Songs ruined by plaguerizing hack rappers

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Songs ruined by plaguerizing hack rappers

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I'm not completely opposed to the idea of stea- I mean, "sampling" beats from existing songs on principle, but good FSM, man... L'il Wayne mauling and destroying Iron Maiden's "Fear Of The Dark" bears NO redeeming features whatsoever. He even had the stones to take the live version of the song so as to steal the crowd's chanting. This song might've even been alright if someone other than some faceless bling-flashing southern-style MC tard had been rhyming to it, but this is just... ugh.

For those of ye not faint of heart, what other similar ruined songs can you think of?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Okay, that sucked major, major league ass.

The only good thing about it is that now I'm going to listen to the version of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark that he sampled.

Along these same lines Puff Daddy's sampling of Kashmir for Come With Me is pretty bad. I don't know if it makes it better or worse but Jimmy Page performed with Puff Daddy when he did the song on SNL and in the music video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSZ9M5cHIQ

I still have no idea how that guy has ended up being rich but at least this song is better than that crap by L'il Wayne's bull shit.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Puff Daddy isn't a very good rapper, but he is a smart businessman. He knows what people want, and he gives it to them (restaurants, clothing line, apparently the best-selling perfume of all time, music label). That's his source of success. His rapping is just a vanity for him, he's really not very good.

Although, his sampling of The Police was pretty nice, for I'll Be Missing You, sampling Every Breath I Take.

Oh wait, they're supposed to suck, right? Shit, I always forget the bad ones. :)
XXXI
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

I'm just going to come right out and give that standard exampe of Ice Ice Baby and Under Preassure. You knew it was coming.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Kanye West's abominable rape of Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Fucking awful. It shouldn't count as a remix if you just slow down the chorus and add a beat or two and talk like a nonce over it.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I forget who did it, but whoever ripped off "Hardknock Life" from the movie Annie needs to be flogged.

That song was wonderfully done in the movie, all the rapper did was rip off the chorus and then talk in between. I can't even remember his addition to the song whereas I can still remember many of the original lyrics.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Jaepheth wrote:I forget who did it, but whoever ripped off "Hardknock Life" from the movie Annie needs to be flogged.

That song was wonderfully done in the movie, all the rapper did was rip off the chorus and then talk in between. I can't even remember his addition to the song whereas I can still remember many of the original lyrics.
Jay Z
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Zuul wrote:Kanye West's abominable rape of Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Fucking awful. It shouldn't count as a remix if you just slow down the chorus and add a beat or two and talk like a nonce over it.
Is it me or starting at 2:39, does it have the same bass beats used by the show intro of "How It's Made"?

It's too bad his version got 35M views because that was fucking awful.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Silver Jedi wrote:I'm just going to come right out and give that standard exampe of Ice Ice Baby and Under Preassure. You knew it was coming.
But that one makes me laugh. Especially if I watch the video, or Vanilla Ice's SNL appearance performing the song. :lol:

Then that makes me think of Jim Carey doing "White, White Baby" as Vanilla Ice on Living Color. See laughs all around. :D
Last edited by Tsyroc on 2008-06-26 03:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Phantasee wrote:Puff Daddy isn't a very good rapper, but he is a smart businessman. He knows what people want, and he gives it to them (restaurants, clothing line, apparently the best-selling perfume of all time, music label). That's his source of success. His rapping is just a vanity for him, he's really not very good.

Although, his sampling of The Police was pretty nice, for I'll Be Missing You, sampling Every Breath I Take.

Oh wait, they're supposed to suck, right? Shit, I always forget the bad ones. :)
You're good. It still sucks, just not that bad. :)
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Tsyroc wrote:Okay, that sucked major, major league ass.

The only good thing about it is that now I'm going to listen to the version of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark that he sampled.

Along these same lines Puff Daddy's sampling of Kashmir for Come With Me is pretty bad. I don't know if it makes it better or worse but Jimmy Page performed with Puff Daddy when he did the song on SNL and in the music video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSZ9M5cHIQ

I still have no idea how that guy has ended up being rich but at least this song is better than that crap by L'il Wayne's bull shit.
Not heard that song before but it really does highlight how weak a rapper Puff Daddy is, a decent MC could have made that song work (though it would still piss off Led Zep fans of course) Puff Daddy just hasn't got the ability or charisma to rap over such a strong backing.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Obviously Queen/Bowie are owed thousands of appolgies from Vanilla Ice

on the flip side of the equation
Alanis Morrisette for covering the Black Eyed Peas (has to be one of the funniest videoes ever)

Run/DMC for their use of Aerosmith (damn near made rap mainstream)

how about the most talentless bassist who can't sing, period, from the Punk era's cover of "My Way"?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

The one I keep hearing is a song that I'm unaware of the title of, but samples from The Ventures' Apache '65 and uses the line "jump on it". Every time I hear that, I keep trying to listen to Apache '65 in my head to get rid of the suck.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Zuul wrote:Kanye West's abominable rape of Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. Fucking awful. It shouldn't count as a remix if you just slow down the chorus and add a beat or two and talk like a nonce over it.
...I managed to get through about seven seconds of that before my brain threatened to simply walk out. That song (the original) was my first introduction to Daft Punk.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Scottish Ninja wrote:The one I keep hearing is a song that I'm unaware of the title of, but samples from The Ventures' Apache '65 and uses the line "jump on it". Every time I hear that, I keep trying to listen to Apache '65 in my head to get rid of the suck.
Apache (Jump On It) by the Sugarhill Gang, one of the first rap groups to get radio airplay (might have been the first, I don't remember my Black History this month :wink:) And this song is fantastic, especially at a party, because everyone remembers the episode it was played on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Which was also awesome.
XXXI
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

If only the lawsuit culture had been as prevalent in the mid-80s as it is now, rap would have been nipped in the bud right from the start.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

YT300000 wrote:If only the lawsuit culture had been as prevalent in the mid-80s as it is now, rap would have been nipped in the bud right from the start.
I was under the impression that artists who sell at least somewhat in the mainstream are at least paying royalties to the people whose work they sampled. I could be wrong though. I just thought that Vanilla Ice took a pounding for sampling "Under Pressure" without permision so there was a big backlash at the time where the original writers were taking a lot of rappers to court for sampling their stuff.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, lou reed was so happy he let people sample "Walk on the Wild Side" for free.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Tsyroc wrote:
YT300000 wrote:If only the lawsuit culture had been as prevalent in the mid-80s as it is now, rap would have been nipped in the bud right from the start.
I was under the impression that artists who sell at least somewhat in the mainstream are at least paying royalties to the people whose work they sampled. I could be wrong though. I just thought that Vanilla Ice took a pounding for sampling "Under Pressure" without permision so there was a big backlash at the time where the original writers were taking a lot of rappers to court for sampling their stuff.
Yeah, the good old Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Sound Recordings, it's pretty well-policed nowadays; although it's doable to force permission without the original artist's consent, if you pay them. Wasn't always that way, but Vanilla Ice adding one note to Under Pressure shone the spotlight on the issue more than M.C. Hammer ever did.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Doubt it, save for the rare cases where musicians have complete control of their music the owners to rights to songs are generally only interested in money and as such are very keen on them being sampled as it all means more royalties.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Two hip-hop tracks with immediately obvious samples that I really like and which generally go down well when I dj at hip-hop nights include:

Freedom of Speech by Immortal Technique (nsfw) and Blaze by Arsonists.

Also to see just how creative sampling can be just check out the amazing Grey Album by Danger Mouse.
gtg947h
Youngling

Re: Songs ruined by plaguerizing hack rappers

Post by gtg947h »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I'm not completely opposed to the idea of stea- I mean, "sampling" beats from existing songs on principle, but good FSM, man... L'il Wayne mauling and destroying Iron Maiden's "Fear Of The Dark" bears NO redeeming features whatsoever. He even had the stones to take the live version of the song so as to steal the crowd's chanting.
Bloody fucking hell... some cockmunch really did do that? I thought I'd heard it off in the distance one day back in school, but I dismissed it as my ears being messed up. Now I find out I really wasn't just making shit up... that plague-carrying, rabid, smegma-covered douchenozzle needs to be fucked up the ass with a red-hot gunbarrel drill.

Motherfucker!