The Alaska photography thread (56K Die) Complete!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The Alaska photography thread (56K Die) Complete!

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I returned from spent 2 weeks in Alaska, a glorious trip involving: Anchorage (1.25 days), horseback riding out of a remote 19th century cabin previously owned by a crazed mountain man who lived there alone and killed a bear with a 6 inch pocket knife (3 days), kayaking in a glacier field and the coast, hiking in the largest park in the US (McCarthey), and lots and lots of driving and ferries. :).

I'll be posting by "subject", first up: Horses!
After landing in the USA we spent the rest of the evening in Anchorage, then drove off to meet our guide who took us horseback riding to a remote cabin in the woods near Sewage.

Sunset from the Captain Cook hotel room in Anchorage.
Alaska in the summer has about 21 hours of light a day, this was taken at about 2350.

Green reflected in water
Nice nature shot, I love the greens and the grass.

IMG_4442
Snow Reflection
IMG_4461
IMG_4499

Another Horse for breakfast
This horse spent hours staring at us through the glass in the cabin while we ate. His brother though, came and watched us from inside the cabin :P. (More on that later).

Horses touch
Nuzzle Nuzzle.

Horse angle

Lying down horse group
It's tricky to find horses sitting or lying down.

Squatting horse
Horsefaced?

Guess who's coming for breakfast
You can't tell, but he was literally an inch from the food table, he kept nuzzling my dad on the head while we ate. (He could get around the door's "bar" somehow and kept poking his head inside. Smart horse :P)

Horse through greens
Skull

Ghost ladder
Turns out the cabin had an attic, with some of the animals the original owner had killed. (Including a bear pelt. Which he'd killed alone, in the winter, with a 6 inch pocket knife.)

Let sleeping mammals lie
Peanut butter walls
The cabin (which was restored in the 1980's) had walls lined on the outside with peanut butter can metal, and newspapers from the inside. surprising good for heat as well as keeping the water out. (It rained a LOT).

Packhorses go up
Fear the dot of a bear
The tiny black dot on the right is a bear and cub. It scared the shit out of my youngest sister, so the most I got to do on the second (very rainy) day was to hike by myself to the nearest mountain (which was the same one the bear was on). Unfortunately, there was another bear coming from the other side, and I ended up being ordered to go back halfway there :P.
The bear necessities

Our luxurious view and amenities. (There was no electricity or running water, obviously. The stove was also blocked for the first day and a half)

Sweep
Cleaning up as we left.

Grey mountain sky
Wonderful summer weather :P.

IMG_4301
Dammit, I need to go kayaking in 8 hours!

More to come, but comment on each batch on its own ;). (And ask questions or critique or whatnot :), I want quantity people!).
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2008-09-05 01:22pm, edited 6 times in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Needs pictures of fornicating horsies.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

You have internet there? Satellite?

So, you have pictures of Alaska...

They are sooo sooooooo nice!! :D
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

God I miss my home state... And people wonder why I am a nature-loving hippie...

The single most beautiful state in the union.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Horsies! Horses! Horse... horse.... WHORES!!!

Really nice, though. It looks like an amazing place, DAETH! Why do you always get to go to the awesomest of places, mangs?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I htink his family is fairly well-off. This is also the impression I get from Ace. Not that that is bad. A well-travelled individual exposed to multiple cultures is an infinitely better asset to the global society as a whole than a dumb redneck wetback, like, say, Havokeff.

Or his mom.

BURN! ;)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote:Needs pictures of fornicating horsies.
They were all male horses. There's a picture that includes horse nads if that'll help your deviant urges :P .
fusion wrote: You have internet there? Satellite?
Nope, there wasn't even cellphone reception in most places :P.
I'm back in Israel now, flew back yesterday (2 days flight and airports, blah).
Alyrium wrote:The single most beautiful state in the union.
Sorry mate, but It's hard for me to argue that, Colorado, California and New England in fall are some pretty amazing competition.
It's definitely one of the 3 most beautiful places I've seen in my life (I think Chile was more beautiful, although that might have been due to the constant clear skies there, unlike the constant clouds and fog of Alaska).
Shroom Man wrote:Horsies! Horses! Horse... horse.... WHORES!!!
No, loyal beasts actually. Cunning brutes, one kept opening the door and sneaking into the cabin while we ate.
shroom wrote: Why do you always get to go to the awesomest of places, mangs?
Because I'm more awesome than you? Nah, it's due to karma. It compensates for my crippling personal flaws. (That in combination with my natural wit, and gargantuan... shoulders :P )
Chardy wrote:This is also the impression I get from Ace.
That bastard, I told him the consequences of blabbing! Seriously though, did he say anything to you, or are you going off other impressions? (This is a serious question, PM me).
chardok wrote:A well-travelled individual exposed to multiple cultures is an infinitely better asset to the global society as a whole than a dumb redneck wetback, like, say, Havokeff.
So what are you then?

His mom? :P
Double Burn. :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Right, after the horses we drove from Sewage to Whittier and took a ferry from there to Valdez(?).

Road/Boat trip!

(A lot of the nicer stuff is at the end, i'm doing this chronologically ;)).

We didn't take a train, but while waiting for the huge kilometer+ long tunnel carved directly through a mountain to open, one passed by :):
Train 1-2
Train 1-1

Travel_1-2
Waiting for the tunnel to open. (It's one way at a time, so the cars take turns).
Who's the leg?
I found this amusing :P

Fat limo
The car after this was a SUV witha trailer attached. Come to think of it, almost all the cars there were SUV's, if they weren't RV's and lots had trailers attached :P.

We drove through the tunnel and settled down for a few hours wait for the ferry (and its 5 hour long cruise from Whittier to Valdez) in the small port town of Whittier.

Travel_1-5
Travel_1-6

Whittier docks

End of the bridge
I like how this random shot came out :).

Seagull feathers in motion
One out of only a few bird shots that came out well.
(Well, seagull shots, the Bald Eagles later in the trip came out decently despite the circumstances. Stay tuned!)

Statistics of Whittier
Evictions? LOL.

Whittier Harbor
Inside the lines
Outside lines
Travel_1-11
Some ships at the docks. Me and my dad were impressed/amazed at the size of it for such a poodunk town.

Ocean liner
No, we didn't go in this, but It's typical of the cruisers that most people go around Alaska in. Fucking huge ship.

Moose-Horse
Tourism at its finest. (It was next to a "Native arts" shop. My mom got stuck in there for a while :P).

troubled family
This car was next to us in the line waiting for the ferry, it was bouncing up and down like crazy from the 8 kids inside.
Christian raising at its finest :P.

Ferry Seats
Shot from the outside deck of the ferry. (We sat inside most of the time, it was pretty windy and cold outside, even though it was on the "inland" Ocean).

Travel_1-19

Engine Room
Taking back industrial secrets, Bwahahahaaa

Travel_1-21
Dum da da dum/Tune of the American flag anthem.

Travel_1-22
Travel_1-23
Travel_1-24
Travel_1-25
Travel_1-26

At last, we arrived at Valdez and bunked off to sleep for a few hours before arriving early the next morning to start packing our gear (and receiving kayaks, spray skirts, clown trousers) for 3 days of Kayaking, based at the Prince William Sound Lodge. (Lovely place/Chap).

Travel_1-27
Travel_1-28
Valdez Docks
Pretttyyy docks. (Again).

Again, comment and ask away :).

(And prior warning - All the upcoming pics from the Kayaking were taken with my dad's compact canon power shot, not his DSLR, but the quality on the ones I'll upload are decent enough, even with the Bald Eagles ;)).
Photography
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Those mountains look deficient in ice.

EDIT:

But that is AWESOME photography!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Those mountains look deficient in ice.
It's the middle of the summer :P.
But that is AWESOME photography!
Thankye :)
Photography
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Man those mountains are beautiful. :D

Nice pics.
Darth Mall
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mall »

Great shots!

You really have a thing for composing shots with reflections. Have you tried taking any panoramas?

I'll have to go thru all the shots of your flickr.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Darth Mall wrote:Great shots!

You really have a thing for composing shots with reflections. Have you tried taking any panoramas?
I tried, but my tripod fell apart first time I tried to use it, so I took the photos by hand (Same a I always do).
I have some shots that I hope to make into a panorama, I just need to get photoshop first :P
For once, I don't have a X3 larger album of Flickr on Picasa, only on my home computer ;). (Space limitations and all) :P .
Thanks!
Photography
Darth Mall
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mall »

DEATH wrote:

I tried, but my tripod fell apart first time I tried to use it, so I took the photos by hand (Same a I always do).
I have some shots that I hope to make into a panorama, I just need to get photoshop first :P
I used to use a tripod for panos, but mine is really crappy and not really worth carrying around. As long as you have shots that are overlapping you should be good to go.

You also don't need photoshop to do it. Theres a free program that makes really awesome panoramas here. I used that to make this picture from around 16 different ones. The super high res is here(warning ~15 megs)
For once, I don't have a X3 larger album of Flickr on Picasa, only on my home computer ;). (Space limitations and all) :P .
Thanks!
Ha. I just backed up my photo collection and I have over 50 gigs of pictures. Alot of that is RAW's though.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Darth Mall wrote:
DEATH wrote:

I used to use a tripod for panos, but mine is really crappy and not really worth carrying around.
At least yours didn't disintegrate ;).
As long as you have shots that are overlapping you should be good to go.
I do, sorta touching...
You also don't need photoshop to do it. Theres a free program that makes really awesome panoramas here. I used that to make this picture from around 16 different ones. The super high res is here(warning ~15 megs)
I tried autostitch actually, but it didn't work on two photos with a 80% overlap, let alone more distant ones... (It said that it lacked some sort of data).
Also, that 15MB image crashed my computer :P.
Thanks!
Ha. I just backed up my photo collection and I have over 50 gigs of pictures. Alot of that is RAW's though.
A mere 26 gigs here (Which I REALLY need to back-up, last time I did it fitted on one dvd). But it's 99.98% Jpegs, most 5MP at most (with a few at 7-8MP, and lots 2-3 MP).
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Right, I missed some travel and horse pics, so here's more and Misc, including from travel later in the trip. And, as a bonus, a collectible car group club!

Horse's Eye
I love this shot, although it didn't come out dark enough.
Inspired by an exhibit I saw in London

Dark Sky
Dark.

Glacier view
Amazing Glacier (More shots of the are will be uploaded in future).

Mountain and snow
Travel 2-1
Very Zen

Travel 2-3

Who would want to?
Iiiick.

My other Hummer's a Monster Truck
Americans have way to big cars. He had an even larger monster truck next to that, and the bike's a huge Harley.

Travel 2-5
Mountain Sky
Snow-sky
Travel 2-6
Everyone and his dog had his own plane and landing strip in Alaska. Or failing that, a lake to land in.

Plybar
Travel 2-22
Almost at McKinley McCarthy!

Shovelling
Roadwork was being done, and the road sure as hell needed it. (We got 2 flats on the same day, although one was probably caused on purpose).

The road goes ever on and on...
Bumpy to the end

Wheels
Gears left from some old contraption

Travel 2-19
dirty jar
Some leftover dishes in the cabin. No running water made this a pain

Speeding mountain
Shot of a mountain through the car window. (hence the blurred tree)

Gas station
Gas prices in America - Half the price elsewhere, but thrice the whining.

The road goes ever on and on...
The road stretches on...

Travel 2
A nice bench from which to watch

Travel 2-2

Zen act
Me Balancing

Ready to Go!

Collectible Car Owners rejoice!

Travel 2-8
Limited run Chevy sports car. Goes up to 160 MPH.

Travel 2-7
Travel 2-11
Travel 2-10
American car epitomized

Travel 2-9

a quickr pickr post
Photography
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I think your limited run chevy sportscar is...unless you mean the 'vette... actually a Plymouth Prowler.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

DEATH wrote:Shovelling

Roadwork was being done, and the road sure as hell needed it.
That's not shovelling, that's the fine unionized worker activity known as "shovel leaning", where a worker leans on a shovel to look like he's sorta doing something when he's standing around doing nothing. From which we derive the term "shovel leaner" to describe lazy-ass union workers.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Chardok wrote: I think your limited run chevy sportscar is...unless you mean the 'vette... actually a Plymouth Prowler.
I think that was its name, and that the company making it were bought or a subdivision of Chevrollete. (The owner explained, but I can't really remember by now).
At any rate, it was a frickin sweet sports car (Like all the other cars there, there wer eabout a dozen really awesome collectible cars).
aerius wrote:
DEATH wrote:Shovelling

Roadwork was being done, and the road sure as hell needed it.
That's not shovelling, that's the fine unionized worker activity known as "shovel leaning", where a worker leans on a shovel to look like he's sorta doing something when he's standing around doing nothing. From which we derive the term "shovel leaner" to describe lazy-ass union workers.
Well, they were the only crew working on the 300 mile area of the road :P. (And we had an extra flat after a few minutes driving on it so...).

Funny thing, we left our car in the park parking lot before heading into the McKinley/McCarthy town, we checked back on it a day later (but didn't drive it) and it was fine.

2 days later, we went back to it to drive away, and there was a puncture in the tire. Fortunately, 500 meters away there was a tire repair shop with a thriving amount of business, as recomended to us by the relative of the man who owned the shop who also guarded the car park.
What an amazing and lucky coincidence :roll: .
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Right, enough complaining about our car tyres being punctured, and onto the prettiest/funnest of all the days (If hardest to take a photo in) - Kayaking in the Glacier field!
panorama Ice
Bwahahaha, I finally managed to get autostich to work, beware my eventual onslaught of panoramas :D. (Even if they are handheld, and this one is about a third of the series of shots I took to encompass the glacier/ice field).

IMG_4691
IMG_4672
IMG_4670

IMG_4696
IMG_4660
IMG_4649
IMG_4645
IMG_4644
IMG_4636
IMG_4630
IMG_4629
IMG_4558
IMG_4556

IMG_4627
IMG_4626
IMG_4624
IMG_4619
IMG_4615
IMG_4607
IMG_4585
IMG_4581
IMG_4566

IMG_4692
This was all done near the town of Valdez (Yes, where the Exon Valdez crashed, we saw the site).
Pretty nice, huh? Comments, critique, send em on :)
Photography
Darth Mall
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Mall »

Great stuff. I really like the one with the front of the kayak in the shot!

A bit late now, but for the panorama, did you shoot in one of the auto modes, or one of the priority modes?

It looks like your exposures changed as you took the pictures, causing the right to be a bit off.

The dark sky one is great aswell! Alaska looks like a beautiful place to visit
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Darth Mall wrote:Great stuff. I really like the one with the front of the kayak in the shot!

A bit late now, but for the panorama, did you shoot in one of the auto modes, or one of the priority modes?
P I think :P. (In a canon compact)
It looks like your exposures changed as you took the pictures, causing the right to be a bit off.
Looks about the same to me, I had another shot with a different exposure but didn't use it...You may be right at any rate.
The dark sky one is great aswell! Alaska looks like a beautiful place to visit
Oh, it is :D.

Right, more Kayaking photos from the second and third days, and some photos that I took with the dslr before the kayaking started (On the first sunny day):

Bokai

IMG_0444
IMG_0443
IMG_0407
IMG_4919
IMG_4912
IMG_0442
IMG_0440
IMG_0431
IMG_0426
IMG_0422

IMG_4881
IMG_4879
IMG_4878
IMG_4871
IMG_4867
IMG_4861
IMG_0483
IMG_0479
IMG_0470
Chromatic

IMG_0455
IMG_0454

a quickr pickr post
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Dang, I've been forgetting to update this thread, what with the leck of comments and all ;).

Right, we're nearing the end - Last event of the trip - Hiking in McKinley/McCarthy park, the largest natural reserve/wilderness park in the US of A. (It once had a gargantuan copper mine in the first half of the 20th century, but it pettered out, I'll post pics of the mining town in the next update).

This includes the arrival in the area, and photos from our fly-in hike. (We took a small Cessna and flew to one of the glaciers to hike there, I put in some of the photos from during the flight, as well as that from the glacier and mountains, not to mention the town itself).
IMG_0581
A church. Tiny hick village of 15 people in winter, 120 in summer, of course it'll have a church ;).

The Ma Johnson hotel
The hotel we slept in. I slept in the attached building, a former brothel.
Yes, I slept in a whorehouse alone, and still didn't manage to get laid, laugh it up fuckers :P.
IMG_0588
IMG_0596

IMG_4993
"Ah wasn't drinkin, honest "Hic"."

IMG_0598

IMG_0602
lost cause

IMG_0604
IMG_0605
IMG_0607
IMG_0609
IMG_0610
IMG_0612
dog tears
IMG_4953
IMG_4968
IMG_0616
IMG_0620
IMG_0632
IMG_0650
IMG_0658
IMG_0659

IMG_5007
IMG_0509
IMG_0532
IMG_5003
Typical clothing for a true Brit ;).
IMG_0660
IMG_0666
IMG_0672
IMG_0686
IMG_0694
IMG_0695
IMG_0697
IMG_0741
IMG_0779
IMG_0787
IMG_0792
IMG_0803
IMG_0804
IMG_0805
IMG_0807
IMG_0838
IMG_0895
IMG_0898
IMG_0914
IMG_0915
IMG_0933
IMG_0950
IMG_0963
IMG_0977
IMG_0980
IMG_0986

a quickr pickr post

I left the img names in for a reason, comment or critique, lest this suck up flickr's bandwidth for naught! :).
Photography
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Right, screw it, I'm finishing this damn thread :P.

This is the rest of the stuff from the McCarthy Mining town (What was left of it, this was once the biggest copper mine in the world until it was shut down), some more stuff along the way and a sunset in Anchorage.

Oh, and me flying a plane. Without crashing it. Yet. :twisted: .

IMG_1032
IMG_1031
IMG_1030
IMG_1012
IMG_1005
IMG_0988
IMG_0976
IMG_1043
IMG_1052
IMG_1183
IMG_1182
IMG_1077
IMG_5064
IMG_5007
IMG_4992
IMG_5057
IMG_5055
IMG_5050
IMG_1176
IMG_1173
IMG_1170
IMG_1168
IMG_1163
IMG_1156
IMG_1128
IMG_1081

a quickr pickr post

This has been your Alaskan photo thread :D.
Photography