Into the Dead Sea [Photography]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Into the Dead Sea [Photography]

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The Dead Sea is a small body of Water, the lowest (Above-water) point on Earth, and is the saltiest body of water on Earth (There's nothing alive in the water, it's incredibly salty to the point of Stalactites of pure salt forming and the sand being covered by a hard layer of salt).
The mud as well as the water is considered therapeutic (I saw a Leper while there, and many go there for treatment), although the wholesale industrial drying of the "sea" for its salt is having notable effects on its size (It's radius has gone down by roughly half a kilometer of the past few years).

At any rate, I went there this Saturday, took some photos, avoided getting the water in my eyes (An incredibly, staggeringly painful experience which happened to me last time I was there, damn moisture), floated like a cork (Due to the density of the water, floating is incredibly easy) and got whacked over the head by a 4kg bath-towel (After it had absorbed the salty water, leaving it as heavy as a rock).
Some Photos follow :D

All the colours of the Sand/water

The water has an amazing variety of colors and blues due to the salt and composition.

I like these two just due to the pretty light reflections in the sugar-gold-brown water.

Golden water-wave

Golden brown water

Water + Footsy
My leg reflected. I like abstract water shots :D.
As I said, the mud is considered healthy, and sells for a pretty penny (Along with the salt). Of course, you can always drive for 3+ hours each way and get some for free :).

The shore. As I said, a lot of salt.

Pathway

Water
Going in/down

Sunbathing in the floating water
A woman sunbathing (Not very SFW ;))

Railwalk

Waters around the chair. An example of the varying water colours.

Me Redfoot. (The salt and rocks can cut the foot pretty easily).

floating. Behold Relaxation :D.

Back-Chair shot. I should have tried a higher contrast I think, this type of shot should be easy to do...

Muscular pose.
Look at my Pectorals! (A second after this, I dramatically swung the towel around, knocking my hat and the towel into the water, and the damn things weighed over 3 kg after due to the salt in it). (I have pics of it, but there are enough images in this thread anyway).

Floating faceclean .
Someone floating and relaxing in the waters.

Curve

Fiber spikes.
A supermarket and funky tower that presumably lights up at night.

Through the car window - the Ridge. Just a nice mountain ridge on the way back.

So, comments, thoughts, questions? :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Nice.

A probably stupid question: weren't you afraid of the camera getting wet?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:Nice.

A probably stupid question: weren't you afraid of the camera getting wet?
Incredibly so, since the salt water would permanently scratch the lens, and the salt was hard, scratchy and slippery.
However, there are few waves, since it's only from the wind, and not much wind at that (since it's surrounded by mountains), so there's no splashing.
And thanks :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

As my favorite pasttime when at the sea is floating, I'd love to visit the dead sea. Nice landscape all around.

BTW bacteria, algae and fungi still live in the water. Life can be found nearly everywhere.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Wow, those are gorgeous!

I wanna go!
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Re: Into the Dead Sea [Photography]

Post by J »

DEATH wrote:So, comments, thoughts, questions? :D
Needs more chicks. :P

Nice pictures, it looks different from what I remember, though it's been well over a decade since I was last there. The big change is I don't remember seeing any of the bright rust red sand, it was just brown or maybe golden brown back then.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Raesene wrote:As my favorite pasttime when at the sea is floating, I'd love to visit the dead sea. Nice landscape all around.

BTW bacteria, algae and fungi still live in the water. Life can be found nearly everywhere.
I thought of saying "Except for bacteria", but thought "Nah, surely it's obvious that something that lives in outer space or undersea magma vents can still exist in liquefied salt" :P .
J wrote:
DEATH wrote:So, comments, thoughts, questions? :D
Needs more chicks. :P
I'm a sucker for a request, although there are 2 pics with chicks up above. (You didn't say hot chicks :P).
Pair of cute chicks (Gave them some camera advice as a conversation starter, but further talks were derailed due to my hitting myself in the head with a salt laden towel :P).

Nice pictures, it looks different from what I remember, though it's been well over a decade since I was last there.

When were you in Israel? (PM If you want :P). It's changed quite a bit, the shore's expanded greatly due to industrialists drying up the sea for its ocean.
The big change is I don't remember seeing any of the bright rust red sand, it was just brown or maybe golden brown back then.
That's probably just the lighting, the part of the beach I was on, or due to the compact. (My DSLR is still in the crapper).
The water's looked very different depending on where you stood, the lighting and the sand beneath them, bright sapphire-blue to golden brown.
Photography
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

The water looks so clean and clear! I'm used to NE USA river water which is kinda darkish.

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Lord. The instrument of His will and the gauntlet about His fist. The tip of His spear, the edge of His sword. I am His wrath just as he is my shield. I am the bane of His foes and the woe of the treacherous. I am the end.

-Ravus Ordo Militis

"Fear and ignorance claim the unwary and the incomplete. The wise man may flinch away from their embrace if he girds his soul with the armour of contempt."