SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Zor wrote:Island Nation and well away from Shepistan or Japanistan.
Don't worry. You'll be reachable with my B-56As refuelled from KC-22s(An-22s). :D
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So, where is me? :? I just returned from my travels. Apparently there's a lot of info to digest.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stas Bush wrote:So, where is me? :? I just returned from my travels. Apparently there's a lot of info to digest.
You can stay where Russia is and fit the rest of us in. :P

Check out the map thread by the way.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I can imagine Stas coming back from his trip, seeing we've managed to produce sixty pages of preparation, and slamming his head on the desk, wondering why it was that he volunteered to make the map :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:I can imagine Stas coming back from his trip, seeing we've managed to produce sixty pages of preparation, and slamming his head on the desk, wondering why it was that he volunteered to make the map :P
Never mind that there's some history thread to read just to get an idea on the mess we made. :lol:
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Posted my OOB, which will be completed later. I borrowed some from Coyote's post on his auxiliaries.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Give yourselves some shitholes to make things interesting! :)

(Like the US Midwest.)
The problem is we're fitting three Imperiums (me, Wilkens, and Beowulf), two Kingdoms (Steve and Yenchin...I didn't know he was going to be here but Wilkens said he was) and a Principality (MariusRoi). That's quite a bit already.

Plus, given that the three Imperiums are allied, it's highly unlikely third world "problem" shitholes (aka, places to "keep things interesting") would really exist, as we would have dealt with them awhile ago (especially since we largely stayed away from the Old Continent's troubles). The player nations, so long as Steve and MariusRoi aren't creating a bunch of problems in our backyard, would have stuck around because were not total dicks.

Originally, we were going to have the Alaska area as our NPC nation but MariusRoi wants that, so that idea is out.

I suppose our history would have had me, Wilkens, and Beo slowly expanding outward, absorbing various areas as our own, until we bump up against Steve and Marius, who give us a reason to stop expanding (maybe they just read the writing on the wall and decided to play nice? I dunno).

Not sure where Yenchin would fit. I suppose he could be Hawaii scaled up as a Kingdom?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:Not sure where Yenchin would fit. I suppose he could be Hawaii scaled up as a Kingdom?
I thought Yenchin was Taiwan?
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I thought Yenchin was Taiwan?
I don't really know. Yenchin being on the "Fourth Continent" with us was a surprise to me when Wilkens mentioned it. I didn't really know he'd planned on that.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what he says.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I thought Yenchin was Taiwan?
I don't really know. Yenchin being on the "Fourth Continent" with us was a surprise to me when Wilkens mentioned it. I didn't really know he'd planned on that.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what he says.
Well I'm an island and I set up my history of having not much contact/influence because when I was writing it most of the players either already had a lot of history or none. I guess you could think of me as having a longer distance from the continent (yeah it sounds like Hawaii and Taiwan...what I had in mind was kind of like a mish-mash of Chinese exile/refugee history)

So the way I handled it was that pre-20th Century at most we were accepting immigrants and constantly sent scholars to learn from you guys. Post-20th there was this one final war I had with the <empire> and I received some support from you guys which eventually led me to join the MESS, I left a lot of vague stuff so hopefully it wouldn't mess up what you're doing too much and still fit in quite well.

(And with all the NPCs I guess the <empire> will just blow up, sink in the sea...whatever :P)
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

List of Nations of Fresquesue
1. Corporate Republic of San Dorado (Siegetank)
2. Costa de las Cinco Muertes (NPC)
3. Tanstaafl Raj (NPC)
4. Untamed Wilderness
5. The Sovereign Duchy of Baerne (Master_Baerne)
7. The Kingdom of Vineyards (Karmic Knight)
8. The Federated Republic of Eutopia (NPC)
9. People's Republic of South Freresque (NPC)
10. Imperial Estates Of Westchester (Czechmate)
11. Unknown Country (Ford Prefect)
14. Coilerburg (Coiler)
15. Indhopal (Raj Ahten)
16. Minoy (NPC)

edit: Who is currently in the FTO?
I know Raj, Siege and myself are, is anyone else?
Last edited by Karmic Knight on 2008-08-18 05:13pm, edited 5 times in total.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

'Imperial Estates Of Westchester' is actually the appropriate full name. Good job anyhow.

Do the blank spaces need name suggestions?
tiny friendly crab.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I can already see learning the geography of this world will be one hell of a pain :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

What's the FTO?
tiny friendly crab.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Czechmate wrote:'The Imperial Estates Of Westchester' is actually the appropriate full name. Good job anyhow.

Do the blank spaces need name suggetsions?
The Blank Spaces are nameless territories that the population of Frequesue needs to name and provide the backgrounds for.
PeZook wrote:I can already see learning the geography of this world will be one hell of a pain :P
Regional Politics > Global Politics.
Czechmate wrote:What's the FTO?
Frequesuan Treaty Organization, an organization that strives to keep foreign powers out of Frequesue.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:List of Nations of Fresquesue
Excellent; for the record, I hadn't intended # 4 as a real nation but rather as a big tangle of really nasty jungle that no-one thusfar has managed to tame to any appreciable degree.
Czechmate wrote:What's the FTO?
The Frequesuan Treaty Organization; it's an alliance whose purpose is to keep the Great Powers from meddling in the affairs of our wee continent (and more specifically the affairs of its member nations). So far its members are Raj, Karmic and myself, but we're open to others.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SiegeTank wrote: Excellent; for the record, I hadn't intended # 4 as a real nation but rather as a big tangle of really nasty jungle that no-one thusfar has managed to tame to any appreciable degree.
So, should I put it as, "Untamed Wilderness?"
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Hm. This appeals to me. Are we allowed to meddle in the affairs of the continent's NPCs once we are part of the FTO?
tiny friendly crab.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Karmic Knight wrote:
SiegeTank wrote: Excellent; for the record, I hadn't intended # 4 as a real nation but rather as a big tangle of really nasty jungle that no-one thusfar has managed to tame to any appreciable degree.
So, should I put it as, "Untamed Wilderness?"
'Vietnam' :P
tiny friendly crab.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It might actually be a good idea to combine some of those no-names into larger states for simplicity's sake. They can be carved up a bit later if needed... :twisted:

Also, about what sort of scale are we looking at here? Isn't that landmass supposed to be about the size of Australia?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:So, should I put it as, "Untamed Wilderness?"
That would be most excellent. Then the FTO could start a consortium to extract its natural resources for the good of all, sending expeditions that have to fight off nature, natives and nutjobs. The story practically writes itself!
Czechmate wrote:Are we allowed to meddle in the affairs of the continent's NPCs once we are part of the FTO?
You're pretty much expected to :D.

EDIT:
Coyote wrote:It might actually be a good idea to combine some of those no-names into larger states for simplicity's sake. They can be carved up a bit later if needed...
I'm not so sure about that: the idea was to have a fair number of NPC nations on our continent; right now Frequesue is filling up nicely with actual player nations, so we might want to wait for a while before we start combining the remaining slots.
Also, about what sort of scale are we looking at here? Isn't that landmass supposed to be about the size of Australia?
Yeah, I think that's about correct. I believe Raj wanted # 13 to be about the size of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Eyeballing a map of the world for a bit I think that works out roughly to the size of Australia (perhaps slightly larger but not significantly).
Last edited by Siege on 2008-08-18 03:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Czechmate wrote:Hm. This appeals to me. Are we allowed to meddle in the affairs of the continent's NPCs once we are part of the FTO?
I believe that other FTO nations are protected, but non FTO nations are free to be meddled with for no problem.
Coyote wrote: Also, about what sort of scale are we looking at here? Isn't that landmass supposed to be about the size of Australia?
I know our placement is about where Australia is (Southern Hemisphere), I don't know what scale siege drew it at though.
SiegeTank wrote:That would be most excellent. Then the FTO could start a consortium to extract its natural resources for the good of all, sending expeditions that have to fight off nature, natives and nutjobs. The story practically writes itself!
The Kingdom of Vineyards support this idea.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:It might actually be a good idea to combine some of those no-names into larger states for simplicity's sake.
This might have some merit. Ford Prefect is, by post count, a Kingdom, which makes him the largest power on the continent. But by his map placement, he has one of the smaller landmasses. So unless he voluntarily takes a smaller country category, he's going to be incredibly wealthy (IIRC, the smaller you make your nation relative to GDP, the wealthier overall it is).

I'd recommend combining him with 12 and 13, and possibly 6 as well. That should give him about the right size relative to everyone else.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Ok, well I got a name for nation #13 now. The Central Fresquesue Republic (CFR). At least that's the current name. Earlier governments have called it a variety of things, often with "democratic" in there someplace. Basically, it is just like the Congo. Kleptocratic governments and rebels have been fighting over the place for decades and neighboring nations have frequently sent in their own forces to exploit the natural resources. The CFR has plenty to go around, from diamonds to uranium.

I should have a full write up with the currnet big players in the CFR up soon.

Edit: As far as clearing out militias and such in the jungle hellhole of nation number four and what the FTO members are expected to do, it should all be on the table for the groups annual conference which we could have at the start of the game! Of course, we should continue to put things on the agenda. I'm for FTO members doing what they want, as long as they don't destabilize the region. That would not be cool.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-08-18 04:15pm, edited 3 times in total.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

RogueIce wrote: I'd recommend combining him with 12 and 13, and possibly 6 as well. That should give him about the right size relative to everyone else.
What about 11, 12, 6, and 9?

So Raj gets his Congo-analogue and Ford Prefect would get a relative size bump.