SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Mr Bean wrote: These are SOVIET jammers friend, I have power to spend. (Also Birds flying within fifty meter of this thing will cook themselves) Until you let the EAS start broadcasting on military frequencies(Which I won't touch and cilivan TV's can't pick up) I can modulate and scatter. This is technology which was perfected thirty years ago to block out Voice of America, Radio-Free Israeli and other such programs.
Doesn't matter matter, every city in the country has sirens/PA systems for Tornado warnings, I can just blare out the alerts over that.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Lonestar wrote:
PeZook wrote:Jesus! Goddamn you all!

I decide to have a life this weekend, thinking "Hey, what could happen?"

And now this. JESUS.
What is....life?Image
The thing that makes one leave, when things are getting interesting. :cry:

I am leaving for the next couple of hours. Have fun guys.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I need to go off too. To sleep that is.

I hereby commit my forces to RogueIce to command my forces, and so help me, I would like to see a world tomorrow morning, and not burnt to cinders.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:Jesus! Goddamn you all!

I decide to have a life this weekend, thinking "Hey, what could happen?"

And now this. JESUS.
Now you know how I felt last weekend.

Except my attempt at having a life was better planned than yours. Since I didn't come back to a time when someone actually used nuclear weapons. Just when we were at the brink of that (yet again). :P

Anyhow, now is the time we need King Paul the most, so glad you're back.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lonestar wrote: Doesn't matter matter, every city in the country has sirens/PA systems for Tornado warnings, I can just blare out the alerts over that.
Yes, but is the EAS in charge of that?
No, that's not who I'm trying to stop, I've cut down or jammed all civilian news agency broadcast systems, and I intend to keep them down until the government can put a official message out.

Note that key word, government, I'm not trying to block your active efforts, just kill the independent media. My goal is prevent world-wide panic here because of hysterical civilians, not interfere with the business of fellow world governments.

*Edit, and as noted, it's temporary

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'll be back in two hours, have fun. But not Sheppard fun

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The EAS is government. Emergency Alert System. It falls under Department of Public Safety.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lonestar wrote:The EAS is government. Emergency Alert System. It falls under Department of Public Safety.
Excuse me, not EAS, TEXAS NEWS SERVICE, yes that's the shit I am jamming

Not the EAS, the TNS is what I'm jamming, posts retro-conned.

*Edit, acutally I never said I jammed in EAS, in the game thread I specified only "Civilian television signals"

I did say so here, mybad.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr. Bean, I hardly see how jamming all civilian stations would calm anyone down. That alone could make people think war is now, and this shit is too big to cover up. Why does having people know the truth cause panic? Not knowing could be far, far worse. There were no riots during the Cuban missile crisis, and during other crises such as September 11th., the Chinese Earthquake and such brought out the best in people, not the worst. I guess your nation doesn't trust the public, or anyone else for that matter given your penchant for secret negotiations. No way all this can be played as a nuclear test either, and I don’t know why anyone would want to do it that way anyway.

Also, other people developing their own space capabilities would seem like a good idea, as you obviously have used the program to set up your own military satellites with strike capabilities. (I’m betting one set are ASAT, one set are ABM, and the third attack ground targets. Is that close? Or will all be revealed eventually?)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

We've had no analog in real life. When's the last time you heard "Soviet Planes fired Nuclear missiles at the US Navy this morning.

Furthermore in 1962 most people could not follow the missiles Crisis live, there were no 24 hour news networks.

What I'm aiming to do is prevent word of the attack leaking until each government can produce it's own internal message to it's citizens. After that, business as usual. We are on semi-real time, today just covers today, December 31st 2010.

As for my satellites, I've been leaking informaiton on them since this game started, someone might have wiki'd up the fact that Internet satellites don't need to weight 75 tons. I've said many times I don't want or need Nuclear or Biological weapons. If you were a member of OMSK you have an exact briefing on Stage II of my program. I've already entered Stage III with the Arbiters and yes they are ABM, but the system is not complete and frankly if you knew any of the details it would make it mostly worthless until I get the minimum number of orbitals up to ensure I have a craft over every launch complex 24/7

Speaking of which, now I really AM going. Back in a few hours.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr Bean wrote:We've had no analog in real life. When's the last time you heard "Soviet Planes fired Nuclear missiles at the US Navy this morning.

Furthermore in 1962 most people could not follow the missiles Crisis live, there were no 24 hour news networks.

What I'm aiming to do is prevent word of the attack leaking until each government can produce it's own internal message to it's citizens. After that, business as usual. We are on semi-real time, today just covers today, December 31st 2010.

As for my satellites, I've been leaking informaiton on them since this game started, someone might have wiki'd up the fact that Internet satellites don't need to weight 75 tons. I've said many times I don't want or need Nuclear or Biological weapons. If you were a member of OMSK you have an exact briefing on Stage II of my program. I've already entered Stage III with the Arbiters and yes they are ABM, but the system is not complete and frankly if you knew any of the details it would make it mostly worthless until I get the minimum number of orbitals up to ensure I have a craft over every launch complex 24/7

Speaking of which, now I really AM going. Back in a few hours.
I am simple saying I do not agree with your philosophy of information control. As for the satellites, I'm just remembering the debate earlier when you were telling people they didn't need their own space program. Anyways I knew you were up to something in space for a long time, I'm not accusing you of trying to pull a fast one in any way, just disagreeing with your policies; which certainly already backfired on you once with the fiasco of negotiating with Sadaamistan.

Frankly I'd be scared shitless by a media blackout with no explanation. If I knew nukes went off, then I'd have a better idea of what was in store. For me not knowing is a hell of a lot worse. I wouldn't be surprised if a government that hid a nuclear attack from its people was voted from office. (And deservedly too.).
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-06-01 01:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

For better or worse, Coilerburg is now involved.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If St. George won't land the MESS ships, then Republicsbergstatesville's ports are open for your boats, mangs.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I say we announce an information release to be conducted shortly.

Otherwise, we will get panic anyway.

EDIT: Heh. It just occured to me that instead of handing out Blackbeards like candy, Shepnukistan could've adopted a policy of "Not nuking people over Libertopian arms shipments", which would've provided far better security.
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-06-01 01:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Go for it. A FUN-wide FUCED address.

Goddamn it. There goes the doctrine of keeping our heads down. Goddamn it. Goddamn it all!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Go for it. A FUN-wide FUCED address.

Goddamn it. There goes the doctrine of keeping our heads down. Goddamn it. Goddamn it all!
Shepnukistan certainly is prevoking the hell out of everyone, so yeah, not much you could do unless you wanted to stay completely out of it.

On that note Indhopal is staying the hell out of it.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Raj Ahten wrote:

Shepnukistan certainly is prevoking the hell out of everyone, so yeah, not much you could do unless you wanted to stay completely out of it.

That only works until they turn their attentions to things you care about.

I mean, we all saw Shep get riled up over "jihadists" that posed very little real threat to him, and that's what started us down this mess. I don't think there's any real reason to believe the UAR will do anything but constantly push and push and push, and when the world tries to say "enough" they went with the nukes, as we saw here.

We took tanks and IFVs from Alexandria, that they gave to him and he paid for. Which made them Alexander's, to most people's perspectives. But apparently they felt that it was really "UAR property for life" and launched 11 nuclear cruise missiles at the SRN convoy.

Do you all really think a nation which does that is just going to let you sit in peace? I mean sure, they may not be doing anything to you now but how long do you think that's going to last?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You know... I'm wondering. How the hell did the convoy survive a nuclear strike? Goddamn, that's incredible luck! Mang! MANG! I can't believe this is happening!

*breaks down*

Prime Minister Shroom is a very scared person right now. Truth be told, he's looking up to you more elder and (war) experienced gents. One of the leaders of the FUN, the third great power of this world, is a big baby :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

RogueIce wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:

That only works until they turn their attentions to things you care about.

I mean, we all saw Shep get riled up over "jihadists" that posed very little real threat to him, and that's what started us down this mess. I don't think there's any real reason to believe the UAR will do anything but constantly push and push and push, and when the world tries to say "enough" they went with the nukes, as we saw here.

We took tanks and IFVs from Alexandria, that they gave to him and he paid for. Which made them Alexander's, to most people's perspectives. But apparently they felt that it was really "UAR property for life" and launched 11 nuclear cruise missiles at the SRN convoy.

Do you all really think a nation which does that is just going to let you sit in peace? I mean sure, they may not be doing anything to you now but how long do you think that's going to last?
At the moment I am trying to stay very neutral officially and wait and see what the hell happens. I have at least minimal defences at home, but right now ProTec's field personnell, all Indhopal citizens, are all quite vulnerable.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:You know... I'm wondering. How the hell did the convoy survive a nuclear strike? Goddamn, that's incredible luck! Mang! MANG! I can't believe this is happening!
Because they didn't actually hit the convoy. They were shot down beforehand. The problem was, Shep's missiles were set up in such a way that they initiated a nuclear blast anyway.

*shrug* Actually if it weren't for that, things would have been bad (an attempted strike against the SRN by Shepnukistan) but not as bad as the fact we know, for a fact, nuclear weapons were involved.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Prime Minister Shroom is a very scared person right now. Truth be told, he's looking up to you more elder and (war) experienced gents. One of the leaders of the FUN, the third great power of this world, is a big baby :P
It's not easy staring apocolypse in the face. You can bet a good chunk of us are scared shitless right now. Read the main quote in my sig. :wink:

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Hhmm, Indhopal would like to talk with FUN and the MESS. Can it get in on the conference?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I'm going to be afk a bit, I'll check in again in a few hours... :D
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Raj Ahten wrote:Hhmm, Indhopal would like to talk with FUN and the MESS. Can it get in on the conference?
I'll patch you in. Audio only.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

RogueIce wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Hhmm, Indhopal would like to talk with FUN and the MESS. Can it get in on the conference?
I'll patch you in. Audio only.
cool. The President and Prime minister will be on the line.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Goddamn it, phong has a point! FUCK! :x :cry:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!