SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:And if the beach has coastal artillery....
This is Frequesue we're talking about here. It's not a place where Normandy-style assaults will be conducted with any kind of regularity.

EDIT:
Oh ok. I thought you are going to land heck of a lot of men in the form of light infantry, minus the vehicles...
Well, I certainly would like to (if I had a RO/RO ship to ferry the vehicles, that is), but that's obviously not a realistic scenario at this point in time, so for now I'm settling for the next best thing. Of course, in conjunction with FTO partners we might be able to pull more impressive landings.
Last edited by Siege on 2008-08-19 10:25am, edited 3 times in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I doubt he's gonna be waging conventional war. Frequesue is like Pseudo Africa, with South East Asian shitholes (Burma) and South-Central American holes mixed in. His LHD is probably just to transport a handful of tanks and troopers somewhere to give someone the militaristic equivalent of a stick-beating.

Like:

"Bad Robert Mugabe!" *M1s roll into Mogadishu and blow shit up*
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

More to the point you don't need Normandy style defenses in the modern world, you just do as Iran does, coat the water in mines, line the shore-line with anti-shipping missiles and AA assets and your good to go against everything but a giant rubber raft rush, in which case keep a Regiment of tanks and self propelled artillery in the area to rush forward to throw them back into the sea.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Unrelated to the LHD discussion, I'd just like to mention that the PRSF is probably a Principality in population and military but a Duchy in budget, thus its' troubles.
tiny friendly crab.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Mr Bean wrote:More to the point you don't need Normandy style defenses in the modern world, you just do as Iran does, coat the water in mines, line the shore-line with anti-shipping missiles and AA assets and your good to go against everything but a giant rubber raft rush, in which case keep a Regiment of tanks and self propelled artillery in the area to rush forward to throw them back into the sea.
Coastal defence artillery includes anti-ship missiles.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I could help you out with Super Chechnya, PeZook. A forward Shroomanian AF airbase?
Can't see why not :D

And as for integrating air defence networks, hell yeah. Common data-sharing standards, proper and redundant communications lines and a good chain of command will be necessary, though. And that means...costs.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

SiegeTank wrote: FTO guys: Assuming for a minute that we're interested in running joint naval taskforces, we might want to look into what each of us is getting in terms of naval goodies?
My navy is pretty small. Right now I have 6 frigates, 4 modern subs, 3 destroyers, 6 sea capable corvettes, 1 LHA and two LST's for marine ops as well as a couple of support ships. I'm saying my nation's history is that when the MDC coalition took power, they cut defense budgets big time (which were bloated) and the navy suffered the most. I am likely to expand it some when I ramp up the budget to 5% GDP at the start of the game, especially if the FTO wants to form joint task forces.

Interestingly, when I compared my budget of $40 billion a year to real nations, my army turned out to be almost exactly the same size as Italy's, which has 11 brigades and around a $40 billion a year budget. Their navy is quite a bit larger though, while the air forces are about the same.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Raj Ahten wrote:My navy is pretty small. Right now I have 6 frigates, 4 modern subs, 3 destroyers, 6 sea capable corvettes, 1 LHA and two LST's for marine ops as well as a couple of support ships.
Interestingly, the LHA and LSTs are exactly what we need to (with the aid of my LHD) pull of the aforementioned more impressive landing ops. So that's one problem solved :D.
I am likely to expand it some when I ramp up the budget to 5% GDP at the start of the game, especially if the FTO wants to form joint task forces.
I think that would be a good thing to do. A good set of naval patrols around the coastlines sounds like the best way to (A) keep other people off our shores and (B) interdict against such nuisances as pirates etc, which we've apparently got our fair share of.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SiegeTank wrote:FTO guys: Assuming for a minute that we're interested in running joint naval taskforces, we might want to look into what each of us is getting in terms of naval goodies?
My Navy is mostly made up of corvettes (9), with one destroyer and two frigates, 2 LPDs, 2 LHDs, and an LST.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

How in the world do you defend your landing ships, KK?
tiny friendly crab.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Holy shit, Indophal is spending 40 bil on defence?

And I thought I was overdoing it a little with 39 (2.94% GDP) :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Czechmate wrote:How in the world do you defend your landing ships, KK?
Yea-ah I was wondering the same thing -- if you're going to have landing ships, you have to have a destroyer screen to guard them against attack, really...

That aside, if I tally up the forces of Indhopal, Coilerburg, San Dorado and the Vineyards I count (unless I'm totally mistaken):

3x LHD (large)
2x LHD (small)
2x LPD
1x LST
16x DDG
11x FFG
25x Corvette
10x SSK
2x SSN
5x AO
5x AKE
6x AOE

Which is a fairly respectable force; we ought to be able to establish a few taskforces with that...
Last edited by Siege on 2008-08-19 01:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Czechmate wrote:How in the world do you defend your landing ships, KK?
By joining with the FTO, and providing the corvettes and landing ships to the greater fleet.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Hm. the FTO lacks a real carrier. HIMS Admiral Sussex (non-nuclear full carrier) will do as a flagship. >:3
tiny friendly crab.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:By joining with the FTO, and providing the corvettes and landing ships to the greater fleet.
Fair enough, but I don't think we quite need 7 landing ships (3 large LHDs, 2 small LHDs, 2 LPDs). You might want to stick with 1 LPD, 1 LHD and your LST, and invest the 10 points you save in two destroyers and a frigate (or a cruiser and a destroyer).
Czechmate wrote:Hm. the FTO lacks a real carrier. HIMS Admiral Sussex (non-nuclear full carrier) will do as a flagship. >:3
Sweet :).
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Aw, what a cute little navy :wink:
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SiegeTank wrote:Fair enough, but I don't think we quite need 7 landing ships (3 large LHDs, 2 small LHDs, 2 LPDs). You might want to stick with 1 LPD, 1 LHD and your LST, and invest the 10 points you save in two destroyers and a frigate (or a cruiser and a destroyer).
Alright,:

Code: Select all

LHD/LHA (Large)	1
LPD/LSD	1
LST	1
CG	1
DDG	2
FFG	3
Corvette	9
SSK	1
AOE	2
AKE	2
AO	2
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

How's this for everyone? It is adapted from Beowulf's point system almost exactly:

CARRIERS and CARRIER-HYBRIDS:
Full-deck heavy CV......... 16 (Kitty Hawk; Nimitz w/"Nuclear" purchase)
Short-deck type............ 12 (Ark Royal; Clemenceau; Charles DeGaulle; Centaur)
Airplane-capable Cruisers.. 10 (Kiev)
VTOL/Helicarriers*......... 9 (Guiseppe Garibaldi; Hyuga; Chakri Naruebet)
Helicopter Cruisers........ 9 (Vittorio Veneto; Andrea Doria; R97/"Jeanne D'Arc")
(*CVS, or Sea Control Ships)

AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT SHIPS:
Large LHA/LHD............. 8 (Wasp, Tarawa)
Small LHA/LHD............. 6 (Alligator; Dokdo; Ocean; Mistral)
LSD (Landing Ship Dock)... 4 (Harper's Ferry; Ouragan; Rotterdam/Galicia)
LPD (Amphib. Trans. Dock). 4 (San Antonio; Foudre)
LST (Landing Ship, Tank).. 2 (Ropucha; Ivan Rogov; General Frank S. Besson)
LST Light................. 1 (Polocny; BATRAL; Barbe)

SURFACE COMBATANTS, HEAVY:
Battleship............... 10 (Iowa; Bismarck; Yamato)[Obsolete; see MUSEUM SHIPS below]
Battlecruiser............. 8 (Kirov)
Cruisers.................. 6 (Ticonderoga; Slava)
Destroyer................. 4 (Arleigh-Burke; Asagiri; Iroquois; KDX-II; Kara; Luhai; Tourville)

SURFACE COMBATANTS, LIGHT:
Frigate................... 2 (Álvaro de Bazán/"F100"; Brandenburg; Halifax; Godivari; Neustrashimy)
Corvette.................. 1 (Braunschweig; Nanuchka)
Fast Attack Craft........ .5 (Gepard; Rauma; Tarantul; Pegasus)
Mine Warfare............. .5 (Frankenthal; Kulmbach; Pohjanmaa)

SUBMARINE WARFARE VESSELS:
Nuclear Attack............ 4 (Seawolf; Los Angeles; Akula; Han; Astute; Barracuda)
Closed-Cycle SSI.......... 3 (Type-212; Type-214)
Diesel-Electic SSK........ 2 (Victoria; Dolphin; Walrus; Collins; Song)
[SSBNs are currently unavailable]

LOGISTICS & SUPPORT VESSELS:
Command & Control Ship.... 4 (Blue Ridge; Zuiderkruis; Coronado)
Hospital Ship............. 4 (Mercy; Comfort)
Icebreakers............... 4 (Polar; Eisvogel; Svalbard)
Replenishment Ship, Heavy. 4 (Type-702/"Berlin"; Supply; Lewis and Clark; A620/"Jules Verne")
Spy/Surveillance/ELINT.... 3 (Stalwart; Type-423/"Oste"; Primor'ye; A759/Dupuy de Lôme)
Replenishment Ship, Light. 2 (Type-404/"Elbe")
Tankers & Oilers.......... 2 (Henry J. Kaiser; Durance; Type-704A/"Rhon"; Rover)
Sea Tugs/Recovery/Salvage. 2 (Type 720/"Helgoland"; Type 722/"Wangerooge"; Apache; Powhatan; Abeille Flandre)
Logistic Preposition/RO-RO 2 (T-AKR-300/"Bob Hope"; T-AK-3017/"Fred W. Stockham")

POINT MODIFIERS:
Nuclear Powerplant (Available for Cruiser classes and up).. x2 base cost
Hydrofoil (Available only for Fast Attack Craft)........... +.5 per ship
SpecOps Delivery & Support Modification (Submarines only).. +5 per sub
"Stealth" characteristics (Surface Combatants only)........ +2 per ship

BATTLESHIPS:
Battleships are expensive to build, operate, maintain, and sustain. For all the trouble they require, there is little that they can do that cannot be done better by smaller, more agile ships from farther away. A broadside of a dozen 16-inch guns a few miles off the coast that can level a grid square is impressive, but a single GPS-guided cruise missile from a Frigate 100 miles away gets the job done just as well- without the cost, both financial and political.

Basically, Battleships are just big targets that can only reach as far as their guns-- unlike Aircraft Carriers, which can reach many hundreds of miles out. One big battleship can be in one place at one time; for the same cost numerous Destroyers can be in many places at once-- and if a Destroyer sinks, there's more left over. Build Battleships at your own risk.

MUSEUM SHIPS:
Any vessel can be a museum ship. A nation can maintain up to three museum ships (of any types or combinations of types) per country level. However, if those Museum Ships are going to be kept ready for possible action, then you have to add up the points for it like normal, divide by 4, and it is part of your "Semi-Retired Naval Reserve". It takes six months to re-activate.

TRAINING VESSELS:
Training vessels for Naval Academies can be any type. Add up their points and divide by 2, and if it ever goes into combat it becomes a regular combatant and is charged in full.

Sailing-type Tall Ship training vessels are traditionally a luxury of wealthy nations. However, the experience they add, and the sense of cameraderie, are frequently considered worth the expense. 3 Points for a Tall Ship Acadamy Vessel.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am so taking a sailing ship academy vessel.

I can do without a couple stupid AOEs :P

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Light raiding? How light do you want? At best hold the beach for a few hours, until the roving main army comes along.

And if the beach has coastal artillery....
…landing over a beach has always been highly suicidal, been proven over and over again since the US Civil War. Thankfully since the 1950s the option of landing inland with helicopters has been available, which is why a Wasp has that nice big flight deck that can launch 9 big choppers at once. Only follow on forces would come over the beach in a modern invasion, after helicopter borne troops have secured a chunk of shoreline, and they would employ amtracks and hovercraft so that they can cross virtually any piece of shoreline and move inland to unload.

WW2 style beaching landing craft need very specific beach conditions to beach themselves without being destroyed, or grounded far from shore and in general can only land on about 10% of typical coastlines. That makes it much easier for the enemy to defend against them. Since they can only unload right on the beach they also pin you to a fixed point which the enemy can easily target.

If you employ only light forces in an invasion, you gain an advantage to an extent, because light infantry with only light wheeled vehicles can be landed and supplied completely by helicopters. You need never present a fixed target like a beachhead to the enemy until you’ve already captured your objective. That’s good for avoiding the invasion being wiped out by multiple rocket launchers.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Since a few people have decided to post their nation's profiles on their Personal Wiki Pages, i decided that a Wiki article dedicated to the Nations might be apropriate.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Coyote wrote:How's this for everyone? It is adapted from Beowulf's point system almost exactly:

CARRIERS and CARRIER-HYBRIDS:
Airplane-capable Cruisers.. 10 (Kiev)
VTOL/Helicarriers*......... 9 (Guiseppe Garibaldi; Hyuga; Chakri Naruebet)
Helicopter Cruisers........ 9 (Vittorio Veneto; Andrea Doria; R97/"Jeanne D'Arc")
(*CVS, or Sea Control Ships)

AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT SHIPS:
Large LHA/LHD............. 8 (Wasp, Tarawa)
Small LHA/LHD............. 6 (Alligator; Dokdo; Ocean; Mistral)
My only complaint here are the costs for the VTOL carriers or helo cruisers seem a bit high. I was assuming something like six points for such ships as they're roughly comparable to a small LHA/LHD in displacement (that, and I've already costed out my navy :P )
Nuclear Powerplant (Available for Cruiser classes and up).. x2 base cost
Hydrofoil (Available only for Fast Attack Craft)........... +.5 per ship
SpecOps Delivery & Support Modification (Submarines only).. +5 per sub
"Stealth" characteristics (Surface Combatants only)........ +2 per ship
I think I've noted that the nuclear power modifier seems inordinately expensive - 1.5-1.75X might be more realistic here.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Would things go better if we started an AIM chat to discuss setting things up while we wait for Stas to do the map?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SiegeTank wrote:
Czechmate wrote:I think he meant Marine Expeditionary Unit, which is a reinforced battallion.
As I understand it the Wasp can carry 1,871 embarked troops. My marine corps is composed of only roughly 2,500 soldiers. One LHD will do quite nicely for the sort of light raiding I expect to be doing with that ship.
The problem is that for 2,500 combatant personnel you will likely have between 3,000 and 8,000 supporting personnel. A BCT (which is the combat element of a MEU) runs just over 1,000 combatant personnel but still takes most available berthing space on an LHD, LPD, and at least one other landing ship.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Steve wrote:Would things go better if we started an AIM chat to discuss setting things up while we wait for Stas to do the map?
Most likely.
tiny friendly crab.