SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:And the ISCA family grows.

I know Wilkonia comitted 750 thousand DWT. How much capacity can we count on from Byzantium? I estimate around 500 thousand, going off the figure of 10-20 dry docks.

Also, are you guys going to chip in to the ISCA fund? We'll use to money to design new boats, and re-invest them into smaller nation's shipyards.

To all ISCA: What do you think we should R&D now? We have the entire nuclear series done and ready to produce ; The FCS-A is also done.

How about undersea habitats and/or research submarines?
Undersea submarines for cargo... well, that will far exceed any human capabilities at the moment. Nuclear ships sound plausible but be warned that ship size will go up and get more complicated. Also, some investment required to handle nuclear vessels, not to mention the uranium supplies.

As for the commitment, yes. 10-20 standard docks capable of handling up to 8000 TEU vessels (and maybe slightly above.) The drydocks are largely standard sized so up to 600 thousand DWT depending on ship size. I could equal Wilken's commitment next year. (after the next round of shipyard construction and expansion of the yards at Nicae complete, moving Nicae up to the same level as Athens).

How much money do you want me to commit? Straight out from the Ministry of Trade & Development funds.

On platforms, I am working on a platform to launch spacecraft. If anyone is interested in joining me in building them, drop me a note. The experience gained will be useful for other projects, like oil platforms.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How much money do you want me to commit? Straight out from the Ministry of Trade & Development funds.
However much you want ; ISCA commitments are completely voluntary. The Agency can stand on its own when it comes to costs, but member donations are used for R&D of more and more awesome stuff.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:
However much you want ; ISCA commitments are completely voluntary. The Agency can stand on its own when it comes to costs, but member donations are used for R&D of more and more awesome stuff.
Let's put it down to 1 billion for the time being.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

DarthShady wrote:Sorry dude. Maybe i can buy some more from you, whats the price?
Fifty mil.

One hundred mil gives you our SUPER F-15s and F-16s.

F-15 ACTIVE

F-16 XL

The F-16 XL in particular has an OBSCENE weapons loadout!

Also, the price is relatively cheap. I mean, 100 mil is also the price of the most recent Real Life F-15s and F-16s but they don't have enlarged wings OR canards OR thrust-vectoring.

Thank goodness for those fine lads at Schrom Corp making these things really cost-effective.
To all ISCA: What do you think we should R&D now? We have the entire nuclear series done and ready to produce ; The FCS-A is also done.

Undersea habitats sound great to me.
Yes. Sealabs! Sealab 2012! :twisted:

The Captain must be a Shroomanian named Murphy!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Sure, we can do that.

How about sea-based space launch systems?
The actual space launch part seems like it'd be out of ISCA's core competencies. You could try partnering with someone for that though. Lockmart is about to start selling reusable Starbooster launch vehicles.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

If we going to try Sealab, I am going to cart a few nukes for a self-destruct device.

Why? If those damn sea creatures come along, I'm sure as hell going to make them pay for destroying my investment.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:If we going to try Sealab, I am going to cart a few nukes for a self-destruct device.

Why? If those damn sea creatures come along, I'm sure as hell going to make them pay for destroying my investment.
If we build a sealab, we could study those creatures and eventually FARM THE MOTHERFUCKING KRAKENS!

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think it's gonna be the fault of our competent and multi-racial crew of Sealabians going nuts. Particularly Shroomanian Captain Hank Murphy, or Blackadderian radio operator Jodene Sparks :lol:

Yes. Captain Murphy.

Especially if the Reds make him declare the Sealab a new communist nation.

Also, mang. Zor's building our space center, we better help him, guys! :)
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I've got those already; Crossroadia was kind enough to supply the plans. Here, have some designs.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Master_Baerne wrote: I've got those already; Crossroadia was kind enough to supply the plans. Here, have some designs.
Cool! We'll expand them, allocate funds to submersible cargo and passenger ships, slap nuclear reactors on them and then build them...for Science!

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Why waste money on something as complicated as Sea Launch when all major cosmodromes are very close to the equatorial line? ;) Though it's a good system to make faraway oceanic launches, granted.

The Zenit is Bean's horse though - he houses the "Energia" company and infrastructure, and that also means the Zenith, it's the same rocket family as Energia, derived from it's boosters. :)
Shroom wrote:Zor's building our space center, we better help him, guys!
I hereby grant $2 billion to develop launchpads for the Vulkan-Energia 175 ton superheavy booster this year on the Corona Islands Cosmodrome and in one year, I expect to see an UR-700 landing/takeoff complex. I also send engineers from Korolev who designed our Korolev Cosmodrome.

PeZook will send our Space Exploration Program to you shortly (if he hasn't already) :D It's fun working togther on space :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shroomania: Buy our Uranium! :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

HAY GUYS THIS IS SUPER SECRET K?

Or not. We'd actually LOVE to see people co-operate with the FUN in this grand endeavor.

Internal FUN document: Preliminary outline for FUN space exploration plan
FY2011 wrote: 1) Upgrade of Comona Island launch facility to handle the Vulkan boosters

2) Use of RT Soyus boosters to develop and test docking mechanisms, and launch the ALMAZ (docking systems would be necessary to construct a large space station anyway,unless you want astronauts to move supplies during EVAs Very Happy )

3) Development of various support equipment: EVA suits, life support systems, cameras, rovers

4) Development of lunar lander module

5) Development of the UR-700/LK-700 stack

6) Astronaut recruitment and training (how do we call them? FUNAUTS? Smile )

FY2012 wrote: 1) Continued development of UR-700/LK-700

2) Duration flights of the Soyuz capsules, with a goal of three astronauts for 10 days in space without problems

3) Test launch of a Vulkan from Comona Island

4) Series of test launches of the Soyuz/LM stack to test mating systems, engines, maneuvering systems in Terra Orbit

5) By end of year, a manned Soyuz lunar flyby
FY2013 wrote: 1) Duration tests of Soyuz/LM stack

2) Development of UR-700/LK-700 continues. Launch facility should be completed by now.

3) Unmanned lunar orbiters (Maybe Lonestarian?) map out the landing sites

4) First test flight of the UR-700?

5) Mission planning. Final Soyuz/LM stack tests.

6) Lunar Orbit LM test, with approach to landing site, but no landing.

7) Manned lunar landing!
Later years would see longer and longer lunar missions with the UR-700/LK-700 system, construction of space stations, unmanned missions to other planets of the system, construction of permanent habitats on Moon surface.

Total estimated costs to first moon landing? Between 40 and 70 billion, taking into account that we're ahead in developing the boosters (Americans spent 25 bil 1969 dollars on their manned program ; Half of that would be booster development, but we already have all the boosters).

As for later on? Probably 100 billion at least to achieve a permanent presence in space, with hefty fixed costs ; The main goal for post-landing exploration should be building up fuel-making infrastructure in space.

PeZookia can commit the II world workforce to the project, and modest amounts of money (since we're. you know, poor :D )

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:Why waste money on something as complicated as Sea Launch when all major cosmodromes are very close to the equatorial line? ;) Though it's a good system to make faraway oceanic launches, granted.

The Zenit is Bean's horse though - he houses the "Energia" company and infrastructure, and that also means the Zenith, it's the same rocket family as Energia, derived from it's boosters. :)
Shroom wrote:Zor's building our space center, we better help him, guys!
I hereby grant $2 billion to develop launchpads for the Vulkan-Energia 175 ton superheavy booster this year on the Corona Islands Cosmodrome and in one year, I expect to see an UR-700 landing/takeoff complex. I also send engineers from Korolev who designed our Korolev Cosmodrome.

PeZook will send our Space Exploration Program to you shortly (if he hasn't already) :D It's fun working togther on space :)
Stas, how much and what were the stats for those boosters we talked about with regards to my space sea platform launch pad?
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Now Byzantium is releasing a new cheaper ship for the rest of us. After I've already placed orders :lol: . Just what does the ship I did order from you do anyway? I basically wanted a minesweeper but if I remember properly what I got had a frigate hull.....
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Raj Ahten wrote:Now Byzantium is releasing a new cheaper ship for the rest of us. After I've already placed orders :lol: . Just what does the ship I did order from you do anyway? I basically wanted a minesweeper but if I remember properly what I got had a frigate hull.....
Er no, I sold you a Visby Corvette, the minesweeper/ASW variant for 100 million.

Yes, the frigate is cheap and suitable for small nations. :wink:
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Now Byzantium is releasing a new cheaper ship for the rest of us. After I've already placed orders :lol: . Just what does the ship I did order from you do anyway? I basically wanted a minesweeper but if I remember properly what I got had a frigate hull.....
Er no, I sold you a Visby Corvette, the minesweeper variant.

Yes, the frigate is cheap and suitable for small nations. :wink:
Alright that's what I thought. Next year I may buy one of these new vessels for a flagship.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Okay. How much should I put for this year's space project? :?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

oh and enjoy the specticle the new ships being sent out from the republic have 400 tons displacement, and hold 50 guns each, 25 to a broadside. Three masted, capable of wind, or running off DC motors. full galley, flush toilets, laundry, etc. What didn't you expect to do something?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh and enjoy the specticle the new ships being sent out from the republic have 400 tons displacement, and hold 50 guns each, 25 to a broadside. Three masted, capable of wind, or running off DC motors. full galley, flush toilets, laundry, etc. What didn't you expect to do something?
I actually suspect they have hidden 20mm autocannons to blast pirate boats out of the water :P

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you know me too well.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Pfft. My container vessels are equipped with Remote Weapon Stations, and some of them fire a laser guided hellfire missile, or RPG rounds. :D

Byzantine Law is pretty unequivocal about pirates; we simply kill them. No prisoners taken. That's mild. In the past, it was slavery.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Okay. How much should I put for this year's space project? :?
Well, if we assume the horribly overpriced version of 70 billion $$$ for the three years till 2013, this will mean 23 billion a year.

Shit. That's a fuckload of money :)

We need more sponsors. PeZookia can stretch and commit 500 million year, maybe up to a billion in FY2012. Stas comitted 2 billion for the launch pads, so we need 20.5 billion still :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

2 billion here, then. I wonder how much Bear and Crossroads can contribute :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

We need more sponsors. PeZookia can stretch and commit 500 million year, maybe up to a billion in FY2012. Stas comitted 2 billion for the launch pads, so we need 20.5 billion still Very Happy
The Shadow Empire will contribute 100 million a year. That will increase eventually. I am still rebuilding.

Shroom i want 2 SUPER F-16 and 6 F-18s.