SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:Yes you could toss ABM missiles up... except your going to need a few years of development. Nothing short of a dedicated Kill-sat can get to 1,400 KM.
It's not that hard, to be blunt. The orbits are well-known and characterized and the problem is not much different than ballistic missile engagement. If someone can loft a satellite to 1400km, someone can hit your satellites. Plus, there's the added issue that while yes, you have many satellites around, they also have to come into an altered orbit for engagement and one that can be monitored.
The US can barely hit something at 500 KM, the Chinese managed to smash something at 913km. This is 1,400 KM and a solid hunk of Tungsten with an engine atop if. Trying to shoot it down is impossible. It's not delicate it's a frigging rock. Only the engine is destroyable to traditional ASM's
We "barely" hit something at 500km because we decided to use a modified SM-3 instead of going for something heavier and less precise. Worst-case we could toss a nuke up there or launch a hail of ball bearings. And no, it's not precisely impossible: damage it on the way in and aerodynamic stress will wreak havoc on it. It's the same principle behind how THEL can engage artillery without actually having enough juice to do much damage to a metal shell.
And again that assumes I don't simply fire the KKV at the country trying to shoot it down.
If someone's engaging your KKVs they'll also be simultaneously launching a WMD strike against the UKB proper, likely.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr. Bean thinking on things, it would be very likely for your major rivals to know about your satelite system. Thouands of people would have to be involved in the system's developement and operation, and with the climate of mistrust a foreign intel agency would find out about it through paying someone off or whatnot. Someone could also just leak info on it, I bet there is at least one "space should be used for peacefull purposes" sort of guy who would have to know about the program. Add in that it was an OMSK wide program and that just vastly increases the chances of foreign intel agencies finding out about it.

Regardless, I see a massive build up of MESS, UAN, and possibly FUN space assets in response to this.

Edit: I'm reminded of Lyndon Johnsons speech in The Right Stuff.

"Now the Communists have established a foothold in space. Pretty soon they'll be throwing nuclear bombs down on us like rocks from a freeway overpass!"

To paraphrase it :)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

phongn wrote:Which isn't that relevant, because the UAR has enough strategic delivery systems to even the odds, while everyone else has - finally - scrambled to build incomplete civil, air and missile defense systems.
Hey - I started with and EVOLVED NIKE system - IIRC I posted that I had it a while back, so I've got some Nice SAM and ABM abilities (plus a site on a "Gas Platform".
MariusRoi wrote:"General - Under my orders you are to initial Operations Goalkeeper, Fullback, Quarterback, Runningback, But NOT repeat NOT Operation Play Action* - Is that understood?"
GoalKeeper - The Securing of the Northern Economic Zone - essentially the Gas Field. If you go there - you are attacked.

NOTE: This puts most of the Norther Sea out of commission.

Fullback - Conventional Forces Alert/Dispersion/Ships put to sea.

Runningback - Nuclear Forces Alert.

Quarterback - Civil defense alert and dispersion. Now you know where all of my money has been going!
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wait... your goal keeper is right next to my pirate's bay, and my offshore oil platforms....

...looks at marius funny....

don't make my airforce send glider ninjas in.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well here's the thing, who knows about SCORECARD?
OMSK former high government officials know, none of them leaked it since the briefing was limited to heads of state.

What about White Sands? Well the satellites are brought to the waiting Vulkan's and installed. No need for ground-crews to know exactly what's going on.

As for "thousands of people involved, true enough there were thousands of people involved, but compartmentalization of information goes a long way in that regard. I had on diagrams "fuel tanks" in the HISCO satellites. Those in the know to design the KKV's? Less than a hundred. Those in the know to assemble? Perhaps two hundred. KKV's involve no fancy technology, you need after all, a one ton, three ton, and so on block of Tungsten/Carbon Steel, it's not that complicated and it can be done easy enough. The aiming system? Not that complicated again. The design and the final stage KKV assembly are the only two areas where you can get a direct leak that will imperil the whole project.

And I practice the time honored tradition of taking my top Secret Workers and Area-51'ing them. Cut them out of the public loop and the general population and you can make anything in secret.

In a year or two when contracts are up and people leave those areas you get the chance for leaks, but until then either you assemble dozen of widely separate actives, all of which are hidden under legitimate actives and put all the pieces togther to get the idea of what the program entails.

And even then, which satellites? Another task, what do they contain? Another task, a totally different group of people.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Yosemite Bear

Worse I figured out that this was what you were doing with your space race dominace back in year one. Which I guess we can be thankfull that none of my Neal Stephenson/William Gibson Refugees are malicious in that way, and they appearently don't like to "Draw" like Radical Ed.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr Bean wrote:Well here's the thing, who knows about SCORECARD?
OMSK former high government officials know, none of them leaked it since the briefing was limited to heads of state.

What about White Sands? Well the satellites are brought to the waiting Vulkan's and installed. No need for ground-crews to know exactly what's going on.

As for "thousands of people involved, true enough there were thousands of people involved, but compartmentalization of information goes a long way in that regard. I had on diagrams "fuel tanks" in the HISCO satellites. Those in the know to design the KKV's? Less than a hundred. Those in the know to assemble? Perhaps two hundred. KKV's involve no fancy technology, you need after all, a one ton, three ton, and so on block of Tungsten/Carbon Steel, it's not that complicated and it can be done easy enough. The aiming system? Not that complicated again. The design and the final stage KKV assembly are the only two areas where you can get a direct leak that will imperil the whole project.

And I practice the time honored tradition of taking my top Secret Workers and Area-51'ing them. Cut them out of the public loop and the general population and you can make anything in secret.

In a year or two when contracts are up and people leave those areas you get the chance for leaks, but until then either you assemble dozen of widely separate actives, all of which are hidden under legitimate actives and put all the pieces togther to get the idea of what the program entails.

And even then, which satellites? Another task, what do they contain? Another task, a totally different group of people.
Such secrecy certainly would slow down development, plus as far as I know the system has never been tested so it could very well not work as advertised.

Honestly though, other countries Intel guys get paranoid (hell they are paid to be) and would notice that you have a super secret compartmentalized space program if they are at all attempting infiltration. They would at least know you are sending something into space that is big and ultra secret, and would be trying very hard to find out what it is. Also, just how many uses are there for huge tungsten rods anyway? Other nation's intel satelites, if they have any, could always point their really good cameras at your satelites, just to see what you are putting up there.

And security is never as good as it is supposed to be. During the cold war NATO hemorrhaged secrets, despite a hell of a lot of effort. It only takes one traitor who works on your comms to fuck you up.

Like I said earlier, not Like Indhopal can do jack shit about anything anyone does, so orbiting death sats that supposedly give someone an unstoppable first strike that removes most response options (that no one else knows about apparently) is really just shrug inducing to my government. I could be annihilated by the little finger of any real nation at any time, no use worrying about this.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

You know, how secret projects, cov operations, black box shit...etc are executed in this game has always been a mystery to me :?
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:Well here's the thing, who knows about SCORECARD?
Ergo, Stas Bush knows. So if it looks like the UKB's even thinking of a first strike, what do you think the odds are of him telling the rest of us what those HISCO sats are really there for?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I know, yes. I'm being extremely displeased with UAR's actions.

UAR fails at:
1) diplomacy
2) geography

"Belligerence"? Did I have anything to do with your NUCLEAR ATTACK AGAINST A MESS SHIP, Shep? No?

Well, fuck you. I'm not taking my nukes out of the storage depots. I don't give a fuck. If you want to just destroy a whole lot of nations for fun... fine.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Yosemite Bear

Of note, I have talked with Marius, and extended my Neutrality Zone/Protection to include New Patria, we won't attack except if one or the other is attacked first. Second though out of the game right now, I have extended my air patrols and control to include the Monarchy of the Mermaid. Basically they are too weak to defend themselves, and as part of my air defense agreement. New Partria recognizes my Sanctuary clause. (basically they won't attack if you broadcast in clear that you are seeking sanctuary in the republic, SOS, etc.) Also any Shepnukistan Frieghters that have recently been damaged by the new kids on the block may dock in pirate's bay, as a civilian ship, you will not be considered "Military Material" in reguards to our free to land, not to leave clause. Infact the folks at the docks will probably be willing to conduct repairs on your frieghters. That also goes for other nation's frieghters. note if Frieghters are found to be Q-ships, then they will not be allowed to leave.

The Yosemite Bear

which is probably a good Idea because at any given time right now I've got a few hundred HARMs looking for a radiation source to latch onto.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Raj Ahten wrote:

Such secrecy certainly would slow down development, plus as far as I know the system has never been tested so it could very well not work as advertised.
See my earilier post, my ABM tests were designed to test my KKV's as well as my ABM systems(Two birds one stone!) And more to the point, it only slows down development if your creating a hideously complex new system.

What needs to be there for a KKV to work?
1. The Satellite container which must be done in secret
2. The aiming system, which can be repurposed from existing aiming systems. Instead two thousand pound bombs it's 11 KPS KKV's. And as noted I tested this
3. A 12 ton block of Tungsten? Noo... no work there, the thermal shield work was done as part of the manned space mission.

The SCORECARD system is bringing togther a dozen consepts from diffrent non-secret programs. The only truely secret system is the HISCO satellites, even the communication cross-links are what you need for any internet carrying satellite.
Raj Ahten wrote:
Honestly though, other countries Intel guys get paranoid (hell they are paid to be) and would notice that you have a super secret compartmentalized space program if they are at all attempting infiltration. They would at least know you are sending something into space that is big and ultra secret, and would be trying very hard to find out what it is. Also, just how many uses are there for huge tungsten rods anyway? Other nation's intel satelites, if they have any, could always point their really good cameras at your satelites, just to see what you are putting up there.
Again, by slicing off my workers and giving them a five year contract it makes infiltration impossible since there are no new workers to sneak people in on. Second, as noted the KKV's are carried inside the satellite so visual identification is impossible, unless you have Superman and his X-Ray vision on your side you can't see through them.

As for the Tungstun rods those are the easiest, you don't need a dozen ultra-qualified people for that, milling machines can make the whole damn process automated except for over-seers and people to load the machines. By putting construction facilities on location near White-Sands you don't even need to risk transportation leaks..

One final note, more to the point there exists hree people who can spill the beans to the releveant officals

One Fingolfin_Noldor, Emperor of Byzatnium who received the SCORECARD briefing, he is a Mess member, by extension he can inform the Mess of everything up to and including second Generation. I will write him a stern note if he does inform them however informing him that he is off my Xmas card list, and that his Imperial Highness may no longer borrow the rake on Tuesdays,

The Second is Stas Bush he has the full download, he is now a FUN member, by extension he can tell all FUN members what I have clear up to third generation. He can do as he likes because I trust him not to post that informations on the Inter-tubes and limit perhaps to telling King Paul or Shroom in person.

The only peoeple in the dark officially are the IRT(Who have enough of a space program to be really good guessers) and Indhopal who have no frigging clue.

Heck even Vuplesia knows
As noted, until OMSK broke up I expected my system to come as a total surprise to the world(And it would have) however with the break-up of OMSK and my obvious attack dog(Sheppard) no longer my own I don't mind as much if "certain" people know that I hold the High Orbitals and will used them if attacked.. oh and I mean to keep them thank you.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Yosemite Bear

like I said before, I guessed as much, but didn't do anything, since I've been making myself pretty much a non-target. Hell I've got my most important research and design facility out in the friggin Desert far, far away from my main economic zones. For a reason, I don't have much of a navy, just some subs, destroyers, patrol boats. I have a very good defensive airforce, that can if need be provide me with close air support. but more likely very expensive early stealth fighter/bombers are shitty and difficult to maintain, they are a good style over substance fallacy. Ditto the airships, which too slow to be a real threat, and too easy to target with conventional means. However since I can use hydrogen to operate at the upper, upper atmosphere I can do a lot of things, like signal intercept, theater control, and splash bombers with air to air missiles. Sure I can't run, but you can't dodge as many amraams as I can put out.

lastly I have good intel people. sure they are hackers, but they are good at what they do. The Pentat is aware of a lot more then they let on. but then again, knowledge is power, ingnorance is bliss, and power currupts.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Uh... Bean? :? At no point did anyone extend any punitive economic measures against your merchant fleet.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*wakes up, slowly digests things*

Okay we're all still here.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:Uh... Bean? :? At no point did anyone extend any punitive economic measures against your merchant fleet.
Uhh Stas? A good 40% of the worlds population is huddling in shelters ATM, Sheppard and Sea Skimmer don't have anything to speak of in International trade. Except for the IRT were the only major game in town not totally hunkering down. How many of the Mess merchant Marine do you think is out and operating at this time? Giving Sheppard and Sea Skimmer lots of juicy targets?

No, by all indications the Mess is gearing up for Themonuclear war, as is their population, the FUN is diving in holes and pulling it in after themselves.
We wont' see the economic impacts for weeks(While we might see the nukes fly tomorrow) but I wanted to make a point that by hell or high water my Merchant Marine was going to keep the trade following.

Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Secure Communication to all FUN and MESS members
------------------------------------------

Look, when I joined the League of Unaligned Nations and the Fungal Axis, I joined for protection, with a major nod to Shep. I knew, like everyone else did back then, that he would one day try to glass half the planet. I joined because these two alliances were the most open of the defense alliances, and I trusted them more than the others.

Time and time again, the LUN/Fungal Axis proved that they were worthy of my allegiance.
When they merged to form the FUN, I had a few petty concerns, but they were blown away by the sound policy of Shroom and PeZook. I was glad that I was in the third largest alliance in the world, because we were respected not for the power of our military, but our economic prowess and power. No one would attack us because they had bigger fish to fry, and we were not a military threat.

When the OMSK dissolved, we welcomed the new members in peace, realized we were now a major power, and began arming ourselves accordingly.

When the Shadow Empire shuddered under civil war, the FUN stepped in to restore Shady to his rightful position as God-Emperor, and the Red Technocracy poured millions into his new command-economy.

But when the UAR begins to bully people around, and the MESS asks for the FUN to stand with them in this time of crisis (which I have to question, but whatever), Shroom, a founding member of the FUN, cries like a little girl and just wants to be left alone, leaving every other member of the FUN with their hands tied. This is the last thing I expected from the FUN – to be hogtied by its founding member, after the competence he had displayed before.

We stand on the brink of disaster. We stand to either lose everything, or make this fictional world a better place by putting our foot down. Its true, we could lose it all because we put our foot down. But if we don't, if we allow the UAR to bully everyone else around because they have nukes, then we might as well join them in their warmongering and threats of violence, for all the good we do.

I do not wish this all to end, but we are at the decision-point... do we stand up to the bullies, or do we shake our head and meekly turn away?

The Republic of N'ton has a small group of well trained air-dropable troops and armor, planes to drop them from, and some light patrol boats to back them up. Let's show them that this paradise is worth fighting for.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

My merchant marine is small - I prefer contracting naval companies for bulk transport.

But yeah, the economic shock of civil defense drills and population re-transportation will be felt.

:(

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:My merchant marine is small - I prefer contracting naval companies for bulk transport.

But yeah, the economic shock of civil defense drills and population re-transportation will be felt.

:(
Trust me in a week or two if everyone gets nuked no one is going to be whooping it up more than the IRT, CEO's across the land would be breaking out the champagne because of the fact the entire world just because a exploitable resource, once that super-mutant problem has been wrapped up of course.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Trust me in a week or two if everyone gets nuked no one is going to be whooping it up more than the IRT
I will personally see to the effect that they NEVER see the light if "everyone gets nuked" by their pals in the UAR. If the UAR nukes the world, any UAR ally is an enemy.

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Coyote wrote:Shep... you have more tankers than most people have air force.
Why do you think I retired half my army and hugely slashed my Navy; and really cut back on my SSNs well before anyone did?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:Trust me in a week or two if everyone gets nuked no one is going to be whooping it up more than the IRT, CEO's across the land would be breaking out the champagne because of the fact the entire world just because a exploitable resource, once that super-mutant problem has been wrapped up of course.
Er, no, not quite. Considering the threat of massive disease outbreak from (1) the collapse of sanitation and general infrastructure and (2) the UAR's offensive bioweapons, um, we can't really do that much for some time. Trade is about to collapse, too.
Stas Bush wrote:I will personally see to the effect that they NEVER see the light if "everyone gets nuked" by their pals in the UAR. If the UAR nukes the world, any UAR ally is an enemy.
We even declared our complete neutrality in this conflict! For that matter, we have no land-attack capability right now, virtually nothing in the way of nuclear weapons, etc. Though, by all means, have fun trying to crack my air-defense if you insist.
MKSheppard wrote:Why do you think I retired half my army and hugely slashed my Navy; and really cut back on my SSNs well before anyone did?
For the precious HEU, duh.
The Yosemite Bear

Well since I'm primarily merchant airlift, and everyone has armed SAMS pointed everywhere....

on the other hand I do have the sanctuary offer going, so I may wind up with a population increase after the ashes settle....

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

phongn wrote: We even declared our complete neutrality in this conflict! For that matter, we have no land-attack capability right now, virtually nothing in the way of nuclear weapons, etc. Though, by all means, have fun trying to crack my air-defense if you insist.
Ooh ooh! Can I try?
:twisted:
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2008-06-01 11:50pm, edited 2 times in total.