2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Flagg wrote:
Steve wrote:
Flagg wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!![/Vader]

He could have played for the Bucs. My dream of wearing a Favre Buccaneers Jersey shall never come true...

Still... Dick move, Green Bay.
Huh? Favre was the bastard who retired, let the team begin reorientating themselves around Rodgers, and then decided "Oh, I wanna come back."
He also got them to how many superbowls?

Don't get me wrong, I hate it when athletes retire and then unretire, but this is Brett fucking Favre.
He took them to two, and went 1-1. Just for the record, San Francisco traded Joe Montana. It's just a symptom of a healthy franchise: no one is unexpendable.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If Johnny Unitas can be traded, anyone can.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Don't know if anyone's watching the Browns/Giants exhibition, but Cleveland is getting absolutely manhandled. Nothing is working for them.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

My prediction as a Jets fan-
Favre tears his ACL week 2 against the Pats.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Its been hilarious that so many people have ben coming up to me lately and mentioning that they are switching alleigance to the 'Skins ove the Ravens this year. The problem is they keep doing things like mentioning Colt Brennan's performace vs the Jets or that DC is 3-) preseason...seriously? I mean sure I'd rather be 3-0 than 0-3 but in the Jets game Campbell looked hesitant and the 1st string offense has yet to look consistent rather than occasionally flashy. Sure the defense is looking solid but a solid defense and a finicky offense with fans clamoring for a third stringer as likely to be great as disatrous adds up to an 8-8 season. That being said I think Zorn has the right personality to get the offense t settle down and my worries about the D are currently limited only to injuries but I think 10-6 would be about the year I'm expecting. Sure the schedule doesn't look paticularly tough and the bye week is just about right but its still a yound QB and a rookie head coach.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Its been hilarious that so many people have ben coming up to me lately and mentioning that they are switching alleigance to the 'Skins ove the Ravens this year. The problem is they keep doing things like mentioning Colt Brennan's performace vs the Jets or that DC is 3-) preseason...seriously? I mean sure I'd rather be 3-0 than 0-3 but in the Jets game Campbell looked hesitant and the 1st string offense has yet to look consistent rather than occasionally flashy. Sure the defense is looking solid but a solid defense and a finicky offense with fans clamoring for a third stringer as likely to be great as disatrous adds up to an 8-8 season. That being said I think Zorn has the right personality to get the offense t settle down and my worries about the D are currently limited only to injuries but I think 10-6 would be about the year I'm expecting. Sure the schedule doesn't look paticularly tough and the bye week is just about right but its still a yound QB and a rookie head coach.
Well Campbell was a mistake in the first place. He never should've been drafted that high, and he certainly wasn't worth trading three picks for the right to draft him. I do think it's funny how fast Ravens fans are deserting their shitty team.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Good job, Miami. A shutout, 4 takeaways, a great running game and very impressive passing from Pennington. Not so much from Henne, unfortunately.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Cos Dashit wrote:Good job, Miami. A shutout, 4 takeaways, a great running game and very impressive passing from Pennington. Not so much from Henne, unfortunately.
Rule #1 about Miami winning: You don't talk about Miami winning.

You'll jinx it before our patented December choke.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

And the Skins apparently look awful in this game. Fantastic.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Mein gott, did Carolina crush Washington. That would send up red flags, for me, at FedEx Field. They got gouged on the ground and through the air, never a good combo.

Philadelphia also looked pretty electric: they held New England to three while the starters were in, although Brady was out. They had one, nearly two touchdown passes and two returns for touchdowns. I'm going to make a prediction now that the NFC East comes to Dallas vs. Philadelphia. Maybe in that nice little Week 17 game in Philly.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Chardok wrote:
Cos Dashit wrote:Good job, Miami. A shutout, 4 takeaways, a great running game and very impressive passing from Pennington. Not so much from Henne, unfortunately.
Rule #1 about Miami winning: You don't talk about Miami winning.

You'll jinx it before our patented December choke.
Yeah, but this isn't just Miami winning. This is Miami shutting out another team, while passing and running the ball impressively, at least in the first half. And it was starters vs starters for at least half of the ball game.

And this coming off of a 1-15 season? I doubt I'm the only Miami fan who is looking forward to this season.
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

It's pretty much impossible for Miami to struggle as badly this year as they did last year. I think they're still a ways away from the playoffs, but improvement has to be the key idea of this season.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Big news: New York Giant defensive end Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending surgery. That'll wind up being the biggest story of the preseason.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Big news: New York Giant defensive end Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending surgery. That'll wind up being the biggest story of the preseason.
Merriman's got suspected ligament damage as well. This could end up being a safer than usual year for QBs .
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Big news: New York Giant defensive end Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending surgery. That'll wind up being the biggest story of the preseason.
Jason Taylor also limped off the field with a knee injury of some kind. I think he's scheduled for an MRI later today.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Jason Taylor also limped off the field with a knee injury of some kind. I think he's scheduled for an MRI later today.
For that matter, Brian Dawkins hurt his ankle, and the Eagles' silence indicates to me that he might be done too.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Wait, I lied:
Head coach Andy Reid said on Sunday that free safety Brian Dawkins suffered a mild tendon strain in Friday night's win over the Patriots. Reid added that Dawkins should be ready to play in the team's season opener against St. Louis in two weeks.
So Dawkins, like a number of defensive stars, gets hurt, although his isn't nearly as serious as those of Merriman or Umenyiora, and possibly Taylor.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Ahh, so Pennington is for sure in...I saw some cohesiveness that I liked. Also Ricky....I will up my previous prediction to...

*checks schedule*

5 games.

Oh, and how delicious will it be if we beat NY - WITH THEIR OWN QUARTERBACK? :lol:
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Wait, I lied:
Head coach Andy Reid said on Sunday that free safety Brian Dawkins suffered a mild tendon strain in Friday night's win over the Patriots. Reid added that Dawkins should be ready to play in the team's season opener against St. Louis in two weeks.
So Dawkins, like a number of defensive stars, gets hurt, although his isn't nearly as serious as those of Merriman or Umenyiora, and possibly Taylor.
Apparently Taylor's expected back for the opener according to ESPN.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Of course, a catastrophic, career-ending injury follows that: a Texans receiver just received severe spinal damage that will prevent him from ever playing again, although doctors are expecting an otherwise fine recovery.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

Chardok wrote:Ahh, so Pennington is for sure in...I saw some cohesiveness that I liked. Also Ricky....I will up my previous prediction to...

*checks schedule*

5 games.
Brown is far more injury prone than Williams. I don't remember Williams ever having a serious injury when he was playing in Miami, except the one last year (from which he appears to have recovered beautifully).
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I saw an article on ESPN.com yesterday that said Kurt Warner had basically beat out Leinart as the starter, but then I was reading some of the comments and one of the posters stated that another news organization was quoting the Cardinals' coach as saying ESPN was wrong.

Personally I hope ESPN is right and that Warner gets his shot. He's certainly been the better QB the last couple of years and the only reason he hasn't been number 1 is because the Cards shelled out a bunch of money for Leinart.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'd like to see Warner start: he's much easier to root for than Leinart.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Ravens had better do something this year. We've got a new coach who hopefully will actually be able to produce some offence while not letting the defence fall into a sad state.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

You need a quarterback, but don't have one.