Behold the cute! (Non-termites in a termite colony, no 56k)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Behold the cute! (Non-termites in a termite colony, no 56k)

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

So, some of you, I have spent my time as an undergrad in a social insect lab. Well, one of my lab's collaborators works with termites (specifically Zootermopsis nevadensis) and his grad students go to central CA periodically to collect the termite nests (rotting logs)

Well, sometimes things other than termites get found in the nests. In this case, two little salamanders, Batrachoseps attenuatus, the california slender salamander. These little guys are neonates, as this species does not have a larval stage. Each one is less than a cm long. I am going to try to keep them alive as lab pets.

Photos taken courtesy of a dissection scope

GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Definitely different pets than usual :-)
How large will they be when fully grown ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

About 7.5-14 cm total.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

What exactly would salamanders be doing in a termite colony? Wouldn't they be attacked?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

nickolay1 wrote:What exactly would salamanders be doing in a termite colony? Wouldn't they be attacked?
The obvious answer is eating very tiny termites. The alternative is that mom laid her eggs inside the log, which is good and soaking wet.

If they take on the hydrocarbon profile of the colony, they might not be noticed... *shrug* how they avoided that I am not sure.

nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:The obvious answer is eating very tiny termites. The alternative is that mom laid her eggs inside the log, which is good and soaking wet.
Ah, so the termite species under study feeds on wet wood?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

nickolay1 wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:The obvious answer is eating very tiny termites. The alternative is that mom laid her eggs inside the log, which is good and soaking wet.
Ah, so the termite species under study feeds on wet wood?
Yeah, they build their colonies in it