Old game problem - error in german language

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Old game problem - error in german language

Post by Tolya »

I've bought a "Car Industries" game from the discount bin, for about 5$. It's a game from 2006 about... well, you know what.

The problem is, I can't get the game to launch. Everytime I go past the setup screen, a black screen pops up with an error "Kein MCI-Gerat geoffnet".

My knowledge of german is pretty basic and looking it up on google didn't really bear fruit.

Any germans here that may know what is going on?
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

It means "No MCI Device Open", which means that for some reason the game isn't detecting your sound card. If it works fine in your other programs, I'd try reinstalling the drivers and see if it helps.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Thanks. That's strange, since I never had any problems with the sound in any other game.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Thing is, I already have the newest sound drivers for my old mobo, with an onboard sound system. Any ideas?
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Are you running any other programs that might be using the sound system? On older versions of Windows, especially, some programs can tie up the sound device and make it unusable to other programs.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

No luck. I've turned off all programs that might have interfered... still nothing.

EDIT: Besides, I got Windows XP and everything else works like a charm.

EDIT2: I got an Nvidia Nforce onboard sound system
M
Redshirt

Post by M »

Tolya wrote:No luck. I've turned off all programs that might have interfered... still nothing.

EDIT: Besides, I got Windows XP and everything else works like a charm.

EDIT2: I got an Nvidia Nforce onboard sound system
A look at JoWooD's official forum suggests that you might need to reinstall the patch. Another common solution seems to be switching the MP3 standard player to Windows Media Player (and just for completeness's sake, try out the various compatibility modes).

Unfortunately, some forum messages also suggest that the game has known issues with on-board sound which were never resolved, so if that doesn't work you may be out of luck.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Jowood's official forums provide terrible support. I would suggest disabling your sound system entirely (in BIOS) and trying it then.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Guys, the problem is, that this is NOT Car Tycoon

This game's name is "Car Industries 1894-2060". Interface is very similar, the game was released in 2006 and also developed by Vectorcom (the same company that did Car Tycoon). Im guessing a sequel.
M
Redshirt

Post by M »

Tolya wrote:Guys, the problem is, that this is NOT Car Tycoon

This game's name is "Car Industries 1894-2060". Interface is very similar, the game was released in 2006 and also developed by Vectorcom (the same company that did Car Tycoon). Im guessing a sequel.
Some German reviewers I read claim it actually is the same game with cosmetic changes to the interface, minimal add-on content and a lot of the same bugs.