SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Rogue Ice, as far observer memberships in the FTO and such goes, my personal opinion is no non local powers should be in the FTO, as it is a regional association whose members want to keep outside power's influence at a minimum. Of course, thats just me and everyone else may think differently.

We also really need to get some idea on how the FTO works. Such as how it is run, just what the hell its about, does it have observer status members, etc.

On a completely different note I finally got a preliminary map of Indhopal up:

Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-08-18 06:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

I lack a tablet, and therefore cannot possibly hope to draw the undulating borders of my nation. :(
tiny friendly crab.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Raj Ahten wrote:We alsoreally need to get some isdea on how the FTO works. Such as how it is run, just what the hell its about, does it have observer status members, etc.
I believe that we should vote for entrances, proposals, and other major decisions.
I would like to support allowance of observer status being given to non Fresquesuan members, but only observer status, as a nonvoting member they would be allowed to defend theirs, and others, actions in and around Fresquesue, but not directly influence decisions of the organization.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I would just like to say that I would like Coilerburg to be in the FTO as well.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Given the decision to adapt the North American Continent, roughly, into the world, I may change from a Florida-shaped polity to one based in Cascadia (PacNorWest). Probably centered around Oregon, Washington State, and southern British Columbia, will have to clear border lines with Rogue and the others.

(Note that this is just a possibility and will be determined by further discussions with the other players on the continent effected by such a claim.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I thought Yenchin was Taiwan?
I don't really know. Yenchin being on the "Fourth Continent" with us was a surprise to me when Wilkens mentioned it. I didn't really know he'd planned on that.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what he says.
I actually pulled it off of the post, and lord help me I cant remember who made it, detailing who was on which continents back on pg 7 or so. Basically I used that as the basis for stating Yenchin was in with us.

Also of note I don't think anyone is really laying claim to the caribbean as of yet so Cuba is still available near as I can tell :D.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I won't mind a Cannissian army division in my region, but that depends on where Coyote ends up on the continent.

If Stas can handle my north-eastern flank, the better. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

One thing of note the Wiki Page needs a MAJOR overhaul.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

For all those powers having just one nuclear carrier or something, is that really worth it?
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Gotta start somewhere, but maybe making some normal CVs would be better until you're a Principality?
tiny friendly crab.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Czechmate wrote:Gotta start somewhere, but maybe making some normal CVs would be better until you're a Principality?
Tiny powers will never be able to afford a big navy. A single full-scale CV has questionable use - nevermind the expense of a full CVN (granted, I feel that the nuclear cost penalty is too high - 1.5X would've probably been better).

What are the naval needs of a nation (protip: saying " we need a CV " has it ass-backwards)? Will a carrier fill that need? Is it economical?
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Westchester is fighting a low-key commerce war with the People's Republic, so I wager they'd have some uses for a carrier.

And the whole 'Duchy' level shouldn't even exist. all postcounts should be bumped up a level and Duchy should be removed except as an NPC thing.
tiny friendly crab.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Czechmate wrote:Westchester is fighting a low-key commerce war with the People's Republic, so I wager they'd have some uses for a carrier.
Why not light carriers then, or an LHA/LHD? That arguable is more useful
And the whole 'Duchy' level shouldn't even exist. all postcounts should be bumped up a level and Duchy should be removed except as an NPC thing.
Whyso? With the number of high-postcount players (and the Senatorial/Moderation bonus) I think a new second-level rank would've been better (at ~12-15K posts or so)
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

The Royal Republic of Klavostan would like to stake a claim on territory #19 on the Frequesue continent.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Maybe I just want a Kuznetsov, cause it's a pride thing. And hay Klavo.
tiny friendly crab.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

RogueIce wrote:So what about my observer status, anyway?
Like Raj, I'm hesitant to grant non-Frequesuan nations any status in the FTO, particularly when they're bigger and more powerful than its actual voting members. It sort of goes against the whole purpose of the FTO (which can be summed up as "get off our property!") and I can't say that I like the potential for MESS meddling (MESSing?) in FTO affairs either.

I'd say the FTO will have to vote on the issue though, and if I'm overruled by the others that's okay.
Raj Ahten wrote:We also really need to get some idea on how the FTO works. Such as how it is run, just what the hell its about, does it have observer status members, etc.
I suggest all members have equal standing no matter their size or military capabilities; the chair (a secretary-general?) is a primus inter pares function that rotates every 6 months (or 12 months if we deem that more appropriate). We might as well do that alphabetically, so Coilerburg would start as the sec-gen, then Indhopal, etc.

As for function, I would say joint taskforces, the opening of military bases to each other's flights etc, and an 'article 5' equivalent (an attack on one member is an attack on all members). If we really want to, we can do far-reaching military cooperation (actually forming an integrated army of a sort) but I think that would have to be an in-game decision to take.

We might want to throw in some economic terms as well (the aforementioned consortium for the extraction of resources in the wilderness, perhaps open markets?) to make it less of a NATO-rip off and more of a EC/NATO hybrid.
Coiler wrote:I would just like to say that I would like Coilerburg to be in the FTO as well.
Huzzah!
Czechmate wrote:Westchester is fighting a low-key commerce war with the People's Republic, so I wager they'd have some uses for a carrier.
This is precisely the reason why I got an LHD myself. It allows me to launch Harriers at people, as well as land marines on their shores, and I don't have to pay upkeep for a full-blown CVN (which would be far too expensive for me).
KlavoHunter wrote:The Royal Republic of Klavostan would like to stake a claim on territory #19 on the Frequesue continent.
Wow. We're filling up nicely indeed... (It's fine by my by the way!)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Very, very, TL;DR version of what the RRK is:

A remarkably peaceful country that hasn't participated in any wars since the last one where they got beaten down. At least, that's what it is on paper.

However, Klavostan's most (in)famous export happens to be mercenaries, who will sign a contract with anyone. Not to say that they don't drive crafty bargains for their services.

Understandably, a combination of CFR warlords, who of course want to be the king of the anthill, and Klavostani corporate interests, keen to gain rights to mine the rich mineral reserves of the Central Fresquesue Republic, have led to multiple Klavostani merc outfits having contracts to various movements in the southern CFR.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

I'm thinking of having a Kuznetsov, so I won't be paying for a CVN, just a normal carrier. Might get some LHDs though, for use as Sea Control Ships and Royal Marine transports.
Coiler wrote:I would just like to say that I would like Coilerburg to be in the FTO as well.
That puts FTO members at all four corners and the bottom. :D
tiny friendly crab.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

KlavoHunter, are you going to join the FTO?

And now that I'm posting anyway, the proud banner of San Dorado:

Yes, it's a dollar sign.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

They're right next door to you, aren't they? Or are they going to be ranging across the world in this commerce war?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The almost-final country profile for PeZookia. Take note, I will not go into the nitty-gritty details of the Army matters: just assume all brigades and divisions are NATO-standard:

The Constitutional Republic of PeZookia - basic guide

OVERVIEW

The Republic: Settlements and the Great River

PeZookia is a semi-large country located in the centre of the Old Continent. It is populated mainly by ethnic PeZookians, with small minorities of permanent residents from all over the world.

Primary religious convictions include: Catholicism (overwhelming majority), Greek Orthodoxy, Islam, Buddhism. No state religion is mandated or supported, much to the changrin on the local clergy.

PeZookia is nearly self-sufficient foodwise thanks to large tracts of arable land. It grows the staple crops of temperate climates: corn, wheat, rye, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and various other minor crops. It is especially renowned for its meat, fruit and dairy products.

Main industries include steelworking, chemistry, electronics, shipbuilding, aerospace, railway equipment. PeZookia has a large manufacturing sector, but no branches except steelworking, chemistry and electronics are major competitors on the world market.

The government is a constitutional monarchy, with the monarch holding chief executive power. The parliament serves as an advisory body, holds the power of the purse, power of impeachment, and approves several constitutionally mandated royal edicts: for example, declaration of a person or organization an enemy of the state requires parliamentary approval, and so do war declarations.

The monarchy is not hereditary, but a pool of candidates is selected from the populace based on a series of meritocratic tests ; The current King's offspring is not barred from participating.

Once a series of suitable candidates are selected, they campaign before the public, and the Parliament approves of the new king-elect.

BASIC FACTS AND HARD DATA

POPULATION AND WEALTH

Population: 38 million
GDP (PPP): 1.3 trillion US dollars
Land area: 311 thousand square kilometers
Literacy: 98%
Population below poverty rate: 7%
GDP per capita: 34 868 USD

Languages: PeZookian, English (mandatory second language)
Religions: Catholic (85%), Greek Orthodox (4%), Muslim (3%), Protestant (3%), None (5%)

GEOGRAPHY AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Capital: Orena, 1.7 million inhabitants
Major seaports: Morski Zamek (southwestern Mazhury/Gaymea), Tri-cities Metropolitan Area (central Pomorzhe)
Major rivers: One, Great River, runs through entire country
Mountain areas: Concentrated in the north, two major mountian chains
Railway lines: 30 thousand kilometers, 85% electrified, 10 thousand kilometers modern hi-speed rail
Total roads: 1 million kilometers (526 thousand local, 474 thousand highways)
Yearly power consumption: 260,3 TWh

NUCLEAR INFRASTRUCTURE:

One nuclear power plant at Zharnoviec, Gaymea
One experimental reactor at Kwiatkowski Institute, Orena: Mainly used for production of medical radioisotopes

ECONOMY AND BUDGET

Overall tax rate: 65%
VAT tax rates: 25%, 12%, 7%, 0%
Total budget: 19.66% GDP
Total national debt: 15.39% GDP

Last year's budget deficit: 15 billion US dollars (3.8% GDP)

ARMED FORCES

Military spending: 39 billion US dollars (2.94% GDP)

ARMY

1 Heavy Armor Division (~300 Leopard 2A4, ~70 recon tracks)

4 Heavy Mechanized Divisions (70 tanks, ~250 IFVs each)

1 Airborne Brigade

2 Air Cavalry Brigades

1 Marine Brigade

1 Independent Engineering Brigade

2 Special Operations Batallions

NAVY

2 large LHD (Wasp-class analogue): ORP "Prince Xavery Czernicki" and ORP "King Stanislaw III Wielki"

2 missile cruisers (Non-nuclear Kirov-class analogues): ORP "Orena" and ORP "Morski Zamek"

4 missile destroyers (Burke-class analogues): ORP "Szkwal", ORP "Grom", ORP "Blyskawica", ORP "Burza"

8 frigates (OHP-class Analogues): ORP "Kosciuszko", ORP "Tadeusz Brest", ORP "Guardian", ORP "Valiant", ORP "Swallow", ORP "Seagull", ORP "Guardian", ORP "Protector"

20 corvettes (similar to the Tarantul-class): OOW-1 through 20

20 SSKs: OP-1 through 20

5 AOE, 6 AKE, 6 AO ships

2 tall-ship training vessels: "Courage" and "Wisdom"

AIR FORCE

152 4.5 gen fighters (Eurofighter Typhoon)

90 4th gen fighters (Mig-29 OVT upgrade)

50 tactical bombers (A-10)

15 aerial tankers (Il-76 tanker variant, standardized to refuel all FUN airplanes)

50 trainers (Yak-130)

24 strategic transports

60 tactical transports

12 heavy, 16 light maritime patrol craft

3 AWACS aircraft
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-08-19 03:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

KlavoHunter wrote:The Royal Republic of Klavostan would like to stake a claim on territory #19 on the Frequesue continent.
What are your plans for population and so forth? #19 is a pretty damn big place for a Duchy, unless you want a low population density or the like. Most of Indhopal is pretty empty, and I have a bigger economy and population.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:
Why not light carriers then, or an LHA/LHD? That arguable is more useful
Is there a light carrier that can operate the F/A-18E/F? The only "carrier" I can think of is the CVF designs from the UK, and that isn't exactly a medium carrier.

I have been contemplating on the CVF for a while, and I might well go with that one to save costs. Of course, the CVF would be retrofitted to handle F/A-18E/Fs and will have catapults.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Is there a light carrier that can operate the F/A-18E/F? The only "carrier" I can think of is the CVF designs from the UK, and that isn't exactly a medium carrier.
Some of the older conventional carriers are in the size range of modern LHDs, though I don't know if the rules would permit you use an LHD's cost for them.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Is there a light carrier that can operate the F/A-18E/F? The only "carrier" I can think of is the CVF designs from the UK, and that isn't exactly a medium carrier.
Some of the older conventional carriers are in the size range of modern LHDs, though I don't know if the rules would permit you use an LHD's cost for them.
The only carrier that matches the Wasp in displacement is the Charles de Gaulle, and we all know how retarded that design was.

The only thing I can suggest, is that create a category less than that of the super carrier. Ships such as the CVF, Kuznetsov and a few other vessels fit that bill quite handily.
Kreia