SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Coiler wrote:Shep, are you interested in stimulating your country's damaged economy by selling me some Blackbeards? :P
He doesn't even have control over his own country, let alone his factories.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: He doesn't even have control over his own country, let alone his factories.
Darn. :(

While we're on the topic of arms purchases, Coilerburg is about to make its final arms purchase of the year.

It is interested in purchasing three Byzantium surplus Halifaxes, and also needs the following:

SAMs
Landing craft of any sort
Self-propelled artillery pieces.

Is the Byzantine Empire able to meet these demands?

Coilerburg is also interested in purchasing five Shroomanian giant railway guns.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Beowulf wrote:What's all this from the MESS members about chipping in individually for FASTA? We have an agency for this already: MESS Space Agency. It'll partner with the FUN nations for the space missions. Probably end up paying about half the cost of the missions. The MSA won't be pitching in to help with ground construction, however.
The money I spent will go through MSA as well. It's a FUN-MESS joint project, there should be some kind of "window" on both sides anyway.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Hughes Kaiser makes lots of SAMS and AMRAAMS

as for landing craft Norsemotors (I know an automobile company) Makes Templar II GEVs which are small unit transports and amphibius. Not to mention their Wing mounted Hardpoints can carry stingers.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:He doesn't even have control over his own country, let alone his factories.
:lol: I'm sorry, but are you suggesting Anacostia is an economic titan? Cause that's where Garner has holed up.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Sea Dragon is a little... dated concept; the reliability of the design of such a large single-engine rocket under ascent stress is also dubious. The engine's performance is questionable.

However, it's useful for super-large payloads that cannot be delivered by any other means, indeed.

Hmm... we need to still consider the UR-700M (750 tons LEO) design.

P.S. PeZook, your MiGs should be ready by now, just remind me how many I still owe. I'll deliver them together with the remaining Tu-160 craft for Byzantium.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-06-12 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Well, a lot of small countries can contribute in a lot of ways. New Gottland could make a space-edible version of those fish biscuits of theirs :lol:
Heh, maybe they can invent a non-crumbling biscuit or even a liquid biscuit for space use.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:He doesn't even have control over his own country, let alone his factories.
:lol: I'm sorry, but are you suggesting Anacostia is an economic titan? Cause that's where Garner has holed up.
Ok, I lost track.

Who's winning?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Coiler wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: He doesn't even have control over his own country, let alone his factories.
Darn. :(

While we're on the topic of arms purchases, Coilerburg is about to make its final arms purchase of the year.

It is interested in purchasing three Byzantium surplus Halifaxes, and also needs the following:

SAMs
Landing craft of any sort
Self-propelled artillery pieces.

Is the Byzantine Empire able to meet these demands?

Coilerburg is also interested in purchasing five Shroomanian giant railway guns.
Well, I do have landing craft of the French variety, SAMs and self-propelled (PzH-2000), and then Halifaxes...

But how the heck are you going to pay for those?
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

BTW howexactly did Coilerburg get all of the Refugees, since the BR announced that they were willing to accept any refugees beforehand, and were physically CLOSER, and didn't have a reputation for killing citizens of Shepnukistan in acts of "Piracy"?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Stas Bush wrote:Sea Dragon is a little... dated concept; the reliability of the design of such a large single-engine rocket under ascent stress is also dubious. The engine's performance is questionable.

However, it's useful for super-large payloads that cannot be delivered by any other means, indeed.

Hmm... we need to still consider the UR-700M (750 tons LEO) design.
Sea Dragon is large, but it makes up for that fact by being built to much stronger and simpler standards than most aerospace designs. The walls of the rocket are 8mm high strength stainless steel, for example. The reduction in the number of engines also increases the reliability of the rocket as a whole. UR-700M has 50 some different engines. Depending on exactly how over-engined the rocket is, failure of only one engine could doom the mission, and it's significantly more probably the an engine could fail.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Coiler did make a statement that refugees were going everywhere, and in particular, Canissian shores because, of all, we're the closest. We've made no statement about refugees one way or the other, but we are quietly picking them up and housing them safely.

I shall IC post that, in fact...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: But how the heck are you going to pay for those?
True enough, I suppose. I guess they'll have to wait.
Visitor of five museum ships.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Coiler wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: But how the heck are you going to pay for those?
True enough, I suppose. I guess they'll have to wait.
Dude your making the same mistakes a lot of us smaller guys were making at the beginning. Overspending is a bitch.

Bear, how much do your SAMS cost? I am looking to buy some soon.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Wait. Since the MESS has their own separate space agency working with FASTA rather than working in FASTA (so it's FASTA-Mess Space Agency/MSA), that means the F in FASTA can stand for Fungal!
The Yosemite Bear wrote:oh, and the LOGO for FASTA reminds me of Gallactica, so should FASTA develop any subsidiatiries how about one name FRAK
Fungal Research on Advanced Kinetics! 8)
(railguns)

Fucking A, man. I feel like I'm some sort of living, breathing internet acronym maker!

@ Darth Shady:

That's awesome.

"Watch out for overspending."

"I want moar guns."

:P

But don't worry, mang. The FUN's Joint Air and Sea Defense plan will give nations the defensive systems they need.

Your nation is surrounded by decent guys like PeZook and Vanas, so you won't have much reason to worry about.

However, dudes sitting right next to Bad Places... well, that's where our Runaway Defense Budget is going into.

We seriously need to build A LOT of highways that can be used as runways. So when World War 1 breaks out, our combined air forces can land anywhere and everywhere - forming a dispersed defense grid.

I guess we also need to start stockpiling on naval supplies in case if our ships and subs need to scatter. Damn, I better start selling nuclear engines!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I wonder why Duchies have such a hard-on for landing craft?

I mean, you're not making a forced landing anywhere without a good number of varied landing craft and air superiority. Strategic lift for fighting brushfires and such is better done with airplanes and ekranoplans, with bigger boys punching holes in people's defences.

Buying one or two LSTs is pointless, IMHO. Complete waste of money - you can have a dozen jet fighters for the same cash.

Oh, and Stas: I ordered 12 Mig-29s with modern avionics.

I will probably need missiles for them, too :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Coyote, you're so sly! First you go ponder the meaning of life with Q, and now you've got secret agent men playing hanky panky with sexy chicks! :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Actually, screw that. FASTA can be the inter-alliance one.

Shroom, you'll just have to invent a new crazy name for the FUN space program. The symbology in the FASTA logo is too good not to be used for the FUN/MESS thing. :D

Also, Bearbeards? C'mon Shroom! Blackbear missiles. :twisted:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yeah! Blackbear, brownbear, grizzly, kodiak, polar... there's lots of bear motifs!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

BTW I'll be posting the Olympic medals tomorrow!

There'll be mens & womens for the following events:

Archery
Baseball
Beach Volleyball
Biathalon
Bicycling
Boxing
Cross-Country
Gymanstics
Judo
Marathon
Soccer/Footbal
Swimming
Track & Field (jevelin, shot-put, pole vault, 100-m dash)
Wrestling
Weightlifting

--did I forget any events?

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Hey, ISCA members, remember that Canissia, after I did th emath on my shipbuilding, has about 500,000 some-odd DWTs of build capacity available for civilian builds.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:Hey, ISCA members, remember that Canissia, after I did th emath on my shipbuilding, has about 500,000 some-odd DWTs of build capacity available for civilian builds.
Which is apparently being used for the UKB. Unless you have an additional 500 thous/DWT for civvie use than what's currently up there.

In which case, you can get me my 30 FCS variants. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

PeZook wrote:I wonder why Duchies have such a hard-on for landing craft?

I mean, you're not making a forced landing anywhere without a good number of varied landing craft and air superiority. Strategic lift for fighting brushfires and such is better done with airplanes and ekranoplans, with bigger boys punching holes in people's defences.

While not a Duchy, I was looking at an LHD as a means of evacing my citizens from conflict zones (and doing forced landings to remove them at the same time).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

There should also be a rifle and/or a pistol shooting competition.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Raj Ahten wrote:There should also be a rifle and/or a pistol shooting competition.
There is the biathlon, but that's obviously not the only shooting event possible.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan