SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Did we ever get down to define our solar system?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Did we ever get down to define our solar system?
Yeah, check the OOB thread stickied at the top of this forum. It's about halfway down on page 2, IIRC.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Coyote wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Did we ever get down to define our solar system?
Yeah, check the OOB thread stickied at the top of this forum. It's about halfway down on page 2, IIRC.
You know, I will have to compute some gravitational influences. We're gonna have some fucked up tidal effects with three different moons.

Not to mention that flying to Selene will be immensely complicated by the very fact there are so manay celestial bodies. Though I have no idea how to compute this, orbiting the moons may very well be unstable. I know that Europa only has a very narrow set of stable orbits due to Jupiter and all the other moons in the Jovian system.

New challenges for astrogators ahoy! :D

Yep. We'll need more probes, especially gravimetric ones. And a crapload of lunar satellites in various orbits.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, while everyone is racing for the moon, I thought about sending probes out. (Admittedly, it will take years to reach those planets even with a small period of ion propulsion.)

After all, there's a lot more to this universe than our moons, though they are the nearest objects of interest.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Well, while everyone is racing for the moon, I thought about sending probes out. (Admittedly, it will take years to reach those planets even with a small period of ion propulsion.)

After all, there's a lot more to this universe than our moons, though they are the nearest objects of interest.
Of course. But we need to exploit the moon to cheaply spam probes and automatic terraforming robots and colony ships and orbital factories and habitats.

:D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:
Of course. But we need to exploit the moon to cheaply spam probes and automatic terraforming robots and colony ships and orbital factories and habitats.

:D
That will take years and billions to trillions of dollars in investment. :shock:

And if we plan to go to the moons or planets, I would suggest sending probes first.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: That will take years and billions to trillions of dollars in investment. :shock:
Nobody said it would be easy. What, you're chickening out? Huh? Are ya? ;)
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: And if we plan to go to the moons or planets, I would suggest sending probes first.
That's the plan. I will post a FASTA update tomorrow, containing various contract announcements for reconeissance orbiters and landers.

And, of course, Lonestar already sent his Clementine probe. Lots of delicious data it brought in, yes!

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:Nobody said it would be easy. What, you're chickening out? Huh? Are ya? ;)

Heh, of course not. The only issue is money which, admittedly, I don't have plenty of. :oops:
PeZook wrote:That's the plan. I will post a FASTA update tomorrow, containing various contract announcements for reconeissance orbiters and landers.

And, of course, Lonestar already sent his Clementine probe. Lots of delicious data it brought in, yes!

Indeed. Of course the next issue is landing something on the moon. I have been thinking of actively funding projects that would lead to space laboratories.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Heh, of course not. The only issue is money which, admittedly, I don't have plenty of. :oops:
Industrialization is always hard. But think of the New Industrial Revolution we'd be sparking! The British couldn't even dream of the kind of things a Moon-factory could achieve.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Indeed. Of course the next issue is landing something on the moon. I have been thinking of actively funding projects that would lead to space laboratories.
The current plan is to first recon to moon, then land a Soyuz-Altair stack a few times to conduct experiments, collect samples, leave sensors, etc.

And then assemble a semi-temporary laboratory with heavy landers like the LK-700, gradually extending our presence there.

During that time, launch space stations. The first use of these habitats will be pure science, industry will come later.

Quite a bit later, in fact ;)

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Quite a bit later, in fact Wink
And on that note i would like to ask how long do these STGOD games last?

And Bear, mang, you never told me the price of your SAMS.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote: And on that note i would like to ask how long do these STGOD games last?
Sometimes a year or more.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

DarthShady wrote:And on that note i would like to ask how long do these STGOD games last?
I'd say about as long as we can maintain enough people's interest.

On the space note, while I'd be more than happy to have the Bear Republic chip in cash for our various projects, I think all manufacturing should be done in pretty much any country except theirs.

Given their Hollywood Cliche Military, I'd rather not send any of my astronauts on a mission just waiting to be a Space Disaster Movie(TM). :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

PeZook wrote:
DarthShady wrote: And on that note i would like to ask how long do these STGOD games last?
Sometimes a year or more.
Thats a long time..... :D
On the space note, while I'd be more than happy to have the Bear Republic chip in cash for our various projects, I think all manufacturing should be done in pretty much any country except theirs.

Given their Hollywood Cliche Military, I'd rather not send any of my astronauts on a mission just waiting to be a Space Disaster Movie(TM). Wink
What? I like Space Disaster Movies(TM). :lol:
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm sure the astronauts would prefer to avoid having their mission becoming "interesting", though.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Lonestar wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote: Don't you realize that Indhopal poached all your best shooters to form security Contracting outfits? That's practically all we do :P

Shut up dude. Your crappy little country and crappy little PMCs aren't even a blip on the LSR's radar. You have the GDP of the Bahamas. You are not hiring quality people.
Actually I think what happened in pistols/rifles is that my athlete tried to pull a "Chow Yun-Fat" and shot your target while holding a pistol sideways, thus disqualifing both of us. :twisted:

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

DarthShady wrote:
Quite a bit later, in fact Wink
And on that note i would like to ask how long do these STGOD games last?

And Bear, mang, you never told me the price of your SAMS.
I'm really bad at numbers, and how much can a stinger missile suite, mounted on a six wheel all terraine vehicle, with a conventional engine powering DC motors cost?

yeah, I said before, I suck at figuring out how much these things cost, and blame the senate every month that I can't figure out what the BR's budget is. (hey there's a lot of curruption to go around. :twisted: )

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I am going to kill Shroom. :twisted: *laughs evilly*

Well, not really but Elena will try. :D
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I'm really bad at numbers, and how much can a stinger missile suite, mounted on a six wheel all terraine vehicle, with a conventional engine powering DC motors cost?

yeah, I said before, I suck at figuring out how much these things cost, and blame the senate every month that I can't figure out what the BR's budget is. (hey there's a lot of curruption to go around. Twisted Evil )
Well i suck at numbers too. I hope someone can give us an estimate. :D

You should really do something about the Senate, they are getting out of control. :lol:
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Time to tie up a small loose end.....
Visitor of five museum ships.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Maybe, once every three years, the moons align and there's like a week of absolutely hellacious storms as the tides all coincide, etc.

Apart from that, if the moons are spread out, the tides will be kinda evened-pout, to an extent, and somewhat mild.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's funny how I planned our Moon Mission to have screencaps of Apollo 13. With Kevin Bacon, Tom Hanks and Lieutenant Dan.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

So, um PeZook what can the Shadow Empire do to help the space program?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote:So, um PeZook what can the Shadow Empire do to help the space program?
Basically, these things are needed:

1) Hi-tech precision manufacturing

2) Mathematicians. Lots and lot of mathematicians and data analysts and astronomers and supercomputers.

3) Money

4) Tracking station sites

5) Development

So...what is the Empire good at? :)

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

1) Hi-tech precision manufacturing
I guess we could do some manufacturing.
2) Mathematicians. Lots and lot of mathematicians and data analysts and astronomers and supercomputers.
I have some mathematicians but if you need supercomputers you need Stas.
3) Money
Noooooooooo!!!
4) Tracking station sites
We can build some of those.
5) Development
I am not quite sure what that would entail but we are willing to help. :wink:
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Does anyone know the proportion of real time to in-game time that we're using?
Visitor of five museum ships.