My first Spore creature...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Resinence wrote:Umm, if your talking about skeletal animation, that's been around for a really long time now :?

Or is it something else?
It's the actual spine in the creature that you begin with. It presumably dictates in large part the way the whole creature moves, which end is the front, etc.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Less than 10 minutes with the editor:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I give you... The winged Starkian Centaur:

We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Look me up on the Sporepedia. LLJKLoomer.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
gtg947h
Youngling

Post by gtg947h »

Rhinolobster (from Armageddon)

And a Pierson's Puppeteer
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Zuul wrote:
Resinence wrote:Umm, if your talking about skeletal animation, that's been around for a really long time now :?

Or is it something else?
It's the actual spine in the creature that you begin with. It presumably dictates in large part the way the whole creature moves, which end is the front, etc.
And is there something special about this spine that it can only be done in the spore editor?
phongn wrote: It is indeed a fairly sophisticated method and also takes into account things like the skeleton of the creature, which most 3D models lack (and even if they had one, the program would probably have no idea how to interpret it)
Actually all moving characters in modern games have a skeleton. It´s been like this for quite a while now. Without a skeleton, ragdolls for example, or animation blending would be impossible.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

I think it was Half-Life that first used skeleton animation in a video game, however, there's a huge difference in playing recorded animation and actually generating that animation on the fly, even more so for that animation to be as fluid and natural as Spore's is. That has never been done before in a consumer product, at least.
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

Shogoki wrote:I think it was Half-Life that first used skeleton animation in a video game, however, there's a huge difference in playing recorded animation and actually generating that animation on the fly, even more so for that animation to be as fluid and natural as Spore's is. That has never been done before in a consumer product, at least.
It depends how they implemented it, if it is generating new animations for every skeleton layout - that's impressive. But if they are just faking it by having each limb type with it's own animation and blending them, well, that's really not that amazing.
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Resinence wrote:
Shogoki wrote:I think it was Half-Life that first used skeleton animation in a video game, however, there's a huge difference in playing recorded animation and actually generating that animation on the fly, even more so for that animation to be as fluid and natural as Spore's is. That has never been done before in a consumer product, at least.
It depends how they implemented it, if it is generating new animations for every skeleton layout - that's impressive. But if they are just faking it by having each limb type with it's own animation and blending them, well, that's really not that amazing.
IIRC it generates new ones for every layout and saves it in some small text file. Having every limb just do the same thing in slightly different positions would be extremely obvious.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

Ok, I got sick of this and just looked it up.

Spore uses a rudimentary "training" system for procedural animations, the theory has been around for quite a while but it should be the first game to use it IF it beats the indiana jones game from lucasarts out. It's pretty cool, but I don't see why people are going all *SQUEEEE* about it.
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
Odin
Redshirt

Post by Odin »

Is anyone else reminded of Monster Rancher with the art style of the creatures?
It's a pain in the ass sometimes but I like having a detachable penis...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Resinence wrote:Ok, I got sick of this and just looked it up.

Spore uses a rudimentary "training" system for procedural animations, the theory has been around for quite a while but it should be the first game to use it IF it beats the indiana jones game from lucasarts out. It's pretty cool, but I don't see why people are going all *SQUEEEE* about it.
Spore fanboys != intelligent, qualified or objective.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ah, it lets the bones learn what they´re supposed to do? That is pretty cool.

A couple of years ago i saw some software that did something like or even a bit more. It let objects evolve. The software created random objects and the objects were give a task, for example jump as high as you can. Then the object would try to find ways to jump and every once in a while evolve random new parts. if these new parts were helpful in jumping higher the new parts would stay, if the were not good for anything they´d go away again.

Unfortunately i can´t remember what that thing was called.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Guess who has been having a blast with the stand-alone Creature Editor?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I like to keep them fairly simple, especially with the amount of doodads.
By His Word...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Here's a link to mine.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Anyone remember the VGCATS Comic sometime ago about Spore Loooong before the Creature Creator came out? Seems Will Wright himself found out about it recently and made their own version.

Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

That's been up for quite awhile :P
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I might have to get this program.

Time to make the planet of the Tarrasque (and it's varities).