Inside a Foxtrot-class submarine (56k out)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Inside a Foxtrot-class submarine (56k out)

Post by Bounty »

Boat!

I was strolling down the coast when this boat caught my eye. It's a 1960's vintage Foxtrot submarine, open to the public. Now, I'm not good with confined spaces, but an opportunity like this I couldn't pass up.

I'm not sure about the maintenance on the boat itself; the outside looked pretty weathered, but that might be normal for submarines. The insides were supposedly kept exactly as they were when the Russians sold it, apart from a few extra light fixtures. Supposedly. To me it looked like it could fall apart at any moment and the thing needs a new paint job bad.

It's not seaworthy any more as far as I know, especially now that they installed stairs in the torpedo rooms.

Aft torpedo room:

Lower ranks' loo and sink:

Engineering spaces:

Crew quarters - higher-ups only:

Control room; a very cramped space, but part of it was cordoned off:

Executive shitter off the bridge:

View through the periscope:

Forward torpedo room:

And finally coming back up through the bow:

Last edited by Bounty on 2008-09-09 07:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

NicePics! I'm Jealous! We had one docked at the Port of Providence as a museum but it sunk in a blizzard last winter before i could check it out. Been down ever since. Navy Divers have been down to see if they can re float it, but it's likely rotted to shit by now.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Cool. Looks a lot smaller than the USS Blueback I toured last year in Portland.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Knife wrote:Cool. Looks a lot smaller than the USS Blueback I toured last year in Portland.
One the inside perhaps, but it's 30m longer than a Barbel on the outside. This class was the largest conventional Soviet submarine.

The inside was ridiculously cramped. I'd always envisioned submarines as small, but very neat and precise - this however, looked like the basement of a mdad scientist. Pipes and gauges everywhere, no place to stand except in a very narrow corridor down the centerline... all the time I was there it felt like the walls were closing in on me, and that was with an almost-empty boat and no running engines. I don't even want to imagine what it'd been like at sea.

It's too bad the sail was off-limits, I'd have loved to see what was in there.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Jesus that's one corroded as fuck commie boat.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

MKSheppard wrote:Jesus that's one corroded as fuck commie boat.
The last extensive repairs I know of were in 2002. All the way through the tour I kept wondering if the corrosion was "normal" or if it was just bad maintenance.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Judging by the condition of the Foxtrot we have down in Long Beach - looks like it's on the lower end of 'normal.'
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Wow. I've been into caves less crampy