SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

MariusRoi wrote:
PeZook wrote:I wonder why Duchies have such a hard-on for landing craft?

I mean, you're not making a forced landing anywhere without a good number of varied landing craft and air superiority. Strategic lift for fighting brushfires and such is better done with airplanes and ekranoplans, with bigger boys punching holes in people's defences.

While not a Duchy, I was looking at an LHD as a means of evacing my citizens from conflict zones (and doing forced landings to remove them at the same time).
You are better off with an An-225. LHDs cannot land on the beaches. Only LSTs can.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Bah to An-225s. Get a Douglas Pelican. Available in starting in 2013 (probably).
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Beowulf wrote:Bah to An-225s. Get a Douglas Pelican. Available in starting in 2013 (probably).
What are the specs?

EDIT: BTW, I'm constructing a sealaunch platform. What rockets might you have for the task?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
MariusRoi wrote:
PeZook wrote:I wonder why Duchies have such a hard-on for landing craft?

I mean, you're not making a forced landing anywhere without a good number of varied landing craft and air superiority. Strategic lift for fighting brushfires and such is better done with airplanes and ekranoplans, with bigger boys punching holes in people's defences.

While not a Duchy, I was looking at an LHD as a means of evacing my citizens from conflict zones (and doing forced landings to remove them at the same time).
You are better off with an An-225. LHDs cannot land on the beaches. Only LSTs can.
I said I was Looking at an LHD (and some LCAC to go with it), but I'm not now. I've decided to go with my fleet of Electras and Herculeses. The Pelican might be an interesting purchase though.

Oh and I'm still waiting for my LNG tankers from Wilkinson.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Bah to An-225s. Get a Douglas Pelican. Available in starting in 2013 (probably).
What are the specs?

EDIT: BTW, I'm constructing a sealaunch platform. What rockets might you have for the task?
http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/ar ... /i_pw.html

About 1270 metric tons capacity, ginormous dimensions.

For sealaunched rockets, there's Drake, naturally enough (there's no plan to make a land launched version of that rocket). There's also Atlas Vs, Delta IIs, and Starboosters. There hasn't been much call for the mid-low range of launch vehicles, so they don't really exist. The Atlas and Delta will have to be modified for sea launch.

Someone asked earlier about upper stages. Currently, the vast majority of upper stages that the Tian Xia side of the MSA has used are RL-10 based.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: You are better off with an An-225. LHDs cannot land on the beaches. Only LSTs can.
LHDs launch air cusion landing craft which can use 80% of the worlds coastline and go miles inland before unloading. The An-225 meanwhile needs an 11,500ft runway, which means it can use maybe 1% of the world’s runways, even many large international airports cannot accommodate it. It is hardly the plane to buy if you want flexibility.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: You are better off with an An-225. LHDs cannot land on the beaches. Only LSTs can.
LHDs launch air cusion landing craft which can use 80% of the worlds coastline and go miles inland before unloading. The An-225 meanwhile needs an 11,500ft runway, which means it can use maybe 1% of the world’s runways, even many large international airports cannot accommodate it. It is hardly the plane to buy if you want flexibility.
Ok. How about the other Antonov aircraft? Do they need a similarly long runway?

I'd figure that if he wanted to evacuate his citizens, doing it through landing craft and helicopters not only takes time, it means getting near the shore which might be hostile.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Available in starting in 2013 (probably)
Get the KM-class wing in ground plane now. :lol: ~500 tons capacity, over 500 kph speed.

The Pelican would be a pain in the ass to land. It's so freaking huge that it would be even less agile than the Antonov An-225.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Ok. How about the other Antonov aircraft? Do they need a similarly long runway?
The An-225 needs a big runway because it wasn't meant to be a military transport, it just needed to haul the Soviet shuttle from one space base to another. The still huge An-124 is a bit more reasonable, it needs 10,000ft, which is relatively common for big airports. Most big runways top out at about 10,500ft, which is by deliberate design just enough for a fully loaded B747 or A380 to operate from them.

If you want the ability to land at most any airport you’ll find around the world, you need something more like an Il-76 (6,500ft), which still big enough to haul a tank, or the C-17 which by far beats out all other large transport planes for short strip operations (as little as 3,500ft of DIRT for light load takeoff).
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

FASTA soldiers on!

Should we use Altairs or the Soviet LK?

We could use both, but using a single design would make it easier for both Lonestar and us in the future. Then again, the Altair would have to fly with two people from the Soyuz, since the Soyuz can't be left in orbit by itself for long.

Unless...we modify it :D

EDIT: oh, goddammit. The Soyuz can accomodate only two people in space suits :x

We could make the mission a bit more risky and stow EVA suits in the lander only, but...well, that's pretty damn risky :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I recall that the now-defunct OMSK program had astronauts in Space? I guess we just need to go to the next stage of at least landing a probe on the moon.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I recall that the now-defunct OMSK program had astronauts in Space? I guess we just need to go to the next stage of at least landing a probe on the moon.
Yeah, but they used the SPIRAL. The SPIRAL is useless for a LOR Moon landing because it has no docking system, and little endurance without a space station to resupply it.

So we need to use the Soyuz or the Orion. Either way, there is still time to decide - the first Selene missions (1-5) will only test docking systems, so we can still change the concept.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I know most of ya'll dislike the IRT, but any thoughts on the orbital propellant station the IRT is working on?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

phongn wrote:I know most of ya'll dislike the IRT, but any thoughts on the orbital propellant station the IRT is working on?
If you read the FASTA bulletins,we contracted a feasibility study for that ;)

The thing is...it's a pretty elaborate thing, and still requires the fuel to be shipped to orbit by a rocket.

So you use one booster to launch the fuel depot. Then you launch a moon rocket, and it docks. After it leaves, you need another launch to fill the station up again.

I'm not sure it saves any money at all.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

phongn:

Um, the URL doesn't work? :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:phongn:

Um, the URL doesn't work? :P
Works just fine for me...

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh, you thought they were gone? No they're not! And the thing is, they're from Shinra! Mu-ha-ha-haaaa!

Let's hope RogueIce's Turks can handle 'em.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh, you thought they were gone? No they're not! And the thing is, they're from Shinra! Mu-ha-ha-haaaa!

Oh, this reminds me...there was supposed to be a protest.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

On that note, perhaps Shroom should go to PeZookia some time in the near future and go touring and making a big awesome speech about how despite their tininess, PeZookia has done so much to help the world.

Would help Paul's PR.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:On that note, perhaps Shroom should go to PeZookia some time in the near future and go touring and making a big awesome speech about how despite their tininess, PeZookia has done so much to help the world.

Would help Paul's PR.
You know...I'd appreciate that. Especially since people are about to start wrecking shit because they're so pissed about that 500 million donation to FASTA.

I will also need to start a marketing campaign to promote the idea :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hrm... when could we schedule that visit? Or could your protesters be suddenly surprised by a magically appearing Prime Minister Shroom the 777th?

"Holy shit! What's that nut doing here?!"
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hrm... when could we schedule that visit? Or could your protesters be suddenly surprised by a magically appearing Prime Minister Shroom the 777th?

"Holy shit! What's that nut doing here?!"
Hmm...after I'm done with RogueIce? Or we may do that in paralell, unreal-time like :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That would be TOO weird :P

Damn it, maybe I should give Shroomania some people-problems as well!

Or maybe I have successfully cowed them with shitty reality TV and celebrities who don't wear underwear :twisted: :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:That would be TOO weird :P

Damn it, maybe I should give Shroomania some people-problems as well!

Or maybe I have successfully cowed them with shitty reality TV and celebrities who don't wear underwear :twisted: :lol:
I can easily see some anti porn protests. :twisted:
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

PeZook wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh, you thought they were gone? No they're not! And the thing is, they're from Shinra! Mu-ha-ha-haaaa!

Oh, this reminds me...there was supposed to be a protest.
You know, I really should put in something about what the domestic opinion in Indhopal is overrecent events and budgets. They are more likely to feel pride over the new defence and space programs (especially the space program) as it shows Indhopal is umportant and running with the large nations.

The populace is likely to be pissed about the apparant lack of progress in terrorism investigations though.