"The Cat Came Back" Definitive version You Choose!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Which is the best?

Poll ended at 2008-07-23 01:58pm

The Muppets Version
24%
Old Canadian Version
76%

Total votes: 17

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

"The Cat Came Back" Definitive version You Choose!

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

We are all aware of the age old song "The Cat Came Back"

Recently however it has come to my attention that there is another Song... One, an old Canadian cartoon, and the other one rendered by The Muppets. BUT! Which do you consider to be the definitive version? YOU must choose!

The Muppets
old Canadian cartoon
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Canadian version is closer to what I learned.
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Canadian Version is frankly just awesome.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

They still show that on CN from time to time and I vastly prefer it over the Muppet version. It's a more interesting take on it.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
AK-047
Youngling

Post by AK-047 »

Canadian version. I have actually never heard the Muppet version before. I suspect that had I heard the Muppet one first when I was a kid, I wouldn't have liked the song.
In memory of Halogen: 2003-2006
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Neither, for there is a different and far better melody. I have never seen it dramatized to this tune, but it is what I learned at home.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Canadian cartoon version, for certain, it's the one I remember from when I was a child.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Canadian, hands down. BTW what is the name of that particular drawing style? It's surreal and very creepy, like a Russian park.
Image Image
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The one I learned around the campfire is most similar to the Canadian version, but it's also significantly different.

Old Farmer Johnson had a problem of his own:
He had an old cat that just wouldn't leave him alone.
He tried and he tried
To give that cat away,
But each time he tried it came back the next day!

Oh, the cat came back
The very next day.
The cat came back --
Thought he was a goner, but
The cat came back.
He just wouldn't stay away, away, away -
Hey, hey, hey!

Gave it to a boy, with a dollar note.
Told him to take that cat out in a boat,
tie a rock around its neck --
Weighed a hundred pounds --
Now we say our prayers for that little boy who drowned, but ...

Chorus

Gave it to a man going out west;
Told him to give it to the one he loved best.
The train jumped the track,
And then it skipped a rail.
No one survived to tell the gruesome tale, but ...

Chorus

Gave it to a man going up in a balloon,
Told him to give it to the man in the moon.
Balloon came down
Ninety miles away,
And where that man is to this day I can't say, but ...

Chorus

Old Farmer Johnson swore he'd shoot that cat on sight.
He loaded up his gun with nails and dynamite,
Waited for that cat
To come around the bend.
Ninety-seven pieces of man was all that they found, but ...

Chorus.

A-bomb fell, just the other day.
H-bomb fell in the very same way.

England went.

Russia went.

And then the U. S. A. ... .

The human race
Was destroyed
Without a trace ... .

HOWEVER

Chorus.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I chose the Canadian version, a better adaptation by a huge margin, it is likely more ingrained into popular culture and the low budget (yet well crafted) animation holds up today after twenty years.