WI B-29 in 1942?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Dark Flame wrote: Then why can't they use that magnesium to replace some of the aluminum in the body of the airplane so they can use that aluminum in the engines?
That's more or less what Consolidated did with the B-36. The problem was that in a crash, the whole airframe went up and that made getting out an interesting experience.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Stuart wrote: That's more or less what Consolidated did with the B-36. The problem was that in a crash, the whole airframe went up and that made getting out an interesting experience.
Oh. So basically if you're stuck with magnesium, there really is no good place for it to go.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Master Arachnos wrote: Could'nt the B-29 already carry 1 grandslam or 2 tallboys (altho not in the bomb-bay itself i think), or am I getting my B-29 mixed up with my B-50..
The B-29 could do that, but the mod was not made until after the war was over. The B-50 was actually tested with no less then two Grand Slams under the wings, but in this configuration it could carry very little fuel.
and instead of those nasty unreliable US engines just take the sensible appraoch and license build Napier Sabres

:wink:
The Sabre was not designed for high altitude operations, which is a lot of the reason why it makes so much power with so little weight. It had its own slew of serious problems for several years anyway, my favorite of which is the need to start the engine every two hours at night in the winter, or else the oil would clog the engines numerous very small oil lines and became impossible to clear because of wax formations. It outright ruined the engine!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956