Still, now we know what being under harpy attack sounds like..Stuka's wailed on the way down.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Lady Gray? Can I expect carpet bombing?
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Wyrm wrote:Lady Gray? Can I expect carpet bombing?
Almost certainly. I believe it's already been hinted at in the story.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Sidewinder wrote:
JN1 wrote:It seems that some of the RAF Tornados lost in '91 during airfield attacks were due to USAF PIs marking the bomblet damage as 'strafing' and tasking a re-attack.
What's a PI? (I'm assuming you're not referring to private investigators.) And how did they contribute to the Tornados' losses? By mistakingly thinking the targeted airfields weren't damaged to the point they couldn't be used, and ordering the RAF pilots to launch another attack on them? By not coordinating USAF attacks with the RAF, leading to midair collisions and/or friendly fire incidents?
A PI is an RAF term for a Photographic Interpreter - the guys who work out what the pics show. Not sure what the USAF calls them.
Basically yes, they did not believe the airfields had been put out of action. I came across this bit of info in a book called 'Cold War, Hot Wings - Memoirs of a Cold War Fighter Pilot 1962-1994', by Squadron Leader Chris J. Bain (retired).
During Desert Storm the author was attached to the DIA at Bolling AFB. He claims to have encountered a great deal of ignorance about non-US capabilities, such as what the JP233 could do, for example mistaking the holes dug by the bomblets for strafing damage ('bloody big gun then', as he remarked to the PI responsible).
The Iraqi airfield in question was Shaibah, which if memory serves is now ironically the location of a large British Army base, which was tasked for a return visit. I would need to check as to whether any Tornados were lost on repeat attacks to be 100% sure, but it does seem as if they were put in unnecessary danger.

Bain's book is a good read, though he's a bit opinionated at times for my taste, and I'm not sure I agree with his belief that Augusto Pinochet was a benevolent dictator.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Do Russian soldiers still call each-other Tovarisch? I thought that went out with the iron curtain.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

If radar screws up harpies like that, imagine what it's already doing to the naga. Looks like Detroit won't be taking much damage if the naga are that bothered by radar; it might even buy enough time for McElroy and friends to kill the naga while they are still assembled.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Eulogy wrote:If radar screws up harpies like that, imagine what it's already doing to the naga.
Radar at that intensity would screw up humans, probably worse than the demons; microwaves at high enough intensity will simply cook you.
Looks like Detroit won't be taking much damage if the naga are that bothered by radar;
Detroit does not have 2000 narrow-scan radars focused on it, and even if it did, they couldn't affect demons back in hell unless a portal is already open.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I must say, I'm kinda starting to hope that Hell has some tricks left in the bag, otherwise its going to be a rather boring and one-sided war. Unless, of course, the Baldricks go guerilla.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

The other side is watching, remember? Heavens forces are getting a nice little lesson.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Who or what are the BUFFS? I have no idea...

Anyways very very very good and tasty.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Big Ugly Fat Fellows;

B-52's
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

BUFF really stands for Big Ugly Fat Fucker
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Agent Fisher wrote:BUFF really stands for Big Ugly Fat Fucker
What I was about to say; "Fellow" is a euphemism I saw first in a children's book on airplanes ostensibly wishing to avoid inflicting such a horror on a child's fragile mind, or more likely the backlash from that child's parents after they find out where their kid picked up such language.

It's silly, though; if they didn't want us to see that, they might as well have just left it out rather that lie.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

fusion wrote:Who or what are the BUFFS?
Saint Curtis is displeased with you.

The Big Ugly Fat Fucker.
The Gray Lady.
The B-52 Stratofortress.
All are one.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

:twisted:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

General Schatten wrote:
fusion wrote:Who or what are the BUFFS?
Saint Curtis is displeased with you.

The Big Ugly Fat Fucker.
The Gray Lady.
The B-52 Stratofortress.
All are one.
Who is Saint Curtis? :D

Anyways, 1.5 million is still a lot to kill...

Things can still go bad such as the first rows of tanks being destroyed.
R011
Youngling

Post by R011 »

fusion wrote: Who is Saint Curtis? :D
Why, it's General Curtis Emerson LeMay, first commander of the United States Air Force's Strategic Air Command.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_LeMay
DAVE AAA
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Saint Curtis LeMay, of course! Head of SAC, "Peace is Our Profession"
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This particular battalion had guns that were an odd hybrid, old D-21 122mm
D-21 122mm? AFAIK, no such thing. Do you mean the classic/ superb D-30?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/