2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Right now there is no reason that the Patriots can't still win the AFC East easily, the only obstacle to that right now is Buffalo. The only speculation I have is whether or not its because the Pats are that good even without Brady or if the Dolphins and Jets are just that bad that the Pats will get a playoff spot by near default.

Of the games I watched:

-Kansas City is horrible, Herm your days are probably numbered. You made the RAIDURRS look good for crying out loud.

-Will tomorrow be the day that the sports world wakes up and stops giving the Chargers so much credit? They haven't won an important game in ages, and that defense, even with Merriman healthy, is overrated.

-Indy's season hinges on Peyton's knee. If I were wearing a horseshoe on my helmet i'd be tearing my hair out trying to figure out a way to get that running game going to give him a break.

-Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland. Taking into account the weather and taking into account that the Steelers have a good defense, i'm not surprised the Browns came up lame. But I was shocked when the Browns went for 3 points instead of going for the TD when they had the ball deep in Steeler territory on their next to last drive. I was even more shocked when the Steeler didn't kick the field goal deep in Browns territory which would have put them up by 7 points. The defense held out to make it a non issue, but I thought each situation ended with poor decision making. Cleveland fans should call in to the team's front office and ask where the franchise's balls have ended up.

-New York vs. St. Louis. One positive from this game for the Rams. Kansas City played worse, which means the Rams aren't the suckiest team in the state this week. I swear a black hole of football ineptitude was created somewhere off of I-70 and has spread outward. Somehow it has not affected the Missouri Tigers.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nah, Herm is fine. The whole franchise went into this season knowing that it was a fresh start year. I think they have like 5 players on the team that have more than three years experience. Huard, Gonzales, Johnson, Surtain and a few O lineman, otherwise it is almost all rookies, second and third year players starting.
In fact, they will probably trade Johnson and Gonzales after this year to grab some more draft picks to keep the youth movement going.

And the Raiders are much better this year. Of course it does look like Kiffin is going to get canned, which is a horrible move and like I said, is just going to fuck the team.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Thriller of a game in Dallas. Dallas, unfortunately, won, but it was a superb game.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Thriller of a game in Dallas. Dallas, unfortunately, won, but it was a superb game.
I suppose, if you don't like defense.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I guess Jerry Jones's balls taste like sweet candy to Tony Kornheiser. I don't think I've ever been annoyed by a commentator quite as much as I was by him Monday night, with "Let's go Cowboys!" at the end being the turd that broke the camel's back. Unless and until ESPN fires that useless sycophant, I'm never watching Monday Night Football with the sound on again.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

RedImperator wrote:I guess Jerry Jones's balls taste like sweet candy to Tony Kornheiser. I don't think I've ever been annoyed by a commentator quite as much as I was by him Monday night, with "Let's go Cowboys!" at the end being the turd that broke the camel's back. Unless and until ESPN fires that useless sycophant, I'm never watching Monday Night Football with the sound on again.
Actually, I had the sound off because I didn't want to interrupt my girlfriend while she studied. I also had the sound off on Sunday during the games then.

I highly recommend it. Turn off the sound, put on some music and just watch the damn game, it's far more enjoyable to me.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Spartan wrote:
RedImperator wrote:I guess Jerry Jones's balls taste like sweet candy to Tony Kornheiser. I don't think I've ever been annoyed by a commentator quite as much as I was by him Monday night, with "Let's go Cowboys!" at the end being the turd that broke the camel's back. Unless and until ESPN fires that useless sycophant, I'm never watching Monday Night Football with the sound on again.
Actually, I had the sound off because I didn't want to interrupt my girlfriend while she studied. I also had the sound off on Sunday during the games then.

I highly recommend it. Turn off the sound, put on some music and just watch the damn game, it's far more enjoyable to me.
The shame of it is, the play-by-play guy is OK and I love Ron Jaworski, one of the few color commentators who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about. But Kornholer just ruins the whole thing for me. I think what I need is some kind of selective mute device, which turns off the sound only when he's talking. Though with the amount of time he runs his mouth, that might amount to just turning off the sound anyway.

Actually, you know what would be awesome? A sound option where you hear the sound of the game and the crowd and the refs when there's a penalty, but no yip-yap from the TV people.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'd love that option. I can't stand Tony Kornholer. Of all the sportswriters in the country, why did they pick him?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote:I'd love that option. I can't stand Tony Kornholer. Of all the sportswriters in the country, why did they pick him?
Isn't it obvious? More exposure for PTI, and it helps justify adding more PTI style talk to their already terrible halftime reporting. Kornheiser sucks at Monday Night Football, although I will say he is not even close to as terrible as Joe Buck.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I miss Dennis Miller. I would crack up listening to him spout references out that I just knew 99% of the people watching didn't get. And then laugh his head off. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I'm going to stick in my predictions for this week a little early:

Kansas City at Atlanta
Oakland at Buffalo
Tampa Bay at Chicago
Carolina at Minnesota
Miami at New England
Cincinnati at New York Giants
Houston at Tennessee
Arizona at Washington
New Orleans at Denver
Detroit at San Francisco
St. Louis at Seattle
Cleveland at Baltimore
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
Dallas at Green Bay
New York Jets at San Diego
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The problem with Miller was that he was a comedian, but the third funniest guy in the booth.

Tonight on NFL Network is the first part of the Missing Rings series, where they do profiles of the best teams that didn't win the Super Bowl. And of course they start with the 1981 Chargers.
:banghead:

The team was one of the best, but was undone by an asshole of an owner who traded Hall of Fame DE Fred Dean to the 49ers, and the weather. Their first playoff game was in Miami, where the temperature and humidity were almost 90. The second game was played in Cincinnati, where it was -59 with gale force winds.
:banghead:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hey Fred Dean! He helped my beloved 49ers win one of their five rings. You guys don't even have one? Wow, man that sucks.

Edit: Didn't you guys get to the SB in 94? What happened in that game??
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Actually, Dean got you one. Then Klein thought "Gee, I haven't fucked up my team quite enough!" and sent you Louie Kelcher and Gary "Big Hands" Johnson for good measure so you could get a second.
Edit: Didn't you guys get to the SB in 94? What happened in that game??
:finger:

:lol:
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

havokeff wrote: Edit: Didn't you guys get to the SB in 94? What happened in that game??
Wasn't that Steve Young's "Monkey Off My Back" Super Bowl? :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Kansas City at Atlanta
Oakland at Buffalo
Tampa Bay at Chicago
Carolina at Minnesota
Miami at New England
Cincinnati at New York Giants
Houston at Tennessee
Arizona at Washington
New Orleans at Denver
Detroit at San Francisco
St. Louis at Seattle
Cleveland at Baltimore
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
Dallas at Green Bay
New York Jets at San Diego

I'll copycat and do mine today too. 8)
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The Steeler-Eagle game looks like it could very well be the best one on the slate. The Eagles offense has been nothing short of volcanic, and they're looking to be up to five out of their six receivers this week, where they had been working with four against St. Louis and Dallas. But the Steeler defense completely handicapped Houston and Cleveland, and McNabb has struggled against Pittsburgh in the past. It really depends on if the vaunted Eagle secondary can regain the pride they had before the Dallas game. Because if the run defense can hold Parker as well as they did Jackson and Barber, then it'll come to Roethlisberger, Ward, Miller, and Holmes versus Samuel, Brown, and Sheppard.
Cos Dashit
Jedi Knight

Post by Cos Dashit »

8 - 7 last week (Houston game was rescheduled), 14 - 17 (0.452) overall. If only Miami can achieve that this season.

Picks for week 3:

KC @ ATL
OAK @ BUF
TB @ CHI
CAR @ MIN
MIA @ NE
CIN @ NYG
HOU @ TEN
ARI @ WAS
NO @ DEN
DET @ SF
STL @ SEA
CLE @ BAL
JAC @ IND
PIT @ PHI
DAL @ GB
NYJ @ SD
Please forgive any idiotic comments, stupid observations, or dumb questions in above post, for I am but a college student with little real world experience.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Brian Billick presents the Nuts and Bolts of the Tampa 2 Defense

Sure, we all knew it was a 2-deep shell with mobile MIKE linebacker, but Catie Couric better hope CBS execs don't watch NFLN.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

RedImperator wrote:The shame of it is, the play-by-play guy is OK and I love Ron Jaworski, one of the few color commentators who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about. But Kornholer just ruins the whole thing for me. I think what I need is some kind of selective mute device, which turns off the sound only when he's talking. Though with the amount of time he runs his mouth, that might amount to just turning off the sound anyway.
Mike Tirico's one of the better commentators available to them, IMO. Jaws is a good color commentator because he has experience, but he also has experience with analyzing the game from on the field. Kornheiser is a waste of good oxygen.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

The Dark wrote:
RedImperator wrote:The shame of it is, the play-by-play guy is OK and I love Ron Jaworski, one of the few color commentators who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about. But Kornholer just ruins the whole thing for me. I think what I need is some kind of selective mute device, which turns off the sound only when he's talking. Though with the amount of time he runs his mouth, that might amount to just turning off the sound anyway.
Mike Tirico's one of the better commentators available to them, IMO. Jaws is a good color commentator because he has experience, but he also has experience with analyzing the game from on the field. Kornheiser is a waste of good oxygen.
I guess I'm one of the few who likes Kornheiser a hell of a lot more than that meatheaded moron Jaworski. Tony's stuff isn't always relevent, but his purpose is to add some levity to what are generally boring ass games. "Jaws" is the worst color guy ever, and I mean worse than Theisman, and Mike Golic who does ESPN 2 broadcasts. He's fucking boring, his analysis is either overly technical or so off base it's just pathetic. He just doesn't get it, he's there to explain it to people who don't LIVE football, and he constantly talks over Tirico.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This week's winners:

Falcons
Bills
Bears
Panthers
Patriots
Giants
Titans
Cardinals
Donkeys
49ers
Seahawks
Browns
Jaguars
Eagles
Packers
Chargers
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Barring a disaster, this upoming week could be the first week in board history that Dolphin fans need not hang their heads in complete shame!

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

.....Miami has defeated New England?! Oh SHIT, the apocalypse is surely upon us! :shock:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

*looks slightly upward*

We win? Oh, cool! We win!