NHL 2008/2009 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

The exodus out of Pittsburgh is mind boggling to me. Gary Roberts, Adam Hall, and Ryan Malone have all signed with Tampa, Jarkko Ruutu is a Senator, Ty Conklin and Marian Hossa went to the Red Wings, and now I read George Laraque is going to Montreal. Malkin, Brooks Orpik, and Fluery were re-signed and the Pens have picked up Ruslan Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan to fill in some of their gaps.

None of which really hurt the team to be honest.

Malone was a huge overpayment, the guy has one 50 point season, and it happened to be when he was playing with the Art Ross runner up and in a contract year. We won't miss him, believe me. Fedotenko will fill his spot nicely.

Laraque was useless, as he never really did the job he was brought in to do. Godard will take his place and should perform the enforcer role nicely.

Ruutu I will miss, but they signed Matt Cooke to a 2 year deal, which replaces him easily.

Roberts and Hall won't be missed. Hall type players are a dime a dozen, and Roberts didn't impress in his final year here.

Conklin is still nothing more than a backup goalie. I would have liked to have kept him, but am not really sorry he's gone.

Hossa honestly was just an asshole. The Pens offered him the same deal with longer terms and he cut and run. So long motherfucker, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Satan playing with Crosby should bring back his scoring, but without the defensive game Hossa brought.

In the end, I like what Shero has done, he's guaranteed our core will be around for the next few years, and has already closed the holes which the departures made.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Atavarius wrote:Hossa honestly was just an asshole. The Pens offered him the same deal with longer terms and he cut and run. So long motherfucker, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Satan playing with Crosby should bring back his scoring, but without the defensive game Hossa brought.
How did Hossa's leaving not hurt the Pens? Not only was he the only Penguin who was effective against Detroit, but he was the best Penguin in the entire playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Sharks' D corps picked up Rob Blake and Dan Boyle for Matt Carle, Wishart, and some draft picks. Our defense, next year, will likely consist of (not totally sure of the pairings): Boyle-Vlasic, Erhoff-Murray, McLaren-Blake.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Atavarius wrote:None of which really hurt the team to be honest.

Malone was a huge overpayment, the guy has one 50 point season, and it happened to be when he was playing with the Art Ross runner up and in a contract year. We won't miss him, believe me. Fedotenko will fill his spot nicely.
Malone got more money than he was worth, but the loss of a young forward with his talent is still going to hurt, it's going to be hard to replace a guy of his talent level for the amount of money that he was being paid before.
Laraque was useless, as he never really did the job he was brought in to do. Godard will take his place and should perform the enforcer role nicely.
Laraque is ten times the enforcer Godard is. Sorry, but Laraque might be the best enforcer in the league.
Ruutu I will miss, but they signed Matt Cooke to a 2 year deal, which replaces him easily.
Agreed, they hadn't signed Cooke yet when I had made my earlier statement and if they had I would have said something similar.
Roberts and Hall won't be missed. Hall type players are a dime a dozen, and Roberts didn't impress in his final year here.
Hopefully Roberts won't be needed anymore now that there is a good amount of playoff experience on the Pens still remaining from last year's campaign.
Conklin is still nothing more than a backup goalie. I would have liked to have kept him, but am not really sorry he's gone.
If the pens still have Sabourin, then it's probably fine, but for a backup goalie making less than $1 million you can't do much better.
Hossa honestly was just an asshole. The Pens offered him the same deal with longer terms and he cut and run. So long motherfucker, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Satan playing with Crosby should bring back his scoring, but without the defensive game Hossa brought.
Edmonton was rumored to have actually offered even more money than that. But Hossa leaving definitely hurts, he was the best free agent out there and now all the Pens have to show for that trade last season is Pascal Dupuis.
In the end, I like what Shero has done, he's guaranteed our core will be around for the next few years, and has already closed the holes which the departures made.
No arguing that he has done right in keeping Crosby/Malkin/Fleury together and supplementing them with just the right pieces to keep them contending. But the 08/09 Penguins do not seem to be as talented as last year's at this point. It will be interesting to see how they rebound with the shortened offseason.

MoO,

Good Job getting Boyle, but you overpaid for Blake.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Atavarius wrote:None of which really hurt the team to be honest.

Malone got more money than he was worth, but the loss of a young forward with his talent is still going to hurt, it's going to be hard to replace a guy of his talent level for the amount of money that he was being paid before.
I think you are overestimating Malone's talent level. He can play the pk, has some grit, and will go to the net, but thats like 60% of NHL second line forwards. TB paid him like a first liner, which is too much of a risk when you look at how much Malkin elevated Malone's game.
Darth Fanboy wrote:
Laraque is ten times the enforcer Godard is. Sorry, but Laraque might be the best enforcer in the league.
Sorry, but Laraque hardly ever filled the enforcer role here. He rarely fought, never tossed the body around, and generally tried to play like he was a first line forward. I'm sorry, but when 5'11", 183lbs Tyler Kennedy is fighting, its a bad sign for the league's best "enforcer". Godard will drop them when needed and will throw the big hits around, exactly what the Pens need. Plus, 1.5m a year and a NTC is just too much for Laraque.
Darth Fanboy wrote:
If the pens still have Sabourin, then it's probably fine, but for a backup goalie making less than $1 million you can't do much better.
Sabourin is signed for another year.
Edmonton was rumored to have actually offered even more money than that. But Hossa leaving definitely hurts, he was the best free agent out there and now all the Pens have to show for that trade last season is Pascal Dupuis.
I'll agree with this and what MoO said, suppose it was my sour grapes speaking before. The Pens lost some talent, but I still think the moves that Shero has made will patch those losses nicely.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Another Outdoor Game?

Reported by Minneapolis Star/Tribune

Should be fun :)
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

(TSN)Bertuzzi returns to Canada, signs one-year deal with Flames.

Despite his baggage, I don't mind it at all. He has to play somewhere, I suppose.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Archon wrote:(TSN)Bertuzzi returns to Canada, signs one-year deal with Flames.

Despite his baggage, I don't mind it at all. He has to play somewhere, I suppose.
Good signing for Calgary, low risk high reward.

In other news, Dan Boyle blasts the Lightning:
Dan Boyle had some thunder for the Lightning last night.

Speaking to Sun Media mere hours after being officially traded to the Sharks, the ex-Tampa defenceman accused his former organization of lying to him and maintained "no matter what business you are in, this is no way to treat a person."

Though Boyle, who will turn 32 next week, is thrilled to get a chance to go to San Jose, along with teammate Brad Lukowich in exchange for defenceman Matt Carle, prospect Ty Wishart, a No. 1 pick in 2009 and a No. 4 pick in 2010, he's not the least bit pleased with new owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie.

"I'm (bleeping) pissed off," said Boyle, an Ottawa native, who is in town on vacation. "As recently as three or four days ago, I was told (he was going to be a centrepiece for the organization). I was in contact with them through the course of the summer and there was never any indications I wasn't going to be part of this.

"I'm pretty fired up here. Let me be honest: I understand it's a business and these guys are going to do it the way they want to do it. I'm okay with that. I've been traded before. But there is a way to conduct business, there's a way to respect your players and there's a way to do things. This was a complete uppercut. It came out of nowhere. I was even laughing about some of the rumours because I was pretty much told up until a few days ago they were just a joke. I was completely floored. When you're told one thing and blindsided by another, you're going to be pissed off."

Boyle said he was pushed into waiving his no-trade clause after a member of Bolts management told him if he didn't agree to a trade, he'd be put on waivers and would likely have been claimed by the Thrashers.

"There's a hundred different ways this could have gone down. I was under the impression I was a piece of the puzzle," said Boyle. "I just can't believe they'd tell me one thing and do another. (That's) where it took a turn for me, when things got personal. Business is business. My personal characteristics and my work ethic were called into question.

"I've been a top guy in ice time the last few years. They call my work ethic into question? I work out to be in the best shape possible and things about me were questioned. It got to the point where my ass was threatened to be put on waivers and I was going to be picked up by a last-place team that wouldn't win for the next six years. You tell me, is that any way to do (bleeping) business?

"That's when it turned for me. When I started being threatened, that was it for me. When it got personal, I decided I was done. I feel bad because I loved Tampa and I fought to the bitter end to stay there, but when you get threatened to be put on waivers, you have to make a decision that's best for you and your family."

Boyle revealed he did speak with the Senators and would have welcomed the opportunity to come back to Ottawa, but admitted GM Bryan Murray just didn't feel the organization could take on his six-year, $39-million US contract.

"We were in contact with Ottawa. I have nothing bad to say. It was a business decision on their part," said Boyle. "The idea of coming back home to play was attractive to me. I just wanted the chance to go to a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup and that's how I narrowed down my choices."

TALKED TO THORNTON

Boyle said San Jose captain Joe Thornton had already called to welcome him to the organization and he'd had a nice discussion with GM Doug Wilson.

"I've heard nothing but good things about Doug Wilson. I've spoken to him and Joe Thornton. It was nice to hear that Rob Blake was really excited to come to San Jose," said Boyle.

Lukowich, a 10-year NHL veteran joining his fifth team, had one goal and six assists during 59 games in his return to Tampa Bay.

"The West is a little bit more rough and tough, so I think it's good fit for me," Lukowich said. "Being on different (championship) teams and seeing how it's done, it just gives you more awareness of what it takes to win. If I can bring that knowledge from getting passed around the league to get (San Jose) over that little bubble, that's a start for me."
Emphasis mine. Does anyone else find that line as funny as I do?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Atavarius wrote: I think you are overestimating Malone's talent level. He can play the pk, has some grit, and will go to the net, but thats like 60% of NHL second line forwards. TB paid him like a first liner, which is too much of a risk when you look at how much Malkin elevated Malone's game.
I'm not overestimating his talent level, what I am saying is that it is going to be very difficult to fill his position for the price that he WAS being paid. If you want a proven second line forward, it's going to cost more than if you have a gem come up through your system.
Sorry, but Laraque hardly ever filled the enforcer role here. He rarely fought, never tossed the body around, and generally tried to play like he was a first line forward. I'm sorry, but when 5'11", 183lbs Tyler Kennedy is fighting, its a bad sign for the league's best "enforcer". Godard will drop them when needed and will throw the big hits around, exactly what the Pens need. Plus, 1.5m a year and a NTC is just too much for Laraque.
Godard is a chump, the only thing he will have going for him in Pittsburgh is that he will be in the far wimpier Eastern Conference where he will be less likely to get beat up, except for when he plays Montreal and Laraque whups him ;-)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ducks just picked up Brendan Morrison, our 2nd line Center need has been addressed.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Master of Ossus wrote:How did Hossa's leaving not hurt the Pens? Not only was he the only Penguin who was effective against Detroit, but he was the best Penguin in the entire playoffs.
Most of the time, Hossa stinks it up huge in the playoffs. For whatever reason he somehow had one good playoff season with the Pens and to be honest I sure as hell wouldn't count on another. For his salary I'm pretty sure you can sign a couple quality playoff players.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Atavarius wrote: I think you are overestimating Malone's talent level. He can play the pk, has some grit, and will go to the net, but thats like 60% of NHL second line forwards. TB paid him like a first liner, which is too much of a risk when you look at how much Malkin elevated Malone's game.
I'm not overestimating his talent level, what I am saying is that it is going to be very difficult to fill his position for the price that he WAS being paid. If you want a proven second line forward, it's going to cost more than if you have a gem come up through your system.
I see what you're saying, but I think I will refrain from calling Malone a gem :D.
Darth Fanboy wrote:
Godard is a chump, the only thing he will have going for him in Pittsburgh is that he will be in the far wimpier Eastern Conference where he will be less likely to get beat up, except for when he plays Montreal and Laraque whups him
Fair enough, I will defer to you on the Western Conference, as I don't follow it near as closely as the East. However, I am glad that we didn't give Laraque that contract :P ,
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It doesn't matter who you have as enforcer for the Pens, because when next you come to Anaheim, George Parros' moustache will eat you alive!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Good Riddance

And don't let the door hit you in the ass going through customs Ray.... :twisted:

Speaks volumes that not a single team was willing to sign him; his bullshit act is known too well now.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

EEEEEMMMMMMMMMMEEEEERRRRYYYYYYY

Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Caps signed Feds for 1 year 4 mil.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Don't know if you saw this Fanboy et al, but Burke has put an excellent statement in response to BLowehard up on the Ducks website.

Brian Burke Statement
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanks for the link, been working so much the last couple of days followed up by the computer going berserk.

When it comes to being a General Manager, comparing Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe is like comparing a A solid gold brick to a rusted out tin can.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Ted Nolan Fired

Well , this is a bit of a surprise. :?
Last edited by Burak Gazan on 2008-07-15 08:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Methinks you need to fix your link here's a better one.

Am I the only one here unsurprised by this? I know the Islanders aren't the biggest hockey draw in the NYC area but the expectations there should be higher.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

well something bad happened with IE :P

Maybe, but with Snow - a lifetime backup goalie - as the GM, I wonder what exactly goes through his mind; plus there's that whole sucking up to the owner (who aint exactly a genius) thing .

But , I do know Teddy can be a tad, well, less than diplomatic at times :wink: so who knows what went on behind the curtain.

Looking at the Fox article, they seem to be taking the view that unless the sainted DiPietro is in goal -- since he's the FRANCISE..... logic and hockey sense dont matter. Yup, sounds like a fucking moron with more money than brains behind that logic process.

Burn . Baby, Burn :twisted: I am going to love every game they lose this year
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Training Camp has begun in Anaheim!

Preseason is days away, and a new enemy (the salary cap) has surfaced its ugly head. But Teemu might be able to come back! Woo!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

*turns on the TV

Arrrggghhhh!

The 2nd topic on TSN's "The Reporters" is, you guessed it, Mats Sundin and where/when/what... :wtf:

Please, for the love of god, Mats, just announce you retiring and shut these guys up, I implore you

Looks like Pitt had Gonchar shaken up at best last night in the Tampa game, no information on how bad just yet. And Stamkos scored the winner in the shootout, nice job for the kid. Lets see how he does in a few weeks with live ammo though :wink:
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I like most of what Philadelphia's done in the off-season. Trading Umby was brilliant - he's a good kid, and was white-hot in the playoffs, but he was inconsistent during the regular season, with more than half his goals being against Pittsburgh. It looks like Briere will be moved to wing, where his defensive lapses won't be as obvious - he'll be with Richards and Gagne. Since Niittymaki's hurt, we signed Aubin to a one-year deal. The (possible) fourth line is a throwback to the BSB era - Riley Cote, Glen Metropolit, and Arron Asham. I'm still not sure who our D should be - Timonen and Coburn are obviously in, as is Jones. The last three spots have to be split between four players - Eminger, Kukkonen, Vaananen, and Parent. Stevens doesn't like Kuk's play style, so I expect Eminger, Vaananen, and Parent to get the nod.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The official beginning to the regular season kicked off in Europe today. In Prague, the New York "Jagr-meisters" faced off against the Tampa Bay "Hundred New Signings" with New York winning 2-1. Steve Stamkos is off to a decent but not splashy beginning to his career.

And up in the frozen north of Scandinavia a.k.a "The Canada of Europe", the Pittsburgh CrosbyMalkins played the Ottawa Chokes. The Chokes lived up to their reputation by blowing a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period losing in overtime. The highlight play of the game was probably Malkin's shorthanded goal. Ottawa's so called "CASH" line was far from money on defense. Spezza and Heatley were -2 and Alfie was -3. Good luck making the playoffs, although I like Mike Fischer and Marty Gerber so I really shouldn't be so cruel.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: NHL 2008/2009 Season

Post by Burak Gazan »

I saw the highlights of the Pitt game, and had to take a moment before I realized it wasn't an exhibition game.

Nice giveaway by Spezza to set up the winning goal, but these things happen. They just seem to happen to Ottawa more than others, except maybe the Leafs :P

Oh, and a Sundin sighting too, as he dropped the puck to open the season :)