Proving BaldStar Wrong

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Darkstar, apperantly you need suspension of disbelief explained to you as well. Suapension is how to work around the impossible acts that are seen in 'Canon', in this case you are disputing a interpretation of a canon event you can't say SOD proves you right over common sense. If you can prove tthey were at warp then SOD comes in to play.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Is that Elim?
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

DarkStar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Oh my, the 'Not A Galactic Empire After All' nonsense again? Please, anyone who saw AOTC could plainly see that the Republic didn't just control the Galaxy, but several 'captured' Galactic formations nearby, similar to the Magellenic Clouds captured by our own Milky Way.
I could be a complete asshole and point out that "12 parsecs south of the Riche Maze" that Obi-Wan pointed to, and the location of Kamino that the monitor zoomed in on, would make the entire area shown by the zoomed out map something like 100 parsecs wide.

I could, but I won't. :twisted:
Ooooo, wow, the map for looking at individual stars was only 300 cubnic lightyears. That proves so much. :roll:

The map he's looking at in the library, DumbShit. Or did you watch the movie?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

DarkStar wrote:
DG_Cal_Wright wrote: In the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy Lando says that scientists have found the galaxy to be 120,000 light years across. That is officially EU source.
Contrary to the canon description of the SW galaxy as "modest-sized". In the Local Group of 40 galaxies, even excluding the dwarfs and anything else below 10,000 light-years across, the average galaxy size of the remaining 13 is 36,500 light years (an estimate which holds for larger galaxies within 20 million light years).

Some argue that the use of phrases like "halfway across the galaxy" in TPM, "outer rim" in several movies, and Han's comment that he'd been from one side of the galaxy to the other implies that the Empire probably controls a huge fraction of the galaxy. However, this is highly unlikely, given what is known of the galaxy. For instance, the planet Kamino was referred to as being "beyond the outer rim", but the map in the Jedi library clearly zoomed in to an area very close to the core, meaning that "outer rim" cannot refer to the outermost rings of the galaxy. It should be noted that I am not being unfair here . . . I apply similar reasoning to Pike's comment to the Talosians about being from "the other end of this galaxy".
What are you trying to prove? According to Lando in BFC, the galaxy is 120,000. In the Worlds of Episode I book, the chart at the beginning has a bar measurement. It clearly brings the Star Wars galaxy to a whopping 120,000 ly across. I don't know what you were trying for on that one man, but the Star Wars galaxy is HUGE.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Setesh wrote:Darkstar, apperantly you need suspension of disbelief explained to you as well. Suapension is how to work around the impossible acts that are seen in 'Canon', in this case you are disputing a interpretation of a canon event you can't say SOD proves you right over common sense. If you can prove tthey were at warp then SOD comes in to play.
Been there, done that, but you're still bitching.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

SirNitram wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Oh my, the 'Not A Galactic Empire After All' nonsense again? Please, anyone who saw AOTC could plainly see that the Republic didn't just control the Galaxy, but several 'captured' Galactic formations nearby, similar to the Magellenic Clouds captured by our own Milky Way.
I could be a complete asshole and point out that "12 parsecs south of the Riche Maze" that Obi-Wan pointed to, and the location of Kamino that the monitor zoomed in on, would make the entire area shown by the zoomed out map something like 100 parsecs wide.

I could, but I won't. :twisted:
Ooooo, wow, the map for looking at individual stars was only 300 cubnic lightyears. That proves so much. :roll:

The map he's looking at in the library, DumbShit. Or did you watch the movie?
Wow, you're dumber than I thought, and I already thought you were awfully damn dumb.

He pointed to the Riche Maze before the zoom... that is why I used the term "zoomed out".
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote: I don't know what you were trying for on that one man, but the Star Wars galaxy is HUGE.
"HUGE"... "modest-sized"... anyone else see a problem here?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

DarkStar wrote:
Setesh wrote:Darkstar, apperantly you need suspension of disbelief explained to you as well. Suapension is how to work around the impossible acts that are seen in 'Canon', in this case you are disputing a interpretation of a canon event you can't say SOD proves you right over common sense. If you can prove tthey were at warp then SOD comes in to play.
Been there, done that, but you're still bitching.
The irony.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

DarkStar wrote:Dude, we're already seeing superluminal flight by human beings, and we see it represented as a ship passing by quickly while making a whoosh sound. What the hell is wrong with you?
Hee-Haw!! Hee-Haw!!

You know, DarkStar, I really would like to understand your argument, but at this point, this is all I can hear.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

To Darkstar:
RE:Been there done that

And been shown to be wrong, you just won't accept any disenting opinion or fact.

P.S. noticed the 'warp pivot' in an earlyer part of the thread, pivoting is not the same as a banking turn.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Setesh wrote:To Darkstar:
RE:Been there done that

And been shown to be wrong, you just won't accept any disenting opinion or fact.
I accept dissenting opinions... but they are irrelevant.

I accept dissenting facts and arguments... but so far, none have been capable of demonstrating any error in my position.
P.S. noticed the 'warp pivot' in an earlyer part of the thread, pivoting is not the same as a banking turn.
Your point? They've done banking turns, too ("The Wounded"[TNG], "Treachery..."[DS9], "The Deadly Years"[TOS]).
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Wow

Post by DarkStar »

We just hit page ten, even though the third message of the thread was enough to show the stupidity of Poe's argument.

So sad.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

DarkStar wrote:Wow
We just hit page ten, even though the third message of the thread was enough to show the stupidity of Poe's argument.

So sad.
In that case, since you've made it obvious that you have no qualms in repeating yourself, I shouldn't either. :D

Hee-Haw!! Hee-Haw!!

You know, DarkStar, that's still all I can hear from you.

Give it up, DarkStar. Your whole point depended on you insisting that they should be at warp despite the creators' obvious intentions.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Give it up, DarkStar. Your whole point depended on you insisting that they should be at warp despite the creators' obvious intentions.

:lol:

Their intentions were OBVIOUSLY to show warp flight without warp stars, which they did on several occasions, you fucking idiot!

Thanks for the laugh, dumbass.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

DarkStar wrote:
DG_Cal_Wright wrote: I don't know what you were trying for on that one man, but the Star Wars galaxy is HUGE.
I see a problem. It's where your getting this 'modest sized' from? Remember the Star Wars galaxy is HUGE. In fact you said yourself large for most galaxies is only 70,000 ly right? 120,000 would be HUGE. Damnit. Someone get me a piece of construction paper and a box of crayola. I'm gonna have to draw this one out...

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

DarkStar wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Give it up, DarkStar. Your whole point depended on you insisting that they should be at warp despite the creators' obvious intentions.

Their intentions were OBVIOUSLY to show warp flight without warp stars, which they did on several occasions, you fucking idiot!

It is irrelevant what their intentions where you ignorant little dipshit! Whenever we see no warp stars, they're not at warp! Simple fact, claiming an FX gaffe is, like many people before said, not an explanation if we suspend disbelief.
Supermod
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Is the material of Darkstar's SLope Browed Skull reached the point where it's getting dense enough to generate it's own gravity?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

DarkStar wrote:

It is irrelevant what their intentions where you ignorant little dipshit! Whenever we see no warp stars, they're not at warp! Simple fact, claiming an FX gaffe is, like many people before said, not an explanation if we suspend disbelief.
Supermod
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Aww shit what was that double post? Mods please remove the double.
Supermod
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Thanks Darkstar I knew you'd be good for a laugh.

You accept dissenting opinions but they are irrelivent. ROTFLMFAO. Opinions irrelivent in a debate.

(Mike you gotta save that one on your dumb trekkie argument list.)

DS did it not occur to you that vitually your entire argument is YOUR opinion of events? An opinion aperantly not even most of your fellow trekkies don't share. (If any, I haven't seen an agrement yet from the trekkies who come here or who follow the ASVS news group.)

My Snow's art portfolio.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

DumbShit, how can we show errors in your opinions if you refuse to acknowledge the errors in your posts, instead merely telling us again that we are wrong. I think that you are the one who is not showing any errors? All that you have done since the debate started is continuously repeat "You're wrong. That's not what we know is going on, from the dialogue, and because other ships have been seen at warp without warp star effects." When someone points out a problem with that, you just repeat your basic points while occasionally altering the phrasing, a bit.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

What happens:

Enterprise cruising at warp=warp stars
Enterprise seperates=no warp stars
Enterprise starts again=warp stars

WHAT THE FUCKING HELL DO YOU THINK THAT MEANS?!
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
I see a problem. It's where your getting this 'modest sized' from? Remember the Star Wars galaxy is HUGE. In fact you said yourself large for most galaxies is only 70,000 ly right? 120,000 would be HUGE. Damnit. Someone get me a piece of construction paper and a box of crayola. I'm gonna have to draw this one out...
Oh good lord. You people only have 10 hours of canon to watch, five books to read, and the scripts if necessary... and still you don't know your own canon?

ANH Novelisation ... a map is described, "which in itself represented only a tiny fraction of this section of one modest-sized galaxy."
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
DarkStar wrote:

I never claimed an FX gaffe.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Setesh wrote:Thanks Darkstar I knew you'd be good for a laugh.

You accept dissenting opinions but they are irrelivent. ROTFLMFAO. Opinions irrelivent in a debate.

(Mike you gotta save that one on your dumb trekkie argument list.)
Opinions are irrelevant. Facts are not. Poe's opinion is that the Enterprise wasn't at warp. His opinion is irrelevant... now, if he had facts to back that up, he might get somewhere, but he doesn't, so he didn't.