NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Beginning the discussion early this year with draft talk, anybody here cheering for a team that did well?

I was surprised when the Ducks traded down in the draft, but in the process they got an additional first round pick. The Ducks traded the 12th overall pick to the Kings for the 17th overall pick and 28th overall pick, the Kings then sent Cammalleri to Calgary not long afterwards.

The Ducks then sent that 28th pick overall to Phoenix in exchange for the 35th and 39th overall selections.

Phoenix picking up Olli Joikenen though is going to be a pain in the butt though, here's hoping the Yotes use the added firepower against the Stars and the Sharks as well as us.

Admittedy I don't know much about our pick, but I've been told that the Ducks traded down expecting that Gardiner might still be availiable and that's who they might have wanted anyways in that mid-range area. Various dealings netted us a lot of good young talent and we didn't have to ship out our veterans to get there.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I am a fan of many of the picks by teams generally represented on this board. Some great young players will be coming (from this draft) into the NHL in the next few seasons. Possibly more commentary upcoming when I am actually sober.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I look forward to your analysis, especially the ramifications of that deal with LA. Does this mean Calgary is more serious about winning the NW division or is this just a show for the fans?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

17. ANAHEIM DUCKS Analysis
Jake Gardiner
D, Minnetonka HS (MN)
TSN Rank: 21 McKenzie: We talked about speed, speed and more speed. He's one of the fastest players in the draft. He just switched with from forward to defence and will learn how from a defensive coach, Mike Eaves, at the University of Wisconsin.
I missed seeing the actual pick ; after the first 10 was getting a little burned out :P Picks 1-4 seemed about as surprising as " dog bites man " but #5 was interesting , with the Leafs/Islanders swapping picks, plus 2 draft picks to the Island. The TSN crew seemed rather impressed with Luke Schenn, and from what I've read so far, this guy is a legit franchise player they are comparing to Adam Foote. Time will tell I guess.

Canadiens used their pick in the first round as part of deal to bring Alex Tanguay to Montreal from Calgary.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

A strong skating defenseman eh? Sounds familiar!

It was a pretty easy guess that the Ducks would go with a defenseman, most of us predicted that was the route Burkie would take but there wasn't a consensus on who, and it seems they've picked a good one.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

With the draft over, it now looks like it's full steam ahead for free agency, and a lot of clubs beginning the massive rebuilding projects (<cough>Leafs) :P

Leafs Buy Out Tucker

Leafs Place Wellwood, Raycroft on Waivers

Sens do what they should have done in January

And right off the wire, while posting :)
Canucks grab Wellwood off waivers

And Lightning fans, in case Stamkos isnt enough reason to cheer, looks like Vinny Lecavalier is on the verge of a massive 77 million/9 year deal. Talk about locking in your francise players :wink:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It wouldn't be Leafs management if they didn't find a way to fuck up the team. So they dumped Wellwood who is probably the best of the young players. And instead of buying out McCabe or Kubina's contract they buy out Tucker's. I suppose this could be part of a plant to tank the team and get the #1 draft pick, but they'll fuck that up too.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I wasn't surprised Wellwood never cleared waivers, as you say he is one of the better young players. Kubina and McCabe? One can only hope that the week is not over yet and the axe aint done swinging. For an 'interm' GM Fletcher sure seems to be in full "demolish & rebuild" mode. I only hope he has a clue what he's doing.

Still nothing new on the Sundin front, which I am sure that the media will flog to death as the clock counts down to July1 :wink:
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read Burak's post up a little higher.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

aerius wrote:It wouldn't be Leafs management if they didn't find a way to fuck up the team. So they dumped Wellwood who is probably the best of the young players. And instead of buying out McCabe or Kubina's contract they buy out Tucker's. I suppose this could be part of a plant to tank the team and get the #1 draft pick, but they'll fuck that up too.
I think that for Leafs fans, we might as well start the 2009/2010 discussion thread. Hoping for favourable results from 2008/2009 is just wishful thinking.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Burak Gazan wrote:I wasn't surprised Wellwood never cleared waivers, as you say he is one of the better young players. Kubina and McCabe? One can only hope that the week is not over yet and the axe aint done swinging. For an 'interm' GM Fletcher sure seems to be in full "demolish & rebuild" mode. I only hope he has a clue what he's doing.

Still nothing new on the Sundin front, which I am sure that the media will flog to death as the clock counts down to July1 :wink:
If Sundin goes to the Habs now after refusing to be traded last season how much good will would he lose?

And will anyone try to sign Ray Emery? apparently waivers wasn't good enough, so his value must have plummeted even further than I would have thought. Especially with plenty of teams just desperate for goaltending.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Burak Gazan wrote:I wasn't surprised Wellwood never cleared waivers, as you say he is one of the better young players. Kubina and McCabe? One can only hope that the week is not over yet and the axe aint done swinging. For an 'interm' GM Fletcher sure seems to be in full "demolish & rebuild" mode. I only hope he has a clue what he's doing.

If Sundin goes to the Habs now after refusing to be traded last season how much good will would he lose?

And will anyone try to sign Ray Emery? apparently waivers wasn't good enough, so his value must have plummeted even further than I would have thought. Especially with plenty of teams just desperate for goaltending.

Well, Mats won't lose any goodwill at all with me, and I suspect there are plenty fans who will also wish him well -- I'd rather he retired as opposed to playing for the Canadiens, but if thats what he has to do, so be it. Having said that, there is a sizable percentage of the so-called "leaf nation" that will be ranting and raving to no end. These are likely the same imbeciles that somehow equated Sundin not wanting to be traded (per the deal he signed..) with being responsible for the utter fuck-ups of the last 40 years. Rational thought does not enter into the equation.

As for Emory, you would have to either have not a single goalie in your organization, or want to have a splashy "colourful" netminder before signing this asshole.

Looks like Cliffy not done yet
Maple Leafs may ask McCabe to stay home

And Scott Niedermayer returning to Anaheim for next season
TSN.ca
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Burak Gazan wrote: As for Emory, you would have to either have not a single goalie in your organization, or want to have a splashy "colourful" netminder before signing this asshole.
Los Angeles, Tampa, Edmonton . Yeah Emery is a douche but he is going to be extremely discounted from what he signed for with the Sens last year, and despite the bad season has a strong playoff performance under his belt. The three teams I listed could improve their netminding by tossing a bag of french fries into the crease. Certainly there are other teams that need a strong backup was well and the last three Stanley Cup Champions have had to have strong goaltending tandems. CAR Ward/Gerber, ANA Giguere/Bryzgaloc, DET Osgood/Hasek

*(Although Cam Ward took over completely in the playoffs, but he didn't get them there)

And Scott Niedermayer returning to Anaheim for next season
TSN.ca
Well I guess I'd better start ordering playoff tickets! Hahah, yeah I know that's pretty arrogant but I just aboslutely love watching that guy play and we win games when he's with us, plain and simple.

Plus we got all four years out of him that we signed him for :D!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well I guess I'd better start ordering playoff tickets! Hahah, yeah I know that's pretty arrogant but I just aboslutely love watching that guy play and we win games when he's with us, plain and simple.

Plus we got all four years out of him that we signed him for!
Well, I wouldn't map out the parade route just yet :wink: Still, he is a good player, and having the entire season now instead of a half-year can only be better for the team

As to goalies:
Theodore to Test Free Agent Market
Now, there's a solid goalie, at least on paper - and he did have a fairly good year in Colorado. There are worse goaltenders than this to be stuck with, so I suspect he will find a home somewhere quick.

Jagr receives offer to play in Russia
Well, they have been trying to put the moves on several players, but this looks like more money than sense to me. 35 mil for 3 years? Take the money and run, since there is zero chance of you getting that sort of deal this side of the pond :P

1830 edit:
Ducks Place Bertuzzi on Waivers
This is a good move, not only freeing up cap space, but making room for younger, faster players.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Burak Gazan wrote: 1830 edit:
Ducks Place Bertuzzi on Waivers
This is a good move, not only freeing up cap space, but making room for younger, faster players.
You might as well come out and say it BB, Teemu must be leaning towards coming back if you're trying to free up that kind of cap space. Either that or re signing Perry is costing us more than we'd like. Either way it's good news. Bertuzzi had one good stretch last year and then just stopped producing.

As far as players heading to Russia, Evgeni Malkin was offered an incredible megadeal like that and turned it down to stay in the NHL, I have a feeling Jagr would do the same. The NHL is still the most elite league in the world regardless of how much the Russians are paying and I think players realize that. I'm surprised though they haven't tried to go after Sergei Fedorov, even though he's older and not the same player he used to be, I still figured he would be a big draw in Russia.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Free Agent Frenzy Tracker

Well, July 1 is here (Btw, Happy Canada Day all, in case that slips TSN's mind :P ) and the frenzy looks , well, pretty dead yet. Tampa certainly has been making some moves, but nothing really stands out -- a lot of re-signings mind you but none of the big anticipated moves has happened yet.

What was it Mackenzie said last night? Something about the day where GMs blow their brains out on deals that are somewhat, er , questionable? :)

Should be interesting, if anything big actually goes down. I'll be surprised though if Sundin is one of the names today.

1800 update: well now the action picking up :P

Tucker, Raycroft both being signed by teams, and the Leafs pick up Cujo for a 1 year deal; remember GMs and that more money than sense thing?
56.8 million to Brian Campbell to play in Chicago for 8 years :shock:
And, apparently Vancouver offered Sundin 20 million for 2 years....
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

And the Ducks have re-signed Corey Perry to a contract almost identical to the one recieved by Ryan Getzlaf. Kick ass.

Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

Well well, Marian Hossa has signed with the Red Wings for 7,5 millions for a year.

I am now cautiously optimistic about the 08-09 season.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Burak Gazan wrote:Tucker, Raycroft both being signed by teams, and the Leafs pick up Cujo for a 1 year deal; remember GMs and that more money than sense thing?
If there's one thing we can all count on, it's Leafs management screwing the pooch. Cujo will be out with a season ending injury by christmas, it's almost guaranteed.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

This Jeff Finger deal is one I just cant get my head around; 14 million bucks for 4 years? :wtf: I get that he is a pretty good defenceman, but for crying out loud, this seems way overpriced.

But the whole money thing is a seperate issue, the rumblings over the impending implosion with only 1 year left in this CBA have started already.

Mac's Commentary

And Burkie keeps taking shots at Lowe; I suspect this grudge last until one of them dead, neither seems that forgiving :P

DUCKS' BURKE BLAMES SALARY RISE ON OILERS' LOWE
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

And is he wrong? I think salaries were going to start to rise again but Loweball sure hastened it. Penner's increased salary cost the Ducks inflated the price tags for Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry by at least $1 million, and now that's $2 million per year for the next five years the Ducks will have to spend instead of being able to work on further roster improvements.

The exodus out of Pittsburgh is mind boggling to me. Gary Roberts, Adam Hall, and Ryan Malone have all signed with Tampa, Jarkko Ruutu is a Senator, Ty Conklin and Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings, and now I read George Laraque is going to Montreal. Malkin, Brooks Orpik, and Fluery were re-signed and the Pens have picked up Ruslan Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan to fill in some of their gaps.

Sean Avery is in Dallas. Fuck him, at least this means that he has to play in the Western Conference again, and there's more of a chance that he'll be beaten up.

Chicago might actually be trying to win, as evidenced by their signing of Brian Campbell.

Watch for the Ducks to try and move Mathieu Schnieder as the demand for defensemen increases. A move could happen soon if Teemu Selanne decides to return.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Because It's been such a busy freaking free agent market, here's a team by team breakdown current as of this post.
----------------------------------

ANAHEIM DUCKS:
-Re-signed Corey Perry, 5 yrs, $26.625 million

ATLANTA THRASHERS:
-Signed Ron Hainsey, 5 yrs, $22.5 million

BOSTON BRUINS:
-Signed Petteri Nokelainen, 2 yrs, $1.7million
-Signed Michael Ryder, 3 yrs, $12 million
-Signed Blake Wheeler, Entry Level Contract

BUFFALO SABRES:
-Signed Patrick Lalime, 2 yrs, $2 million
-Re-signed Paul Gaustad, 4 yrs, $9.2 million

CALGARY FLAMES:
-Re-signed Daymond Langkow, 4 years, $18 million
-Re-signed forward Craig Conroy to an undisclosed contract.
-Re-signed forward Eric Nystrom to an undisclosed contract.
-Re-signed goaltender Curtis McElhinney to an undisclosed contract.

CAROLINA HURRICANES:
-Signed Joni Pitkanen, 3 yrs, $12 million
-Signed Josef Melichar, 1 yr, $1 million
-Signed Anton Babchuk. 1 yr, $1 million

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS:
-Signed Brian Campbell, 8 yrs, $56.8 million
-Signed Cristobal Huet, 4 yrs, $22.4 million

COLORADO AVALANCHE:
-Signed Daniel Tjarnqvist, 1 yr, Unspecified Amount
-Re-signed Wojtek Wolski, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Darcy Tucker, 2 yrs, $4.5 million
-Signed Andrew Raycroft, 1 yr, $800k
-Signed John-Michael Liles, 4 yrs, $16 million
-Signed Adam Foote, Undisclosed Contract

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS:
-Signed Kristian Huselius, 4 yrs, $19 million
-Signed Mike Commodore, 5 yrs, $18.75 million

DALLAS STARS:
-Signed BJ Crombeen, 1 yr, Undisclosed
-Signed Sean Avery, 4 yrs, $15.5 million

DETROIT RED WINGS:
-Signed Marian Hossa, 1 yr, $7.4 million
-Signed Ty Conklin, 1 yr, $750k
-Re-signed Brad Stuart, 4 yrs, $15 million
-Re-signed Andreas Lilja, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount

EDMONTON OILERS:
No current transactions.

FLORIDA PANTHERS:
-Signed Cory Stillman, 3 yrs, $10.6 million

LOS ANGELES KINGS:
No current transactions.

MINNESOTA WILD:
-Signed Antti Miettinen, 3 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Re-signed Kurtis Foster, 1 yr, $1.025 million
-Signed Craig Weller, 2 yrs, $1.2 million
-Signed Andrew Brunette, 3 years, $7 million
-Signed Barry Brust, 2 yrs, $1.1 million

MONTREAL CANADIENS:
-Signed Georges Laraque, 3 yrs, $4.5 million
-Re-signed Andrei Kostitsyn, 3 yrs, $9.75 million

NASHVILLE PREDATORS:
-Re-signed Dan Ellis, 2 yrs, $3.5 million

NEW JERSEY DEVILS:
-Signed Bobby Holik, 1 yr, $2.5 million
-Signed Brian Rolston, 4 yrs, $20.25 million
-Re-signed Jay Pandolfo, 3 yrs, $7.5 million
-Re-signed David Clarkson, 2 yrs, $1.675 million
-Re-signed Barry Tallackson, Undisclosed Contract
-Re-signed Bryce Salvador, 4 yrs, $11.6 million

NEW YORK ISLANDERS:
-Signed Mark Streit, 5 yrs, $20.5 million
-Signed Doug Weight, 1 yr, $1.75 million

NEW YORK RANGERS:
-Re-signed Steve Valiquette, Undisclosed Contract
-Signed Markus Naslund, 2 yrs, $8 million
-Signed Dimitri Kalinin, 1 yr, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Wade Redden, 6 yrs, $39 million
-Re-signed Michal Rozsival, 4 yrs, $20 million
-Signed Patrick Rissmiller, Undisclosed Contract

OTTAWA SENATORS:
-Signed Jarkko Ruutu, 3 yrs, $3.9 million
-Signed Shean Donovan, 2 yrs, $1.25 million
-Signed Alex Auld, 2 yrs, $2 million
-Re-signed Chris Kelly, 4 yrs, $8.5 million

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS:
-Re-signed Randy Jones, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Re-signed Riley Cote, 3 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Nate Raduns, 1 yr, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Glen Metropolit, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Ossi Vaananen, 1 yr, $1 million

PHOENIX COYOTES:
-Signed Matt Jones, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Signed David Hale, Undisclosed Contract
-Signed Todd Fedoruk, 3 yrs, $3.175 million
-Signed Kurt Sauer, 4 yrs, $7 million

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS:
-Signed Ruslan Fedotenko, 1 yr, $2.5 million
-Signed Miroslav Satan, 1 yr, $3.5 million
-Re-signed Brooks Orpik, 6 yrs, $22.5 million
-Signed Eric Godard, 3 yrs, $2.25 million
-Re-signed Mark Eaton, 2 yrs, $4 million
-Signed Pascal Dupuis, 3 yrs, $4.2 million
-Extended Contract of Evgeni Malkin, 5 yrs, $43.5 million

SAN JOSE SHARKS:
-Signed Rob Blake, 1 yr, $5 million
-Re-signed Jody Shelley, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Re-signed Jeremy Roenick, Undisclosed Contract
-Re-signed Brian Boucher, Undisclosed Contract

ST. LOUIS BLUES:
-Re-signed Yan Stastny, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Matched Vancouver's offer sheet for David Backes, 3 yrs, $7.5 million

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING:
-Re-signed Janne Niskala, 1 yr, $600k
-Re-signed Ryan Craig, 2 yrs, $1.575 million
-Signed David Koci, 1 yr, $525k NHL or $100k Minors
-Signed Olaf Kolzig, 1 yr, $1.5 million plus bonuses
-Signed Adam Hall, 3 yrs, $1.8 million
-Signed Radim Vrbata, 3 yrs, $9 million
-Signed Vaclav Prospal, Undisclosed Contract
-Signed Gary Roberts, 1 yr, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Ryan Malone, 7 yrs, $31.5 million

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS:
-Signed Niklas Hagman, 4 yrs, $12 million
-Signed Curtis Joseph, 1 yr, $700k
-Signed Jeff Finger, 4 yrs, $14 million

VANCOUVER CANUCKS:
-Signed Curtis Sanford, 1 yr, $650k
-Signed Ryan Johnson, 2 yrs, $2.3 million
-Signed Darcy Hordichuk, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Signed Kyle Wellwood, 1 yr, $997,500

WASHINGTON CAPITALS:
-Signed Keith Aucoin, 2 yrs, Unspecified Amount
-Re-signed Mike Green, 4 yrs, $21 million
-Signed Jose Theodore. 2 yrs, $9 million

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

IF anyone here has listened to Kevin Lowe's bullshit blustering lately, especially the derogatory parts about Anaheim being a bad hockey market, and compare how our team has done better not just in the standings, but also in ticket sales lately. Fuck Kevin Lowe in the face with a stick of lit dynamite. When you run a once proud franchise in the ground and watch as they go from a Conference Champion to a place that free agents wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (read: Marian Hossa), you lose any right to criticize a GM that took one of the league's laughingstocks and made them the model of how a team should be ran in the post-lockout era.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

As far as I am concerned, both of these loudmouths need to take their constant bickering into a private room and hammer it out. It is getting incredibly boring.

EDIT: Grammar
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Hey, i've got much fewer problems with Loweball if he had just stuck to the feud with Burke, and not slandered our market while he was at it. I can't wait until Edmonton's first game at honda Center next year, because the fans are going to make those dips feel like they were in flippin' Calgary.