Wars Weapons Range

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

Pretty pointless to continue this, but..

Uhm. Considering the angle of the hatch ws the TF ship, it would be impossible to hit the hatch.

Well, they did already hit it once...

It's not like they presented the whole length of the ship to fire on. Even a tiny astromech is a better target than that hole.

An easier target, yes, but a less useful one. Blowing apart droids would have been unnecessary if they had simply reduced the tech under that hatch to pieces of its former self.

I don't even think they had a line of sight at it the whole time.

Possible... but we didn't see much maneuvering by the SR-71 until it got within point-blank range of the TF ship.

-----

Ok, "impossible" wasn't meant to be taken literary, as my continued comment makes clear. Just "very unlikely". Besides, I read that the ship design was inspired by 50's hood ornaments, not the recon plane. And I fail to see the point. You said yourself that it would be easier to hit the droids repairing the shields than the hatch itself. So what if it would have been more certain to stop them if the TF hit it? Shooting the droids had better chance, thus it was a good choice.

But, for our purposes, 60km makes a decent estimate. Against the 76 meter long Naboo royal starship, that isn't too bad.

If you can show me a cap where they actually present the whole 76 metres as a target, yes.

Bah, didn't I already do enough math?

Okay, so I looked for schematics of the Naboo royal ship ... the closest I found was this:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/spacecra ... naboo1.jpg

Oh, well.

I'd guess she's 20-30 meters wide, give or take (meaning they ought to be able to shoot at the Falcon at that range).

-----
Ok, in other words, they didn't present the whole length of the ship as a target. So far so good.. (I didn't really mean you had to actually find a picture, I know what the ship looks like. Glad we could agree on something.)

Strangely, though, their accuracy didn't really improve, even when the ship got closer... perhaps due to maneuvering. (I wouldn't think jamming would be the issue, since the pilot was so insistent that it was not a military ship (thus no cloak, worthwhile weapons (if any at all), and so on).)

Of course, you can argue they were firing to stop them, but I'd say that a ship which just flew into their face should have been relatively easy to disable with a few low-power shots to the engines, and a tractor beam if available.

Erhm... the engines are at the rear of the ship. How to hit them when the ship is coming towards you? It is obvious from the dialogue that the Neimoidians were trying to capture them. The droid control ship wasn't a standard converted battleship, it is quite possible that it had no tractor beams.

The engines extend to the front, as well. Even if they could only shoot at the little cone in the back to disable the engines, this point would have been available for targeting as the ship flew past the blockading TF battleships.

-----
I still argue that they were trying to stop them. Maybe it would have been better to aim for the front of the engines. Maybe not. We don't know this. What we do know is that the TF wasn't trying to kill the Queen, only capture her.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Perhaps they were worried that a direct hit to the area beneath the hatch would have slagged the entire ship. Remember that the TF was maintaining a blockade, and was not attempting to kill the occupants of the ship. Their goal was merely to send the ship back to Naboo, where it could be re-captured. They were not trying to destroy it.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Thye wouldn't even have to slag it, simply puncturing a hol in the hull would do it. The queens ship is a pleasure yacht, not a war cruiser. Everything we saw inside it indicated a lack ou blast doors and atmospheric containment/DC backups.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

I saw the schematics for it. A yacht, but extremely well built for the era. And I mean the hyperdrive, engines, and deflector shield among others.
omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

But are not Trade Federation battery laser?

Post by omegaLancer »

I sorry but wasn't the TF ship gun lasers not turbo lasers? I cannot find my copy of ICS for TPM...
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Re: But are not Trade Federation battery laser?

Post by Ender »

omegaLancer wrote:I sorry but wasn't the TF ship gun lasers not turbo lasers? I cannot find my copy of ICS for TPM...
Suppossedly they were just quadlasrs, but compare them to the quadlasers on the Falcon or the Quadlasers on the Acclamator, and there is a world of difference.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est