Need advice regarding Poem

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Need advice regarding Poem

Post by Jaepheth »

Ok, so I'm going to be doing a calligraphy piece based on a poem by Li Bai (aka Li Po).

Here is the poem and two translations as given here:

The literal translation as given to me by my father is:

Title – Sitting in the wilderness by myself.
First line – Birds flying high above the Sky
Second line – Lonely cloud floats by
Third line – Both eyes wondering (or viewing) everywhere endlessly
Fourth line – Only me and the high mountains

The version that most inspired me is the one given in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Environmental Economics):

We sit together, the mountain and I,
Until only the mountain remains.

So I'm trying to decide which version, or combination of versions I should use. I'd definitely like to use the Alpha Centauri version as it "speaks" more to me personally. I was considering using both translations in the pic as a single poem, but I don't know...

Any suggestions?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, in the second one, you have the motif of things going away: the birds, the clouds, the speaker. So if you want to keep those last two lines, then I suggest building on the second translation.

Then again, the literal translation to the English versions are kind of... not the same. So what sort of effect are you trying to get with the poem?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

It's the poem that inspired this painting

So I was wanting to write it down to accompany the painting.

I'm trying to convey a sort of peacefulness, serenity, and stillness.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The first. It's less grammatically broken and it feels more complete. I might be biased though to more simple (or to me anyway) style, but I feel the first one more then the second, if that makes any sense.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Well, I'm still leaning towards the second one which flows a lot better if you substitute the third line with the one from the game:

The birds have vanished down the sky.
Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and I,
until only the mountain remains.
Children of the Ancients
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Change "vanished down" and "cloud drains". It creates the image of a toilet or a sink, which kind of ruins the effect of the poem.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.