SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

oh BTW in honor of shep, I will be showing an "Old Yeller" marathon.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Raj Ahten wrote:Mr Bean you know Alexander flew into the conference right? Or should I have him arrive presently?

A lot of people, President Raj Ahten in particlar would not be happy about you alone having your armed guards around in neutral territory, while we get none. (Not to mention gunning down Shep on the spot :shock: ).

Guess Treadstone will now become the national defense priority, given conventional systems would seem to be of little use.
Atlantis is guarded by the UKB, the Gurkha's guard the world leaders while they meet in conference(Someone has to) Each nation maintains a small garrison if they wish inside their own embassy. This includes small arms up to .50cal, MANPAD Anti-tank weaponry, and limited Anti-air weaponry. The only people manned aside from a single pistol with a two clips of ammunition is REACTION teams who are not in the meeting building itself but housed in the Sub-Basement of the buildings across the street.

More to the point my word is my bound, no head-of-state will ever be harmed while on Atlantis, Alexander has been granted that title. And most of the others have standard diplomatic immunity.

Sheppard is a special case, an convicted attempted mass-murderer and a man with a death-mark against him for crimes against humanity, the protection of Atlantis does not extend to him.

For example, in the conference room there were six Gurkha's and a tech who was un-armed. Each delegation could have brought two un-armed bodyguards into the room if they wished, few do because they trust that unless I happen to have control of their number two as my security forces have been working on two years in Shepunkstain, then I can not legally confine you without my own government having no choice but making me abdicate my throne.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr Bean wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Mr Bean you know Alexander flew into the conference right? Or should I have him arrive presently?

A lot of people, President Raj Ahten in particlar would not be happy about you alone having your armed guards around in neutral territory, while we get none. (Not to mention gunning down Shep on the spot :shock: ).

Guess Treadstone will now become the national defense priority, given conventional systems would seem to be of little use.
Atlantis is guarded by the UKB, the Gurkha's guard the world leaders while they meet in conference(Someone has to) Each nation maintains a small garrison if they wish inside their own embassy. This includes small arms up to .50cal, MANPAD Anti-tank weaponry, and limited Anti-air weaponry. The only people manned aside from a single pistol with a two clips of ammunition is REACTION teams who are not in the meeting building itself but housed in the Sub-Basement of the buildings across the street.

More to the point my word is my bound, no head-of-state will ever be harmed while on Atlantis, Alexander has been granted that title. And most of the others have standard diplomatic immunity.

Sheppard is a special case, an convicted attempted mass-murderer and a man with a death-mark against him for crimes against humanity, the protection of Atlantis does not extend to him.

For example, in the conference room there were six Gurkha's and a tech who was un-armed. Each delegation could have brought two un-armed bodyguards into the room if they wished, few do because they trust that unless I happen to have control of their number two as my security forces have been working on two years in Shepunkstain, then I can not legally confine you without my own government having no choice but making me abdicate my throne.
Thanks for explaining the rules. It might have been more diplomatic, but less of a cinematic moment (tm.) to have Shep sent back to his own nation to be killed. That way videos of his hanging could be leaked ala Sadaam Husein. You'll note Indhopal's and Alexanders responses are a bit, ah, different. :twisted:
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-06-04 12:28am, edited 1 time in total.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shep died... :cry:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Also the thought that the so called "Iron General" can some-how get a strike team into position without the express permssion and approval of a existing member-nation and signature of the Atlantis accordes is ludercious, their is no civilian traffic the week of a meeting, civilians are kicked off or moved to the other parts of the island. During the meeting the island is ringed with local Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates of the UKB and two or three other Navies(Normally Lonestar at least acting on behalf of the MESS)

There is only one airport with direct access to the diplomatic side of the island and while diplomatic pouches are immune from searches, you can't hide anything larger than a pistol or a hard-drive in one, not a whole damn AK-47. More to the point the Embassy are limited to a fix number plus a local defense group of which are integrated into outer-defense plans by local authorities. While the Gurkhas might guard the building it might be Canassia Elite Army units guarding the approaches or Mushroom Marines.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr Bean wrote:Also the thought that the so called "Iron General" can some-how get a strike team into position without the express permssion and approval of a existing member-nation and signature of the Atlantis accordes is ludercious, their is no civilian traffic the week of a meeting, civilians are kicked off or moved to the other parts of the island. During the meeting the island is ringed with local Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates of the UKB and two or three other Navies(Normally Lonestar at least acting on behalf of the MESS)

There is only one airport with direct access to the diplomatic side of the island and while diplomatic pouches are immune from searches, you can't hide anything larger than a pistol or a hard-drive in one, not a whole damn AK-47. More to the point the Embassy are limited to a fix number plus a local defense group of which are integrated into outer-defense plans by local authorities. While the Gurkhas might guard the building it might be Canassia Elite Army units guarding the approaches or Mushroom Marines.
He has ten men posing as aids that are completely unarmed, besides for maybe a ceramic or plastic blade, but are good with their hands. Their plan would be to take down a couple guards through surprise and use their guns. They are also wearing ballistic body armour under their clothes that covers as much of their bodies as possible. They came in with the Iron General on the plane, an he is sending them messages through a radio, notes, or some other method. Thats it.

Edit: I'm not trying to sneak a bunch of commandos in with full military gear, the General just showed up with a large party to look impresive and also be a backup plan of limited utility.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-06-04 01:01am, edited 4 times in total.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

ok... earlier i got a Pm about some sort of peace conferance that 'might' be held at Crossroadia....anyone know anything abut that?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Damn, Shep is dead. What happends to Neverhood now?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

ok... earlier i got a Pm about some sort of peace conferance that 'might' be held at Crossroadia....anyone know anything abut that?
The conference is done at Atlantis as usual.

The results: Shep is dead, Shepnukistan rescinds war.

Saddamistan and the FUN and MESS apparently can come to a compromise.

NOTE: the OMSK was dissolved recently, but I joined the FUN. You are a peaceful nation and you have shown the willingness to invest into joint scientific projects, some with the FUN members. Also Shroom might look kindly on your gay rights situation :D

Maybe you'd want to join the FUN? ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Shoot Omsk dssiolved? Man...

Yeah count me in FUN as well now... I just go to whatever promotes stability after all.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Raj Ahten wrote:
He has ten men posing as aids that are completely unarmed, besides for maybe a ceramic or plastic blade, but are good with their hands. Their plan would be to take down a couple guards through surprise and use their guns. They are also wearing ballistic body armour under their clothes that covers as much of their bodies as possible. They came in with the Iron General on the plane, an he is sending them messages through a radio notes, or some other method. Thats it.

Edit: I'm not trying to sneak a bunch of cammandos in with full military gear, the General just showed up with a large party to look impresive and also be a backup plan of limited utility.
Ok, so because of the two man rule they would have to fight upstairs through around sixty Gurkha's
(FYI Gurkha's have these)
Plus pistols, then they would be fighting up stairs on second floor, past various funnel check-points then hit the floor the conference is being held on(Grand meeting room is first floor, private rooms on the second, third is this upscale grand conference room where we are at, so the "aids" would be one floor down.)

However since this is a warlord rather than say Wes Foxx, you might agree my local security coordinator would have a few people stationed to watch that many people.

Just a note, again not that anything is going to happen during on my part during this conference except for that last note.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Mr Bean wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:
He has ten men posing as aids that are completely unarmed, besides for maybe a ceramic or plastic blade, but are good with their hands. Their plan would be to take down a couple guards through surprise and use their guns. They are also wearing ballistic body armour under their clothes that covers as much of their bodies as possible. They came in with the Iron General on the plane, an he is sending them messages through a radio notes, or some other method. Thats it.

Edit: I'm not trying to sneak a bunch of cammandos in with full military gear, the General just showed up with a large party to look impresive and also be a backup plan of limited utility.
Ok, so because of the two man rule they would have to fight upstairs through around sixty Gurkha's
(FYI Gurkha's have these)
Plus pistols, then they would be fighting up stairs on second floor, past various funnel check-points then hit the floor the conference is being held on(Grand meeting room is first floor, private rooms on the second, third is this upscale grand conference room where we are at, so the "aids" would be one floor down.)

However since this is a warlord rather than say Wes Foxx, you might agree my local security coordinator would have a few people stationed to watch that many people.

Just a note, again not that anything is going to happen during on my part during this conference except for that last note.
It was all about having Alexander play the game. You go in with no one, you show weakness. He is just saying you may have the power here, but I am not defenseless.

It's not like Gurkhas would necesarily be superier to Alexander's battle hardened assassins anyway :wink: (maybe they should have some 'friendly' sparring matches later.)

I doubt the Gurkhas are all just standing in the open anyway. That sort of intimidating presence may not be what you want at a diplomatic confernece. Though I would fully expect heavily armed reaction teams to boil out of access coridors if anything actually happened.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Question: Does the Atlantis Conference have live video feed to at least the other leaders in the world?
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I will sign the treaty. Where do I put my name?

I'll fly Ramsley in then. RogueIce, fly the two bickering kids from the Sultanate?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

nevermind
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2008-06-04 01:38am, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

> Does the Atlantis Conference have live video feed to at least the other leaders in the world?
Yes, as I heard many are participating via videolink.

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:Question: Does the Atlantis Conference have live video feed to at least the other leaders in the world?
Other world leaders can attend via video conference if they like but you have to send someone to attend in person. It's common curtsy.

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Good. Originally I was thinking of just watching, but I guess I can say my representative came in late.
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stas Bush wrote: Saddamistan and the FUN and MESS apparently can come to a compromise.
After ridiculous treachery and threats like that? Every rule of diplomatic relations was just broken and thrown out the window, and someone threatened a SON OF SADDAM, sent as an emissary in a show of sincerity, with a firearm. That shit isn’t going to fly. All deals are utterly dead; seriously, nothing could have more strongly proved that only raw force has any meaning for the security of Saddamistan. Nuclear ASAT tests will begin shortly.

Not to mention, what’s with the lack of world outrage over Blackadder dangling weapons of mass destruction over everyone’s head? You all went nuts over a single mostly unsubstantiated report of Saddamistani bioweapons, but you just ignore all this and go on as usual?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Sea Skimmer wrote: Not to mention, what’s with the lack of world outrage over Blackadder dangling weapons of mass destruction over everyone’s head? You all went nuts over a single mostly unsubstantiated report of Saddamistani bioweapons, but you just ignore all this and go on as usual?
As far as the game goes, and the discussions in the OOB, this is probably the first time it has been brought to public. I was hesitating to post since I have a smaller nation. But I decided to relax and just do it probably the same time you were posting :)
Member of Justice League
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stas Bush wrote: Saddamistan and the FUN and MESS apparently can come to a compromise.
After ridiculous treachery and threats like that? Every rule of diplomatic relations was just broken and thrown out the window, and someone threatened a SON OF SADDAM, sent as an emissary in a show of sincerity, with a firearm. That shit isn’t going to fly. All deals are utterly dead; seriously, nothing could have more strongly proved that only raw force has any meaning for the security of Saddamistan. Nuclear ASAT tests will begin shortly.
Huh. Who did? I don't recall....
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Adrian has left the building (and planet)! Taking with him a lot of his buddies, and every valuable thing they could carry. You can all now assume that Adrianpolis' armed forces have stood down and all hostages been released. The government will likely be petitioning a normalization of relations to pre-war status, including MESS membership, on the grounds that the former Presidente's actions were unlawful and outside the bounds of his legitimate power.

I suppose I could continue to roleplay Adrianpolis, this time sanely under the leadership of Umberto Montoya, but as I said before, a game were people actually try to avoid large scale wars is simply not for me. Maybe some other time. For now, see ya later guys, it was fun while it lasted!

If anyone wants to take the reins of my nation, go ahead, feel free to do so. You can lead however you want, even change the name, I don't care.
Last edited by Adrian Laguna on 2008-06-04 02:58am, edited 1 time in total.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

SeaSkimmer wrote: Not to mention, what’s with the lack of world outrage over Blackadder dangling weapons of mass destruction over everyone’s head? You all went nuts over a single mostly unsubstantiated report of Saddamistani bioweapons, but you just ignore all this and go on as usual?
Well, we were kinda worried about impeding atomic doom when Bean revealed this to us :P

I suspected Bean was building some sort of a space-based superweapon, but had nothing substantial.

I'll be making a statement as soon as I get PeZookia back in working order.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, if Skimmer is going to destroy those satellites, he might as well do so. Everyone is going to silently cheer while the world is rid of the tyranny of UKB.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, funny thing: I always play DefCon defensively and only strike at military sites (silos, radars, airbases).

I guess I'm just a big pansy, but this sort of play suits me :D

EDIT: This was in reply to Adrian's comment about the STGOD, BTW. No, it's not a wrong-thread post :D
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-06-04 03:18am, edited 1 time in total.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.