Underground/Illegal
14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

weemadando wrote:Who's the no.1 contender right now?
My pick is Lyoto. I think he can beat everyone at LHW, but some people find him boring so the UFC might not give him the next shot. I predict Chuck KO's Rashad and they make Chuck vs. Forrest for the title.

Let's see, I learned that Cote has better takedown defense than I thought. Props to him. Koscheck is no lay-and-pray fighter, he showed some sick ground-and-pound and almost became the first guy to finish Lytle.

In a prelim fight, Bucholz had an amazing come from behind victory. He was getting dominated on the feet, eventually pulled guard only to get his guard passed by Hill. Then all of a sudden he kicked off the fence to escape from side control, jumped on Hill's back and slapped on the choke!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The biggest surprise of the night for me:

Gurgel losing. And not by TKO/KO. So, now - it turns out that he sucks on his feet and is sloppy/over-confident on the ground. What an awesome combo!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

MMA Junkie wrote:Details and exclusive photos of Quinton Jackson's alleged felony hit and run
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 15, 2008 at 10:44 pm ET
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this evening, former UFC light heavyweight Quinton Jackson has been arrested in California and faces felony hit-and-run charges after allegedly attempting to flee police.

The Costa Mesa Police Department has released additional details regarding the series of events leading to Jackson's arrest.

According to a press release, "Rampage" ignored an officer's directions to pull over and continued "weaving in and out of traffic" while forcing "pedestrians to flee for their lives" as he continued "running several red lights."

Jackson, who was allegedly driving a large pick-up truck that's adorned with his own image, continued operating the vehicle even after a tire rubber disintegrated underneath it (see exclusive photos below), according to the release.

The full release states:

A Motor Officer was monitoring traffic at the intersection of Newport Blvd and Broadway. He saw Jackson driving [south] bound weaving in and out of traffic, with a flat front left tire (and) speaking on his cell phone. The Motor Officer activated his lights and siren and initiated a traffic stop. Jackson ignored the Motor Officer and continued south bound on 17th weaving in and out of traffic to avoid being stopped.

Jackson drove over the raised center portion of the roadway at Cabrillo Ave. He lost control and drove up onto the sidewalk causing pedestrians to flee for their lives. Jackson regained control and continued southbound in the northbound lanes of Newport Blvd. As he crossed through the intersection with 17th St, he collided with a vehicle legally in the intersection. Jackson continued south bound on Newport Blvd running several red lights. The rubber from his left tire began to disintegrate at the PCH overpass. Jackson continued southbound onto the Balboa Peninsula running several more red lights, causing pedestrians to flee in terror. Jackson’s vehicle finally came to a stop at 18th St and Newport Blvd in the city of Newport Beach. Jackson was taken into custody by Costa Mesa Officers without incident.

Jackson was transported to the Costa Mesa City Jail and booked for; Felony Evading, Reckless Driving and Hit and Run. He was transported to the Orange County Jail and is being held in lieu of a $25,000.00 bail.

Prior to Motor Officer Barnes actions, Jackson had been involved in two separate collisions on the south bound 55 FWY. The CHP is taking those reports.

Jackson is a former Ultimate Fighting Champion title holder and fought under the name Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

According to Costa Mesa Police Lieutenant Paul Dondero, neither drugs nor alcohol are suspected to have played a role in today's events. Jackson was being held on $25,000 bail, though as we reported earlier today, UFC President Dana White is already in California with plans to bail him out of jail.

For more on the story, check out our initial report: Quinton Jackson arrested, facing felony hit-and-run charge in California.
The arrest.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Looks like he's going to take another 9 months off after all. Dana should terminate his contract, but instead he's bailing him out of jail? Fuck that. Let him sit in jail.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Well, I guess that answers the question of why they call him "Rampage".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I know it pisses me off that Dana takes a private jet out to LA to bail him out, especially after the speech to Jesse Taylor about responsibility.

And if he gets a felony conviction, there goes any chance of him getting licensed to fight in a good many states.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

No drugs or alcohol involved, so he's still pissed from losing? Don't want to know how he is when drunk or high.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Rumour is some kind of psychological issue. Not sure what to make of that.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Affliction BANNED results, courtesy of 411mania:

1. Paul Buentello vs. Gary Goodridge: Buentello via unanimous decision (Aleksandr Emelianenko failed to meet licensing requirements and so was replaced.)
2. Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin: Belfort via KO in R2 (flying knee)
3. Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao: Lindland via unanimous decision
4. Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead: Sobral via unanimous decision (Apparently at the end of R3 there's an audience cameo by WWE's Undertaker, a known MMA fan who in a recent storyline basically choked his way through the SmackDown! roster via gogoplata)
5. Savant Young vs. Mark Hominick: Hominick via submission in R2 (armbar) (Donald Trump was sitting next to Tito Ortiz before R1)
6. Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo: Barnett via KO in R2 (left punch)
7. Ben Rothwell vs. Andrei Arlovski: Arlovski via KO in R3 (right punch)
8. Fedor (or Fyodor) Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia: FEDOR via submission in R1 (rear naked choke)

At 36 seconds into the main event, Sylvia taps and we have our new *ahem* WAMMA Heavyweight Champion...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Affliction sucked for the most part. Megadeth was...yeah. I could've lived without it. I will say, however, the second half of the card was really pretty good. Young Vs. Hominick was the first really entertaining longish fight, Barnett (Once you get past his jiggliness) did put on a good show and seriously, SERIOUSLY demolished Rizzo, also, his post-fight with Big John was pretty funny. (Yeah, okay, fatty, we get it, you're a badass, now shut the fuck up.)

Andrei Arlovski - could this guy look any more like Leonidas? (Hint: No) Rothwell was completely outclassed. Arlovski was in better shape, he was faster, smarter, hit harder, he was really the total package and totally dominated. Rothwell didn't capitalize on some key opportunities in round 2, and he was rewarded with what was probably the most beautful flying knee I've ever seen. After that it was over for Rothwell. Beginning in round 3, he was not the same person. I think that he probably should have gone down from the knee but was "Saved" by the bell.

Fedor vs. Sylvia: What can you say? Sylvia got rocked. Though I still maintain that, as tough as he is, had he not slipped (and he DID slip, make no mistake) we would've been looking at a 3 round fight easy.

Oh. Also Anderson Silva was un-fucking real. That fight was just...wow. I mean, you could not have SCRIPTED that fight better. it was beautiful, I mean, it was....like....like watching the Mona Lisa being painted. Only in less than a minute, and also The Mona Lisa Beat the shit out of Leonardo DaVinci.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

... so, how about that Dewees, huh? :lol:

P.S. Thoughts on Josh Barnett being the most likely first challenger for the WAMMA heavyweight belt whether or not Couture gets a good court ruling against UFC?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Edward Yee wrote:... so, how about that Dewees, huh? :lol:

P.S. Thoughts on Josh Barnett being the most likely first challenger for the WAMMA heavyweight belt whether or not Couture gets a good court ruling against UFC?

No Chance. Did you hear the crowd when Fedor said "Coture"? They'll milk that excitement for all it's worth. Barnett would get completely ruled by Milanenko, anyway, unless he tightens up his Jujitsu by several orders of magnitude. Milianenko relaly is the total package at the moment.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Chardok wrote:Andrei Arlovski - could this guy look any more like Leonidas? (Hint: No) Rothwell was completely outclassed. Arlovski was in better shape, he was faster, smarter, hit harder, he was really the total package and totally dominated. Rothwell didn't capitalize on some key opportunities in round 2, and he was rewarded with what was probably the most beautful flying knee I've ever seen. After that it was over for Rothwell. Beginning in round 3, he was not the same person. I think that he probably should have gone down from the knee but was "Saved" by the bell.
It was awesome to see Arlovski go back to his old ways of unloading on his victims and just beating the shit out of them. The guy has mad power and incredible speed for a heavyweight, but ever since his loss to Tim Sylvia he's been way too tentative. It's good to see him with his killer instincts back. Check out his fight with "Cabbage" in the UFC, that's the Arlovski I like and he's back.
Fedor vs. Sylvia: What can you say? Sylvia got rocked. Though I still maintain that, as tough as he is, had he not slipped (and he DID slip, make no mistake) we would've been looking at a 3 round fight easy.
I have the fight on DVR, Timmy didn't slip, he was dropped on his ass fair & square. Fedor got him with a nice uppercut and unloaded with headshots, the last one nailed Sylvia right on the ear and dropped him flat on his face. He had no chance against The Russian Experiment, Fedor is basically Andrei Arlovski cranked up to "11", and then some. You know he's a complete badass when you see the guy playing cards like it's nothing before the fight.
Oh. Also Anderson Silva was un-fucking real. That fight was just...wow. I mean, you could not have SCRIPTED that fight better. it was beautiful, I mean, it was....like....like watching the Mona Lisa being painted. Only in less than a minute, and also The Mona Lisa Beat the shit out of Leonardo DaVinci.
What did you expect, Anderson Silva is the reincarnation of Bruce Lee.

Also, this is why you don't leg kick guys named Silva from Brazil, Keith Jardine did it to Wanderlei and got his head punched silly, and Irvin got his head punched off after trying to leg kick Anderson. Anderson has ridiculous speed, accuracy, and power, he hit the guy so fast that I thought for second that Irvin had slipped after getting his leg caught, hell, even in the slow motion replay it still looked fast. And check out this fight in Cage Rage, where Anderson wastes the guy in style.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Ericxihn
Youngling

Post by Ericxihn »

aerius wrote:
Also, this is why you don't leg kick guys named Silva from Brazil
Doesn't that eliminate about half the Portuguese speaking population?
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Well, Silva and Fedor both destroyed their opponents. It's funny, the commentators from both events were saying "See? This proves our fighter is #1!" So, who's the best pound-for-pound? Anderson or Fedor?

If they're doing Randy vs. Fedor next, I also want Arlovski vs. Barnett. :)
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

To me, Barnet = Jigglypuff. No More babyface assassin.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Chardok wrote:No Chance. Did you hear the crowd when Fedor said "Coture"? They'll milk that excitement for all it's worth. Barnett would get completely ruled by Milanenko, anyway, unless he tightens up his Jujitsu by several orders of magnitude. Milianenko relaly is the total package at the moment.
And if Couture doesn't get that ruling in his favor... then what?

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

aerius wrote:I have the fight on DVR,
That must be nice. I set them both (UFC FN and Affliction) to DVR because I had a birthday BBQ to go to. So, I go home and Affliction isn't recording. Comcast said some shit about "Some PPVs have copyright protection to stop you from DVRing them." After about 5 minutes of bitching and trying to explain that I was given no warning about that, I finally just hung up.

So, I got another big "fuck you" from Comcast. I'll be setting up for Dish (or something else) this week.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

GSP dishes out another beatdown, but the fight was a lot closer than I thought it would be. Jon Fitch was quite a bit faster and lighter on his feet than he's been in previous fights, before he was a strong but rather sluggish guy but whatever he did in his training it sure as hell worked. He's also a tough motherfucker with remarkable recovery ability, he ate some brutal punches and knees without getting knocked silly, he went down but he still managed to keep his head and fight through without getting finished. Fortunately, the UFC doesn't use Pride rules or he would've been soccer kicked and kneed in the head when he was down, man, I miss Pride, where you can soccer kick, knee, and stomp people in the head when they're down.

I still see room for improvement in GSP's skills, he could've defended better when Fitch reversed him and put him on his back, he seemed too passive and took too many punches when he was down. His jujitsu could've used some work too, he shouldn't have lost position on Fitch in the first place when he was trying to choke him out, and he should've softened him up more with punches & elbows before going for the choke. He could also add more muay thai to his striking, there were several good chances for slamming Fitch with knees which he missed, instead of trying to kick Fitch when he was against the fence and wobbly, a nice Anderson Silva style flying knee would've done more damage and setup a clinch for more knees. GSP did a good job and got the win, but I'd like to see him continue to improve and beat the shit out of even more people.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

BJ vs. GSP!!! Hope they make it 5 rounds!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

BJ Penn will get his ass kicked if GSP keeps training hard and improving the way he has since his loss to Serra.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

GSP vs. BJ = most skill in the cage and the same time.

But, I'd take GSP by decision. I don't see him being able to finish BJ.

On the other hand, say BJ manages to win. How would that stack him up against Silva and Fedor on the pound-for-pound question? I think it would buoy him up to #1.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Any thoughts on Lesnar? The impression I got from play-by-play reading was "whooped Herring bad in standup and with takedowns, basically dominating (at least for position) but couldn't finish him."

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Edward Yee wrote:Any thoughts on Lesnar? The impression I got from play-by-play reading was "whooped Herring bad in standup and with takedowns, basically dominating (at least for position) but couldn't finish him."
If you consider sitting on a guy for 3 rounds sure. He got in one good stand up punch then couldn't do a thing on the ground. Might have gone for that though to prove he can dominate a veteran. He held him down and off so he couldn't do a thing but didn't do much himself either.
Last edited by Meest on 2008-08-13 09:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Well to be fair, Herring kept turtling up so Lesnar couldn't get any good punches on him. Lesnar never attempted to put his hooks in (Fedor did the same when he fought Herring), and instead just rode him and punched whenever the opportunity arose. Herring was bloody and exhausted by the end, so I'd say it was a good performance by Lesnar given it's only his third fight.

Standing, the only significant moment was Lesnar's knock down punch which was just like the one he hit Mir with. I think it's more to do with the fact that his opponents are not expecting him to punch, they are expecting him to to shoot.