SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so anyone like my multifold tactic?

a large number of code monkeys spread out all over the net, with multipal supercomputer sites at home. Oh and trying to currupt everyone with mindless entertainment, and trying to defuse the tension with MONSTER MOVIES

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:so anyone like my multifold tactic?

a large number of code monkeys spread out all over the net, with multipal supercomputer sites at home. Oh and trying to currupt everyone with mindless entertainment, and trying to defuse the tension with MONSTER MOVIES
Nah, the only thing that can save us now is Super heroes or equally heroic last minute diplomacy.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

As far as I know, it's the end of the world as we know it, and most of us feel fine.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Raj Ahten wrote:My take on what happened with Sadaamistan is that Sadaamistan didn't engage in regular dialogue with other nations, other nations with very little to go on then assumed the worst, and here we are. If everyone had just said, "Let’s just talk about what we all want," in an open fashion (especially Sadaamistan) rather than through subtleties and back room deals, shit could have been worked out.
Pretty much, yeah-- we weren't given much to work with, that's for sure. He just kinda popped out, made demands or threats, and then went back in the hole again. [shrug]
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:As far as I know, it's the end of the world as we know it, and most of us feel fine.
It was a fun game while it happened; now we just need to decide if we want to have a post-apocalyptic scenario now.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

That all depends on SAC and Saddamstain now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Bear, good frigging luck trying to hack SCORECARD.

1. Unique OS(Your hackers don't have access to, meaing they don't speak to the computer language to begin with)
2. Massive Encryption on transmissions(Even 128k Encryption takes awhile to Brute Force and you need Crays to do it, make it 512k encryption and you need quantum computers to pull it off)
3. Special Communication Gear(IE High Speed Data Links)
4. Know good locations to accept outside connections from.

If you don't speak the language, it's massively encrypted, it takes special handshake hardware and best of all, you have to be on the right part of the planet, hacking is utterly impossible.

------------------------------
And on that note I have roughly two hundred megatons spread over seven hundred and sixty eight devices and two years before the on-board station keeping thrusters run out of juice.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2008-06-02 09:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

MKSheppard wrote: Hey moron; these aren't refugee tents; but giant subterranean underground complexes that some nations have built. (I think General Deathdealer has one such huge megabunker)
I'm not talking megabunkers. I just moved my population outside of cities into refugee camps. Built with tents.

I don't actually have any megabunkers, save for one under construction which was supposed to store food.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Yosemite Bear

Mr Bean wrote:Bear, good frigging luck trying to hack SCORECARD.

1. Unique OS(Your hackers don't have access to, meaing they don't speak to the computer language to begin with)
2. Massive Encryption on transmissions(Even 128k Encryption takes awhile to Brute Force and you need Crays to do it, make it 512k encryption and you need quantum computers to pull it off)
3. Special Communication Gear(IE High Speed Data Links)
4. Know good locations to accept outside connections from.

If you don't speak the language, it's massively encrypted, it takes special handshake hardware and best of all, you have to be on the right part of the planet, hacking is utterly impossible.

------------------------------
And on that note I have roughly two hundred megatons spread over seven hundred and sixty eight devices and two years before the on-board station keeping thrusters run out of juice.
They THINK they can, and they aren't sure, they rightly suspected it existed, but they aren't sure of anything, ok it took them the better part of a year to figure out the majority of the civilian ifrastructure. yeah they don't stand a chance, but they are working on somethings..

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Speaking of bunkers, want good bunkers?
Easy, just look at this guy's design
Buy em!
Build lots of little five to fity man shelters. Were Terra Nova real and I had know Sheppard was getting his own Imperium my first budget priority would have been building these for every man, woman and child in my country. (At 4k a head thats a couple billion easy)

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well too bad for that idea that everyone instantly banded into giant illogically located power blocks
Well, too bad, because the prime instigator of powerblocks was Shep.
those power blocks then began to make all sorts of unilateral declarations and invented ‘laws’, before launching all out economic wars and sea blockades over unproven accusations
Blah blah blah. Some nations (mostly me and a few other FUN nations) blocked their straits to your shipping, and you go all-out ballistic.

Your national leadership is hardly sane, as I said earlier.
Do people not see how blatantly they have backed the Saddamistan and then the UAR into a corner?
What "corner"? The corner where you can attack anyone and anything at whim? You were always in this corner; and your "diplomatic solution" always included bullying.

YOU decided to use bioweapon bullying the first time you felt that the world might be uncomfortable with Saddamistan.

YOU now whine that people don't like you. Oooh, sorry.
How people keep asking for negotiations with nation they've openly tried to starve into submission?
Bullshit. The entier continent is smaller than Africa; plenty of water around it for national trade even if ALL nations reject Saddamistan.

And if ALL nations do, well sorry, but that's you doing something very fucking wrong.
In the long term your all intent on its economic destruction, and in the short time you might all preemptively attack at any moment. You don’t fucking do that shit to nuclear powers, but no one but Phong seems to realize that.
Phong is your collaborator and a dangerous rogue nation which exploded a nuke in the Central Sea. "Ooh". So rational, really.
Some of the planning going on its totally illogical anyway, like Stats hiding away his nuclear bombs, in other worlds as far as any otherwise would see, trying to ensure that after the world blows up he STILL has nukes to use afterwards. Not a very friendly move.
Oooh, look. What shoudl I have done instead? They would've gone to airstrips and be strapped on bombers instead - VERY FRIENDLY in the insane-world, indeed.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

"Cruise missiles" Shep? :? Did you even read his post? Gun projectiles are "cruise missiles" now? What do you lock on, anyway?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Stas Bush wrote:"Cruise missiles" Shep? :? Did you even read his post? Gun projectiles are "cruise missiles" now? What do you lock on, anyway?
Uh, Son.
The fleet had long ago left the Shinra Republic, and their 'special' TLAMS had already cleared the tubes. The rockets took off, arcing a beautiful, fiery trace across the sky, headed towards Saddeamistan, doing their best to fly low, avoid detection, and still carry out their pre-planned trajectories.

The rockets flew low, trading fuel for another advantage-- unexpectedness. The programmers knew that Canissia's few special TLAMS would be used in the event of a WMD exchange; if the rockets flew high they'd be easily targeted no matter where they were eventually headed towards. Flying low, and away from all the military installations and population centers --where the air defenses were clustered-- their unusual courses would be difficult to intercept.

True, they'd hit only a little ways inside their target countries-- both Saddamistan and Shepnukistan-- and there were only a few of the special, secondary missiles made. But a few was all that was needed.

THe missiles headed not towards factories, cities, bases, or encampments or ports-- they headed towards...open fields; pasturelands, a handful of small farm collectives and feedlots.

...and detonated, killing at most a few head of cattle, pigs, sheep, and other farm animals.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:"Cruise missiles" Shep? :? Did you even read his post? Gun projectiles are "cruise missiles" now? What do you lock on, anyway?
Sheppard edited whatever it was.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

I only just realized that he's not only hitting me with cruise missiles; but shelling me with nuclear shells. I only thought at first, from reading that the guns were slowly moving around as a sort of "OOC look, I got guns that can hit your cities"; not actually firing.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

As far as I understood, he shelled some rural lands/farms, not urban centers.

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stas Bush wrote:As far as I understood, he shelled some rural lands/farms, not urban centers.
You're not thinking like someone in the doomsday plane.

The Yosemite Bear

yup it looks like my exporting food, and accepting refuggees is going to bite me in the arse really hard soon

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

MKSheppard wrote:You're not thinking like someone in the doomsday plane.
It was always intended as a "fuck you" weapon, which can touch a fraction of the shoreline and possibly kill a lot of people if needed. It can't be used against deep-industrial targets.

Neither am I in "doomsday plane": my ships are in ports, Tu-160s and the rest of the fleet sit down on the airstrips, and no rocket launches of the SPIRAL are done.

EDIT: 300 kt is taking into advance miniaturization. After all, even in 1952 with the most primitive nuclear devices, a similar artillery piece (T-131) could shell 15 kt nukes, as I understand.

Assalti Frontali
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I don't want to be beating a dead horse Mr Bean (And the point is minor considering nuclear war is upon us), but I still think your satellite system is too complicated to have been developed in as much secret as you say without serious integration issues. All the design teams making separate parts are likely to have all sorts of problems putting it all together, especially since they don't know what the final product will be. In space projects, the tolerance for mistakes is very small. I'm reminded of the fuck up where a NASA probe crashed because one team used metric and one used American measurements. Even if your integration team can work miracles and get the bugs ironed out, that would take more time than if everyone knew what they were building; time your system didn't have as it is already operational after only a few years.

Then there is the fact of just what the hell you are telling your generals, war planners, and parliament. They would very much like to know what the strategic deterrent is, in fact your rods of god seems to be the cornerstone of your strategic defense plan. How the hell can any defense plans be made if less than 200 people know this system even exists? The General's and their staffs would have to be let in the loop; otherwise they would all resign because you have no nukes and are cutting back on the conventional forces. Then there is how you got funding for it. Your country seems to be a parliamentary Monarchy, so does the parliament not ask what all the money is being spent on, or what the nation has to defend itself from the UAR?

Finally, no security is ever as good as it is supposed to be and details of the system could be leaked accidentally.

So to sum it up, I think the amount of secrecy you say the project has is unreasonable. You'd end up with a buggy system that doesn't fit together right that couldn't have been developed in just 3 years. Also your entire doctrine would seem completely useless to most of the armed forces and parliament, as what this system is supposed to accomplish is kept ridiculously secret.

Your program could still be extremely secret, but a hell of a lot more people would have to know it exists and know its basic capabilities for your strategic planning to make any sense to even your own men.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-06-02 10:51pm, edited 3 times in total.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Couple things Shep:

1) You aren't being hit with Nukes...period. There are no nukes being fired at your country. oh sure they are aimed at you but fired...nope.

2) You still haven't answered how you went from your initial allocation of 600 fighters to 763 combatant aircraft in your OP (220 F-22s, 175 B-1Cs, 70 RB-1Ds, 72 F-14Es, 108 F-35Cs, and 18 S-3s). I ask mostly because it obivously has bearing on just how many planes you can try to either squeeze down the neck or run around the long way into 4 or 5 CVBGs and local air defenses from 3 countries.

One thing for Skimmer:

You were not in any way subject to economic penalties until AFTER you engaged in hostilities against factions on TL. Simply put the only action being taken prior to then was a cordoning off of TL from military aid by the MESS. Most of us were happy letting you be isolationist until you decided to start blowing shit up in a country the MESS had publicly stated they were going to keep weapons out of. Seriously were you just waving your dick about or was there some logic to making deliberately provacative gestures towards the MESS with no actual return on investment? I mean what the fuck did you stand to gain by pissing the MESS off when you also clearly had nothing to lose by doing what you had already been doing which was nothing?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Yosemite Bear

now, where was my infinate amout of computers and time to go with my infinate number of code monkeys.

and all I got was a Diane Fossey/Jane Goodall yuri fic and shopped porn site...

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

CmdrWilkens wrote:1) You aren't being hit with Nukes...period. There are no nukes being fired at your country. oh sure they are aimed at you but fired...nope.
Then what are those "special" TLAMS being fired at me and hitting the LeMay Forest? "Special" is a common euphemism for "nuclear".
2) You still haven't answered how you went from your initial allocation of 600 fighters to 763 combatant aircraft in your OP
I annouced well ago that I was forming up a few more fighter groups and bomber groups -- it was announced long ago, the same post where I not coincidentally cut my army a lot, and also cut my navy. I think it was for my FY2010 budget.

Aditionally, in Bakewell program report, I announced the delivery of the following B-1 aircraft:

2009: All Lot I aircraft (10 in total) were built and delivered to the Shepnukistani Air Force.

2010: All Lot II Aircraft (29 in total) will be built and delivered to the Shepnukistani Air Force etc.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I should have put this here--

Shep--

The shells from the railroad guns are nuclear capable, but I am not firing nukes into your country. I'm just hitting random hinterland to make the point that I can.

Which means that nukes could be lobbed into your mainland with ease should it come to that.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Coyote wrote:Which means that nukes could be lobbed into your mainland with ease should it come to that.
So from now on, specifically state whether a dual warhead system is either conventional or nuclear to avoid confusion.