A Day at the Museum...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

A Day at the Museum...

Post by TimothyC »

My Best Friend was in town today with one of his friends from College (who only show up as the top of a head in this set), and we went to the National Museum of the United States Air Force, The following are the pictures that I felt were good enough to upload.

We started in the Modern Flight Hanger. The Following is the Global Hawk - Damn that thing is big (the Wingspan is something like 20 feet longer than that of the U-2)

From there we went to the Cold War Hanger - Behold the Tail of the Mighty Peacemaker! (sorry for the blur)

I think this is a Patriot (no signage). If a fellow HABite could confirm that would be great.

From there we went to the Presidential Annex (on Base), where we went up in Ike's Plane Columbine III (VC-121E), after exiting that I took the following shots of Truman's Independence (VC-118) and FDR's Sacred Cow (VC-54C) respectively.

And a Wasp! We made a few jokes about using it to add power to my friend's Buick, not that he needs anymore power....

Moving on to the Research and Development Annex...

Who do we find but our old friends the D-21 and A-12....

And Global Hawk's Competitor the Darkstar...

And the F-107A....

The Piper PA48 (the abortive attempt to bring the P-51 into the 80's)...

Tacit Blue (A Stealth test bed - often remarked as one of the least stable planes to ever fly on anything resembling a regular basis)...

The Hiller XC-142A Tilt Wing, that right, unlike the V-22 the whole damn wing moves, greatly simplifying the whole thing...

...Then I spot her, the most beautiful plane at the Museum - the XB-70 AV.1

A look from the aft end of the plane, over a P-80

Some B-70 Skin showing the honeycomb pattern

We are Victorious! (I'm the big one)

All images were taken at 3 megapixels, so if anyone wants a wallpaper, just ask.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Good stuff. I especially approve of the D-21.

Doesn't the Tacit Blue look like something straight out of Star Trek. It wouldn't look out of place in a shuttle hangar bay. :)
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

It's about the right height (~5m) to be a Patriot.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

FSTargetDrone wrote: Doesn't the Tacit Blue look like something straight out of Star Trek. It wouldn't look out of place in a shuttle hangar bay. :)
More Like V, it reminds me more of the Visitor attack craft
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Aw, why'd they move the XB-70 to the annex? Are they working on it, or just reorganizing the modern gallery?
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

oh man, I need to dig up my pictures of the nearby flight museum and put them up...
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

I wonder how many UFO sitings the Darkstar is responsible for.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Completely agree on the Valkyrie. What a thing of beauty.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Thag wrote:Aw, why'd they move the XB-70 to the annex? Are they working on it, or just reorganizing the modern gallery?
Reorganization, they wanted most of the X-planes in one spot

When they added the Cold War Hanger, they moved moved the B-36, B-47, B-2, and assorted other planes to it, thus opening up the main hangers. The next planned hanger will be the new home of a C-5, the Presidential Wing, and a whole boat load of other planes. They want to do this so they can start work on the XC-99 in the presidential hanger, and apparently there are a lot of people that eventually want the B-36 and the XC-99 in the same hanger so they can talk to each other. ;) Right now all the Peacemaker has to talk to is the Hustler. :cry:
Last edited by TimothyC on 2008-02-20 07:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Great pictures there, especially of the B-70 :D

That F-16 in the first shot with it, looks like it could fit down one of its' intakes! :shock:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The missile is a Patriot, but given that it’s all white it’s likely a development mockup or inert ground handling training round, rather then an actual weapon they demilled. The service rounds all seem to only have white nosecones
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Pity about the blurriness of some of the pics, and that you didn't have a wider angle lense.
Some very cool aircraft :D.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.