SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Czechmate wrote:
Steve wrote:Would things go better if we started an AIM chat to discuss setting things up while we wait for Stas to do the map?
Most likely.
Well then, I'd recommend someone start it. I'm perfectly willing to do so.

Though anyone who uses non-updated AIM or Trillian may have trouble, my usual chat circle has had to go back to IRC over AIM kicking and otherwise not working for people using Pidgin, etc.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: HMS Ark Royal is only a miserable 20000 tonnes and incapable of servicing aircraft like F/A-18 E/F. The same would apply to the old French CVs which were only 260m in length. Sure there were lots of light carriers, but operating Harriers at best.
I am almost positive he is referring to THIS Ark Royal:

(which, you'll note, was in my Dominion versus Shepistan histories.)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well, here's a preliminary OOB for Sirnoth. Thanks to Sea Skimmer for assisting. The divisional layouts match the Cold War era divisions Shep posted in the build your military thread.

Defense Budget: 37,500,000,000 (5% of GDP)

Army

Overview: The Sirnoth Army is the least important of the three services. Sirnoth's defense policy in the past century or so has been dependent upon long range defenses, leaving the army with subpar recruits and equipment. The ranking officers are mostly those with the best political connections. Still, it would be wrong to portray the Sirnoth army as a collection of incompetents and cronies. While most of the Sirnoth rank and file are conscripts, they have excellent equipment, and an ongoing insurgency in the Hecate mountains means that most soldiers have a modicum of experience in combat.

Order of Battle:

3 Armored Divisions
5 Mechanized Divisions
2 Mountain (Light Infantry) Divisions
1 Air Assault Division

330,000 troops
2500 Leopard 2A4 MBTs
4001 Marder IFVs
516 HMMWV w/Milan III
528 M577 Mobile Command Vehicles
96 M110 203mm SP howitzers
700 PzH2000 155mm SP howitzers
72 MLRS
914 Milan III man portable ATGMs
528 106mm SP mortars
445 ZSU-23-4 AA guns
230 SA-11
314 SA-15
634 Stinger SAMs
548 AH-1 attack Helicopters
406 OH-58 scout Helicopters
430 UH-1 helicopters
48 CH-47 helicopters
54 Vulcan AA guns

(CAS and air transport are handled by the Air Force)

Overview: The Navy has been the pride of the Sirnoth military since it was first created. The service is more professional than the army, but is still controlled by the patron and client system that dominates Sirnoth society.

Navy (80,000)

2 Templar class CV (Audacious class look alike)

SNS Templar
SNS Archon

2 Canberra class LHA

SNS Connos
SNS Belyer

6 Cornelius class (Harper's Ferry look alike) LSD

SNS Cornelius
SNS Scipio
SNS Arpi
SNS Brutus
SNS Junius
SNS Crassus

12 Boynton (LST(3)lookalike) class LST

SNS Boynton
SNS Russ McFarland
SNS Aina
SNS Peril on the Sea
SNS Bobby Darin
SNS Amanita
SNS Tousey
SNS Seaflame
SNS Guardian
SNS Expedition
SNS Zahn
SNS Pratchett

8 Arleigh Burke class DDGs

SNS Stannis Baratheon
SNS Davos Seaworth
SNS Melisandre
SNS Glorious 6th of May
SNS Courageous
SNS Elysium
SNS Montagsville
SNS Freyburg

16 O.H. Perry class FFGs

SNS Andrew Ryan
SNS Baiae
SNS Praetorian
SNS Neptune's Champion
SNS Torrent
SNS Julie Langford
SNS Sander Cohen
SNS Valiant
SNS Spatha
SNS Gladius
SNS Falx
SNS Hasta
SNS Tempest
SNS Unity
SNS Glorious
SNS Gauntlet

10 Loni class SSK (local manufacture, roughly equivalent to Russian Kilo class)

SNS Loni
SNS Stonefish
SNS Candiru
SNS Treguard
SNS Prien
SNS Asha
SNS Balon
SNS Kraken
SNS Nemo
SNS Nautilus

2 Chalice class AOE (local manufacture, roughly equivalent to Supply class)

SNS Chalice
SNS Holy Grail

2 Largesse class AKE (local manufacture, roughly equivalent to Mars class)

SNS Sacred Largesse
SNS Blessings of Heaven

1 Marine Division

Fleet Air Arm

SNS Templar Airgroup: 24 Typhoon-Sir, 8 SH-60
SNS Archon Airgroup: 24 Typhoon-Sir, 8 SH-60
SNS Connos Airgroup: 16 SH-60 helicopters, 4 CH-53
SNS Belyer Airgroup: 16 SH-60 helicopters, 4 CH-53

Air Force (51,000)

160 F-4 Phantoms
42 F-111
8 KC-130 tankers
4 E-3 Sentry AWACS
12 P-3 Orion naval patrol craft
32 F-4T trainer jets
49 BaE Hawk trainers
4 C-5A
57 C-130
Last edited by Setzer on 2008-08-20 02:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

As for the recent modifications to the point setup: I've finished my OOB, and I'm not particularly willing to change it again. Unless someone is going to voice serious grievances against it, I'm just going to settle for what I've got going right now, and that'll be that insofar as I'm concerned.
CmdrWilkens wrote:The problem is that for 2,500 combatant personnel you will likely have between 3,000 and 8,000 supporting personnel. A BCT (which is the combat element of a MEU) runs just over 1,000 combatant personnel but still takes most available berthing space on an LHD, LPD, and at least one other landing ship.
Yes, I know that for every actual combat soldier you deploy there's several men behind him (or her). Still, I don't really expect to be deploying more than +/- 1,000 men from my LHD in the first place, and if we need to deploy more I'm sure we can find the room to do so within an FTO framework. The way it looks right now we've got plenty of LPD's to spare...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Anyways, for everyone who thinks air-defense is easy, everyone's favorite IMINT blog has a post on East Germany's air defense
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Setzer wrote:Well, here's a preliminary OOB for Sirnoth. Thanks to Sea Skimmer for assisting. The divisional layouts match the Cold War era divisions Shep posted in the build your military thread.

Defense Budget: 37,500,000,000 (5% of GDP)
Wow. Even considering some things like some of them are old equipment, that's way more than what the point system would have allowed.

I'm getting tempted to work out something on my own and post it up to see whether anyone can tell me if it's completely unfeasible.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

yeah, that's part of why I thought "screw the points system". This gives me far more bang for my buck.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

phongn wrote:Anyways, for everyone who thinks air-defense is easy, everyone's favorite IMINT blog has a post on East Germany's air defense
Did anybody actually say that? :P

And, Setzer: I notice you have 700 PzH2000 - they're not towed pieces,they're self-propelled.

I added some stuff to the modern history of PeZookia. You'll be able to tell I'm gonna hate Karic and his little country when the game starts.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Thanks. At first, I had changed them to towed pieces, since I thought having that many self propelled guns would raise some eyebrows, and I didn't want to risk overstepping my bounds. Sea Skimmer looked over it and said there weren't any problems, so I just inserted PzH over the towed description. It's fixed now.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

PeZook wrote: I added some stuff to the modern history of PeZookia. You'll be able to tell I'm gonna hate Karic and his little country when the game starts.
I take it that you will RP his country and cause all kind of trouble for yourself? :D

Or would you like me to? :twisted: :wink:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote: I take it that you will RP his country and cause all kind of trouble for yourself? :D

Either way is fine, really.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

PeZook wrote:
DarthShady wrote: I take it that you will RP his country and cause all kind of trouble for yourself? :D

Either way is fine, really.
I figure I'll let you handle him because I have 3 other NPC's to deal with.

Maybe Shroom can RP The Republic of Rohan and cause pirate problems for himself.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Setzer wrote:yeah, that's part of why I thought "screw the points system". This gives me far more bang for my buck.
Did you use any particular sources to help work up your military? I've been vacillating between points and a budget based approach and the only reason I haven't gone with budget is I haven't been able to find decent sources to help me do it.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Even though I'm the Big Dog of making point systems, to tell the truth I, too, have used the point system to tally up a basic "ballpark figure" military to give me a sort of "range" to work with, and then throw on a few add-ons afterwards to fill in the cracks. The points systems I made don't take into account things like Reserve forces, for example.

I think the point system is handy to give you a general area to shoot for, and you can modify a bit once you have that.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Is anyone else getting impatient with all this waiting for the game to start?
Visitor of five museum ships.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Coiler wrote:Is anyone else getting impatient with all this waiting for the game to start?
Actually, on the other hand, some of us are definitely procrastinating on the army OOB, or just ignoring it.

That and Stas is probably still trying to digest through a few thousand posts to set up the map.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Wow. Even considering some things like some of them are old equipment, that's way more than what the point system would have allowed.
Virtually everything is old or older equipment; the Leopards IIs for example are A4 models dating to the mid 1980s, while all models of Marder only have small 20mm cannons and the vehicle is fundamentally from the early 1970. If you divide the army equipment by the number of divisions you’ll find that the numbers are in roughly correct proportion for strong armor heavy divisions. The navy aircraft carriers are balanced by the weak air force still flying Phantoms. Also; he’s just simply spending substantially more then modern Germany does.

Really only a handful of his systems would explicitly have had to be bought in the 1990s or 2000s; virtually everything else in the arsenal existed and may well date to the 1980s or earlier.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

If he had taken Leo 2A6s and Pumas and Eurofighters, I suppose the 'that's too much' argument could be accepted. But as he took a bunch of what is effectively 1970s technology (save for the Leo 2A4, which is mid-80s; perhaps taking the 2A1 would be a better idea), I doubt it's that bad.
tiny friendly crab.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Zorian Geography

Zoria is a triangular shaped island with the notable indentation of Tiger shark Bay on the Southeastern Side, Zoria can be roughly divided into three main Zones.

The first of which being Northern mountain range. A stretch of mountain near the northern Coastline getting up to 2,000 meters above sea level in places and is the only place in Zoria in which gets snow. The Coastline is home to a sub zone of Tropical Swamps and lush Rainforest with numerous small islands.

The Highlands, covering most of the Coastline outside of Tiger shark bay, going in between 50 and 100 km inland, these lands are home to a fair number of Hills and Deciduous Forest.

The Central Grasslands are in the center and are the dominant landscape. A mixture of Tropical Savanah and patches dotted with a few lakes, with the coastline leading into Tigershark bay, which is dominated by Deltas of various rivers leading into it.

History of Zoria

The island of Zoria is located nearly two thousand kilometers from the new continent in the southern hemisphere and due to its remote nature, Zoria was until recently very much isolated from human settlement.

Early History

The first human settlers came in 1103 small fleet of Norse Longboats led by one Olaf the Short arrives on what is now known as Viking Island off the northern shore. According to ledged Odin sent a vision to Olaf telling him that there was a fertile land to the east where his rather poor people could thrive. The group of around five hundred colonists have a hard time establishing themselves, settling on an island that while fertile surrounded by rich fishing grounds, was also home to several diseases that limited population growth for the first hundred years. Expansion inland was severely limited by a lack of any livestock besides geese, chickens and pigs (Supplemented by the mid 14th century with a few Domesticated local Marsupials including Kangaroos and Giant Wombats (A smaller version of the Diprotodon maxing out at one tonne).

In between 1417 and 1420, a minor colonization event occurred via Japanese settlers. The movement was spurred after a team of sailors managed to discover the southern coast of the island (unclaimed by the Norsemen which were established in minor settlements on the northern coastline and numbered less than 35,000). Upon returning to their home nation, they had come to find that its rivals in a long blood feud had gained the upper hand in the war. Upon Reporting this news, the local lord gathered up himself and various groups of the population and over a period of a year and a half evacuated 7,000 (not including some 2,000 that died en route from a myriad of problems) people across, establish a minor settlement in Tiger Shark bay. After the final ship arrived, the local lord ordered the ships burned and the maps used to navigate to the island burned to prevent their numerous rivals from following them. The settlement thrived, having access to livestock and horses and settling in a fertile river delta on what is now Nagijima.

The colony managed to grow and expand, with new settlements slowly pushing inward and along the coast as well as trading and making contact with the Norse Civilizations. By 1500, there were an estimated 150,000 people (110,000 Vikings and 40,000 Shinto) living on the island. Initially the Japanese settlements were united, but a critical fault eventually caused them to fracture due to a lack of effective communications and internal feuds between local samurai lords. The end result was that by 1550, a period of waring city states emerged. The Norse were regarded as little more than a troublesome annoyance that launched the occasional raid on new settlements and minor trading partners that, due to a lack of Cavalry and disorganization were rarely considered to be much of a threat and several of Norse settlements were conquered. Never-the-less, through various means including mercenary bands, studied tactics and alliances, eventually managed to make up the disadvantage. The initial advantage of the Shinto states eventually gave way by 1600, although the populations of the two groups were more or less matched at this point. The result was that Zoria was divided into nearly fifty feuding Principalities, the northern half being primarily Norse with the southern half being Shinto with a few mixed cultures along the loosely defined boarders of these two ethnic groups, although a few cultural traditions were generally exchanged across the board.

Colonization

In 1712, Zoria was discovered by the Shroomanian Explorer Sir Horatio Zorston. After exploring the coastlines and making people of the Islands with his three ship fleet for two years, he discovered that the natives had begun to cultivate several rather tasty local plants for spices as well as a few other notable trade goods. Upon his return to Shroomania, he manages to entice the Shroomanian Settlement Syndicate (SSS) to send an expedition to secure the Island. Using a small force of 700 Mercenaries, 100 employees and gifts of muskets, he manages to make an alliance between three of the (at that time) 46 principalities on the north, South and east Coasts of Zoria and gained control of three port cities which he named Pacifica, New Atlantis and Victorium. To bolster these new settlements, the SSS brought in colonists from wherever he could find them. Among these colonists were the mercenaries they hired and their families, religious minorities, penal colonists, indentured servents and even a few thousand voluntary colonists simply seeking a better life. By 1775, The SSS’s Zorian Branch had established a population of 65,000 persons in its cities and not including some 125,000 in three vassal states, out of a population of 2.5 million people and had established local industries, including shipbuilding as well as establishing thriving ports. The (now five) allied Principalities of the SSS also prospered, making short work of their rivals and becoming significantly powerful players on the island. At the same time they took to using foreign goods, technologies and methods, as well, via a casual exchange of ideas and ideologies via a benign but persistent trade of literature led a few Principalities to adopt a few traditions, including the establishment of Lower houses of non noble landowners, veterans and wealthy merchants by three principalities. Shroomanian Control of Zoria was, all and all, fairly loose, a few light pieces of legislation were sent out, a few small military bases were maintained with a few Hundred Shroomcoats and the SSS paid an annual 10% off all profits to the company and an additional 5% to the Shroomanian Throne, but effectively the Zorian Branch of the SSS ruled it’s territory independently for nearly a century.

Independance

Eventually however, a change of heart hit the powers of be, and in 1790, the Shroomanian Government ordered a massive reshapement of the Zorian Colonies. All of Zoria was to become a Shroomanian Crown Colony ruled by Crown appointed governors. The acting Magistrate Michael Zorston of the SSS was placed in a hard position, it would mean completely obliterating decades of good relations with his allied and generally friendly principalities, which could muster far more soldiers armed with comparable weaponry than he could while the some 135,000 people who lived his formal territory would in general have mixed feelings about it. As well as removing the SSS Zorian Branch’s near sovereignty and power in the colonies. As such, he secretly made deals with the PeZookian and called a meeting of 22 Allied and Generally friendly principalities of Zoria of the fact that Shroomania was planning on bringing all of Zoria under the rule of Shroomania and announced that the only way to fend off Shroomanian conquest of Zoria was to fend off the aggressors together. That night they signed the Article of Zorian Independence and White ordered a force of 500 of his Zorian SSS troops to seize the six Shroomanian Frigates docked at Pacifica Harbor while sending messages to the forces in New Atlantis and Victorium to attack and destroy the various garrisons. The Next Two weeks saw grizzly defeats as the thirteen hundred Shroomanian Soldiers at the hands of Zorian Soldiers and the various principalities, who mustered over fifty thousand soldiers for the coming war while a fleet of fast ships was built.

The Shroomanian response was quick, an armada fifty ships strong including eight ships of the line was dispatched and an army of Twenty Six thousand ground soldiers was sent to the island to engage. The Rag-tag Zorian Navy of Frigates and sloops was Unable to do more than raid and within few principalities on the northern coast fell to the Shroomcoats who recruited mercenaries to bolster their ranks with an additional 20,000 men. Seeking to gain the upper hand over their rival, PeZookia offered Naval Aid. Never the less, they faced a well armed and equipped forces that had the experience of dozens of campaigns amongst themselves. The Shroomcoats faced down not only settler Forces, but well disciplined Ashigaru Musketeers and the Pagan Norse God worshiping Viking cavalry, renowned for their savage charges. Meanwhile the Colonial Rivals, seeking to deprive Shroomania from a valuable colony meet the Demands and off. The Result was a three year long and protracted War between the Zorian Allied Forces and Foreign Powers (most notably PeZookia) and the Shroomanians with a few allied Principalities. Despite a few military Victories, the Shroomanians were eventually defeated and the leader of the Shroomanian expedition General Arthur Mangson was forced to surrender at the Treaty of Ericssonia in 1796 who vowed to (then General) Zorston after the treaty that some day, Zoria would bow again before the Shroomanian Throne.

After the War, the Islands was again divided into its various principalities as the alliance that held them together reverted to its pre-war mess of Squabbling Principalities with the one real change being the conversion of the former Shroomanian Colonies (and its vassals) into a Independent Parliamentary Monarchy, known as the Kingdom of the Zoria ruled by King Michael-I. Over the next three decades, the Kingdom began to industrialize as a new financial class began to invest in increasingly mechanized industry. The process had started during the war when the Inventor Douglas Roff developed a system of interchangeable Parts for firearms and with some financial assistance managed to establish a factory that produced between 1804 and 1806 some 10,000 muskets, expanded slowly from their and by the 1830 the Industrial Revolution was in full swing in the former Colonies. Outside, industrialization happened, but at a comparatively slower rate from a variety of reasons, most notably conservatism among the ruling classes and lower urban population.

Industrialization and Unification

In 1834, King Michael-I died and was succeeded by his son, King Stephen-I. Soon after his ascension to the throne, the Grudges that several Principalities had For the SSS that were suspended due to King Michael’s rebellion against Shroomania resurfaced, bolstered by Grudges by the Marginal number of Principalities that allied in support of Shroomania against their rivals, only to face penalties when their side lost. Zoria and her Allied Principalities soon found themselves caught in Wars with the intentions of reclaiming lost glory and Face alongside gaining an economic advantage through regaining land and re-arranging treaties to serve their needs in a period between 1835 and 1839 known as the Age of Chaos. The alliance of the Kingdom of Zoria and her allied principalities were collectively outnumbered nearly two to one by their foes, who were for the most part willing to leave aside their old hatreds against this common enemy, but Zoria offered its own advantages. Zorian Soldiers (and the allies) were supplied with superior weaponry including percussion cap muskets and latter rifles with the introduction of the Watson ball (Minie ball) and revolvers. Also, the Age of Chaos was not a single war, but a series of wars against various principalities that lasted a few months. Never the less, the threat was big enough for the Diet of Port Victory in 1839, in which the allied principalities, connected via bloodline and military alliances signed a treaty, creating a new state known as the United Kingdom of Zoria, in which they gained a seat in a upper house of Parliament (while their subjects gained seats in the lower house) under King Stephen-I, while retaining most of their power in their lands and benefiting mutual defense and free trade between them as well as gaining control of all the newly claimed territory gained in the wars.

King Stephen lived for eleven more years, and saw the introduction of many things, including the establishment of rail-lines, expansion of the Navy and the establishment of an nationwide Public School System (such a system was employed Port Victory in 1831 and across the rest of the former colonies and vassals a year latter). But unfortunately his legendary bouts of Drinking led to an early death in 1850. He was succeeded by his only child who became Queen Adria-I. Queen Adria-I was crowned at age 27 and at first and was not taken very seriously. Never the less, she proved herself a capable leader in 1853, when a trade dispute led her to declare war on three different principalities, not to uncommon an affair in Zorian History, although she controlled the largest and most powerful nation on the island, with over two million people and nearly 100,000 soldiers armed with superior breach loading rifles and shell firing artillery and quickly dispatched them within six months. However, unlike most other wars on this type in Zorian History, she completely annexed these three principalities, dividing them up among her nobility to satisfy them. Thus, with the assistance of her War Minister, Dietrich Stein began their unification of Zoria. Principality by Principality, she began to bring in new territories. A few came in voluntarily, joining for social, strategic and economic advantages that Adria ordered to stress while others were brought in by the sword as an increasingly large and well armed military destroyed all opposition. The Queen made sure to appease the nobility by offering them land of conquered foes while appeasing the common people, bringing in a new Pan-Zorian ideology in her book “For the Age of Peace”. Often this was seen as liberation, a few principalities still had serfdom, an aspect of society which Adria ended unilaterally in newly conquered territories. Shroomania, attempting to sabotage Adria’s plans had at several times supplied principalities with cut rate up to date weaponry and artillery and even offered assistance in setting up modern arms industries, but ultimately could not match the size of the Royal Zorian Army, which reached a maximum mobilization of 800,000 men by 1876 (out of a population of 12 million). The final War between a unified alliance of the Remaining seven independent principalities and the United Kingdom ran from 1875 to early 1877. The allied principalities struck first and won a few initial victories, but in the end the Zorian Military, equipped with bolt action breach loading rifles, gating guns, superior artillery and trench warfare won the day. as such May 20th is known as Unification Day across the Kingdom and Queen Adria-I was to be known as the Great Unifier.

Consolidation

Adria-I lived another 25 years before dying peacefully in her bed at age 75. During those years, the Zorian Army dwindled to six Legions by 1890 as the need for land based military power diminished while the navy and Marine Corps came to prominence. Arms factories deprived of a massive military constantly buying new guns and ammunition had to seek out new sources of income. A few turned to exporting weapons, while others turned to producing civilian goods for growing middle classes. Zorian Industries flourished, both in the cities and in conquered territories, where captains of industry came in to conquered territories lured by new natural resources, cheap labor and government aid to development. Meanwhile, several government acts and constitutional amendments gradually relegated the upper house and gave more power to the people. In 1878, all property requirements for voting were dropped, enfranchising the entire male population and by 1900, the once powerful nobility, while still somewhat influential were now subordinate politically to the upper house. Zoria became a profitable and generally non interventionist power and benefited massively from international trade. By 1900, the benefits of industrialization were clearly apparent across Zorian Society.

Despite this, there was some discontent among the population at large. Acts of Terrorism by various independence movements seeking to restore independence plagued Zoria, as bomb attacks and assassinations become rampant in several conquered territories. This led to the creation of the Paramilitary Royal Zorian Mounted Police (often abbreviated to Mounties) in late 1877 as well as the Firearm Control Act of 1888, forbidding the private ownership of pistols, the preferred weapons of Terrorist Assassins that plagued cities as well as the registration of all private fire-arms. However, the most effective means at suppressing these movements was eventually prosperity. While wealth discrepancies between the Original seven Zorian States and the newly conquered territories did exist, the elimination of trade barriers, improved infrastructure including trains and latter automobiles and airships, industry and a well funded and run public education system greatly considerably raised the standard of living of the conquered after the final conquest, a fact that Zorian propaganda campaigns ruthlessly pointed to and Localist Terrorism dwindled away by 1905.

-Stuff after 1900 a WIP.
Last edited by Zor on 2008-08-21 02:52am, edited 2 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coiler wrote:Is anyone else getting impatient with all this waiting for the game to start?
Yes. That's probably also why we have three or four systems for figuring out your OOB by now, and all this "well what does ... cost?" type of stuff. People have had nothing better to do than to go around and around on this. So yeah, I know I'm getting a little impatient with all of that. :wink:

At any rate, we really do need a map of some sort to actually start anything. And honestly we don't have all of that even firmed down yet (too busy worrying about how big everyone's military is going to be). At this point I'd settle for a bunch of globs to show relative positioning and worry about scale later.

That and Stas hasn't been in here (actively) yet and nobody really wants to leave him behind. So there's that too.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

... and whilst we're in the business of waiting patiently, could someone tell me anything about the build-times of modern combat aircraft? How long would it take the average factory to assemble, say, a Rafale fighter, or an F-111? Would that time be measured in days, weeks, months?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Raj Ahten wrote:
Setzer wrote:yeah, that's part of why I thought "screw the points system". This gives me far more bang for my buck.
Did you use any particular sources to help work up your military? I've been vacillating between points and a budget based approach and the only reason I haven't gone with budget is I haven't been able to find decent sources to help me do it.
Shep posted a bunch of division OOBs in the Build your Military thread. I copied those more or less exactly. I checked Wikipedia for equipment.

I do have Eurofighters, about 48 of them for the fleet air arm. The rest will need to be bought later. But since I'm pretty close to Kingdom status, I don't think a gradual upgrade would be that hard to finance in game terms. As it is, I do have a lot to upgrade.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Your moderator is reporting for duty. Do you want me to start things off?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Just a question: Does my current post count allow me to go to Tsardom, or should I wait till the next incarnation after Shep nukes us all again?
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Your moderator is reporting for duty. Do you want me to start things off?
I would humbly suggest starting on Friday. That would give everyone some time to make last minute adjustments and get some form of map for the world up. What does everyone think?